Giving new life to D40 - need lens rec's

Started Oct 21, 2013 | Discussions
infiniti029 Regular Member • Posts: 176
Giving new life to D40 - need lens rec's

I have access to an old D40 that isn't being used from someone. It currently only has the kit zoom and a long tele. My main camera is an RX100, but it lacks DOF control (bg blur) and wide angles (<24mm).

Would it be worth getting some new lenses for the D40, even thought it's a dated body? I was considering a 35mm, not sure what else is worth getting.

Want: Gain more creative freedom with DOF control, practice shooting

Don't want: Anything too expensive, I prob won't be using this camera around because I don't like the bulk of a DSLR. I have no desire to upgrade to a new DSLR body.

infiniti029's gear list:infiniti029's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Nexu1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,746
Re: Giving new life to D40 - need lens rec's

I'd recommend the Nikon 50mm f1.8G.

Fun lens that is nice and sharp, great value at $200 and will allow you to play around with depth of field.  The 35mm f1.8G is another highly rated one but I think the 50 will give you more options for depth of field.

Otherwise, maybe there are some old lenses you can find for super cheap.

Nexu1's gear list:Nexu1's gear list
Nikon D750
OP infiniti029 Regular Member • Posts: 176

I think 50mm may be a bit too narrow for me. Is there anything around 24mm (35mm ff eqv) that'd be worth it?

infiniti029's gear list:infiniti029's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Roger T. Senior Member • Posts: 2,522
18-70 DX - Re: Giving new life to D40 - need lens rec's

Look for a clean, used AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G - it was the kit lens for the D70 way back when, but it's a great lens, compact, and works very well on the D40.  My wife is still using that combo, and a lot of the ikebana and travel pictures on our site were taken with it.

-- hide signature --
 Roger T.'s gear list:Roger T.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Nikon D40 Nikon D100 Nikon D700 +10 more
mrbr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,075

Maybe the latest sigma ?

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-17-70mm-f2-8-4-os-hsm

Greetings,

Marc

mrbr's gear list:mrbr's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Nikon D5100 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +6 more
atamola Regular Member • Posts: 194

infiniti029 wrote:

I have access to an old D40 that isn't being used from someone. It currently only has the kit zoom and a long tele. My main camera is an RX100, but it lacks DOF control (bg blur) and wide angles (<24mm).

Would it be worth getting some new lenses for the D40, even thought it's a dated body? I was considering a 35mm, not sure what else is worth getting.

Want: Gain more creative freedom with DOF control, practice shooting

Don't want: Anything too expensive, I prob won't be using this camera around because I don't like the bulk of a DSLR. I have no desire to upgrade to a new DSLR body.

If I understand correctly you can have the D40 for free? If so, it's a unquestionable yes. Get the 35 f1.8 second hand for $130 and you will have a terrific photographic machine.

If you have to pick one lens for the D40 (just one lens) then go with the Nikon 35 f1.8. Period.

In case you have to pay for the D40, I personally wouldn't pay more than $100 for a body in excellent condition.

Note: I bought this camera twice and used it with the 35 f1.8 and other lenses. I'm talking from experience here.

atamola Regular Member • Posts: 194

infiniti029 wrote:

I think 50mm may be a bit too narrow for me. Is there anything around 24mm (35mm ff eqv) that'd be worth it?

The sigma 24 f1.8 would be excellent if not for the lack of auto-focus with the D40. If you think you can live with manual focus (green dot confirmation) the sigma is the perfect 35mm equiv for the D40.

Note: the Nikon 24 f2.8 is too slow given the max iso 1600 (beyond that the D40 IQ is obliterated). Moreover, it doesn't come close to the sigma in terms of close focus.

Problem is that the Sigma is rather expensive.

chuhsi Contributing Member • Posts: 999

definitely a 50mm 1.8 or 35mm 1.8. that's what i use on my d40. cheap and work really well.

chuhsi's gear list:chuhsi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
KilroyWasHere
KilroyWasHere Forum Member • Posts: 93

Just shot the Florida Keys two weeks ago with a D-40 and 35mm f1.8.  Worked great.

thygocanberra Regular Member • Posts: 355

I have a D60 so very similar to D40. I also have the 35mm f1.8 and also suggest it. Very sharp, light lens - I think a great match for this sized body.

I also think the 18-70 suggestion is a good one if you can pick one up. I have an 18-135 which is also a nice light combo and you could probably pick one of these up pretty cheap too.

IonPortraits
IonPortraits Regular Member • Posts: 167

I second Roger's opinion. D40 does wonders whern coupled with an AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G (D70's kit lens). 
I would also suggest you created a custom profile in the camera's menu with the hue to +6 and (maybe) -1 with contrast.
Those 6mp Sony sensors on the Nikons under good light were/are just unrivalled in my opinion. ION

-- hide signature --

ionportraits.gr
facebook.com/ionportraits

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads