Buying the RX100m2: what accessories do I need?

Started Nov 7, 2013 | Questions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Konadoc New Member • Posts: 2
Buying the RX100m2: what accessories do I need?

Hey gang. What a fabulous site!!

I'm picking up the RX100m2 for a vacation trip. I was considering an online purchase and I see many online sellers offer "packages" that include cases,batteries, memory card, etc. This got me thinking what is might need at a minimum to be on the road.

#1: memory card: any advice for make/model/speed/size? I will want to take some video as well as photos.

#2: extra battery: is a generic battery ok, or should I do a sony?

#3: case: any advice on a low profile case ?

I was perusing sites like amazon....wonder if the quality of the stuff in the camera packages is worth the money...or better to buy separately?

thanks in advance!!

kd

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 13,297
Re: Buying the RX100m2: what accessories do I need?

Konadoc wrote:

I'm picking up the RX100m2 for a vacation trip. I was considering an online purchase and I see many online sellers offer "packages" that include cases,batteries, memory card, etc. This got me thinking what is might need at a minimum to be on the road.

#1: memory card: any advice for make/model/speed/size? I will want to take some video as well as photos.

I was perusing sites like amazon....wonder if the quality of the stuff in the camera packages is worth the money...or better to buy separately?

thanks in advance!!

kd

I think it'd be better to try before you buy when it comes to cases.  If you're the kind of person who will be doing a lot of shooting, or playing with the camera a lot, or a lot of video recording, then I'd seriously consider at least one spare battery.  I bought a Wasabi external charger + 2 spare batteries for around $25 on Amazon.  No problem so far with the Wasabi batteries.  I've used 3rd party batteries in the past on other cameras as well.

As for cards, stick to the name brands and you should be fine.  16gb cards are pretty cheap these days so if you don't already have some cards, I'd get a pair of 16gb cards.  Sony recommends class 4 or faster sd cards.

My preference for pocket camera cases is that I want something that provides decent protection, prevents it dust or lint from working its way into the camera, and allows me to attach it to my belt or backpack.  I don't want to dress it up with anything that will bulk it up without providing protection or carrying convenience.  That's the only advice I have when it comes to low profile cases.  As always, your mileage may vary.  

PatWasHere
PatWasHere Regular Member • Posts: 204
 PatWasHere's gear list:PatWasHere's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 17,735

I find the grip extremely useful.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984438-REG/sony_ag_r1_attachment_grip_for.html

I suppose it depends on your hands and, if you intend to get a case (I use a Ziplock plastic bag), but the grip definitely adds to the ease of handling.

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
A. Westreich Senior Member • Posts: 1,195

B&H deals are usually pretty good:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/984408-REG/sony_dsc_rx100m2_b_cyber_shot_dsc_rx100m2_digital_camera.html

I have the Franiec grip, but most everyone who has the Sony grip is pretty pleased with it.  In either case, a grip makes the camera handling much friendlier.

If you do put a grip on it, take it over to a shop to try the cases. If you want some serious protection, consider the Pelican:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3567369

I got this for kayaking . . ..

A. Westreich's gear list:A. Westreich's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Len_Gee
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,616

Konadoc wrote:

thanks in advance!!

kd

So, how long is the trip?

Do you shoot RAW, Jpeg, or RAW+Jpeg?

And, how much video you do plan to take?

Do you have tendency to be a "methodical" or "spray and pray" snapper?

I recently took a 21 day vacation that included a 14 day cruise. Took Sony RX100.

I short RAW+Jpeg, plus short videos.

Completely filled 5 - 16GB cards. YMMV.   I bought name brand SD cards because not expensive.   Use caution buying "no name" SD cards.

I suggest using 16GB-32GB High Speed cards especially if planning to take video., and rotating them daily, just in case you lose, corrupt, or damage card you'll still come home with some pics and videos.

Highly recommend you buy an external battery charger and several extra batteries.  Camera goes through batteries - around 200  shots and videos on fully charged OEM battery. Especially if you chimp a lot.  That way you can charge batteries outside the camera.  Take your chances on third party charger and batteries.  I bought Sony charger and batteries.  Not expensive.

Consider any generic pooch bag of your choosing. This has been asked many times before. Did you do a DPR search?

And most importantly, before you take your vacation trip, test out everything camera related. Read the manual, and remember to pack it in your jacket or  carry on bag.

Enjoy trip, and post pictures here when you return.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X100F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F +8 more
TerryAnderson Regular Member • Posts: 283

Another thing is take a device to download your images. If you own an iPad there is a camera kit that you can purchase. This is what I did for a 10 day vacation at Disney world.

Otherwise you can check out one of the media storage devices. I think the most recent from Epson was the P7000, keep in mind they are not cheap. But are far better than loosing a card or having one get corrupted by the elements.

I also purchased a grip, 4 extra batteries, 2 chargers, two filter kits to see which I liked best. The magnetic one is very nice with the CPL. I also bought a 52mm kit and then a Tiffen 52mm variable ND filter too. Both work very well on this camera. The 52mm kit though makes the camera a little wider and can come off in a pocket. And I actually bought a neck strap as my pockets sometimes get a little full and if its really hot, I don't sweat all over the camera as well.

-- hide signature --

All the best and keep on shooting
Terry Anderson
Boston West Photography

TerryAnderson's gear list:TerryAnderson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D90 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 +26 more
salla30
salla30 Senior Member • Posts: 2,596
Welcome!

Nice to have you aboard!

Hopefully we'll get to see some of your holiday pics when you return

Agree with the other posters here. Sound advice.

I would say, try the camera before getting a grip.

I have not found it difficult to handle without the grip and of course any grip will increase the size a little.

Also, ref cards, get a fast one especially if you are going to shoot RAW. I got a 95MB/S extreme pro sandisk card 32gb for my RX100ii and there is a very big difference in processing speed, shot to shot, when compared with the 45mb/s card i have for the rx100. Probably the 80mb/s card suggested by another poster from amazon should be ok too!

Benefit from offline storage also, if you can, take a laptop for transfer, it's the easiest. Or be prepared to take multiple cards - especially if shooting RAW and video, at about 100mb per minute, it soon goes. And RAW+jpg around 25-30mb per shot. 100 shots is around 3gb.

Battery wise, probably good to have a spare, go with sony original. I've never had problems, but there's always a first time to run out half way through the day!

Ref cases, I used a soft pouch with zip from Hama which fits like a glove. Or i also have a flip style belt case for walks.

Shop around - the right case shouldn't be too difficult to find (indeed, my cases were leftovers from previous compact cam purchases)

Anyhow, that's my 2 penneth worth.

Have a great holiday and enjoy. But remember to smell the flowers too. Something I find hard to do, spending most of my holidays "through the lens", much to the chagrin of my family

salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a5000 +1 more
Konadoc OP New Member • Posts: 2

Thank you to everyone!! I am hoping the rx100m2 will be a good choice. I will let you know!!

kd

Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 17,735

Len_Gee wrote:

Read the manual, and remember to pack it in your jacket or carry on bag.

Well, I took the RX-100M2 manual thinking the same thing. It's essentially worthless. It contains no information on the menus, etc.

Download a copy of Gary Friedman's e-book. It's got more information about the RX-100M2 than you'll ever use and it's not expensive.

http://friedmanarchives.com/RX100-MK2/

I've used his books on the A-100, the A-77 and the RX-100M2.  They are full of information on every detail of the cameras.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
xerophytenyc Regular Member • Posts: 426

A couple other great accessories are monopods and/ or tripods.  Monopods are great for capturing video at unique perspectives, or for getting a photo of yourself.  XShot or QuickPod have some smaller versions that are easy to transport.

For tripods, I like GorillaPods, which also come in different sizes.  You can turn up 2 of the legs and make a quick video-rig out of it.

Instead of the stick-on grip, I use a half-case screwed into the tripod mount on the bottom.  It adds a few extra mm which is enough to get a good grip, for me at least.

A variable ND filter is very helpful if you ever get into the cinema side of things.  A circular polarizing filter is also neat for certain photo ops.

xerophytenyc's gear list:xerophytenyc's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus Tough TG-2 +6 more
newellj Senior Member • Posts: 1,048

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

Read the manual, and remember to pack it in your jacket or carry on bag.

Well, I took the RX-100M2 manual thinking the same thing. It's essentially worthless. It contains no information on the menus, etc.

Download a copy of Gary Friedman's e-book. It's got more information about the RX-100M2 than you'll ever use and it's not expensive.

http://friedmanarchives.com/RX100-MK2/

I've used his books on the A-100, the A-77 and the RX-100M2. They are full of information on every detail of the cameras.

-- hide signature --

AEH

Totally agree.  I've been buying camera books since the very early 1970s.  Friedman's book on the RX100 is one of the most useful I've ever bought.

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Ron AKA Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875

Konadoc wrote:

The RX100/II cannot take advantage of the UHS-I bus speed, only Class 10. However it can use them. I would buy the least expensive Class 10 minimum, 32 GB card(s) that you can find. I would avoid the larger 64 GB SDXC cards unless you are sure your computer will handle them. The camera can handle them, but your computer and card reader may not, especially if you have Apple.

I bought generic off eBay and it works fine. However, it does not have a temperature sensor that the OEM Sony has.

I find the leather Ultraslim case off eBay works very well for me. It has a belt loop, but it does not have a tight seal if that is priority to you.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads