Hidden Secrets of the E-M1....

Started Oct 25, 2013 | Discussions
Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,204
Hidden Secrets of the E-M1....

Ok this thread is mostly aimed at people upgrading from the E-M5. Also we are looking here for the settings and functions that are not so widely known - we all know that the E-M1 has 1/8000, low iso and a small focus box for instance.

I am going to start with 5 and yes, I know many people will know many of them, hopefully you wont know them all. And hopefully people will add to this thread.

(5) Ok this is the least E-M1 based feature. The E-M1 now has a very well placed AEL/AFL button that can be turned into a 'spot meter' button by a 'one-off' change to the metering mode - spot.

(4) The EVF 'modes' are much improved in the E-M1 (with the E-M5 most people used mode 3 - default). Modes 1 and 2 have additional functionality and when you press down the shutter a horizantal guage will appear (if you want it to).

(3) There is a lever around the AEL/AFL button. You can change a lot with it. But one of its best features is adding 'flash modes' and 'flash compensation' to the buttons on the left of the top panel. If set properly all you have to do is move the AEL/AFL lever to '2'.

(2) The E-M1 has a new 'custom release menu' (there is no equivalent on the E-M5). This enables you to have 'one button' press 'normal bracketing' (as opposed to HDR) as you can set the number of photos taken with a single press. In addition this lets you set a shutter delay time from the moment you press to the moment you take the first photo.

(1) So my number one 'sort of' hidden feature of the E-M1 is.... If you tilt the LCD screen, then you switch off the auto-EVF switch. This is incredibly useful - with the E-M5 if you were in the 'menus' or 'playback' and your hand wandered near the EVF it would switch you to the EVF and switch you out of the menus/playback.

Rocky ID Olympian
Rocky ID Olympian Contributing Member • Posts: 765
Re: Hidden Secrets of the E-M1....

Great! Thanks a lot, I ve never read these points from reviewers. And these things adds plus points quiet significantly for me. Point number one is the biggest achilles heels of e-m5 for me.

Rocky ID Olympian's gear list:Rocky ID Olympian's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +17 more
ttivals Junior Member • Posts: 45

tracking

Phil Rose Veteran Member • Posts: 3,912
Is that a new...

...feature? Tracking"? Or are you unaware of the "Bookmark post" option in this web site? So please be aware you don't need to waste our time with a valueless "tracking" post.

Phil

ttivals wrote:

tracking

-- hide signature --
 Phil Rose's gear list:Phil Rose's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
knittinggirl Regular Member • Posts: 172

Tracking too!

knittinggirl's gear list:knittinggirl's gear list
Olympus Stylus 800 Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-620 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +11 more
Michael Kaufman
Michael Kaufman Senior Member • Posts: 2,763

Abrak wrote:

(3) There is a lever around the AEL/AFL button. You can change a lot with it. But one of its best features is adding 'flash modes' and 'flash compensation' to the buttons on the left of the top panel. If set properly all you have to do is move the AEL/AFL lever to '2'.

I didn't think I was going to use this lever. I assumed it would be too far from my thumb's resting position to be useful, but its actually close enough to easily hit. I don't program buttons for ISO and WB anymore because its so easy to toggle the lever and use the dials.

Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926

Abrak wrote:

(4) The EVF 'modes' are much improved in the E-M1 (with the E-M5 most people used mode 3 - default). Modes 1 and 2 have additional functionality and when you press down the shutter a horizantal guage will appear (if you want it to).

Mine is set so that horizontal and vertical levels appear in EVF when shutter is half pressed...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549

I tend to "learn as needed" added features when I upgrade Oly bodies. The EM1 has me thinking I'll be learning it for a year or two.

To me a nice surprise was to see that they have indeed finally fixed exposure bracketing and allow far larger EV steps between frames. Wasn't sure on that.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 20,022

Super list, thanks! And yes, your #1 resolves a great annoyance on the E-M5. I've literally trained myself to sneak my hand in from the side to avoid the eyepiece sensor (when I don't want to turn off autoswitching).

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

wilsonc
wilsonc Regular Member • Posts: 100

Abrak wrote:

(2) The E-M1 has a new 'custom release menu' (there is no equivalent on the E-M5). This enables you to have 'one button' press 'normal bracketing' (as opposed to HDR) as you can set the number of photos taken with a single press. In addition this lets you set a shutter delay time from the moment you press to the moment you take the first photo.

Regarding #2, does the single shutter press still require the user to hold down the shutter button until all frames are captured?

wilsonc's gear list:wilsonc's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Olympus PEN E-PM2 +5 more
CharlesTokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 722

Abrak wrote:

This one I didn't know about.  Very nice.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +22 more
offtheback
offtheback Senior Member • Posts: 1,053
Re: Is that a new...

Phil Rose wrote:

...feature? Tracking"? Or are you unaware of the "Bookmark post" option in this web site? So please be aware you don't need to waste our time with a valueless "tracking" post.

Phil

ttivals wrote:

tracking

EM-1 has auto switching between nice and not nice.Is yours stuck?

FrankParis Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Where is "custom release menu"?

Abrak wrote:

Where is it? I searched for it and couldn't find it. I noticed other people in this thread noting their satisfaction regarding this new feature, indicating to me that they had no trouble finding it. Please forgive my stupidity and give me instructions someone.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
LeeS Contributing Member • Posts: 877

Thanks for a very helpful list.

I agree that (1) is a major enhancement that I had not noted.  In experimenting I find that tilting the screen a bit inactivates the autoswitch in all 3 modes: shooting mode (no more black screen when shooting at waist level if too close to one's body), SCP , and playback mode.

I can't tell you how many times I have brought up an image on playback to show another person only to have the E-M5 blank the screen and revert back to shooting mode as one of our hands got too close to the EVF in the process of handing over the camera.

Lee

LeeS's gear list:LeeS's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus PEN-F
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 37,072
Re: Where is "custom release menu"?

FrankParis wrote:

Abrak wrote:

Where is it? I searched for it and couldn't find it. I noticed other people in this thread noting their satisfaction regarding this new feature, indicating to me that they had no trouble finding it. Please forgive my stupidity and give me instructions someone.

An earlier version is on the E-PL5 - use the Down button to get the shooting menu where you choose normal, timer, burst, antishock etc and go for the one with the delay 'c' on it. Then in shooting menu 2 the top item on my E-PL5 is the setup for that Custom mode. Number of frames, delay to start and time between frames. Experiment with that to see what more it might have over the E-PL5.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
OP Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,204

wilsonc wrote:

Abrak wrote:

Regarding #2, does the single shutter press still require the user to hold down the shutter button until all frames are captured?

On the E-M1 exposure bracketing is effectively split into 'two'. HDR (with brackets 2 and 3 EV apart) and 'bracketing' where the menu is the same as the E-M5. With 'HDR' you are forced to use high speed shutter release - so you have to keep your finger on the button while the photos are taken. With normal bracketing it depends on which shutter release mode you choose. If you use 'custom release' you can set it so that a single short  button press takes all the frames.

OP Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,204

OK here is another 'hidden feature'....

With the E-M1 you can set a function button to 'BKT'. This, in itself, is an improvement on the E-M5 which you couldnt.

Even better, if you hold down the function bbutton you have set to 'BKT' you can then use the front and rear dials to change the BKT mode (AE, ISO, Art etc) and also the number of frames and range.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348

There's a certain sequence of button presses that activates Cartier-Bresson Mode in which all your images will capture the Decisive Moment.

DonSC Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
Wireless LAN

The biggest new feature I've found is the wireless LAN. Not hidden but it's completely new. You download an app to your phone or iPad. Then you turn on WiFi on the camera and connect your device. Once connected you can control the camera including some basic properties such as ISO and aperture. Take a picture simply by tapping your device.

More prosaic but perhaps more useful you can transfer pics from the camera to the device. Nice for field work.

DonSC Senior Member • Posts: 1,032
I think this

The "Custom Menu Release" would logically be found in Custom Menu (Gears) and then "C" Release. But that's the same as you'll find on the EM-5.

I think the OP is referring to the HDR button. One press brings up a menu allowing you to select between two HDR modes, where you end up with one image, and five bracketing modes, where you end up with between 3 and 7 images which you will then need to combine yourself.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads