"Nex" has become an iconic brand name...

Started Oct 24, 2013 | Discussions
Philnw2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,506
"Nex" has become an iconic brand name...

When i'm looking through various photographic blogs and websites, i see the terms Nex and "m4/3" used a lot to define a type of small mirrorless camera. It has common name recognition to it, as much as "kleenex" does when one buys facial tissues.

Many companies would love to have an iconic brand name like that which has common usage and will probably end up in a dictionary some day if its not already there.

Sony seems determined to have one orderly numbering system, and perhaps a designator like "A5623" will roll off my lips some day as easily as Nex does today, but i don't think so

In any case, Sony should keep that term Nex in common usage on their website to define this kind of rangefinder camera, because i think its worth tons of publicity to them. Its almost like Sony has decided to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, to hack up a cliche

I thought the Nex was one ugly camera when i first saw it, so i keep buying them to see if the looks have improved Seriously, I grab my Nex camera(s) more often than my DSLR, and thats saying something because i really like my Pentax.

One last tip to Sony if they are reading, - think "quiet shutter". The Nex aren't too bad as far as shutter noise, but my K5 is quieter, and i think thats important for street shooting or in live performance theaters. The next time i buy a Nex to see if they're still ugly, i don't want to hear the shutter at all.

Second last tip to Sony if they aren't asleep yet, don't give up the rangefinder format just to please the American marketplace.  I'm an American and I know 2 other Americans in my photography club that like the Nex's.  So there are at least 3 Nex camera owners in the USA.  I'm not sure why these cameras haven't sold as well here as in the rest of the world.  But i can tell you that when i walk into the local playhouse to take rehearsal pictures, with the Dslr, noone asks any questions, when I'm carrying the Nex, they want to know what kind of camera it is, etc.  It seems like Nikon and Canon almost have a monopoly hold over the big box stores, altho I have seen Sony Nex's in Best Buy.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Nex 6, 5n, Pentax K5, Epson R3000

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28mm F2 +3 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
So "iconic"...

That many assume that NEX is yet another mirror-less body with m43 sized sensor. And so iconic that people have come to imagine a non-existing imaging division within Sony called "NEX" which also happens to make video cameras called "NEX".

I think, consolidation under a uniform naming convention was overdue. Can't wait to see what A3, A5 and A6 bring to the plate, or perhaps A9.

Philnw2 wrote:

When i'm looking through various photographic blogs and websites, i see the terms Nex and "m4/3" used a lot to define a type of small mirrorless camera. It has common name recognition to it, as much as "kleenex" does when one buys facial tissues.

Many companies would love to have an iconic brand name like that which has common usage and will probably end up in a dictionary some day if its not already there.

Sony seems determined to have one orderly numbering system, and perhaps a designator like "A5623" will roll off my lips some day as easily as Nex does today, but i don't think so

In any case, Sony should keep that term Nex in common usage on their website to define this kind of rangefinder camera, because i think its worth tons of publicity to them. Its almost like Sony has decided to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, to hack up a cliche

I thought the Nex was one ugly camera when i first saw it, so i keep buying them to see if the looks have improved Seriously, I grab my Nex camera(s) more often than my DSLR, and thats saying something because i really like my Pentax.

One last tip to Sony if they are reading, - think "quiet shutter". The Nex aren't too bad as far as shutter noise, but my K5 is quieter, and i think thats important for street shooting or in live performance theaters. The next time i buy a Nex to see if they're still ugly, i don't want to hear the shutter at all

-- hide signature --

Phil B
Nex 6, 5n, Pentax K5, Epson R3000

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: "Nex" has become an iconic brand name...

Sony EN-EE-EX 5-TEE, isn't exactly easy to say.  A5 would be a lot easier.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Sonyshine
Sonyshine Senior Member • Posts: 8,738
Re: Not really....

Very few brands really matter: Coca Cola, Apple, Ford, VW etc and sadly in photography probably Kodak is probably the brand with the biggest recall .... Nex is only known by its fans and by enthusiasts but to the wider public its meaningless.... although Samsung flattered Nex it by imitating it !

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Apple Aperture Apple iPhone SE
Sonyshine
Re: Kodak Brownie is the only iconic camera name?

...I do love cameras with proper names though instead of confusing numbers!

Agfa Clack, Zeiss Ikoflex, Ansco Shur-flash, Voigtlander Bessa, Kodak Brownie, Lomography Diana, Kodak Instamatic, Crown Graphic, Minolta Autocord, Univex Mercury, Lubitel Universal...

...I bet the only one the man in the street has heard of is the Kodak Brownie!

EinsteinsGhost
Great Point!

viking79 wrote:

Sony EN-EE-EX 5-TEE, isn't exactly easy to say. A5 would be a lot easier.

Eric

I don't think a lot of people realize that. They think along the lines of "NEX(t)".

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
PVCdroid
PVCdroid Senior Member • Posts: 4,331

You are not alone in your opinion that NEX represents an innovative, quality camera brand. I guess Sony could revive it later but don't see any baggage with it now. IMO it's a cost cutting measure trying to control or focus R&D/admin/marketing costs that the current CEO pledged to get under control. There has been a lot of heat by certain shareholders who want Sony to spin off the electronics division where losses have prevailed in recent years. What we don't know is whether the camera division was profitable compared to the other product lines in the electronics division that include everything from cameras to TV, home audio, computers/smartphones. We also don't know if NEX vs. Alpha vs. Cybershot vs. Pro video cameras have been profitable. Sony shareholders and management probably think cameras are the least of their concerns. IMO it's all about the money or they would have left it alone.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R II
EinsteinsGhost

PVCdroid wrote:

You are not alone in your opinion that NEX represents an innovative, quality camera brand. I guess Sony could revive it later but don't see any baggage with it now. IMO it's a cost cutting measure trying to control or focus R&D/admin/marketing costs that the current CEO pledged to get under control.

By saving less than a drop of paint per camera body for not having to print "NEX" anywhere on the body? Sony Alpha NEX is the camera you're talking about... now, Sony Alpha (ILCE).

There has been a lot of heat by certain shareholders who want Sony to spin off the electronics division where losses have prevailed in recent years. What we don't know is whether the camera division was profitable compared to the other product lines in the electronics division that include everything from cameras to TV, home audio, computers/smartphones. We also don't know if NEX vs. Alpha vs. Cybershot vs. Pro video cameras have been profitable. Sony shareholders and management probably think cameras are the least of their concerns. IMO it's all about the money or they would have left it alone.

Sonyshine
Re: Sony Alpha is the brand name...

The brand is Sony Alpha.

Why dilute it?

Makes perfect sense to me.

viking79
Re: Great Point!

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Eric

I don't think a lot of people realize that. They think along the lines of "NEX(t)".

Exactly, I had to ask a Sony rep how to say the name and he said N-E-X spelled out.  I always said Nex(t) before that, and now I am 50-50 which way I say it.  It is a weird name and hard to say.

Eric

Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
PVCdroid

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

By saving less than a drop of paint per camera body for not having to print "NEX" anywhere on the body? Sony Alpha NEX is the camera you're talking about... now, Sony Alpha (ILCE).

It appears to be more than that with competing design teams and overhead costs. The CEO pledged to reduce labor by 10K positions. There are a lot of articles on this regarding the electronics division problems: Sony's slow entry into the HDTV or smartphone market. It's too bad that the electronics division encompasses so many different product lines.

viking79

Sonyshine wrote:

although Samsung flattered Nex it by imitating it !

You mean the other way around, Samsung NX was out many months before Sony NEX.

Samsung NX10/100 was released Jan 2010 and Sony NEX 3/5 was Jun 2010. I am sure they were both under development at the same time.

Eric

Sonyshine

viking79 wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

Samsung NX10/100 was released Jan 2010 and Sony NEX 3/5 was Jun 2010. I am sure they were both under development at the same time.

Eric

True about the timing...although Samsung has a global reputation for plagiarism and underhand behaviour ...

See under "Controversies"

viking79

Sonyshine wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

Eric

True about the timing...although Samsung has a global reputation for plagiarising... ask Apple, HTC, Microsoft, Nokia, Panasonic, Sony......

It goes both ways.  I think people are overly harsh on Samsung.  Overlooking the fact that all those other companies do similar.

Eric

Sonyshine

Samsung has a long history of bad behaviour and has been fined many times:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Electronics#Controversies

EinsteinsGhost

viking79 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Eric

Exactly, I had to ask a Sony rep how to say the name and he said N-E-X spelled out. I always said Nex(t) before that, and now I am 50-50 which way I say it. It is a weird name and hard to say.

Eric

It might be a good thing, considering the other Alpha line is acronymed... SLT.

Sonyshine

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

viking79 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Eric

Exactly, I had to ask a Sony rep how to say the name and he said N-E-X spelled out. I always said Nex(t) before that, and now I am 50-50 which way I say it. It is a weird name and hard to say.

Eric

It might be a good thing, considering the other Alpha line is acronymed... SLT.

Try saying SLT with a mouthful of food......

Anyways...is it Es El Tee or SL(u)T ?

EinsteinsGhost

PVCdroid wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

It appears to be more than that with competing design teams and overhead costs. The CEO pledged to reduce labor by 10K positions. There are a lot of articles on this regarding the electronics division problems: Sony's slow entry into the HDTV or smartphone market. It's too bad that the electronics division encompasses so many different product lines.

You're talking about something else... an increased cooperation between Cybershot (fixed lens) and Alpha (ILC) divisions. NEX was a line of ILC within Alpha brand, the other line: SLT.

Now, it is simply: Alpha. And that is how it should be.

PVCdroid

This is a good article from August on the pressure to consolidate within Sony. Blame Loeb for killing NEX branding. Looking at this it is good that they didn't just shut down parts of the electronics division or sell it off and also good that Hirai has made progress in reducing costs.

http://news.yahoo.com/sony-cuts-tv-sales-forecast-keeps-smartphone-game-062240234.html

"LOEB'S LETTER

In a letter to investors on Monday, Loeb praised CEO Kazuo Hirai's efforts to stem the red ink in Sony's electronics business by cutting overheads and streamlining its range of products. At the same time, however, he reiterated his call for deeper changes.

"Putting these encouraging gains into perspective, they are modest in light of the longer-term challenges facing Sony and the Japanese electronics industry. Drastic - rather than incremental - action is required," the letter said."

Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 31,602

The NEX was launched as a compact camera that just happened to be able to take more than one lens.  The hardware inside the box was quite good but the box itself pretty down-market and the controls and firmware were a bit of an insult to a technical user's intelligence.

Maybe they have improved.  I would not touch a NEX (seemingly forever) after waving them around in  a shop once.  Too lightweight for me in more ways than one.

Needed a mule for my Canon EF lenses that wasn't a Canon dslr box nor their own lightweight EOS-M "NEX beater".  I found that the NEX6 was an acceptably improved camera over the early NEX models and that the hardware was technically very good (as usual), but since using it and taking many fine images I find that the controls and firmware are still on the "light" side.  The A7 series seems to have made a decent step towards a "proper" camera for the more enthusiastically minded.

So the NEX may be "iconic" but only in the sense that it is a very good camera aimed at consumers as users and not as highly enthusiastic ones.

Many like myself might have "waved around" and early NEX and wiped all idea of it ever becming a brand of choice.  I was only perchance of an electronic adapter for Metabones that hauled me in over pre-conceived prejudices.  As a quality imaging device my prejudices were quite wrong, as an enthusiast's camera of choice maybe not so wrong.

Also the brand "NEX" having overcome its first mass-consumer inspired image is also far to close to the Samsung "NX" brand  series in the non-Sony mindset and easily confused if you are a camera brand free-agent.

Therefore if Sony wishes to project to a more serious user camera base the NEX might not be working for them other than to the already converted.

Maybe the NEX brand could continue but I think that market is already fleshed out and Sony might now be aiming for a higher level image.  Canon stepped down into NEX-image territory with the EOS-M and I suggest they had their face slapped.  Now Sony wishes to mix it with the major dslr manufacturers (for their share of that market) and as such needs a different aura than consumer-camera.  The A series handed down from the Minolta days might  be considered a better bet.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads