>>> Street Photography eXchange #72 <<<

Started Nov 7, 2013 | Discussions
geraldPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,760
Money or Greed?

fad wrote:

Wrong target Frank!

Why not instead, a really target-RICH environment like Wall Street?

-gerald

Re: Will the 8 of hearts win ?

fireplace33 wrote:

Life is only a game!

Captured in Madeira, outside a pub

This is a great scene and I'm not sure if they will mind you getting closer to take a shot but if you had avoided the great big bush the photo might work better compositionally.

The red hearts are a little over-indulgent!

Good luck!

-gerald

b traven
b traven Regular Member • Posts: 112
Re: >>> Street Photography eXchange #72 <<<

Damn! What a great photograph, made me come back and look again. And again...

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,471
Re: Lone Passenger

Sal18 wrote:

Just lovely Sal ...I'd say more but I want to look at it longer and need to stop typing (grin).

...stunning composition, lovely b+w.

Ant.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,471
Re: sidekicks

,,,awesome. You just can't make this stuff up ...too funny.

Ant.

fireplace33
fireplace33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,806
Re: Will the 8 of hearts win ?

geraldPP wrote:

fireplace33 wrote:

Life is only a game!

Captured in Madeira, outside a pub

This is a great scene and I'm not sure if they will mind you getting closer to take a shot but if you had avoided the great big bush the photo might work better compositionally.

The red hearts are a little over-indulgent!

Good luck!

-gerald

Thanks Gerald!

but,
...What do you mean the "bush was in the way " ? The bush was playing too

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 +23 more
solveproblems Contributing Member • Posts: 877

nt

hexar Contributing Member • Posts: 858
Re: Fake I say!

Thanks for all your comments Gerald on wich I agree for 100%   The pic of the girl without boots was a " joke "  by the way .  ( see the text that relates to previous posting but you obviously did not get that)

cheers

HEXAR

OP xtoph Veteran Member • Posts: 9,871
Re: big and small

Excellent gestures and subjects--the size difference really is striking, and the piping on the little guys jacket looks pretty absurd. Youre showing me something unusual, which is great.

I wish the guys face were angled up, looking at the tall fellow--the glance at the camera seems disruptive here. I would also crop in fro left to square, probably--looks like you were trying to preserve the bench intact, which i dont think matters.

I think this is very succesful. The composition works well (i like this better than the alternate version, though its not bad either), the tones work well, and the theme of the tiny figure definitely works well. This is a fully realized picture, where the whole photo--positive and negative spaces--fills its 2-dimensional frame, rather than the more common kind where a somewhat arbitrary frame is fitted around a convenient subject in  indifferent surroundings.

I might consider a ccw rotation to fix the certicals, but i am not sure the result would be an improvement.

Re: lady blue

Really interesting subjects, good hands, the shock of onion root hair seems like it should go with the white beard... The spacing seems odd; too much on the right, maybe not enough on the left? And the orange color at right is distracting.

There might be a crop in there that works better.

Wonderful shot--the line of the tiger's back draws the eye well, the different angles of the kids hands disguises the plane of the window... This is probably one of those very few shots where a polarizer would have been genuinely beneficial.

Re: The root of all evil

The geometry of all the legs, especially the way the ones i the bg echo the shape of the metal A-frame, is interesting.

The more closely i look at the picture, though, the more confusing it seems.

hexar Contributing Member • Posts: 858

soo right you are.  I felt exactly the same about that polarizer.  However the pic is still appealing like you said and I thank you for your kind comment

Cheers

HEXAR

albobkin
albobkin Senior Member • Posts: 1,856
empty street

-- hide signature --

al

fireplace33
fireplace33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,806
Re: empty street

This looks good! nicely done!

It tells a story for me with the wet street and the people staying at home because of the rain. The ride still looks inviting though, especially perhaps to a child's eye. But then the dark street looks a bit sinister. Might even be a scene from some mystery (David Lynch style) film with a missing child in the plot?

fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 +23 more
Sal18 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296

Thank you, Chris. I tried the rotation  - which is how I came up with the crop, actually - and I lost too much of the picture in doing so. Maybe I don't have the pp skills to rotate without losing a lot of the left side.

Sal

Sal18 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,296

Gerald said:

Good lighting and a good composition might be the first subject you should look for rather than the human targets first.

-gerald

This is very instructive and gives me something to think about here as I so often do exactly the opposite. I look for faces and situations that might develop and hope the light and composition will fall into place. Well…I hope for serendipity and luck to help me out.

Sal

Sal18 wrote:

Sal

Hi Sal,

I am a little late to greet your lone passenger as you had good advice and positive comments from everyone.

This kind of picture is the photo-editors dream...so malleable, so editable!

I think nowadays when pictures are viewed on a monitor or tablet there isn't too much of a concern how one frames for the old print magazine format.

A landscape format was the preferred choice when you hope to get a double-spread shot in an editorial. Nat Geo photographers like to boast about how many 'double-trucks' they got in their last feature.

With a vertical format you'd be pleased to get a full page and, if it is iconic enough, maybe even score the cover!

For newspaper shooters it was different as content wasn't delivered in pages but columns! Only later I discerned that difference between news and magazine photographers. That group almost always went for vertical shots to fit into the single column treatment.

Keep 'Lone Passenger' as flexible as you want with as many variations as it allows. This looks like a fun image to experiment various crops and even processing style/toning.

I did try out a crop to your image so I might as well show that to you -

I don't think the top right corner reflection was that crucial in your image so I sacrificed that for this visual balance between the top and bottom spaces. The skewed angle is to add a little drama and reason for the vertical format.

-gerald

1drey
1drey Senior Member • Posts: 1,420

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7R +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads