Chopped Lens Hoods for 1.4 23mm and 2.8 14mm

Started Oct 30, 2013 | Photos
Daniel from Bavaria Contributing Member • Posts: 919
Chopped Lens Hoods for 1.4 23mm and 2.8 14mm

Hi,

as some people don`t like the hefty lens hood design of the 1.4 23mm (including me) and do not really appreciate the plastic lens hood of the 14mm (again including me) I`ve solved this little annoyance for me

First of all: I don`t like screw-in lens hoods  or clip-on lens hoods for several reasons.

My solution

1.4 23mm:

Milled down the lens-hood to a ring of 2.5cm high. That`s the maximum possible rest if you want to get rid of the tulp. You can still see a little rest of the champfer of the lowest bow of the tulip.

The lens hood now remembers me a little bit of the Zeiss 2.0 35mm lens-hood (not out of metall and not as perfect, but good enough). I really like it.

2.8 14mm:

Milled down the longer tulip part to the same high of the shorter tulip parts. This ends in my opinion in a very nice hood design and remembers me a lesser little bit of the lens hood of the Zeiss Distagon 2.8 21mm - just much smaller and not so perfectly build and out of plastic - I love it.

I owned both Zeiss and the two Fujis are my substitutes of these two lenses which I sold in favor of the Fujis.

Attached you find some pictures to get an impression how it looks like.

Regards,

Daniel

XP1 with Fuji XF 1.4 23mm and chopped lens hood

XP1 with Fuji XF 14mm and chopped lens hood.

Fuji XF 14mm and 23mm each with chopped lens hood.

Daniel from Bavaria's gear list:Daniel from Bavaria's gear list
Leica SL2-S Leica APO-Summicron-SL 35mm F2 ASPH Leica SL 75mm F2 Leica Summaron-M 28mm F5.6
Asylum Photo
Asylum Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,277
Re: Chopped Lens Hoods for 1.4 23mm and 2.8 14mm

This would be my preferred option, but I don't have the tools to make it happen.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
justin_time Contributing Member • Posts: 924

Nice work. But I am not keen on hacking lumps of my lens hoods when they are £50/58 Euro/
$80 each.

Plus these bayonet hoods still increase the diameter of the lens so taking up more room in camera bag. For the 23mm I have bought a metal 23mm screw in hood for ~£6. From thread earlier this week it is OK unless using filter in which case vignetting occurs at f16 - I may try hacking some corners off!

Just wish fuji produced a lens hood like the 35mm for the 23mm

justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
OP Daniel from Bavaria Contributing Member • Posts: 919

justin_time wrote:

Here I agree with 100%.

Leica SL2-S Leica APO-Summicron-SL 35mm F2 ASPH Leica SL 75mm F2 Leica Summaron-M 28mm F5.6
Asylum Photo

Ditto. I can understand the bigger hood being optically better, but it also hurts the overall size when using it as a walk around. Options would be nice. I'd gladly buy an official compact hood if they made it. (Hopefully Fuji reads the forums ;))

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 13,956

Nicely done - I think you may have a new line of side business!

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GFX 50R +44 more
Ed_arizona Senior Member • Posts: 1,962

NICE JOB,

this area Is one big disappointment with Fuji lens IMO.. I have the 35mm F1.4 rubber hood cap Is a Joke, lens cap way difficult to attach ( I gave up), hood tricky to attach, am looking for better after market hoods

-- hide signature --

“ You’ve got to push yourself harder. You’ve got to start looking for pictures nobody else could take. You’ve got to take the tools you have and probe deeper." – William Albert Allard

Ed_arizona's gear list:Ed_arizona's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR 7artisans 55mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +3 more
marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,976
Congratulations!

You've just rendered them almost useless.

M.

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,135
Re: Congratulations!

marco1974 wrote:

M.

The purpose of the hood, aside from absorbing any bangs, is to block out the sun. As a landscape shooter even the 14mm hood is not enough at times. I guess it is a question of form or function.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +10 more

marco1974 wrote:

M.

Hi,

I love sarcasm. But I would say your statement is a bit too far fetched. For sure both hoods are now less functional, but for sure they are good enough for 99% of the situations.

If you look at the lens hoods from the Zeiss Distagon 2.0 35mm and 21mm, they cover in proportion nearly the same range. Nobody complaint here in the past.

Most of the time you'll even see no difference if you use a lens hood at all. But as I said, my modification reduces the efficiency of the hoods to shade the first glas element, that's out of question.

Nevertheless I prefer that style, but nobody has to

Regards,

Daniel

marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,976

Hi,

I appreciate your balanced reply, and I basically agree with you there.

Apologies if I sounded unnecessarily snotty, I didn't mean to.

Marco

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more

marco1974 wrote:

Hi,

I appreciate your balanced reply, and I basically agree with you there.

Apologies if I sounded unnecessarily snotty, I didn't mean to.

Marco

Hi Marco,

no offense taken, everything was absolutely in range.

Regards,

Daniel

Asylum Photo

Daniel from Bavaria wrote:

marco1974 wrote:

M.

Hi,

I love sarcasm. But I would say your statement is a bit too far fetched. For sure both hoods are now less functional, but for sure they are good enough for 99% of the situations.

If you look at the lens hoods from the Zeiss Distagon 2.0 35mm and 21mm, they cover in proportion nearly the same range. Nobody complaint here in the past.

Most of the time you'll even see no difference if you use a lens hood at all. But as I said, my modification reduces the efficiency of the hoods to shade the first glas element, that's out of question.

Nevertheless I prefer that style, but nobody has to

Regards,

Daniel

Very well said.

There's a strong possibility that I'll order a replacement Fuji hood, to have one full sized, and one chopped. Full sized would be for landscapes that need the best optical quality, chopped would be for every day shooting.

-- hide signature --
Trim Rocket New Member • Posts: 1

Daniel, I just stumbled onto your Post. That is exactly what I wanted to do. Thanks for the photos.

win39 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,560

I could not agree more. He has made it clear in his post that he considers a lens hood to be just a decorative item. Kind of like those folks that lower their cars because it looks cool and ruin the ride and the handling in the process.

Jason Haven Regular Member • Posts: 312

win39 wrote:

I could not agree more. He has made it clear in his post that he considers a lens hood to be just a decorative item. Kind of like those folks that lower their cars because it looks cool and ruin the ride and the handling in the process.

Still provides some lens flare protection, as well as protects the lens in case of drops, while visually decreasing size. This is a good set up for street photography. I think everyone should be free to modify/use their equipment how they wish, personally. I have a shorter lens hood for my 56mm when I'm doing non critical street work, for example.

Jason Haven's gear list:Jason Haven's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads