Finder support for Olympus ORF broken in Maverick ?

Started Oct 27, 2013 | Discussions
paulc Regular Member • Posts: 325
Finder support for Olympus ORF broken in Maverick ?

Hello:

I was wondering if this is a common issue, to just something on my Mac....

When I perform a file "quick view" in Finder, by selecting an Olympus ORF file and hitting the space bar, the resulting view is corrupted. The file opens fine in Preview, Aperture of Lightroom, so the file is not corrupted.

This was working prior to the Maverick update.

Anyone else having this problem ? Any suggestions for a fox ?

Thanks for any info. Paul.

Steven Wandy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,508
Re: Finder support for Olympus ORF broken in Maverick ?

Saw your thread before but just got to the iMac that has most of my photos.

Which camera are you having an issue with because I just tried your quick preview on several ORF RAW files from my EP5 and they displayed in the larger window fine. (BTW - thanks for that because I never realized that Finder was supposed to do that!)

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Sony RX100 V Canon PowerShot SX730 HS Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
OP paulc Regular Member • Posts: 325
Re: Finder support for Olympus ORF broken in Maverick ?

Steven Wandy wrote:

Which camera are you having an issue with because I just tried your quick preview on several ORF RAW files from my EP5 and they displayed in the larger window fine. (BTW - thanks for that because I never realized that Finder was supposed to do that!)

I use the OM-D EM-5.

The problem is, that this corrupted view occurs even on old files that I had on my drive even before I upgraded to Maverick.

It seems more people have problems with previewing RAW files, see here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5480494?start=0&tstart=0

And one more update - when I open the files in Preview ( the app, not the finder space bar preview ), the image opens in the Preview app window, displays for about 3 seconds, and then erases itself with a grey background, where the erasing itself looks like several large rectangles get painted throughput the window, till it is just grey.... Again, Aperture and Lightroom open the files just fine.

So my guess is this is a bug in Maverick, as the discussion at the above link suggests.

Regards, Paul.

It works in Cover flow, but then another HUGE bug

Steven Wandy wrote:

one more update on this....

The ORF files show fine in cover flow mode of Finder. My first reaction was HURRAY, I can use this to quickly view the files, decide what to delete, what to keep.

And then another bug. This one is pretty huge. If you in Cover flow delete the selected file, the preview part of the screen keeps showing the deleted file, while the list part of the screen moves to the next file past the one just deleted. In other words - the 2 views get out of synch. If you keep deleting based on what you see in the preview pane, you'd be deleting different files.

This is already described here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1660025

I am a software developer from the past ( now mostly retired ), and I cannot believe Maverick was released with such a huge bug.....I wonder what else is hiding under the hood.

Paul C.

Pikme Senior Member • Posts: 2,176
Just checked, no problems with my iMac

I have old iMac from 2007. Just checked all the things you mentioned (except Cover flow) with ORF files from my EM5 and I'm not having any problems at all.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

only partial fix in 10.9.1

I just updated to 10.9.1.

The "cover flow view gets out of synch" bug I described was fixed.

The cover flow display of ORF files seems much faster.

Preview still does not open the ORF files correctly.

I am waiting for a delivery of a new Retina 13, where I will do a clean re-installation of all of my applications. I am hoping this will fix the Preview issue.

Paul.

Pikme Senior Member • Posts: 2,176
Re: only partial fix in 10.9.1

Well, as I said earlier and have now confirmed with 10.9.1, I don't have any problems with Preview and EM5 orf files on my old 2007 iMac.

But if you want a really terrific, super fast and powerful browser for checking and evaluating files, organizing, adding or editing IPTC or EXIF data, renaming, exporting, etc., check out PhotoMechanic (http://www.camerabits.com).

I've used this for nearly 10 years and absolutely love it.  It is undoubtedly my most useful photography application.  It seems expensive at first, but you rarely (if ever) need to update after  purchasing it and it speeds workflow so much.  Support is very good and you can try it for free.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads