G6 1080p 60fps avchd files and aperture

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Questions
mgibbs Regular Member • Posts: 393
G6 1080p 60fps avchd files and aperture

hello all-

just started using my new panny g6 today, and shot a few vids before i figured out that i was not shooting in 1080p 60fps.  so i switched.  later, when importing files into aperture, noticed that it did not recognize the 1080p files - only the 1080i files.  do i need an aperture upgrade, am i overlooking something, or do i have to (yet again) deal with a convoluted workflow outside of aperture for saving my avchd 1080p 60fps video files?  which is doable, but inevitably, i forget to do so and delete some vids by mistake.  i am currently using aperture version 3.4.5.

any guidance is much appreciated - thanks in advance!

mgibbs's gear list:mgibbs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +11 more
ANSWER:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP mgibbs Regular Member • Posts: 393
Re: G6 1080p 60fps avchd files and aperture

Anybody have any advice? I am thinking there must be an easier way to deal with these files - if you know one, if you share it i will be grateful!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +11 more
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,043
Just saw this thread.

I've never tried video files with Aperture, but that may be where the problem is as most cameras still don't have 1080/60. Why don't you use iMovie? I have Aperture, but I've never used it for video, although I have used LightRoom, which will import 1080/60, but if I change anything, it exports at 1080/30. IMovie has no problem and, if you import the 1080 files, you can use the slow motion tool.

That being said, I don't remember if I've imported 1080/60 AVCHD files. My GH3 is new to me and I have been using the .264 setting, not AVCHD. My GH2 used AVCHD but couldn't shoot at 1080/60.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Oscar Torres
Oscar Torres Regular Member • Posts: 281

Try with VLC, is the most compatible media player over there...

Corkcampbell
I was assuming that the OP wanted to edit the clips, make videos,

not just watch them. If he/she just wants to watch them, you're correct, VLC is great. I use it for just about everything.

In my workflow, when I was shooting 1080i (interlaced), I would first run it through HandBrake, to deinterlace it and then edit it in iMovie or just watch it on VLC, as you suggested.

Perhaps the OP can explain what he is trying to do with his clips.

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Re: I was assuming that the OP wanted to edit the clips, make videos,

Thanks for replies.

Right now, I simply want to (if possible) have both my stills and video clips of an event stored in the same place (which in this case would be in a particular "project" in aperture).  if not, then I was wondering if there is a simpler workflow in dealing with the MTS files, which are embedded in something like 5 layers of sub-folders on the SD card.

I am not yet concerned with editing - that is an issue for another day

Thanks,

Mike

Corkcampbell wrote:

not just watch them. If he/she just wants to watch them, you're correct, VLC is great. I use it for just about everything.

In my workflow, when I was shooting 1080i (interlaced), I would first run it through HandBrake, to deinterlace it and then edit it in iMovie or just watch it on VLC, as you suggested.

Perhaps the OP can explain what he is trying to do with his clips.

Re: Just saw this thread.

Unfortunately, it takes forever for my wonky old computer to upload vid files to iMovie.  I am sure that you are right, but I really would like to be able to store stills and vids from the same event within the same program (aperture if possible) for convenience's sake.

I would be curious to know if aperture handles .264 files well.  I haven't used it due to warnings that the files are huge, but I might be ready to give it a try if it will serve my needs (and aperture will recognize and import the files)

thanks for your reply!

Corkcampbell wrote:

I've never tried video files with Aperture, but that may be where the problem is as most cameras still don't have 1080/60. Why don't you use iMovie? I have Aperture, but I've never used it for video, although I have used LightRoom, which will import 1080/60, but if I change anything, it exports at 1080/30. IMovie has no problem and, if you import the 1080 files, you can use the slow motion tool.

That being said, I don't remember if I've imported 1080/60 AVCHD files. My GH3 is new to me and I have been using the .264 setting, not AVCHD. My GH2 used AVCHD but couldn't shoot at 1080/60.

honeyiscool
honeyiscool Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US

"iMovie does not support footage recorded in 1080-60p from this Camcorder" for Panasonic G6.

Record in 1080/30p or 720/60p.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
honeyiscool
Re: Just saw this thread.

mgibbs wrote:

Unfortunately, it takes forever for my wonky old computer to upload vid files to iMovie. I am sure that you are right, but I really would like to be able to store stills and vids from the same event within the same program (aperture if possible) for convenience's sake.

I would be curious to know if aperture handles .264 files well. I haven't used it due to warnings that the files are huge, but I might be ready to give it a try if it will serve my needs (and aperture will recognize and import the files)

thanks for your reply!

You need to upgrade to OS X Mavericks, which will enable you to upgrade to Aperture 3.5 and the latest iMovie, which handles AVCHD natively. No need to transcode, which is the thing that took forever in the past. Older versions do not handle 1080/60p properly, as I pointed out in the previous post. The newest version has no such restriction.

Thankfully, all these upgrades are free.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 3,748

Content is king.

Why would you intentionally limit the quality of your content just because your software doesn't currently support it? would be better to fix the real problem, or work around until the fix becomes available.

-- hide signature --
Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 6,643

I just upload everything into iPhoto. Up until recently it did not recognise or upload 1080p 50fps [PAL] movies but even before Mavericks it suddenly began to handle these files with no problem. I have not edited any of these video files yet, as quite a few clips have only just transferred from the cameras despite being shot some months ago..

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +21 more
honeyiscool

1. Update is available.

2. 1080p60 is needed for what purpose? It's not like OP is even bothering to edit this video.

hindesite Veteran Member • Posts: 3,748

honeyiscool wrote:

1. Update is available.

Kind of confirms my point, really.

2. 1080p60 is needed for what purpose? It's not like OP is even bothering to edit this video.

Not relevant. Who am I (or anybody else) to judge the OP's needs. I have absolutely no idea what he is videoing or why. Or what he may want to do with it in future.

-- hide signature --

very true that i am not currently editing video, but that is more a product of lack of time as opposed to lack of desire to do so

in the future, i fully intend to edit my videos, and prefer 1080p at 60fps to 30 or 24 fps.  so, i would like either a solution or suitable workaround.

honeyiscool's solution about the OS/aperture upgrades sound promising, so i will likely give them a shot.  but thanks to both of you for your input and time!

hindesite wrote:

honeyiscool wrote:

1. Update is available.

Kind of confirms my point, really.

Not relevant. Who am I (or anybody else) to judge the OP's needs. I have absolutely no idea what he is videoing or why. Or what he may want to do with it in future.

the sad irony is that i used to use iPhoto/photoshop as my workflow, but i abandoned iPhoto when it no longer supported the avchd files from my GH1.  so naturally, all of my iPhoto albums were uploaded to aperture, and then deleted from iPhoto, which apparently has gone from problem to solution!  oh well, thanks for the idea - i may still use it if OS/aperture upgrades don't do the trick.

honeyiscool

When you upgrade your OS X to Mavericks, you will be able to upgrade your Aperture to 3.5 and it should handle these files fine.

just updated to mavericks, and updated aperture to 3.5. Sadly, when i shot one 60fps vid, and one still, then attempted to import them to aperture, only the still photo showed up - it appears that aperture is not recognizing the video. any ideas where i might be going wrong?

honeyiscool

Does it open in iPhoto? (They can use the same library)

haven't tried iPhoto yet - was hoping for a "one app" solution....

have also stayed away from iMovie, as i had an older version that took forever to upload movies (probably my older computer's fault).  maybe that is a solution?  or is iPhoto preferable - have you had success with iPhoto and 1080p 60fps?

thanks again for the help and suggestions!

Corkcampbell
I've had no problem with iMovie and 1080/60. (nt)

no text

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads