That E-3 Colour... Always just looks great

Started Nov 4, 2013 | Discussions
alatchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,055
That E-3 Colour... Always just looks great

I know there is a steady following for the E-1 and the Kodak sensor colour, I have the E-300 but it is at my office in SE Asia I would love to get it back and run a few tests with the same lenses.

Having said that, every time I take out the E-3 for a walk I am impressed with the colours form the camera, to the point where it makes me want to keep it forever.

Then I use the OMD, and while I enjoy the cameras ability at high ISO, and the DR is welcome... The AF is instantaneous, but the E-3 colour... I am in the middle of deciding to sell off the E-3, 2-60 and 50-200 and use the money to get a second OMD 2nd hand and throw the rest towards the new 12-40... But I love the images the E-3 gives me... Dilemmas.

Here are some pics form today, auto WB, and the last shot is a quick self portrait with my son, custom WB 1 umbrella camera right... All images were shot with the 12-60 (WHAT A GEM) and are Out of Camer JPEGs, JPEGS!!

All the best with your shooting and personal dilemmas

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 18,635
Yup...the E-3 is another...

...color powerhouse, that's for sure.  I'm keeping mine.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 +45 more
OP alatchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,055
Re: Yup...the E-3 is another...

Ben Herrmann wrote:

...color powerhouse, that's for sure. I'm keeping mine.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Did you just buy an E-1? I have decided no new money into gear for a while... So making a list in my head of how to streamline... I am always wondering what is the connection between colour, ISO and DR... I really dont want to let it go, the biggest drive to move over is just how fast the CDAF is with the newer lenses and bodies.

All the best

Abraham

-- hide signature --

veroman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837
Re: That E-3 Colour... Always just looks great

alatchin wrote:

I know there is a steady following for the E-1 and the Kodak sensor colour, I have the E-300 but it is at my office in SE Asia I would love to get it back and run a few tests with the same lenses.

Having said that, every time I take out the E-3 for a walk I am impressed with the colours from the camera, to the point where it makes me want to keep it forever ... Dilemmas.

There's no dilemma then.  Trust your eyes.  If you prefer the colors from the E-3 (and it appears you do), then keep it.  Anything else will pale by comparison and not give you the same satisfaction, regardless of whatever other qualities the other camera(s) may offer.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Ricoh GR II Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-E2
OP alatchin Senior Member • Posts: 1,055

veroman wrote:

alatchin wrote:

Having said that, every time I take out the E-3 for a walk I am impressed with the colours from the camera, to the point where it makes me want to keep it forever ... Dilemmas.

There's no dilemma then. Trust your eyes. If you prefer the colors from the E-3 (and it appears you do), then keep it. Anything else will pale by comparison and not give you the same satisfaction, regardless of whatever other qualities the other camera(s) may offer.

It is true, and when these things are gone, they are gone. I have  a few other things I am thinking of putting on the chopping block that were a bit impulsive... or maybe I just dont need to add any new bodies or lenses to my kit...

It is just such easy and natural colour, especially with the 12-60 and SWD 50-200, even when it pops it doesnt look overdone.

Thanks for the comment.

-- hide signature --

SteveG

-- hide signature --

Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 18,635
Well, actually...

As I mentioned yesterday in another reply to a different posting, over a dozen folks responded to my WTB E-1 threads that I started on several forums.  As a result, I was presented with a wealth of offers - mostly all mint/like-new E-1 - with two of them being brand new-in-the-box E-1 systems (complete with battery grip and a host of other optional accessories).  Needless to say, I purchased the 2 NIB E-1's.  Now we're talkin' E-1's that have never been used and have all of the optional accessorie thrown in (also new).  And to think I paid only $250 for one setup and $300 for another - new ones at that - I believe I made out big time.

Unfortunately, whenever you sell electronics you wind up being on the losing end of the deal - it's unfortunate.  All of us look at our camera gear with a certain passion and as such, they (the cameras) hold a much higher value with regards to what we feel we can get for it.  Unfortunately, it's a buyers market right now - as I've found out.  As another example, I was also in the market to pick up an E-330 (I should have never sold mine several years ago).  Well, I found another NIB model (never used obviously) and I only paid around $139 or so for it.  I know that the seller was hoping to get above $300 for it.

Like I tell many others, I can guarantee you that if you sell your E-1 (even though you may not have used it in awhile), you will be very regretful that you did.  All it takes to keep the appreciation level constant for this ole' gem of a camera, is to periodically reach for the E-1 and begin shooting for it.  It will quickly remind you that although ancient by current day standards, there's a feel for it (and the images) that will keep you interested.  So I'm willing to bet that if you let your E-1 go, you will eventually be in the market for another one within the next year or so.  So that's why I now have 3 of them (I maybe a sick puppy, but there's a method to my madness).

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 +45 more
Henry Stamm Senior Member • Posts: 2,668
Re: E1

I don't miss mine at all.  For me, the E3 was such an improvement and my E5 was a big advancement over the E3.  The color output from each is very similar, at least to my eyes, and the advantages of each new model far outweighed all other factors.  I always set up my jpg output at neutral settings and tweaked in post, and I never found much difference in what I have to do to tweak the images. I always used each with a grip, so the sizes were very similar.  E3 and E5 OVF are so much larger--huge difference for my eyes.  Faster focusing and greater buffers.  The increase in MP substantially alters the print output detail--very noticeable at 8x10 and larger prints (but virtually unnoticeable, of course, in computer screen size resolutions--I'm not talking full rez; something more along 1200x1600 or so).   The ability to use FL50R off-camera and without a trigger or cable is another advantage that I can't imagine doing without.  Did I mention speed improvements?  So, while I thoroughly enjoyed my E1, once I got the E3, I never picked up the former again.  As for the E3, it's now equipped with a 9-18 and is used solely for the few times I shoot wide angle.  My E5 is my workhorse and will continue to be so for the next few years.  So--don't miss the E1; don't want the newest baby.    My clients don't care about my tools and the E5 isn't paid for yet (soon, soon, though).

-- hide signature --
 Henry Stamm's gear list:Henry Stamm's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD +2 more
veroman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837

alatchin wrote:

.... It is just such easy and natural colour, especially with the 12-60 and SWD 50-200, even when it pops it doesnt look overdone.

I have the same lenses and find this to be true of all my Olympus cameras (E-1/E-510/E-5).  Overall, I find the images from the Olympus DSLRs to be the most natural-looking of all the cameras I've owned and tried so far.

-- hide signature --

SteveG

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Ricoh GR II Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-E2
Jay Jenner
Jay Jenner Contributing Member • Posts: 744

I think the E3 colour is fantastic as well. I sold mine and bought an E5 and whilst the detail is certainly better I have found that I need to work on the images a wee bit more in Lightroom to really make them jump. Very few seem to come out of the camera just right. The E3 had more instant zap, and funnily enough, the E1 before that even more so.

The E3 auto white balance worked better than that on the E5 for me, but I have started experimenting with RAW and with a bit of work I have made some really good images - and I do not mind spending some time on the processing. Heck, when I used to shoot B+W 35mm I would think nothing of spending a whole afternoon working on one photo, so fifteen minutes in LR5 is no big deal.

Jay Jenner's gear list:Jay Jenner's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Aoresteen Regular Member • Posts: 329

I'm keeping my E-1 and my E-3.  E-5 should be here in a week.  I will NOT let any of them go.

Yesterday I was out taking soccer pictuers with the E-1 & the 50-200 SWD.  Only problem was with the guy standing behind the lens....

Aoresteen's gear list:Aoresteen's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-420 +13 more
Jay Jenner
Jay Jenner Contributing Member • Posts: 744

I had to sell the E5 to finance the new one, but I stil have the E1 - no point in selling it as its financial value is nowhere near its actual value as a great camera and nice thing to have around.

Jay Jenner's gear list:Jay Jenner's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads