X-E2, got it, what a beast!

Started Nov 8, 2013 | Discussions
threeOh Regular Member • Posts: 325
Re: X-E2, got it, what a beast!

grasmuc wrote:

2 questions for OP:

Is it now possible to zoom in to 100% in a raw picture (without simultaneously shooting L fine jpg)?

I'm guessing the zoom is limited by the size of the jpeg preview of the raw file. Its significantly smaller than the j or r files.

Shawn67 Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
Re: x100 wife age 40. True age 50. X100s age 60. X-E2 age?

"Does it matter? I think little else matters."

The problem isn't the camera, it is the way you are lighting your subject.

If you have an issue with the way a camera is portraying the shadows on a face don't have shadows on that face.

Shawn

svx94 Senior Member • Posts: 2,289
Delete function change

The X-M1 started the new delete, and I don't like it neither. Hope they go back to the simple and common way.

svx94's gear list:svx94's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +9 more
mark rupert Regular Member • Posts: 271
Re: Same narrow exposure bracketing range? (nt)

point taken.

-- hide signature --

Mark

mark rupert's gear list:mark rupert's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
mark rupert Regular Member • Posts: 271

Why not take a moment to drop them a note about it?

http://www.fujifilm.com/contact/

In light of the comments here, I did. Who knows, maybe it could help them decide to include that in a firmware update.

-- hide signature --

Mark

mark rupert's gear list:mark rupert's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,340
Re: Digital split image

Elusivesouls wrote:

I have found the trick with the X-E1's focusing peaking so to use the LCD screen, not the EVF, as the LCD tends to show "the ants" more so than the EVF. They are far more visible on the LCD than the EVF.

The other trick I use is to set the camera to JPG+Raw and use a B&W film simulation. This will cause the image on the back of the LCD to be B&W when you view it to take the picture and also causes "the ants" to be far more visible than when using color.

You can then always use the in-camera RAW conversion to turn your image in to a different film simulation AND you always have the RAW to do it on the computer at home also.

So basically... LCD+B&W film simulation = Better Focus Peaking on the X-E1.

Try it out, it helped me.

I like the EVF better for studio work, this workaround you describe sounds a bit over the top to me, I cannot see me hold the X-E1 (or 2...) half a metre in front of me, like in the early days of digital P&S shooting with a longer lens attached and focus peaking.

I can only gather from your explanation that this technique you describe would be better than split screen?

Really? If that was the case then this "new" feature (split screen for manual focussing) must be really, really bad ...

Thanks for explaining what works for you, but I cannot see me use this ever! Imagine somebody in the Nikon/Canon/Sony camp reads this and tries to visualise as to what hoops you have to jump through to make manual focussing work ...

So your take on the X-E2 is that the split screen just a rather silly but non-workable feature - or were you only commenting on the X-E1?

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
peevee1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,247

a l b e r t wrote:

I read from the Oly forum that even the OM-D EM-1's CDAF fails to lock focus on horizontal contrast.

E-M5 works fine.

I think X-E2 is now on the top of the heap in terms of AF speed and accuracy for all mirrorless cameras.

Baseless guess.

mgn2 Regular Member • Posts: 138
Re: Shutter lag time

bigpigbig wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Thanks. What would really help me is some comment on shutter lag when using manual focus or with focus locked. That presumably would be pure shutter lag - separate from any residual focus issues. The X-E1 seems to do some sort of dance with the diaphragm before firing the shutter which causes this shutter lag. I recall that I read somewhere that a recent firmware upgrade fixed this with another Fuji camera - was it the X100 or X100S? If my recollection is accurate, then it would be odd for Fuji to put out a new camera without a fix like this. All the fast focussing in the world ain't going to help you if there is still shutter lag. (Although it is possible that part of what I'm attributing to shutter lag may be EVF lag, but if so that should be gone too.)

B

Did some testings on shutter lag. It is vitally non-existent now. I tried MF or pre-focus with shutter release half pressed and was able to capture the moment when I see it on the EVF.

But even I have instant pic review off, the EVF black out time is still too long. With MF engaged, the best I can do is about 2fps max.

So the next thing Fuji needs to improve is the EVF black out time. I think this can only happen if there is a separate CPU dedicated for the EVF while the other CPU works on processing the sensor data.

I also did some tests on face detect AF. It too is very good and gets me a proper exposure on my 4-yr old's face. But don't expect very precise AF with aperture wide open. With normal AF, I can point the AF box to his eye and get a sharper picture that way even when shooting at f=1.4.

Darn. I was hoping the EVF blackout would have gotten better (shorter).

A friend of mine uses a Sony mirrorless (not a very new one either) and the blackout is almost nonexistent. With the XE-1, if the subject is moving across the frame and I want to shoot a sequence, often after the first shot, I have lost the subject completely. I tried his Sony and at 8fps it was fast enough to track a runner perpendicular to the camera.

This is exactly my concern with X cameras. Even if the AF speed of the X-E2 makes it the fastest mirror-less in the world you still can't just 'gun' the thing while shooting a fast moving object/person/toddler hoping to 'capture the moment' much like with a DSLR+fast lens. You can do this reasonably well with the NEX-6. Although the JPEG IQ (to my eyes) of the Fuji is better than the NEX-6, the 35mm Fuji is better than the Sony 35mm by some margin (some say), it seems like the fact that Fuji 35mm is slower and noisier to operate than the Sony 35mm, and it is significantly larger/heavier. So there are trade-offs, but the EVF black-out is a deal-killer for me. Plus you can hand over the NEX to anyone and ask them to point and shoot like their smartphone. Tried that with the X100 before and got horrible results. I'm going to go ahead and buy the Sony 35mm and a wide-angle and long zoom eventually. For times when I have ample time to compose a shot, I will use the X100. Thank you for your help.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 21,860

mgn2 wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

Thanks. What would really help me is some comment on shutter lag when using manual focus or with focus locked. That presumably would be pure shutter lag - separate from any residual focus issues. The X-E1 seems to do some sort of dance with the diaphragm before firing the shutter which causes this shutter lag. I recall that I read somewhere that a recent firmware upgrade fixed this with another Fuji camera - was it the X100 or X100S? If my recollection is accurate, then it would be odd for Fuji to put out a new camera without a fix like this. All the fast focussing in the world ain't going to help you if there is still shutter lag. (Although it is possible that part of what I'm attributing to shutter lag may be EVF lag, but if so that should be gone too.)

B

Did some testings on shutter lag. It is vitally non-existent now. I tried MF or pre-focus with shutter release half pressed and was able to capture the moment when I see it on the EVF.

But even I have instant pic review off, the EVF black out time is still too long. With MF engaged, the best I can do is about 2fps max.

So the next thing Fuji needs to improve is the EVF black out time. I think this can only happen if there is a separate CPU dedicated for the EVF while the other CPU works on processing the sensor data.

I also did some tests on face detect AF. It too is very good and gets me a proper exposure on my 4-yr old's face. But don't expect very precise AF with aperture wide open. With normal AF, I can point the AF box to his eye and get a sharper picture that way even when shooting at f=1.4.

A friend of mine uses a Sony mirrorless (not a very new one either) and the blackout is almost nonexistent. With the XE-1, if the subject is moving across the frame and I want to shoot a sequence, often after the first shot, I have lost the subject completely. I tried his Sony and at 8fps it was fast enough to track a runner perpendicular to the camera.

This is exactly my concern with X cameras. Even if the AF speed of the X-E2 makes it the fastest mirror-less in the world you still can't just 'gun' the thing while shooting a fast moving object/person/toddler hoping to 'capture the moment' much like with a DSLR+fast lens. You can do this reasonably well with the NEX-6. Although the JPEG IQ (to my eyes) of the Fuji is better than the NEX-6, the 35mm Fuji is better than the Sony 35mm by some margin (some say), it seems like the fact that Fuji 35mm is slower and noisier to operate than the Sony 35mm, and it is significantly larger/heavier. So there are trade-offs, but the EVF black-out is a deal-killer for me. Plus you can hand over the NEX to anyone and ask them to point and shoot like their smartphone. Tried that with the X100 before and got horrible results. I'm going to go ahead and buy the Sony 35mm and a wide-angle and long zoom eventually. For times when I have ample time to compose a shot, I will use the X100. Thank you for your help.

Give the EX2 a try.  I have found that with photographing couples and kids, my X-Pro1, while not as fast as my Nikon D700, keeps up just fine.  To be honest, I still use a lot of manual film cameras.  The Fuji focuses way faster than manual, and I never lose shots using my manual gear.  Less of an issue than many people think.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
1drey
1drey Senior Member • Posts: 1,420

I'l do it as well.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7R +7 more
mgn2 Regular Member • Posts: 138

Dave Luttmann wrote:

mgn2 wrote:

bigpigbig wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

B

Give the EX2 a try. I have found that with photographing couples and kids, my X-Pro1, while not as fast as my Nikon D700, keeps up just fine. To be honest, I still use a lot of manual film cameras. The Fuji focuses way faster than manual, and I never lose shots using my manual gear. Less of an issue than many people think.

I think you are probably a highly skilled photographer. I also get plenty of great shots with my X100, but I won't lie, its not easy and I get blurry shots when somebody else is handed over the camera. I'd like more keepers in low-light and when speed matters, and the Fuji X cameras do not seem to be good at that, specially when considering you are putting in about $2-3k into a body + couple of lenses.

sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,718

bigpigbig wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

B

Albert, have you tried continuous mode? The EVF blackout (actually not a blackout but a microsecond freeze frame) seems incredibly short then (shorter than single shot mode). It's comparable with the E-M1 (which I'm confident beats the NEX-6).

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
sgoldswo
Re: Entirely agree

Brian_Downunda wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

The camera is a hell of a lot faster too in use as is the viewfinder. The lag between pressing the shutter and taking the picture seems almost eliminated. Image quality is the same, but it's much more satisfying to use because the focus and lag issues have been addressed.

This appears to answer a question I just asked albert in another part of this thread. I wanted to know about shutter lag when using manual or locked focus, i.e. pure shutter lag unrelated to focus. But if you had anything more to add to what albert might say on this topic I'd be very keen to hear, because this is a critical question for me. Thanks.

B.

Consistent with Albert's observations the shutter lag is pretty much gone. Using the X-E2 with the 23mm is scarily fast.

Opinionator Junior Member • Posts: 27

Was the initial review written for money from Ken Rockwell? User says he owns half a dozen fujis? LOL

sgoldswo

peevee1 wrote:

a l b e r t wrote:

I read from the Oly forum that even the OM-D EM-1's CDAF fails to lock focus on horizontal contrast.

E-M5 works fine.

I think X-E2 is now on the top of the heap in terms of AF speed and accuracy for all mirrorless cameras.

Baseless guess.

I just tried my E-M1 and it has no issues with horizontal contrast. However, speaking as someone who owns an E-M1 and an X-E2 (and didn't expect the earth in terms of focus speed for the X-E2), the X-E2 is extremely fast to focus. Not always as fast as an E-M1 but sometimes faster. It really depends on the lens mounted on each camera. So albert may not be completely correct, but I don't think M43s users will be able to point at the focus speed of Fuji cameras as a weakness of any sort any more.

Chris G Hughes Regular Member • Posts: 391

Opinionator wrote:

Was the initial review written for money from Ken Rockwell? User says he owns half a dozen fujis? LOL

Chill. Dude's been a member since 2000. No reason he shouldn't have a half dozen Fuji cams. I see no reason to question his cred.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Chris G Hughes Regular Member • Posts: 391

sgoldswo wrote:
but I don't think M43s users will be able to point at the focus speed of Fuji cameras as a weakness of any sort any more.

For me that fairly well cinches it. The AF seems to have been the only really significant weakness of the X-E1. All the other things strike me as quirks. Many have been fixed, some new ones introduced, others remain... basically the same for any mature camera.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
barba
barba Regular Member • Posts: 108
ISO 6400 image problems?

How about pics @ ISO 6400, are they usable?

I'm worried after reading this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3573583

It seems to be quite some problems with skintones in specific. Have you guys who own the X-E2 experienced anything like that?

barba's gear list:barba's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS LG G4
sgoldswo
no problems with anything other than the internet...

barba wrote:

How about pics @ ISO 6400, are they usable?

I'm worried after reading this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3573583

It seems to be quite some problems with skintones in specific. Have you guys who own the X-E2 experienced anything like that?

I haven't seen the kind of effects referenced in the other thread at all, I've been incredibly impressed by the image quality from the camera which is peerless at an APS-C sensor size, but LR 5.3 RC produces screwy skin tones with RAW files from the E-M1 and E-P5 too so anything is possible.

In honesty, there is always this kind of noise around a major camera release. Mud gets thrown. Some of it sticks. This doesn't strike me as anything other than an issue with a beta version of LR

barba
barba Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: no problems with anything other than the internet...

Thanks! Your post calmed me down. LR might be the problem then. Now I'm back waiting for an email from my vendor telling that they have my X-E2 in stock.

barba's gear list:barba's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS LG G4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads