Extended battery grip for DF

Started Nov 5, 2013 | Discussions
fgalka
fgalka Regular Member • Posts: 124
Extended battery grip for DF

I have a D700 with extended battery grip. The camera feels much better in my hand than without the extended grip. Any idea if this will be available with the DF?

fgalka's gear list:fgalka's gear list
Nikon D810
Nikon D700 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kent Vinyard Regular Member • Posts: 173
Re: Extended battery grip for DF
-- hide signature --

Kent in Ok

From the specs of the thing it looks there is no provision for a battery grip. I do not understand this as I have grips on all of my cameras. (D7100 & D600)

Robert Daniels
Robert Daniels Regular Member • Posts: 357

Kent Vinyard wrote:

Its incredible that Nikon won't offer an extended battery grip for this camera knowing that various users with different hand sizes that this would not be taken into consideration is baffling to say the least.

-- hide signature --

- 'What's the use of having BIG hands if you have short fingers'
Nikon forever... Babe!

mgblack74
mgblack74 Senior Member • Posts: 1,678

Kent Vinyard wrote:

Never say never. The battery door pops off like all recent DSLR's. And if they do come with one, the commuication contacts could be up in the battery chamber like the D80/90. And then two batteries in the grip. (Maybe even a second card slot?). Here's to hoping.

-- hide signature --

"You're guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

mgblack74's gear list:mgblack74's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +5 more
NTNphoto Regular Member • Posts: 236

I wish they had one too. I don't have super large hands and the Df can be a little uncomfortable at times. It's fine for casual stuff but over a long period of shooting I think it will be a little uncomfortable.

However I think I may go ahead and get the half case when it's available. I have a fuji x-e1 and also found that cameras grip to be a little lacking but adding the half case really gave the grip a better feel. I just wish the half case were available now or a battery grip was available now. As of now can't seem to find the case and the grip doesn't exist.

NTNphoto's gear list:NTNphoto's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +5 more
Hugo First Contributing Member • Posts: 780

there's no reason why you can't want this, but in my mind it kind of defeats the purpose of constructing a smaller, less-obtrusive body if you're going to add a third or more to the size and weight. i suppose one might hope that the extra battery power would increase the frame rate, which would really make the Df a poor man's D4... that is probably EXACTLY the reason nikon WON'T oblige... it's quite possible, however, that a third-party vendor will offer an after-market product, but can you imagine removing the grip each time you wish to download images from the SD card? not me...

NTNphoto Regular Member • Posts: 236

there's no reason why you can't want this, but in my mind it kind of defeats the purpose of constructing a smaller, less-obtrusive body if you're going to add a third or more to the size and weight. i suppose one might hope that the extra battery power would increase the frame rate, which would really make the Df a poor man's D4... that is probably EXACTLY the reason nikon WON'T oblige... it's quite possible, however, that a third-party vendor will offer an after-market product, but can you imagine removing the grip each time you wish to download images from the SD card? not me...

Yeah that sd card didn't occur to me. I think I may get the half case and use that for a little extra grip and call it a day. ..whenever the case is available that is

NTNphoto's gear list:NTNphoto's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +5 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,333

Hugo First wrote:

Unless Nikon built in contacts to support an added grip there is nothing a third party can make that would support the "usual" grip features.  Usual grip features are 1) extra battery and 2) portrait orientation with shutter, AF, and joystick controls.  A third party might be able to add a grip that would give you extra battery life.  But the portrait orientation controls would not be possible.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +28 more
Miller Albert New Member • Posts: 1

I'm a hard headed, loyal - loyal Nikon shooter for a very long time since my first Nikon F.  I bought and using the Nikon Df all ready a couple of weeks.  Also, I have a D3s and a D4. I'm a 75 years old guy photographing with Nikon for a long time,  45-50 yeas at list. Previously has all the  Nikon SLR models and all of them, FM-2 FE-2 FA, F2, F3, FM3a, F5 (then D bodies . . . . 700 to D3, D4)  and all of them has a motor drive or battery grip for D's for better handling, specially using bigger and longer lenses then a 50 prime or small prime lens. Those SLR ad on, optional  motor drives, never had an optional portrait mode switches on them, and I never had a problem with it or any of my colleges. If the Nikon Df is a "retro camera" so called for a "pure photography", why Nikon deliberately designed the camera in a way, ( bottom load FC card? Ridiculous!) you can't have an additional or optional battery pack for those, whom like to have more usage then a walk around camera with the 50mm lens on it?!

The look of the camera is a total form-design failure, when you see cameras form-designed like Olympus. Sonny, Pentax.

Why do you need all the controls duplicated on the optional battery grip, instead to get a battery grip and a battery grip only for better handling, and maybe more battery life.

The quality of the images what the Df producing is excellent, better then the D4 able to give. But the controls and the restricted ad on ability is an enigma to me.  I bought the camera in a big rush, thinking I going to have a FF good quality body, lighter and smaller then the two Nikon D's behemoths. I get the camera with mixed feeling, a very positive surprise of the images and a more and more irritation of the body, with has no chance to upgrade for a better handling when using a bigger lenses then a small primes. I mounted my smaller zoom, the 17-35/2.8 and the whole unit was ugly, difficult to handle, newer mind the 24-70/2.8 or a bigger lens like the 70-200/2.8. Disaster. It same to me, this camera never going to be a popular camera and in the long run, it going to be a collection item as a curiosity, and infinite question, why Nikon created this ugly restricted camera at all. Why not just copy a FM3a, beautiful body, and turned in to digital, exactly in the same way with an optional battery grip.

Regardless of the quality images I'm getting out of it, like it very much, I'm all ready thinking to sell the camera.

WowIndescribable
WowIndescribable New Member • Posts: 6

I very much hope this is coming, and I expect it will given the construction of the removable battery door and battery compartment orientation.
I love using the DF as is, but with a bigger lens and an SB910 flash on the shoe...impossible to hold with one hand.  I would probably leave it off unless I was shooting with the extra weight and needed the grip.
Regarding removal for access to SD card, not a problem at all.  The MD11 I had with my FE came off with just a few easy turns of a thumbscrew  Literally five seconds.
And while it would be nice to have portrait controls also, I would still be interested in a battery grip even without it.  i'd even be interested in a 'pure grip' with no electronics at all, just to improve the handling when needed.
Someone will surely make this, if not Nikon then someone else...

scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,179

WowIndescribable wrote:

I very much hope this is coming, and I expect it will given the construction of the removable battery door and battery compartment orientation.
I love using the DF as is, but with a bigger lens and an SB910 flash on the shoe...impossible to hold with one hand. I would probably leave it off unless I was shooting with the extra weight and needed the grip.
Regarding removal for access to SD card, not a problem at all. The MD11 I had with my FE came off with just a few easy turns of a thumbscrew Literally five seconds.
And while it would be nice to have portrait controls also, I would still be interested in a battery grip even without it. i'd even be interested in a 'pure grip' with no electronics at all, just to improve the handling when needed.
Someone will surely make this, if not Nikon then someone else...

If you have a big lens and an sb910 mounted, how in the world could you expect to hold with one hand?

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472

I've heard a rumor of a grip from a 3rd party vendor that will match the camera, but not have functionality beyond balance and extended battery power.

Whether or not that becomes a reality, my envelope of usage for the Df is usually as it's best suited; a smaller, flashless, low light camera vs. using my D800.

If I expect to use big lenses and flash, I will likely not use the Df.

Honestly...the SB400 works great and is very small and light, but I rarely require a flash with the Df anyway.

Even the small SB400 sits rather high on top of the prism. My SB800 is MUCH bigger and truly makes it harder to hold the rig.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
TerryAnderson Regular Member • Posts: 315

scokill,

On my Df I have used the 70-200 vr2, the 300 f4 AF-S and the 80-400 AF-S on it. I have also mounted the SB900 and SB910 on it. Had no issues holding it, using it at all. I use those same lenses on my D7100 which I use for shooting wildlife. The D7100 is around the same size as the Df.

-- hide signature --

All the best and keep on shooting
Terry Anderson
Boston West Photography

TerryAnderson's gear list:TerryAnderson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D90 Nikon D4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +27 more
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,179

TerryAnderson wrote:

scokill,

On my Df I have used the 70-200 vr2, the 300 f4 AF-S and the 80-400 AF-S on it. I have also mounted the SB900 and SB910 on it. Had no issues holding it, using it at all. I use those same lenses on my D7100 which I use for shooting wildlife. The D7100 is around the same size as the Df.

I used my 70-200 2.8 almost exclusively on it, but not one handed.  I don't know if I shoot anything one handed...that was the point.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
WowIndescribable

scokill wrote: If you have a big lens and an sb910 mounted, how in the world could you expect to hold with one hand?

I previously had a Nikon D4 and was able to hold it w/lens & shoe flash with one hand when needed with no problem.

Rexgig0
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,415
Perhaps J.B. Designs will make a Df grip?

Amazon sells grips made by J.B. Designs. Some are synthetic, and some wood. Perhaps J.B. can be persuaded to add the Df to his availability list?

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, with 10-22mm and 100mm Macro L lenses, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action. During personal time, I enjoy using both Canons and Nikons.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +49 more
ed pavlu New Member • Posts: 1

Hi

I have the Df and I'm using a "STORAGE GRIP" Model UV-1, made by Keith & Co.

This grip was made for a 35mm film camera of the 70's and 80's. It looks like a "motor winder" with an extended grip, which I cut off, so the grip would fit on the Df.

It works very well, however I don't know how you could buy one as it was made during the 1980's.

Ed Pavlu

WowIndescribable

Ed, can you post a photo of your custom grip for us here to see?

Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,494

Very cool. I've wondered whether old gear would work. An inexpensive case solved most of my grip concerns. The only thing an additional grip would need to bring to the table for me would be a vertical trigger.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads