X-E2, got it, what a beast!

Started Nov 8, 2013 | Discussions
justin_time Contributing Member • Posts: 875
Re: The proper delete key behavior

a l b e r t wrote:

It seems a surprisingly dumb thing to do. Fine to have those extended options in a Delete function in the menu - you are probably only going there if you want to delete more than 1 photo. But every digital camera I have owned has only permitted deleting the displayed photo with the delete button. It is bound to cause someone strife sometime, even apart from the hassle of the extra button push to do what you normally want a delete button to do.

Hopefully there will be a FW update to give at least the option of having a "regular" delete button.

I think Fuji should implement a context sensitive delete function. When you're viewing a single photo, it'll default to delete a single frame. You can press OK repeatedly to keep the delete function going until you hit back.

Now, when you're viewing multiple photos at once (zoomed out), pressing delete should enable Delete Selected Frames.

The Delete All Frames is really not necessary.

Agree this context sensitive delete would be good.  I do think the new delete function is basically OK though. With X-E1 it took too much time to delete unwanted photos.

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
oking23 Regular Member • Posts: 271
Re: Shutter lag time

a l b e r t wrote:

The focus speed has been less of an issue for me than lag - EVF lag and shutter lag. I gather from these and other comments that EVF lag is gone. But what about shutter lag? I find that when I'd trying to capture a changing scene that what I get is not quite what I thought I was getting. I'm don't expect D3s responsiveness, but I need something a little better than what I'm getting on the X-E1.

B.

Actually, there is still some EVF lag, it is not completely gone, but more useable than before.

I think shutter lag is somewhat tied to AF speed. If PDAF is working (i.e.: scene with good vertical contrast), then the lag time can be very low. But I've yet to play with it extensively to confirm whether it is now good to go. With D3s and 24-70 AF-S lens, AF is so fast that I can pretty much capture the facial expression as soon as I see it in the viewfinder. I'm not sure if this can be done with X-E2 yet. For sure it is impossible with X-E1.

Thanks for your comments.  I am disappointed to read that there is still the EVF and shutter lag.  The lag and automatic focus are my complaints about the X-E1, and why the S5 remains a favorite.  However, I did order the X-E2 from Adorama and will test it for myself.

oking23's gear list:oking23's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +20 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208
Re: X-E2, got it, what a beast!

If I hadn't a lot of lenses for my current system, I think that x-e2 would be my present choice.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
mgn2 Regular Member • Posts: 138

a l b e r t wrote:

So would you say you prefer the Fuji X-E2 to the Sony NEX-6?

I have an X100 and a NEX-6 + 1650PZ lens + Sigma 30mm and am considering putting more money into the system and buying a faster lens like the SEL 35mm 1.8 OSS or ditching Sony NEX and switching over to the Fuji X system.

I love my X100 for the colors, JPEG output, size, looks, manual controls but the AF is just not fast enough for taking pictures of a fast-moving toddler in low light indoors, so went for the NEX. The NEX has worked out ok, but I need a faster lens, and the Sony 35mm is $450 (overpriced IMO but perhaps justified by the OSS). I also would like the small size of the Sony (pocket-able in jackets). If I get the X-E2 + kit lens + 1 'normal' prime, do you think I'd get similar or better AF performance and how much bigger/heavier would this be than the Sony equivalent?

I'd say I can finally let go of my NEX-6 and my X10.

The NEX-6 has more firmware features since day 1, and it still has some useful features the X-E2 does not have. It also has more popping colors for OOC JPEGs, and it pulls up shadow detail much better than all the X cameras as far as JPEG is concerned. But it absolutely sucks when it comes to skin tone or flash exposure. And the camera menu is very cluttered.

I think AF is now on par or better than my NEX-6. I don't know if it is still fast enough for shooting toddlers, need some tests with my 4-yr old. But my initial feeling is that it is still not DSLR fast in terms of shutter lag / AF speed (when PDAF is not engaged).

Obviously, if you get the better glass, the X-E2 combo will be heavier, but than again, the same will happen if you get better glass for the NEX. To me, there is no NEX glass with f=1.4, so it has to be lighter because of that. Also, it depends on which NEX model you compare to, i.e.: NEX-5 or NEX-6/7, the latter is heavier.

Thanks Albert. Your review of the X-E2 is very encouraging but to me I'm not convinced that the X-E2 will be leaps and bounds better than my NEX-6 in terms of AF and I'd be giving up the pocket-ability of my NEX+1650PZ or Sigma 30mm (or even the Sony 35mm 1.8 OSS).

I am mainly interested in  a body + kit lens + 35mm fast prime (and perhaps a wide-angle prime and long zoom down the line) while keeping the size/weight down, regardless of which system I go with. I used to have a Nikon D40 + Nikkor 35 1.8 which was on the camera 80% of the time, 15% 18-55 kit lens, 5% 55-200 zoom. I assume the X-E2 + kit lens will be much larger than the NEX-6 + kit lens, but the X-E2 + 35mm will be about the same size as the NEX-6+ 35mm. I already have the 23mm covered with the X100. With regards to a 1.4 lens, I use a Minolta 50mm f1.4 that is very fast but a little too long for indoor use.

So my main concern in moving from NEX-6 to X-E2 ultimately would be the usability/AF/speed/size/weight of one camera vs. the other using the respective 35mm prime lenses. Is this something you can comment on? Anyway, I am not a pro and the marginal improvement in my photographic ability is not going to go that far I reckon!

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 8,087
Re: Zoomed MF/AF behavior

a l b e r t wrote:

grasmuc wrote:

2 questions for OP:

Is it now possible to zoom in to 100% in a raw picture (without simultaneously shooting L fine jpg)?

The X-E1 has live view but in MF mode only allows to zoom in to the center of the image, not out of the center. Is that now possible with the X-E2?

Thx Chris

No, you still can't zoom to 100% with RAW only capture.

When you go into MF, it'll zoom to the last remembered MF box position. This is independent of the AF box and it keeps the box position even after you cycled the power.

In AF mode, pressing the wheel to zoom will zoom to the selected AF box.

This is a really good feature on the X-E1.  I just move the AF square and then the MF magnification goes right there for critical focus.  I use this a lot and it is especially valuable with manual lenses that have odd focus falloff over the frame.  Since there is a dedicated button on the X-E1 for this, it is very easy to reposition the AF box on the fly.

I don't like cameras that are "too smart" and they reset stuff you don't want to change.  The X-E1 is not too smart that way.  It's a tradeoff and maybe it would be useful to have an option in the setup menu about resetting the AF box to image center when camera is powered down, but I don't mind it the way it is now.

Also, I frequently delete all frames in my X-E1 but I like the function right where it is, in the menu when you are viewing images and not in the delete function button.  You have to deliberately go there to delete all images on the card.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-T100 +10 more
1drey
1drey Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
Same narrow exposure bracketing range? (nt)
-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7R +7 more
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,431

a l b e r t wrote:

Just received my X-E2 today. I've owned or used many X cameras, including X10, X-Pro1, X100 LE, X100s, X-E1. My other non-X cameras are Sony NEX-6 and Nikon D3s. Currently, I still own X10 (mainly for the face detection AF part), X100 LE and X-E1. I never owned a X100s, but I've used it and I know how well it performs compared to other X cameras.

The X-E2's firmware makes it a completely different camera compared to the X-E1. Not only it is more responsive in just about anything, AF is now the best amongst all the X cameras.

At first, I was worried that phase detect AF may not work in low light indoor condition. But it actually works quite well. I found that the phase detect pixels are vertical contrast sensitive only. If the phase detect pixels can detect a vertical contrast edge, the X-E2 is able to move to the focus position extremely quickly. In fact, I found it sometimes quicker than a DSLR! With my D3s, when the camera acquires focus, I can feel the AF motor moving back and forth a little towards the final focus point. This is especially true with a f/1.4 lens. With X-E2, I found that very often, it just moves there and stops. Zero lens hunting. I was testing the focus with something at 2.5m and 3m away with strong vertical contrast, and it locked focus in an instant, with a single stoke of lens movement. I repeatedly AF on these two subjects and the distance on the distance scale was consistent too. There was ZERO lens hunting at all. With X-E1, it sometimes jumps all over the distance scale as it mis-focused and thinks it has acquired the focus. The lens I used for testing was the XF 23 1.4.

When compared to my NEX-6, the X-E2's PDAF algorithm works so much better. On the NEX-6, I really don't feel the camera making use of PDAF much, at least not in the way I see it works on the X-E2.

Also, X-E2, like X-E1, is able to detect horizontal contrast with the latest firmware. X100 and X100s AF algorithms are incapable of detecting horizontal contrast. So when you try to focus on something with horizontal contrast, X-E2 will only use CDAF (no PDAF), and the lens will hunt back and forth to find the focus point. I've tested NEX-6 and Sony A7. They both cannot focus on something with horizontal contrast. I read from the Oly forum that even the OM-D EM-1's CDAF fails to lock focus on horizontal contrast. I think X-E2 is now on the top of the heap in terms of AF speed and accuracy for all mirrorless cameras.

There is now a Pre-AF function. If you turn it on, it'll perform continuous AF at the AF point you selected. It'll also continuos AF when you have Face Detect AF + Pre-AF on. I think this is going to be great for catching movements of toddlers.

One undocumented new feature is the ability to change aperture when you half press on the shutter release button. None of the X camera can do that and my NEX-6 cannot do that as well. This feature alone makes the camera behave more like a real SLR.

Fuji also improved the information layout on the screen. Now the distance scale and EV compensation scale are much less intrusive. They are now translucent and the distance scale now occupies very little vertical space. The EV compensation scale does not highlight the scale when it is at 0EV.

EVF as we all know, refreshes quicker. You can now adjust the brightness of the EVF and LCD independently! The jagged edge as seen during AF is now a thing of the past.

I found that the AF square is now bigger and I think the 49 AF points are spread further apart (not 100% confirmed, as my X-E1 is with Fuji for sensor cleaning).

I also found that it has a much less tendency to use DR400 when DR is set to Auto. I found that DR400 can sometimes produce unpleasant contrast on people's face. I'd much rather limit it to DR200 max in Auto mode and it seems that X-E2 is more intelligent in making the correct DR choice.

Delete button behavior is now different. When you hit delete, you'll be presented with 3 choices. Frame, Selected Frames, All Frames. The default is on Frame. So you need to press OK to select Frame, and press OK again to delete the current frame. So there is more button presses than before. But after you deleted the current frame, it'll move to the previous frame, you can hit OK again to delete it. You can keep pressing OK to delete a series of frames that way. And once you finished deleting, you can hit BACK to exit the delete mode and it'll go back to picture review mode or half press the shutter to get out of delete/playback mode completely.

Other minor changes includes a stiffer power on/off switch. The button feel is different, there seems to be a tiny bit less travel or stiffer.

So far I found two quirks:

1. You take a photo, and press Play immediately to review the photo. Press the wheel to zoom in on the picture to check on focus. Now as soon as the X-E2 finishes writing the files (I use RAW+Fine), it will reset the review mode so that the picture is no longer zoomed in.

2. Set the X-E2 to EVF+Eye sensor only. The LCD is turned off to save power. EVF is also turned off until I put my eye next to it. When both EVF and LCD are off, I can press the buttons on the X-E2 but nothing is shown on the LCD. I'd think it should turn on the LCD when I press a button to let me perform the setting and then turn off the LCD again after a few seconds of timeout. Or, it should lock all the buttons and will only activate them when my eye is looking through the EVF.

So all-in-all, the X-E2 is not a minor upgrade. I don't know how many of the firmware features in X-E2 will get trickled down to the X-E1 or X-Pro1. I think Fuji will probably select a few features on the next X-E1/X-Pro1 firmware update, such as min. shutter speed for Auto ISO. But I don't expect them to redo the info layout, or add face detection in the older cameras.

Gave you a thumbs up too, thanks for sharing!

One quick question: how does the split image focus work? Any good?

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,864

Nice writeup - thanks for posting. The XE2 seems more of an upgrade over XE1 than I thought. I am inclined to wait to see waht XPro 2 is likely to be as I suspect it will be much larger upgrade.

Hence the delay.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,718
Entirely agree

a l b e r t wrote:

Just received my X-E2 today. I've owned or used many X cameras, including X10, X-Pro1, X100 LE, X100s, X-E1. My other non-X cameras are Sony NEX-6 and Nikon D3s. Currently, I still own X10 (mainly for the face detection AF part), X100 LE and X-E1. I never owned a X100s, but I've used it and I know how well it performs compared to other X cameras.

The X-E2's firmware makes it a completely different camera compared to the X-E1. Not only it is more responsive in just about anything, AF is now the best amongst all the X cameras.

At first, I was worried that phase detect AF may not work in low light indoor condition. But it actually works quite well. I found that the phase detect pixels are vertical contrast sensitive only. If the phase detect pixels can detect a vertical contrast edge, the X-E2 is able to move to the focus position extremely quickly. In fact, I found it sometimes quicker than a DSLR! With my D3s, when the camera acquires focus, I can feel the AF motor moving back and forth a little towards the final focus point. This is especially true with a f/1.4 lens. With X-E2, I found that very often, it just moves there and stops. Zero lens hunting. I was testing the focus with something at 2.5m and 3m away with strong vertical contrast, and it locked focus in an instant, with a single stoke of lens movement. I repeatedly AF on these two subjects and the distance on the distance scale was consistent too. There was ZERO lens hunting at all. With X-E1, it sometimes jumps all over the distance scale as it mis-focused and thinks it has acquired the focus. The lens I used for testing was the XF 23 1.4.

When compared to my NEX-6, the X-E2's PDAF algorithm works so much better. On the NEX-6, I really don't feel the camera making use of PDAF much, at least not in the way I see it works on the X-E2.

Also, X-E2, like X-E1, is able to detect horizontal contrast with the latest firmware. X100 and X100s AF algorithms are incapable of detecting horizontal contrast. So when you try to focus on something with horizontal contrast, X-E2 will only use CDAF (no PDAF), and the lens will hunt back and forth to find the focus point. I've tested NEX-6 and Sony A7. They both cannot focus on something with horizontal contrast. I read from the Oly forum that even the OM-D EM-1's CDAF fails to lock focus on horizontal contrast. I think X-E2 is now on the top of the heap in terms of AF speed and accuracy for all mirrorless cameras.

There is now a Pre-AF function. If you turn it on, it'll perform continuous AF at the AF point you selected. It'll also continuos AF when you have Face Detect AF + Pre-AF on. I think this is going to be great for catching movements of toddlers.

One undocumented new feature is the ability to change aperture when you half press on the shutter release button. None of the X camera can do that and my NEX-6 cannot do that as well. This feature alone makes the camera behave more like a real SLR.

Fuji also improved the information layout on the screen. Now the distance scale and EV compensation scale are much less intrusive. They are now translucent and the distance scale now occupies very little vertical space. The EV compensation scale does not highlight the scale when it is at 0EV.

EVF as we all know, refreshes quicker. You can now adjust the brightness of the EVF and LCD independently! The jagged edge as seen during AF is now a thing of the past.

I found that the AF square is now bigger and I think the 49 AF points are spread further apart (not 100% confirmed, as my X-E1 is with Fuji for sensor cleaning).

I also found that it has a much less tendency to use DR400 when DR is set to Auto. I found that DR400 can sometimes produce unpleasant contrast on people's face. I'd much rather limit it to DR200 max in Auto mode and it seems that X-E2 is more intelligent in making the correct DR choice.

Delete button behavior is now different. When you hit delete, you'll be presented with 3 choices. Frame, Selected Frames, All Frames. The default is on Frame. So you need to press OK to select Frame, and press OK again to delete the current frame. So there is more button presses than before. But after you deleted the current frame, it'll move to the previous frame, you can hit OK again to delete it. You can keep pressing OK to delete a series of frames that way. And once you finished deleting, you can hit BACK to exit the delete mode and it'll go back to picture review mode or half press the shutter to get out of delete/playback mode completely.

Other minor changes includes a stiffer power on/off switch. The button feel is different, there seems to be a tiny bit less travel or stiffer.

So far I found two quirks:

1. You take a photo, and press Play immediately to review the photo. Press the wheel to zoom in on the picture to check on focus. Now as soon as the X-E2 finishes writing the files (I use RAW+Fine), it will reset the review mode so that the picture is no longer zoomed in.

2. Set the X-E2 to EVF+Eye sensor only. The LCD is turned off to save power. EVF is also turned off until I put my eye next to it. When both EVF and LCD are off, I can press the buttons on the X-E2 but nothing is shown on the LCD. I'd think it should turn on the LCD when I press a button to let me perform the setting and then turn off the LCD again after a few seconds of timeout. Or, it should lock all the buttons and will only activate them when my eye is looking through the EVF.

So all-in-all, the X-E2 is not a minor upgrade. I don't know how many of the firmware features in X-E2 will get trickled down to the X-E1 or X-Pro1. I think Fuji will probably select a few features on the next X-E1/X-Pro1 firmware update, such as min. shutter speed for Auto ISO. But I don't expect them to redo the info layout, or add face detection in the older cameras.

Mine turned up today, and armed with the 23mm lens it is lightning fast. It's slower with the 35 and the 60, but the 14 and the 18-55 also seem very fast. Unfortunately no new FW for the 18 or 27 at the minute. The camera is a hell of a lot faster too in use as is the viewfinder. The lag between pressing the shutter and taking the picture seems almost eliminated. Image quality is the same, but it's much more satisfying to use because the focus and lag issues have been addressed. Pair it with the face detection and you can shoot children easily with this camera.

One other point to note is that the wi-fi works really well, very impressed with it.

Nothing to show other than object around my house thus far, but looking forward to giving it a run next week. 

Very interesting to compare this to my new E-M1. I expected the E-M1 (overall) to be the better camera (based on speed of use, functionality, focus, wifi etc, etc even if the X-E2 won for image quality). It's much, much closer than I thought. I need a couple of weeks to come to a view on this!

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
photo perzon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,653
x100 wife age 40. True age 50. X100s age 60. XE-2 age?

X100 did not have the deep wrinkle contrast the X100s brought.  How's the 2?  The X100s brings shadows that are too strong, makes wrinkles deep.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T100 +1 more
OP a l b e r t Senior Member • Posts: 1,664

Thanks Albert. Your review of the X-E2 is very encouraging but to me I'm not convinced that the X-E2 will be leaps and bounds better than my NEX-6 in terms of AF and I'd be giving up the pocket-ability of my NEX+1650PZ or Sigma 30mm (or even the Sony 35mm 1.8 OSS).

I am mainly interested in a body + kit lens + 35mm fast prime (and perhaps a wide-angle prime and long zoom down the line) while keeping the size/weight down, regardless of which system I go with. I used to have a Nikon D40 + Nikkor 35 1.8 which was on the camera 80% of the time, 15% 18-55 kit lens, 5% 55-200 zoom. I assume the X-E2 + kit lens will be much larger than the NEX-6 + kit lens, but the X-E2 + 35mm will be about the same size as the NEX-6+ 35mm. I already have the 23mm covered with the X100. With regards to a 1.4 lens, I use a Minolta 50mm f1.4 that is very fast but a little too long for indoor use.

So my main concern in moving from NEX-6 to X-E2 ultimately would be the usability/AF/speed/size/weight of one camera vs. the other using the respective 35mm prime lenses. Is this something you can comment on? Anyway, I am not a pro and the marginal improvement in my photographic ability is not going to go that far I reckon!

I suggest you have a play with it in your local store when the X-E2 is more widely available.

When compared to my NEX-6, I think AF is actually better on the X-E2.  There are instances where the NEX-6 cannot lock focus on and the X-E2 locks on without any problem.  From what I can see, the X-E2 probably has the most advanced single shot AF algorithm now.

One thing why people perceive faster AF on the NEX-6 is because all the Sony lenses have ultra sonic type AF motor.  Fuji is probably the last manufacturer who still hasn't get around the patents or hasn't licensed them for using in their lens (witness Sony/Canon being the first to have USM lenses, followed by Nikon, Sigma and Tamron.  Tokina is using something similar to what Fuji is using on the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses I think, it is not USM.)  That said, the Linear Drive in the 18-55 lens does focus quite fast and is silent.

In terms of size, the NEX-6 is lighter due to a smaller/thinner body and the body is made out of polycarbonate instead of magnesium alloy.  So you trade build quality for weight.  But I do not find the weight that much more on the X-E1/2.  I also have the optional handgrip on my X-E2 as well.  It improves the handling tremendously.  As for the NEX-6, I found the handgrip to be too close to the body for comfort.

One thing I never come to commit on the Sony is the lack of quality lenses.  I mean something with f=1.4 and really sharp.  The Zeiss 24 1.8 didn't do it for me.  And for that price, I'd expect it to be f/1.4 not f/1.8.

Fuji's 35mm 1.4 is very sharp, but the AF motor is noisy, slow (compared to other XF lenses) and I don't like the barrel movement during AF.  I'd much prefer it to have internal AF mechanism.  I sold it and got the 23 1.4 instead.  The 23 1.4 is really up there with the very best and it is now my main lens.  It is sharp all the way from f/4 to f/11, very little sharpness falloff from f/8 and up.  Very impressive.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +14 more
Re: Same narrow exposure bracketing range? (nt)

AE BRK is still +- 1EV max.

Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-H1 Sony a7 III +14 more
Graham Hill Senior Member • Posts: 1,355

Canon's USM patents appeared in the late 1980's no?  Surely those patents have expired by now.

Cheers

Deed

Pretty much the same as X100s.  Personally, I prefer focus peak highlight.  Fuji's implementation of focus peak gives you outline on the entire subject in focus.  Where as focus peak on NEX only gives you the highlights on vertical contrast/edges only.

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Nice writeup - thanks for posting. The XE2 seems more of an upgrade over XE1 than I thought. I am inclined to wait to see waht XPro 2 is likely to be as I suspect it will be much larger upgrade.

Hence the delay.

Greg.

I think Fuji has a tall order to fill for the XPro2.  The competitor has upped the ante with Sony's introduction of A7/A7r.  The A7 is practically at the same price point when Fuji introduced the XPro1.  So either XPro2 will have to be cheaper by a few hundred dollars or it has to be much better with similar sensor performance level at the A7.  It means 24Mpix and better high ISO performance.  I don't see it happening unless Fuji has finished work with its organic sensor.

Awhile ago, there was a video posted on Youtube about someone testing a top secret Fuji X camera and Fuji has asked the testers to especially check out high ISO performance.  The video was taken down after Fuji's request.  It'd seem to me they're not testing the X-E2, as the high ISO performance is the same as X-E1.  So I'd think we should be seeing an entirely new sensor on the XPro2.

deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 9,431

a l b e r t wrote:

Cheers

Deed

Pretty much the same as X100s. Personally, I prefer focus peak highlight. Fuji's implementation of focus peak gives you outline on the entire subject in focus. Where as focus peak on NEX only gives you the highlights on vertical contrast/edges only.

I never had an 100s so no idea what "the same" is ... sorry.

The reason why I am asking is that I find the focus peaking utterly useless on the X-E1. I can see the ants-brigade on some edges but find this not helpful when I use, say, a 105/2.5 Nikkor in manual mode, have tried to focus using the peaking, but get blurry images at best. Since I have used split screen in the past on Leicas and Voigtländer 35 cameras I was wondering whether this would work for me. At this stage it looks like I will have to go to a shotp and try this out for myself ...

Just wanted your opintion on this!

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Re: Entirely agree

Mine turned up today, and armed with the 23mm lens it is lightning fast. It's slower with the 35 and the 60, but the 14 and the 18-55 also seem very fast. Unfortunately no new FW for the 18 or 27 at the minute. The camera is a hell of a lot faster too in use as is the viewfinder. The lag between pressing the shutter and taking the picture seems almost eliminated. Image quality is the same, but it's much more satisfying to use because the focus and lag issues have been addressed. Pair it with the face detection and you can shoot children easily with this camera.

One other point to note is that the wi-fi works really well, very impressed with it.

Nothing to show other than object around my house thus far, but looking forward to giving it a run next week.

Very interesting to compare this to my new E-M1. I expected the E-M1 (overall) to be the better camera (based on speed of use, functionality, focus, wifi etc, etc even if the X-E2 won for image quality). It's much, much closer than I thought. I need a couple of weeks to come to a view on this!

Congrats!

Try focusing on something with horizontal contrast.  Tell us if the E-M1 can lock focus on it.

I tested the wifi functionality and I too am impressed with it.  It was very quick to transfer photos to my iPhone.  Wifi is more useful than most people think as many photos sharing now happens on mobile devices using Whatsapp or Facebook.  It is especially when you have friends and relatives overseas.

Now, I think Fuji should work on making full remote control of the camera via wifi.  It'd be good if the entire menu can be remote controlled.

griddi
griddi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,331
Re: x100 wife age 40. True age 50. X100s age 60. XE-2 age?

photo perzon wrote:

X100 did not have the deep wrinkle contrast the X100s brought. How's the 2? The X100s brings shadows that are too strong, makes wrinkles deep.

I can not understand your fetish / problems you seems to have with cameras which make your wife older or younger looking, the fact is, she is 50 years old, so why not accept this ?

What does it matter if she looks 40-50 or 60 years old ?

Griddi.......

mark rupert Regular Member • Posts: 271

This is a disappointing and rather puzzling spec. Still, with such an easily usable exposure comp dial, it shouldn’t be so hard to get a wide series of brackets semi-manually.

-- hide signature --

Mark

mark rupert's gear list:mark rupert's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
bigpigbig Senior Member • Posts: 1,788

mark rupert wrote:

This is a disappointing and rather puzzling spec. Still, with such an easily usable exposure comp dial, it shouldn’t be so hard to get a wide series of brackets semi-manually.

I mostly bracket for HDR and touching the camera between shots makes life difficult.

Let's hope Fuji releases firmware for the XE-1 and XE-2 to fix this.

bigpigbig's gear list:bigpigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads