My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian stamp?

Started Oct 30, 2013 | Discussions
liquidstone
liquidstone Forum Pro • Posts: 10,100
My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian stamp?

Thanks to a concerned stamp collector from the UK who emailed me the information. It seems somebody had stolen one of my photos of a Long-tailed Shrike (Lanius schach), then used it erroneously as a photo of a White-fronted Falconet in a stamp issued by Malaysia!

Here's a link to my photo as appearing in my website, and a version is embedded here:

Posted below is a poster of the Malaysian stamp as posted at Facebook as well as comparison crops from the poster and my photo.

Whoever did this has committed two grave wrongs:

1. Stealing my photo and using it without permission; and
2. Serious ignorance, as the White-fronted Falconet looks very different from a Long-tailed Shrike.

I’m sure the Malaysian Government wouldn’t knowingly sanction this despicable act (which should be very embarrassing to them), and I hope they will investigate who did this and rectify the error.

Romy Ocon
Wild Bird Photographer
Manila, Philippines, October 30, 2013

-- hide signature --

Romy
PHILIPPINE WILD BIRDS (Over 260 species captured in habitat, and counting.)
www.romyocon.net

liquidstone's gear list:liquidstone's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +8 more
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,846
Re: My photo was stolen and used in a Malaysian stamp?

Quite some heavy photoshopping too, if that is indeed the case.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee Veteran Member • Posts: 6,383

I would not be at all certain that it's your photo. It looks subtly different..

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS-1D X +29 more
liquidstone
OP liquidstone Forum Pro • Posts: 10,100

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

I would not be at all certain that it's your photo. It looks subtly different..

If you look at the larger version of the crops, a lot of details match (position of the claws, feather detail, beak blemishes, etc.). Also note the bright spot in the abdominal area where they cloned out my watermark.

-- hide signature --

Romy
www.romyocon.net

Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +8 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,344
Nope, two different images!

Other than the species of bird being the same, nothing is the same, not even the angle of the bird.

If you want to compare the two paste them onto separate layers and use the opacity to see how different the two images are.

liquidstone
Click on "original size"

Mike_PEAT wrote:

Other than the species of bird being the same, nothing is the same, not even the angle of the bird.

If you want to compare the two paste them onto separate layers and use the opacity to see how different the two images are.

-- hide signature --

Romy
www.romyocon.net

Martin.au
Re: Click on "original size"

liquidstone wrote:

Mike_PEAT wrote:

All sorted. Video done. I can prove it's the same image.

Will upload video link momentarily.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,492

Yes, it is your photo. They replaced the branch and rotated the tail, but it is the same bird.

PS blending as difference shows almost nothing, even background is essentially the same (post processed but the same) - it is crude comparison and I left slight offset, but good enough to prove the point.

Now what? Only if you live in Malaysia...

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100
hdr Senior Member • Posts: 2,862

There can be two possibilities, viz:-

1) Image A is modded to appear like image B

2) Image B is being modded to appear like image A

There is only one way to prove which is which, and that is for either party to be able to produce the original image shot with the camera.

But in the event that both are able to produce it, (which IMHO is unlikely in this particular case), the matter becomes  complicated.

Martin.au

Martin.au wrote:

liquidstone wrote:

Mike_PEAT wrote:

All sorted. Video done. I can prove it's the same image.

And here's the video

https://vimeo.com/78143984

steephill Veteran Member • Posts: 9,861
Talk to an IP lawer
liquidstone
I have the original RAW file (nt)

hdr wrote:

There can be two possibilities, viz:-

1) Image A is modded to appear like image B

2) Image B is being modded to appear like image A

There is only one way to prove which is which, and that is for either party to be able to produce the original image shot with the camera.

But in the event that both are able to produce it, (which IMHO is unlikely in this particular case), the matter becomes complicated.

-- hide signature --

Romy
www.romyocon.net

carl english
carl english Veteran Member • Posts: 9,182
Re: could be twins!

I see 2 different images, sorry. I have Bird images going back 60yrs and majority are very similar regarding position of subject.

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
wootpile Contributing Member • Posts: 719
$$$ coming your way

I agree this is the same image. There is no way foot positioning + individual coat markings could be the same between two birds in different settings taken at different occasions.

Here is your case: It would have to be the same bird sitting with the same foot positions in the same lighting taken from the same angle, with the same fov by a different photographer at some other time.. impossible.

If the stamp is already in use /printed etc you should be able to cash in. Talk to a international rights lawyer, or even better, contact your countries trade department.

wootpile Contributing Member • Posts: 719
Same image - proof

Mike_PEAT wrote:

I disagree - all they have done is angle the tail in a attempt to forge the original image. Copy the body in layers and compare at any length. Identical bird, identical light situation.

ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,492

carl english wrote:

I see 2 different images, sorry. I have Bird images going back 60yrs and majority are very similar regarding position of subject.

but what are the chances the exact same patterned bird of the exactly the same proportions/size would take the same angle of the body to the head, sit on the branch with exactly the same spread of legs  and then TWO different photographer to get exactly the same angle at which the photo of these "two" birds were taken with the same background pattern? I reckon getting the Powerball lottery  win is a sure shot compared to that....

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100
hdr Senior Member • Posts: 2,862

carl english wrote:

Obviously you are seeing two different images here, as one is highly likely to have been modded from the other. Unless one is familiar with modern software like Photoshop, one will hardly suspect anything amisss when shown two apparently different images for comparison.

Like I said, if the other party is unable to produce the original image taken with the camera, then the suspect image is highly likely to have been modded using the genuine image as a 'template'.

IMHO, this is a clear-cut case.

Martin.au

carl english wrote:

Check the video.

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,580
Good video

Martin.au wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

all sorted. Video done. I can prove it's the same image.

And here's the video

https://vimeo.com/78143984

Very compelling.

Best regards,
Doug

quezra Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915
Re: Good video

Shame on the Malaysian post.  It's already hard enough to 'know' if your photos are stolen and harder still to make a compelling case.  I hope you can find a way to get reparation.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads