D7000 is horrible at soccer pictures

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions
photoisfun Regular Member • Posts: 244
D7000 is horrible at soccer pictures

Just recently purchased a D7000 as a backup to a backup and took it out to a few soccer games and the focus is HORRRIBLE. It rear focuses about 70% of the time. I've tried all focus options, but mainly AF-C w/ either Auto or single point focus and still get the same horrible results.

There was a review on YouTube that someone recently did comparing the D7000 and the Canon 70D and he had a similiar result, but his was better than mine. I'm only able to get 30% keepers at most. The lens I mainly use is Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII. I tried it at 2.8 and 4.0 and still the same results. Is this a known problems with the Nikon D7000?

Before I sell this thing, I reset the camera by pressing the green buttons, turning on the camera, and turning it off after the "blink" on the info screen. I hope this works because this camera seems to focus worse than my old D90.

I did not post samples because it's self explanatory. Rear focus with subject handling ball, the focus will catch the rear backgrounds (buildings, fence, people, etc.).

Canon EOS 70D Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482
Re: D7000 is horrible at soccer pictures

Wouldn't you think practice and learning may be the answer, rather than blaming the gear? Start with static subjects, moving away from the focus point and coming back. Once mastered, start with slow moving subjects...move through panning and focusing until you can do what birders do: get a sharp photo of tiny fast honey-sucker buzzing around distant flowers... If they can do it, surely the soccer play is a piece of cake.  There is quite a number of birders out there with the same camera, they should know better...

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100
OP photoisfun Regular Member • Posts: 244

ZorSy wrote:

Wouldn't you think practice and learning may be the answer, rather than blaming the gear? Start with static subjects, moving away from the focus point and coming back. Once mastered, start with slow moving subjects...move through panning and focusing until you can do what birders do: get a sharp photo of tiny fast honey-sucker buzzing around distant flowers... If they can do it, surely the soccer play is a piece of cake. There is quite a number of birders out there with the same camera, they should know better...

ZorSy,

I am not a noob. Semi noob yes. I've owned many cameras and it seems the D7000 has a problem with AF-C mode. In the short time I've experimented with AF-C mode and comparing it to my D700, D90 and D300, the D7000 has a problem with AF-C. One consistent problem I am getting is when I take a picture of a still object using AF-C mode, my other 3 cameras focus sharp, the D7000 does not focus sharp (1 out of 5 or 6 maybe). I don't know what is causing this, but I know it's not normal since my other 3 Nikons focus perfectly using the same exact AF-C mode and shooting a still object. Less than 30% keeper rate is unacceptable for any Nikon camera!

If you search YouTube, you'll see many people are having a higher percentage of non keepers with the D7000 when doing action photography. Maybe I have a bad copy, but I'm most likely going to get rid of the camera.

FYI, when using AF-S or AF-A mode, the focus is tack sharp. If I only did still photography, I'd keep the camera, but I want a camera that can do still photography and still be able to do the occassional AF-C required photos.

BirgerH
BirgerH Senior Member • Posts: 5,616

If you will not post your examples with exif-data included, noone can tell you whats wrong.

My guess - just as good as any others, might be, that the camera has no problem with AF-C mode - but that you have problems understanding the AF-Area modes, and the diffrerences between AF-modes and AF-Area modes.

Solution: Try read the manual and go out praticing.

BirgerH.

BirgerH's gear list:BirgerH's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 3,763

I read what you're saying . . . including not getting consistent results with even a static object . . .

Just curious . . . have you done anything with micro focus adjust on the D7000?

Just curious if this helps out in any way . . .

Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon D750 Fujifilm XP80 +5 more
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 11,546

Do you have it set to "focus priority" or "release priority'?

I've never set any Nikon I've owned to AF-C.  Might have to try that some time.

OP photoisfun Regular Member • Posts: 244

TacticDesigns wrote:

I read what you're saying . . . including not getting consistent results with even a static object . . .

Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --

I don't think micro focus adjust will help because in AF-A or AF-S mode, the camera focus is tack sharp. It's AF-C that has a problem. So to sum thing up, the AF-C does not focus too many keepers whether I'm shooting moving subjects and still subjects (I only did the still subjects in AF-C mode just to test different variables).

Cope
Cope Veteran Member • Posts: 6,328

photoisfun wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --

I don't think micro focus adjust will help because in AF-A or AF-S mode, the camera focus is tack sharp. It's AF-C that has a problem. So to sum thing up, the AF-C does not focus too many keepers whether I'm shooting moving subjects and still subjects (I only did the still subjects in AF-C mode just to test different variables).

Then I see two alternatives to selling the camera.  Number 1, send it to Nikon, and number 2, use AF-A.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
evan47
evan47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,440

photoisfun wrote:

Just recently purchased a D7000 as a backup to a backup and took it out to a few soccer games and the focus is HORRRIBLE. It rear focuses about 70% of the time. I've tried all focus options, but mainly AF-C w/ either Auto or single point focus and still get the same horrible results.

There was a review on YouTube that someone recently did comparing the D7000 and the Canon 70D and he had a similiar result, but his was better than mine. I'm only able to get 30% keepers at most. The lens I mainly use is Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII. I tried it at 2.8 and 4.0 and still the same results. Is this a known problems with the Nikon D7000?

Before I sell this thing, I reset the camera by pressing the green buttons, turning on the camera, and turning it off after the "blink" on the info screen. I hope this works because this camera seems to focus worse than my old D90.

I did not post samples because it's self explanatory. Rear focus with subject handling ball, the focus will catch the rear backgrounds (buildings, fence, people, etc.).

try setting it to af-s, single point, focus priority.

most d7000 focus issues are user error with the camera at default settings.

read the manual and practice your technique.

evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +5 more
BirgerH

photoisfun wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --

The AF-modes (AF-A, AF-C, AF-S) has nothing to do with shooting actions or stills in principle. It is about how the focus-motor are achieving focus - and reachieving. . Continious Servo (AF-C) trying to refocus all the time, when camera moves or when subjects moves, and Single Servo(AF-S) achieving focus and Locks it, when shutter is halfpressed.

Where to focus is determined by the choise of AF-Area -  Single Point - Dynamic Points or Auto.

Together with the continious focusing (AF-C) the dynamic areas are ment for action.

If you are using AF-C, you can use whatever AF-Areamode you want, but you can't Lock your focus. Even not by choosing AF-Area Single Point.

It Means, using AF-C, you cant be sure to have achieved a focus, when pressing the shutter. It can have been changed by movements, from you heard the beep and till the shutter-press or it can never have been achieved.

More common: If you use AF-C and AF-Areamode Auto, the camera it selfs decide where to focus - doesn't have to be at your subject, and specially not, if you are trying to focus at something that is as near as 2-3 feet.

The Af-system on the D7000 is a Little more advanced than on the D90 - there are more dynamic areas to choose, and none of them are ment for shooting same kind of Photos. So once Again -pratice them to learn them.

BirgerH.

Humanoid
Humanoid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,667

photoisfun wrote:

There was a review on YouTube that someone recently did comparing the D7000 and the Canon 70D and he had a similiar result, but his was better than mine. I'm only able to get 30% keepers at most. The lens I mainly use is Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII. I tried it at 2.8 and 4.0 and still the same results. Is this a known problems with the Nikon D7000?

Before I sell this thing, I reset the camera by pressing the green buttons, turning on the camera, and turning it off after the "blink" on the info screen. I hope this works because this camera seems to focus worse than my old D90.

It's not self explanatory. The images with exif can tell us where focus was and what the AF settings were. It wont tell us what your focus tracking with lock-on was, but its important to know. Just say no to AFA.:) If your gonna shoot action get use to using AF-ON and you wont go back.

I haven't shot socker, but I would evalutate AFC with single area or 9 pt dynamic area and focus tracking with lock-on set to long or normal and go from there.

I've seen many excellent images shot with the d7000 and AFC on other forums and these people make bank with their images and this camera.

Of course there is always a chance you do have something amiss with your copy of the D7000. Exhaust your resources before sending it in for service. You should not sell a damaged camera to anyone.

Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +8 more
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,412
A3

photoisfun wrote:

ZorSy wrote:

Wouldn't you think practice and learning may be the answer, rather than blaming the gear? Start with static subjects, moving away from the focus point and coming back. Once mastered, start with slow moving subjects...move through panning and focusing until you can do what birders do: get a sharp photo of tiny fast honey-sucker buzzing around distant flowers... If they can do it, surely the soccer play is a piece of cake. There is quite a number of birders out there with the same camera, they should know better...

ZorSy,

I am not a noob. Semi noob yes. I've owned many cameras and it seems the D7000 has a problem with AF-C mode. In the short time I've experimented with AF-C mode and comparing it to my D700, D90 and D300, the D7000 has a problem with AF-C. One consistent problem I am getting is when I take a picture of a still object using AF-C mode, my other 3 cameras focus sharp, the D7000 does not focus sharp (1 out of 5 or 6 maybe). I don't know what is causing this,

Did you turn your menu a3 to "off" or leave it at the default of "3"? That can really affect soccer photography.

but I know it's not normal since my other 3 Nikons focus perfectly using the same exact AF-C mode and shooting a still object. Less than 30% keeper rate is unacceptable for any Nikon camera!

And most folks indeed have a higher keeper rate with sports than this. If you have any examples (with full EXIF) we might be able to find out if your camera/lens is malfunctioning.

D7000 soccer

FYI, when using AF-S or AF-A mode, the focus is tack sharp. If I only did still photography, I'd keep the camera, but I want a camera that can do still photography and still be able to do the occassional AF-C required photos.

Again, what is your menu a3 set to? BTW, AF-A is usually a horrible setting for soccer. Good Luck

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

sams78 Forum Member • Posts: 68

30 percent keepers are good. I attach my 80-200 f/2.8 or the 85 f/1.8 and I have success, but lots of failure as well. Soccer is hard since to get a good shot, the distracting parents and kids need to be out to a degree in the background, the foregound neeeds to be right, and focus on a moving target must be perfect. 2% of my shots are good enough for 20x30.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,412
menu a1

photoisfun wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --

What is your menu a1 set to?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

qunamax
qunamax Contributing Member • Posts: 876

To my knowledge, focus shift just like a dust on sensor is just a normal maintenance of the camera and it could as well happen right out of the box for various reasons.
D7000 has an option in menu for focus calibration and if that does not fix the backfocus issues there should be a hex screw inside mirror compartment (not sure for the actual model) to further adjust it. I'd start there. Actually i'd start with further testing in a controlled environment.
It's just like saying a certain car model is bad because it has a bad spark plug.

qunamax's gear list:qunamax's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D610 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF
TacticDesigns

qunamax wrote:

there should be a hex screw inside mirror compartment (not sure for the actual model) to further adjust it. I'd start there.

Be careful of the hex screw . . .

Some people say it works . . . but its not really the real way to fix this . . . IMHO

Better to send back to Nikon than to do this . . .

Here's a link to what someone has said about that . . . [NOTE: There might be some rude verbiage in this article if I remember correctly . . . but very insightful on the "hex" method . . .]

http://buckscorner.com/home/nikon-d90-autofocus-calibration/

Anyway . . . I thought the micro focus adjust was suppose to try to help with this . . . if that does work, and its not a settings thing . . . then it should be back to Nikon . . .

-- hide signature --
David Lal Veteran Member • Posts: 9,750
User error

photoisfun wrote:

I am not a noob. Semi noob yes. I've owned many cameras and it seems the D7000 has a problem with AF-C mode. In the short time I've experimented with AF-C mode and comparing it to my D700, D90 and D300, the D7000 has a problem with AF-C. .

If you have a D300 why on Earth buy a D7k? That's where you went wrong. In this forum you'll never convince the fanboys there could be anything wrong with a D7k, its design or manufacturing quality control. Best just to nod and gently acquiesce to their greater wisdom ...

BirgerH
Re: User error

David Lal wrote:

photoisfun wrote:

I am not a noob. Semi noob yes. I've owned many cameras and it seems the D7000 has a problem with AF-C mode. In the short time I've experimented with AF-C mode and comparing it to my D700, D90 and D300, the D7000 has a problem with AF-C. .

If you have a D300 why on Earth buy a D7k? That's where you went wrong. In this forum you'll never convince the fanboys there could be anything wrong with a D7k, its design or manufacturing quality control. Best just to nod and gently acquiesce to their greater wisdom ...

Oooh yes - we can be convinced, that a D7K can be faulty - it's just very seldom.

Very often, it is not the camera - and most often this happens, when the OP will show no documentations.

Most often with focus problems with the D7000, the problem is using AF-area mode Auto and other wrong settings - because the user takes the camera right out of box - taking Pictures with Nikons default settings.

Next they are trying to "fine tune" without doing it correctly and maybe with no reason and last they are ruining their camera by using the "hex screw" method.

Just take all the threads and see how many was rearly camerafaults. There were some - not many.

BirgerH.

TacticDesigns

TacticDesigns wrote:

Anyway . . . I thought the micro focus adjust was suppose to try to help with this . . . if that does work, and its not a settings thing . . . then it should be back to Nikon . . .

I meant to say . . . ". . . if that does(n't) work, and its not a settings thing . . . then it should (go) back to Nikon . . . "

-- hide signature --
chary zp Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
Re: A3

Mako2011 wrote:

BTW, AF-A is usually a horrible setting for soccer. Good Luck

I've been reading this forum a while now and from what I've read so far, tell me, what is AF-A NOT horrible for?

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads