XP1 or XE2

Started Oct 22, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,450
XP1 or XE2
1

I've been watching the X series since last December and I'm getting close to adding something to my stable. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but it's hard to search it out. So I apologize in advance if it's out there.

Basically, I'm torn between the Xpro1 and the XE2. I really liked the optical viewfinder option on the Pro, it's really nice to look through, but is it worth the extra $$$? (For me, it might be.) And when I compared the two in person, I thought the Pro seemed a little more solid, but that's perhaps more of a perception issue.

Is there anything else compelling about the XPro? I like them both, but would like to hear from those who have used or own both.

 stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Asylum Photo
Asylum Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,277
Re: XP1 or XE2

Fujifilm usually announces something around January, so if you can be patient there might be an X-Pro2 announcement then.

Otherwise, the X-E2 is probably significantly better than the X-Pro1. The only benefits of the XP1 are the OVF (which is increasingly marginalized by bigger XF lenses) and the full metal build.

If both had equal internals, I'd choose the XP series, every day of the week, but right now the X-E2 is a step ahead.

I own both the X-Pro1 and X-E1

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
stevo23 OP Forum Pro • Posts: 10,450
Re: XP1 or XE2

Asylum Photo wrote:

Fujifilm usually announces something around January, so if you can be patient there might be an X-Pro2 announcement then.

Otherwise, the X-E2 is probably significantly better than the X-Pro1. The only benefits of the XP1 are the OVF (which is increasingly marginalized by bigger XF lenses) and the full metal build.

What have they done? I see the processor is different, probably some AF features etc. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

 stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Perry Kivolowitz
Perry Kivolowitz Regular Member • Posts: 273
Re: XP1 or XE2

stevo23 wrote:

What have they done? I see the processor is different, probably some AF features etc. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

DPR has a good first look highlighting the differences in the XE-2 here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/18/first-impressions-review-of-fujifilm-x-e2-midrange-mirrorless-ilc?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

 Perry Kivolowitz's gear list:Perry Kivolowitz's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
mr moonlight Senior Member • Posts: 1,789
Re: XP1 or XE2

If you need an OVF, the decision is simple.

My advice is if you're buying a new camera, buy only when you absolutely need it then, or wait until after a new model is released. We can assume that since the XP1 is coming up on it's 2 year mark combined with the recent release of the XE2 that the XP2 will be announced sometime in the near future. So if your ideal would be an XP1 with all the new features of the XE2, and you can stand to wait 6 months. Wait for the XP2. If you need a camera today and want an OVF, buy an XP1. If the XP2 is announced tomorrow, you can never say you should have waited because you waited as long as you possibly could to buy it. Plus an announcement still means deliveries are a bit off in the future.

stevo23 OP Forum Pro • Posts: 10,450
Re: XP1 or XE2

mr moonlight wrote:

If you need an OVF, the decision is simple.

My advice is if you're buying a new camera, buy only when you absolutely need it then, or wait until after a new model is released. We can assume that since the XP1 is coming up on it's 2 year mark combined with the recent release of the XE2 that the XP2 will be announced sometime in the near future. So if your ideal would be an XP1 with all the new features of the XE2, and you can stand to wait 6 months. Wait for the XP2. If you need a camera today and want an OVF, buy an XP1. If the XP2 is announced tomorrow, you can never say you should have waited because you waited as long as you possibly could to buy it. Plus an announcement still means deliveries are a bit off in the future.

That's good advice from all. I'll look for that. I suspect an announcement could be fairly soon - it seems like announcement and rumor season lately.

 stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +1 more
Jim Evidon
Jim Evidon Contributing Member • Posts: 743
Re: XPro-1 or XE2 ? It depends what finder you want.
1

stevo23 wrote:

I've been watching the X series since last December and I'm getting close to adding something to my stable. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but it's hard to search it out. So I apologize in advance if it's out there.

Basically, I'm torn between the Xpro1 and the XE2. I really liked the optical viewfinder option on the Pro, it's really nice to look through, but is it worth the extra $$$? (For me, it might be.) And when I compared the two in person, I thought the Pro seemed a little more solid, but that's perhaps more of a perception issue.

Is there anything else compelling about the XPro? I like them both, but would like to hear from those who have used or own both.

Both cameras have the same sensor. The XE-1 has a superior EVF while the X Pro-1 has a very good one; not as good but still very good. The X Pro-1 is built a little better, but not that much better. Both will give long service after you have grown tired of them and bought the newest model.

There is only one reason to buy the X-Pro-1.That is for the wonderful hybrid finder, and that is why I bought it. I use the OVF most of the time. It is brighter, has no distortion of the image, doesn't block shadow details or burn out highlights, etc. That is because you are looking through glass. The EVF is best for manual focusing, especially with the focus peaking. In very low light, I use the OVF. In very bright sun at certain angles, the frame lines in the OVF tend to fade and in that situation I also use the EVF. Either is accessible with the push of a lever.

Bottom line: Buy the X Pro-1 and get the hybrid finder. If you don't care, save the money and buy the XE-1 or 2.
Jim

 Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Leica M9-P Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica T +2 more
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,561
Re: XP1 or XE2
1

Don't be fooled by the OVF. It is great in the X100 where you have one focal length and it is made for it.

I stopped using the OVF since I got the 14mm lens. The longer lenses will be just the same. OVF as nice as it is works only with the 18mm and the 35mm lens.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon PowerShot G7 X Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 +13 more
mjl699
mjl699 Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: XP1 or XE2

stevo23 wrote:

I've been watching the X series since last December and I'm getting close to adding something to my stable. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but it's hard to search it out. So I apologize in advance if it's out there.

Basically, I'm torn between the Xpro1 and the XE2. I really liked the optical viewfinder option on the Pro, it's really nice to look through, but is it worth the extra $$$? (For me, it might be.) And when I compared the two in person, I thought the Pro seemed a little more solid, but that's perhaps more of a perception issue.

Is there anything else compelling about the XPro? I like them both, but would like to hear from those who have used or own both.

At this point I would advocate the XE2, and I am an owner of an XP1. Personally I am waiting for the XP2 before I upgrade ... The reason that I would buy the XE2 now if I were buying my first "X" is that the XE2 is all-around faster than the XP1, including faster to focus, and has the split screen manual focus aide (not offered on the XP1). There will also be tons of changes under the skin just making it a little bit better in every way.

The XP1 O/EVF is a great feature and I use it all the time in "street" circumstances, but it does have its drawbacks, like imperfect framing. I have only primes - so I can't comment on the OVF for the zooms, but I imagine that it's pretty useless for anything more than the 60mm lens I do use it for ...

-- hide signature --

mjl599

 mjl699's gear list:mjl699's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Leeb1977 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: XP1 or XE2

I purchased the xpro 1, with the free lens offer, so paid £999 for the camera and an 18mm and 35mm lens.

When the xe2 comes down in price in a few months, I'll sell the xpro1 body, and get the xe2, but still have 2 lenses.

Until then very happy with the xpro1, upgraded from the x100, and really glad I did.

VdesmedT New Member • Posts: 1
Re: XP1 or XE2

I was also looking forward for the OVF but then realised that most of the actual users of both XP1 or X100S were all using the digital finder because it gives better feedback on exposure and depth of field. I then consider buying the X-E2 except if I can find a release date for the XP2 and that it is confirmed it will receive the CMOS II sensor.

Felix11 Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: XP1 or XE2

I bought the X-Pro1 last week.

One thing I have discovered is that if you wear glasses the 14mm eye point of the X-Pro1 is too short and you cannot completely see all of the info in the view finder (optical and electronic).

If this will affect you get the X-E2 or wait to see if the X-Pro2 has a longer eye-point.

X-Pro1    14mm
X-E1       23mm
X-E2       23mm

X-100     15mm
X-100s    15mm

However, since they improved the eye point on the X-E but not X-Pro1 or X100s then maybe the hybrid viewfinder isn't suited to a longer eye point.

 Felix11's gear list:Felix11's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
WT Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,495
Re: XP1 or XE2

Felix11 wrote:

I bought the X-Pro1 last week.

One thing I have discovered is that if you wear glasses the 14mm eye point of the X-Pro1 is too short and you cannot completely see all of the info in the view finder (optical and electronic).

Really? I wear glasses & do not find that to be the case at all. Now polarized sunglasses will play hell with the information in the VF but that is true of any camera. At least any I have owned.

-- hide signature --

Warren

bavarius6 Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Re: XP1 or XE2

Felix11 wrote:

I bought the X-Pro1 last week.

One thing I have discovered is that if you wear glasses the 14mm eye point of the X-Pro1 is too short and you cannot completely see all of the info in the view finder (optical and electronic).

If this will affect you get the X-E2 or wait to see if the X-Pro2 has a longer eye-point.

X-Pro1 14mm
X-E1 23mm
X-E2 23mm

X-100 15mm
X-100s 15mm

However, since they improved the eye point on the X-E but not X-Pro1 or X100s then maybe the hybrid viewfinder isn't suited to a longer eye point.

Same here.  Came from a Pentax K5 which I couldn't use glasses with but since the change I now always wear my glasses when taking photographs, no problems.

Chris G Hughes Regular Member • Posts: 391
Re: XP1 or XE2

My feeling is that as the range of X mount lenses increases the XP OVF makes less and less sense. You end up with all the disadvantages of a rangefinder for no real reason. Personally, I'm holding off to see what becomes of the rumored X system weather sealed body. A more robust version of the X-E2 that sits between it and the XP would be great.

I agree with what others have said thus far: if you want an OVF, grab an X100S. The OVF really makes the most sense in a fixed lens system. The X-E2 with EVF only strikes me as the superior body, at least as far as my approach is concerned.

 Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Gunston Gun
Gunston Gun Regular Member • Posts: 352
Re: XP1 or XE2

Xpro2 in 2015

 Gunston Gun's gear list:Gunston Gun's gear list
Leica M8.2 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads