K-3 Focus Peaking

Started Oct 23, 2013 | Discussions
robert james Regular Member • Posts: 273
K-3 Focus Peaking

From the manual, it looks like you cannot assign focus peaking to any button like with my K-01.

That's a feature I wish they had included on the K-3.  Also, you have to switch the movie/stills lever to record movies, so why the record button?  You just hit the shutter button as per the K-5.  Not sure what the benefit is of the record button really.

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,278
Re: K-3 Focus Peaking

Actually I have been a  bit perplexed over this too, why the lever?

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
m87501 Forum Member • Posts: 63

robert james wrote:

From the manual, it looks like you cannot assign focus peaking to any button like with my K-01.

Yeah you're right it looks like, although maybe there's an assignment on the C1/C2 wheel for manual vs autofocus, so it can be disabled in autofocus mode?

pixelsmithy Contributing Member • Posts: 540

I may be wrong about this, but since [Focus Peaking] is set to [ON] in [Live View] of the [Camera 3] menu, it may be possible to save this (along with other preferences) to one of the three USER modes.

The "Saving Frequently Used Settings" on page 75 says that [Camera 1-4] menu settings "(with exceptions)" can be saved to a USER mode. Hopefully [Focus Peaking] isn't one of those exceptions.

You could then Edit the USER1/2/3 mode to FOCUS-PEAKING.

pixelsmithy's gear list:pixelsmithy's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Col K10d
Col K10d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,216

Have you worked out where it states the exceptions are?

-- hide signature --

Colin
If a picture's worth a 1000 words, why have I run out of shelves?

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
pixelsmithy Contributing Member • Posts: 540

Col K10d wrote:

Have you worked out where it states the exceptions are?

I have not. The appendix (under "Customization") says for "USER Mode": Up to 3 settings can be saved. I am hopeful that Focus Peaking > On is one of them. We may need to ask this of some of the "hands-on" reviewers.

pixelsmithy's gear list:pixelsmithy's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Col K10d
Col K10d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,216

I guess the first time I can review the saved settings under a user mode... I'll see which are saved!

-- hide signature --

Colin
If a picture's worth a 1000 words, why have I run out of shelves?

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
yursturly Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: K-3 movie/stills lever

Haven't been able to get into the manual yet, but is it possible there is a separate record button for video because (now or in the future) one might be able to shoot a still while recording? This feature is present on some other cameras, and I've read it is very useful.

I almost never shoot video, but maybe having it available will change my habits, and I would reeally like to be able to shoot a photo without having to stop everything. I do know (from the IR tech review) that the K-3 currently will not autofocus while video is recording, and this might pose a problem for taking a still during that time, but why else would they have two separate buttons?

-- hide signature --

You cannot fake sincerity

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads