Question About X-Trans Detail

Started Oct 18, 2013 | Discussions
tinpusher
tinpusher Senior Member • Posts: 1,376
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

H Smith wrote:

In my experience, the X 100s or the other X-Trans cameras have significantly more detail in their images than even the X100. You just have to process them with the right software (I use Capture 1).

I think you're right about fabulous detail (and noise handling) but the converters that I use Silkypix and LR 5 don't do the files justice.

So far nobody seems to be able to cope with the X Trans's vivid Greens and until they do I won't look at an X Trans sensor again.

I wish Iridient produced a version for a Windows PC.

JimMc Senior Member • Posts: 2,882
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail
2

kcamacho11 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

I have both an X-E1 and a NEX-6 (purchased the NEX-6 for HD video and tilt screen).

I have both cameras with their kit lenses (18-55 and 16-50). The concern I have is that when I zoom in a bit (not even 100%), I am seeing more detail in the NEX-6 images compared to my X-E1. I find this odd as both cameras are 16MP with excellent sensors.

For example, I took a picture of my dog with each camera, at very similar focal length and same aperture (F5.6), ISO200....yet when viewing it in my Macbook Pro, when I zoom in to see the detail of my dog's face, like the eyes, nose, etc. the NEX-6 photo just looks sharper to me.

Both were jpeg's, straight out of the camera, no post-processing...and I have each camera's sharpness setting at +1.

The X-E1 photo looks great when viewing in its regular size, but its when I zoom in where I see some differences every now and then. Not only in this photo of my dog, but in others as well.

What could be the issue here? Does the X-Trans sensor suffer from a bit of lack of detail?

Let's see...

Here you say you have an X-E1 and a Nex6.

Four days ago you wrote (in m4/3 forum) about your Panasonic GX7 (a new camera model) and your Canon 70D.

Then 2 days ago you wrote that you received your Canon 70D that morning, your favorite DSLR ever.

Then 1 day ago you wrote that you own a Nex7, your "favorite camera of all time."

Then 1 hour ago you wrote that your RX100M2 is your favorite camera -- you dumped all your DSLR gear for it.

Now you write that you have an X-E1 and Nex6, and have concerns about the detail of the Fuji.

Well I have a 2015 American Motors Pacer that I'm having difficulties with...

Come on...

stalkstôk/verbgerund or present participle: stalking

  1. 1. pursue or approach stealthily."a cat stalking a bird"
    • harass or persecute (someone) with unwanted and obsessive attention."for five years she was stalked by a man who would taunt and threaten her"
    • literarymove silently or threateningly through (a place)."the tiger stalks the jungle"
  2. 2. stride somewhere in a proud, stiff, or angry manner."without another word she turned and stalked out"

Might as well give you all the info, before you try to hack into my computer to find out who I am.

My name is Karel. I am one of 3 brothers. I am a professional photographer and I own an arsenal of cameras just for fun, because I just happen to love photography and technology. X-E1, NEX-6, NEX-7, 70D (my favorite camera of all time for video, sorry for misinterpretating), Nikon D600, among them.

My two other brothers, are not pro's and one of them owns an RX100M2 and the other owns a GX7 (which I bought for his b-day). Nontheless, they are always borrowing my cameras and using them.

The three of us, post here using MY same screenname (kcamacho11). My youngest brother lives with me, and he is usually the one posting, not me.

Are you happy?

I was told, by you, that you sold your XE1 because of poor low-light performance. You failed to answer why you purchased another XE1. Was that you or one of your brothers?

 JimMc's gear list:JimMc's gear list
Canon G1 X II
OP kcamacho11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,529
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

JimMc wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

I have both an X-E1 and a NEX-6 (purchased the NEX-6 for HD video and tilt screen).

I have both cameras with their kit lenses (18-55 and 16-50). The concern I have is that when I zoom in a bit (not even 100%), I am seeing more detail in the NEX-6 images compared to my X-E1. I find this odd as both cameras are 16MP with excellent sensors.

For example, I took a picture of my dog with each camera, at very similar focal length and same aperture (F5.6), ISO200....yet when viewing it in my Macbook Pro, when I zoom in to see the detail of my dog's face, like the eyes, nose, etc. the NEX-6 photo just looks sharper to me.

Both were jpeg's, straight out of the camera, no post-processing...and I have each camera's sharpness setting at +1.

The X-E1 photo looks great when viewing in its regular size, but its when I zoom in where I see some differences every now and then. Not only in this photo of my dog, but in others as well.

What could be the issue here? Does the X-Trans sensor suffer from a bit of lack of detail?

Let's see...

Here you say you have an X-E1 and a Nex6.

Four days ago you wrote (in m4/3 forum) about your Panasonic GX7 (a new camera model) and your Canon 70D.

Then 2 days ago you wrote that you received your Canon 70D that morning, your favorite DSLR ever.

Then 1 day ago you wrote that you own a Nex7, your "favorite camera of all time."

Then 1 hour ago you wrote that your RX100M2 is your favorite camera -- you dumped all your DSLR gear for it.

Now you write that you have an X-E1 and Nex6, and have concerns about the detail of the Fuji.

Well I have a 2015 American Motors Pacer that I'm having difficulties with...

Come on...

stalkstôk/verbgerund or present participle: stalking

  1. 1. pursue or approach stealthily."a cat stalking a bird"
    • harass or persecute (someone) with unwanted and obsessive attention."for five years she was stalked by a man who would taunt and threaten her"
    • literarymove silently or threateningly through (a place)."the tiger stalks the jungle"
  2. 2. stride somewhere in a proud, stiff, or angry manner."without another word she turned and stalked out"

Might as well give you all the info, before you try to hack into my computer to find out who I am.

My name is Karel. I am one of 3 brothers. I am a professional photographer and I own an arsenal of cameras just for fun, because I just happen to love photography and technology. X-E1, NEX-6, NEX-7, 70D (my favorite camera of all time for video, sorry for misinterpretating), Nikon D600, among them.

My two other brothers, are not pro's and one of them owns an RX100M2 and the other owns a GX7 (which I bought for his b-day). Nontheless, they are always borrowing my cameras and using them.

The three of us, post here using MY same screenname (kcamacho11). My youngest brother lives with me, and he is usually the one posting, not me.

Are you happy?

I was told, by you, that you sold your XE1 because of poor low-light performance. You failed to answer why you purchased another XE1. Was that you or one of your brothers?

When did I tell you this? No, I do not recall telling you anything at all...and to be honest, I am not even familiar with your screen name.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 20,826
sample please.
2

Please post your side by side shot with the EX1 & Nex6.

kcamacho11 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Don't know the OP at all, but yes reputation matters. When you have posters claiming to own ALL of the latest cameras (NEX6, XE1, GX7, 70D, RX100 II) and then you see their user gallery with zero images from any of those cameras, it raises questions about credibility and frankly, about trolling.

What do you care if I have photos in my gallery or not? ...And I not not own a GX7 or a RX100II.

I do not need to show YOU any pictures from any of my cameras just to prove to you that I have them. That is of MY concern.

. And the fact that the OP seems so concerned with pixel peeping images at 100% calls into question their priorities and whether they are interested in actual photography or are more concerned with gear head forum bragging rights.

1- When did I say I was comparing photos at 100%? If you read clearly, I said "just by zooming in a bit". And YES, I own both an X-E1 and NEX-6, and I DO see differences in sharpness and detail in certain shots at times. I do not care what any other website says or what someone from YouTube says. I have compared them and seen it myself.

2-Who am I bragging to? Have you seen any posts of me bragging about all the cameras I own or how I take such great photos with them? I guess not, if "I don't have any photos in my gallery" right?

3-What YOU need to prioritize, is your own life and your own gear. Does me asking questions about comparisons of cameras I own concern you at all? Does the fact of me owning over 6 different cameras impact your life? All I did was ask a simple question to see if someone was experiencing the same thing.

And no, reputation does not matter. This is a freaking internet photography message board. There are more important things to life than coming here for "bragging rights".

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
JimMc Senior Member • Posts: 2,882
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail
1

kcamacho11 wrote:

JimMc wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

I have both an X-E1 and a NEX-6 (purchased the NEX-6 for HD video and tilt screen).

I have both cameras with their kit lenses (18-55 and 16-50). The concern I have is that when I zoom in a bit (not even 100%), I am seeing more detail in the NEX-6 images compared to my X-E1. I find this odd as both cameras are 16MP with excellent sensors.

For example, I took a picture of my dog with each camera, at very similar focal length and same aperture (F5.6), ISO200....yet when viewing it in my Macbook Pro, when I zoom in to see the detail of my dog's face, like the eyes, nose, etc. the NEX-6 photo just looks sharper to me.

Both were jpeg's, straight out of the camera, no post-processing...and I have each camera's sharpness setting at +1.

The X-E1 photo looks great when viewing in its regular size, but its when I zoom in where I see some differences every now and then. Not only in this photo of my dog, but in others as well.

What could be the issue here? Does the X-Trans sensor suffer from a bit of lack of detail?

Let's see...

Here you say you have an X-E1 and a Nex6.

Four days ago you wrote (in m4/3 forum) about your Panasonic GX7 (a new camera model) and your Canon 70D.

Then 2 days ago you wrote that you received your Canon 70D that morning, your favorite DSLR ever.

Then 1 day ago you wrote that you own a Nex7, your "favorite camera of all time."

Then 1 hour ago you wrote that your RX100M2 is your favorite camera -- you dumped all your DSLR gear for it.

Now you write that you have an X-E1 and Nex6, and have concerns about the detail of the Fuji.

Well I have a 2015 American Motors Pacer that I'm having difficulties with...

Come on...

stalkstôk/verbgerund or present participle: stalking

  1. 1. pursue or approach stealthily."a cat stalking a bird"
    • harass or persecute (someone) with unwanted and obsessive attention."for five years she was stalked by a man who would taunt and threaten her"
    • literarymove silently or threateningly through (a place)."the tiger stalks the jungle"
  2. 2. stride somewhere in a proud, stiff, or angry manner."without another word she turned and stalked out"

Might as well give you all the info, before you try to hack into my computer to find out who I am.

My name is Karel. I am one of 3 brothers. I am a professional photographer and I own an arsenal of cameras just for fun, because I just happen to love photography and technology. X-E1, NEX-6, NEX-7, 70D (my favorite camera of all time for video, sorry for misinterpretating), Nikon D600, among them.

My two other brothers, are not pro's and one of them owns an RX100M2 and the other owns a GX7 (which I bought for his b-day). Nontheless, they are always borrowing my cameras and using them.

The three of us, post here using MY same screenname (kcamacho11). My youngest brother lives with me, and he is usually the one posting, not me.

Are you happy?

I was told, by you, that you sold your XE1 because of poor low-light performance. You failed to answer why you purchased another XE1. Was that you or one of your brothers?

When did I tell you this? No, I do not recall telling you anything at all...and to be honest, I am not even familiar with your screen name.

It was a private message. I still have it.

 JimMc's gear list:JimMc's gear list
Canon G1 X II
Asylum Photo
Asylum Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,277
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

DMillier wrote:

Seems a perfectly reasonable question to me, not sure why you are dismissing it. The cameras use the same sensor, the detail should be the same. If they are not, then there has to be a reason.

The question the OP is asking is: is the reason the xtrans CFA?

If it is the reason, then clearly the xtrans approach is not doing what it is advertised as doing, producing crisper, sharper pictures by allowing the safe omission of the AA filter. And if this is the case, Fuji would better serve their customers by using conventional Bayer array (or solving the problem). I don't think this is an issue to dismiss. .

If on the other hand, it is not the CFA but something else, workflow, shutter slap, mis-focusing or whatever, then the OP would probably appreciate being guided to a solution.

The reason is the processing. Many here, including myself, have shown that the X-Trans sensor produces a great amount of detail when processed using certain methods. But if you aren't using that work flow, and the NEX line of cameras produces more details for you, then by all means use the NEX line. The beauty is that we have choices.

Does the X-Trans produce more detail than bayer? Nope. Why would it? It's the same resolution. The only advantage the X-Trans has is that it's CFA allows for a lack of AA *and* minimal moire patterns. Take the AA off of a regular 16mp bayer, and it'll likely produce the same detail (under optimal processing) as the X-Trans, but might show a little more moire under certain conditions.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Powerdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,430
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

Default sharpening.

According to many reviews and tests, the X trans has more resolving power than a classical 16 mp sensor with AA filter

That's said each camera employ a different level of sharpening.

Thus - 1 on a camera does not equal to - 1 with an another camera (of course with the same lens)

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

 Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm X-T1 +30 more
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,514
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail
3

kcamacho11 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Don't know the OP at all, but yes reputation matters. When you have posters claiming to own ALL of the latest cameras (NEX6, XE1, GX7, 70D, RX100 II) and then you see their user gallery with zero images from any of those cameras, it raises questions about credibility and frankly, about trolling.

What do you care if I have photos in my gallery or not? ...And I not not own a GX7 or a RX100II.

I do not need to show YOU any pictures from any of my cameras just to prove to you that I have them. That is of MY concern.

. And the fact that the OP seems so concerned with pixel peeping images at 100% calls into question their priorities and whether they are interested in actual photography or are more concerned with gear head forum bragging rights.

1- When did I say I was comparing photos at 100%? If you read clearly, I said "just by zooming in a bit". And YES, I own both an X-E1 and NEX-6, and I DO see differences in sharpness and detail in certain shots at times. I do not care what any other website says or what someone from YouTube says. I have compared them and seen it myself.

2-Who am I bragging to? Have you seen any posts of me bragging about all the cameras I own or how I take such great photos with them? I guess not, if "I don't have any photos in my gallery" right?

3-What YOU need to prioritize, is your own life and your own gear. Does me asking questions about comparisons of cameras I own concern you at all? Does the fact of me owning over 6 different cameras impact your life? All I did was ask a simple question to see if someone was experiencing the same thing.

And no, reputation does not matter. This is a freaking internet photography message board. There are more important things to life than coming here for "bragging rights".

Civil presence matters, as does protocol in such a forum. You began the thread by mentioning two specific photos. I have requested that you post them, which is simple, so that we can see the difference that led you to open the thread.  This is standard practice in these forums...  If you mention a specific comparison, you demonstrate the comparison.  Otherwise it is just talk.  If you had been genuinely interested in having others consider the difference you discuss, you would have posted the photos so that they had something to consider.  Or at least you would have posted them after I expressed an interest in seeing what you were talking about.  You have bounced around these forums enough to know that this is a common request.  The fact that you give us nothing speaks for itself.

 bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,514
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

tinpusher wrote:

H Smith wrote:

In my experience, the X 100s or the other X-Trans cameras have significantly more detail in their images than even the X100. You just have to process them with the right software (I use Capture 1).

I think you're right about fabulous detail (and noise handling) but the converters that I use Silkypix and LR 5 don't do the files justice.

So far nobody seems to be able to cope with the X Trans's vivid Greens and until they do I won't look at an X Trans sensor again.

There are two excellent programs that "cope with" the greens just fine: Capture One and Photo Ninja. Others have noted that their greens are just fine with recent versions of Lightroom.

So, we have a lot of choice.  Your choice is not to use X Trans.  So I assume you have moved on from Fuji.  Some of us have chosen to adapt our workflow in a way that maximizes results from Xtrans.

I wish Iridient produced a version for a Windows PC.

 bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
OP kcamacho11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,529
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

bowportes wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Don't know the OP at all, but yes reputation matters. When you have posters claiming to own ALL of the latest cameras (NEX6, XE1, GX7, 70D, RX100 II) and then you see their user gallery with zero images from any of those cameras, it raises questions about credibility and frankly, about trolling.

What do you care if I have photos in my gallery or not? ...And I not not own a GX7 or a RX100II.

I do not need to show YOU any pictures from any of my cameras just to prove to you that I have them. That is of MY concern.

. And the fact that the OP seems so concerned with pixel peeping images at 100% calls into question their priorities and whether they are interested in actual photography or are more concerned with gear head forum bragging rights.

1- When did I say I was comparing photos at 100%? If you read clearly, I said "just by zooming in a bit". And YES, I own both an X-E1 and NEX-6, and I DO see differences in sharpness and detail in certain shots at times. I do not care what any other website says or what someone from YouTube says. I have compared them and seen it myself.

2-Who am I bragging to? Have you seen any posts of me bragging about all the cameras I own or how I take such great photos with them? I guess not, if "I don't have any photos in my gallery" right?

3-What YOU need to prioritize, is your own life and your own gear. Does me asking questions about comparisons of cameras I own concern you at all? Does the fact of me owning over 6 different cameras impact your life? All I did was ask a simple question to see if someone was experiencing the same thing.

And no, reputation does not matter. This is a freaking internet photography message board. There are more important things to life than coming here for "bragging rights".

Civil presence matters, as does protocol in such a forum. You began the thread by mentioning two specific photos. I have requested that you post them, which is simple, so that we can see the difference that led you to open the thread. This is standard practice in these forums... If you mention a specific comparison, you demonstrate the comparison. Otherwise it is just talk. If you had been genuinely interested in having others consider the difference you discuss, you would have posted the photos so that they had something to consider. Or at least you would have posted them after I expressed an interest in seeing what you were talking about. You have bounced around these forums enough to know that this is a common request. The fact that you give us nothing speaks for itself.

That's nice and all but I simply do not care about your response, it wasn't even intended towards you.

If you have a problem with what I say around here, then please do yourself a favor (me as well) and just do not respond.

OP kcamacho11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,529
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

JimMc wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

JimMc wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

I have both an X-E1 and a NEX-6 (purchased the NEX-6 for HD video and tilt screen).

I have both cameras with their kit lenses (18-55 and 16-50). The concern I have is that when I zoom in a bit (not even 100%), I am seeing more detail in the NEX-6 images compared to my X-E1. I find this odd as both cameras are 16MP with excellent sensors.

For example, I took a picture of my dog with each camera, at very similar focal length and same aperture (F5.6), ISO200....yet when viewing it in my Macbook Pro, when I zoom in to see the detail of my dog's face, like the eyes, nose, etc. the NEX-6 photo just looks sharper to me.

Both were jpeg's, straight out of the camera, no post-processing...and I have each camera's sharpness setting at +1.

The X-E1 photo looks great when viewing in its regular size, but its when I zoom in where I see some differences every now and then. Not only in this photo of my dog, but in others as well.

What could be the issue here? Does the X-Trans sensor suffer from a bit of lack of detail?

Let's see...

Here you say you have an X-E1 and a Nex6.

Four days ago you wrote (in m4/3 forum) about your Panasonic GX7 (a new camera model) and your Canon 70D.

Then 2 days ago you wrote that you received your Canon 70D that morning, your favorite DSLR ever.

Then 1 day ago you wrote that you own a Nex7, your "favorite camera of all time."

Then 1 hour ago you wrote that your RX100M2 is your favorite camera -- you dumped all your DSLR gear for it.

Now you write that you have an X-E1 and Nex6, and have concerns about the detail of the Fuji.

Well I have a 2015 American Motors Pacer that I'm having difficulties with...

Come on...

stalkstôk/verbgerund or present participle: stalking

  1. 1. pursue or approach stealthily."a cat stalking a bird"
    • harass or persecute (someone) with unwanted and obsessive attention."for five years she was stalked by a man who would taunt and threaten her"
    • literarymove silently or threateningly through (a place)."the tiger stalks the jungle"
  2. 2. stride somewhere in a proud, stiff, or angry manner."without another word she turned and stalked out"

Might as well give you all the info, before you try to hack into my computer to find out who I am.

My name is Karel. I am one of 3 brothers. I am a professional photographer and I own an arsenal of cameras just for fun, because I just happen to love photography and technology. X-E1, NEX-6, NEX-7, 70D (my favorite camera of all time for video, sorry for misinterpretating), Nikon D600, among them.

My two other brothers, are not pro's and one of them owns an RX100M2 and the other owns a GX7 (which I bought for his b-day). Nontheless, they are always borrowing my cameras and using them.

The three of us, post here using MY same screenname (kcamacho11). My youngest brother lives with me, and he is usually the one posting, not me.

Are you happy?

I was told, by you, that you sold your XE1 because of poor low-light performance. You failed to answer why you purchased another XE1. Was that you or one of your brothers?

When did I tell you this? No, I do not recall telling you anything at all...and to be honest, I am not even familiar with your screen name.

It was a private message. I still have it.

Ok?.....that's nice. What is your infatuation with this whole thing?

Clearly, it wasn't me that answered your private message.

bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,514
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

kcamacho11 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Don't know the OP at all, but yes reputation matters. When you have posters claiming to own ALL of the latest cameras (NEX6, XE1, GX7, 70D, RX100 II) and then you see their user gallery with zero images from any of those cameras, it raises questions about credibility and frankly, about trolling.

What do you care if I have photos in my gallery or not? ...And I not not own a GX7 or a RX100II.

I do not need to show YOU any pictures from any of my cameras just to prove to you that I have them. That is of MY concern.

. And the fact that the OP seems so concerned with pixel peeping images at 100% calls into question their priorities and whether they are interested in actual photography or are more concerned with gear head forum bragging rights.

1- When did I say I was comparing photos at 100%? If you read clearly, I said "just by zooming in a bit". And YES, I own both an X-E1 and NEX-6, and I DO see differences in sharpness and detail in certain shots at times. I do not care what any other website says or what someone from YouTube says. I have compared them and seen it myself.

2-Who am I bragging to? Have you seen any posts of me bragging about all the cameras I own or how I take such great photos with them? I guess not, if "I don't have any photos in my gallery" right?

3-What YOU need to prioritize, is your own life and your own gear. Does me asking questions about comparisons of cameras I own concern you at all? Does the fact of me owning over 6 different cameras impact your life? All I did was ask a simple question to see if someone was experiencing the same thing.

And no, reputation does not matter. This is a freaking internet photography message board. There are more important things to life than coming here for "bragging rights".

Civil presence matters, as does protocol in such a forum. You began the thread by mentioning two specific photos. I have requested that you post them, which is simple, so that we can see the difference that led you to open the thread. This is standard practice in these forums... If you mention a specific comparison, you demonstrate the comparison. Otherwise it is just talk. If you had been genuinely interested in having others consider the difference you discuss, you would have posted the photos so that they had something to consider. Or at least you would have posted them after I expressed an interest in seeing what you were talking about. You have bounced around these forums enough to know that this is a common request. The fact that you give us nothing speaks for itself.

That's nice and all but I simply do not care about your response, it wasn't even intended towards you.

Oh... I thought you posted on a public blog. I thought you had an issue with a comparison that you wanted the public to respond to. Apparently not. I wonder whether the photos ever existed. Your responses (or lack thereof) should cause everyone to wonder.  I don't generally block people, but you have earned it.

 bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 20,459
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

You better bury my reputation then because there are shots on my website from my E10, D100, 14n, 5D, 350D, 450D, S5pro, NEX 3, NEX 5n, K5, A200, SD9, SD14 but not one from my X10 or XE1.  But that's not because I haven't got those cameras, simply that I have not updated my galleries since I had the cameras.

-- hide signature --
Ross Kennedy Regular Member • Posts: 300
Post the samples
1

This thread is pointless without examples.

Leandros S Senior Member • Posts: 1,972
The real question is...
4

kcamacho11 wrote:

Both were jpeg's, straight out of the camera, no post-processing...and I have each camera's sharpness setting at +1.

What makes you think that +1 works the same in both cameras?

-- hide signature --

Picturesque locations and other people's art are easy.

jettloe New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

"This thread remains in the realm of rumor and speculation until we see the two comparable dog images mentioned in the original post."

This is my favorite comment on the Internet this week.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 20,826
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

I asked for the samples to which you refer so I can assist.  Is there a reason why you are ignoring the request?

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 20,826
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

kcamacho11 wrote:

JimMc wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

JimMc wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

I have both an X-E1 and a NEX-6 (purchased the NEX-6 for HD video and tilt screen).

I have both cameras with their kit lenses (18-55 and 16-50). The concern I have is that when I zoom in a bit (not even 100%), I am seeing more detail in the NEX-6 images compared to my X-E1. I find this odd as both cameras are 16MP with excellent sensors.

For example, I took a picture of my dog with each camera, at very similar focal length and same aperture (F5.6), ISO200....yet when viewing it in my Macbook Pro, when I zoom in to see the detail of my dog's face, like the eyes, nose, etc. the NEX-6 photo just looks sharper to me.

Both were jpeg's, straight out of the camera, no post-processing...and I have each camera's sharpness setting at +1.

The X-E1 photo looks great when viewing in its regular size, but its when I zoom in where I see some differences every now and then. Not only in this photo of my dog, but in others as well.

What could be the issue here? Does the X-Trans sensor suffer from a bit of lack of detail?

Let's see...

Here you say you have an X-E1 and a Nex6.

Four days ago you wrote (in m4/3 forum) about your Panasonic GX7 (a new camera model) and your Canon 70D.

Then 2 days ago you wrote that you received your Canon 70D that morning, your favorite DSLR ever.

Then 1 day ago you wrote that you own a Nex7, your "favorite camera of all time."

Then 1 hour ago you wrote that your RX100M2 is your favorite camera -- you dumped all your DSLR gear for it.

Now you write that you have an X-E1 and Nex6, and have concerns about the detail of the Fuji.

Well I have a 2015 American Motors Pacer that I'm having difficulties with...

Come on...

stalkstôk/verbgerund or present participle: stalking

  1. 1. pursue or approach stealthily."a cat stalking a bird"
    • harass or persecute (someone) with unwanted and obsessive attention."for five years she was stalked by a man who would taunt and threaten her"
    • literarymove silently or threateningly through (a place)."the tiger stalks the jungle"
  2. 2. stride somewhere in a proud, stiff, or angry manner."without another word she turned and stalked out"

Might as well give you all the info, before you try to hack into my computer to find out who I am.

My name is Karel. I am one of 3 brothers. I am a professional photographer and I own an arsenal of cameras just for fun, because I just happen to love photography and technology. X-E1, NEX-6, NEX-7, 70D (my favorite camera of all time for video, sorry for misinterpretating), Nikon D600, among them.

My two other brothers, are not pro's and one of them owns an RX100M2 and the other owns a GX7 (which I bought for his b-day). Nontheless, they are always borrowing my cameras and using them.

The three of us, post here using MY same screenname (kcamacho11). My youngest brother lives with me, and he is usually the one posting, not me.

Are you happy?

I was told, by you, that you sold your XE1 because of poor low-light performance. You failed to answer why you purchased another XE1. Was that you or one of your brothers?

When did I tell you this? No, I do not recall telling you anything at all...and to be honest, I am not even familiar with your screen name.

It was a private message. I still have it.

Ok?.....that's nice. What is your infatuation with this whole thing?

Clearly, it wasn't me that answered your private message.

Are you saying other people now have access to your profile?

 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +16 more
Randy Benter
Randy Benter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

kcamacho11 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

Civil presence matters, as does protocol in such a forum...

That's nice and all but I simply do not care about your response, it wasn't even intended towards you.

If your question was intended for a specific individual, then you should have sent that person a PM. By posting it in the forum, you are open to responses from ALL members.

If you have a problem with what I say around here, then please do yourself a favor (me as well) and just do not respond.

I can't imagine why you have received so few helpful responses to your inquiry. Perhaps if you insult more people, they will be more willing to help. It seems to be working great for you so far.

You might think your reputation here doesn't matter, but clearly it does. When polite forum members ask for assistance they get polite responses.

 Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Apple Aperture Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
RhysM Senior Member • Posts: 2,212
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail
3

I have tired to respond to this thread and deleted/re-written my post 3 times, trying to be rational and polite but each time i am nearly done i simply cannot help coming to the conclusion that the only appropriate response is as follows:

Everything the OP has written in this thread and recent posts is complete and utter BS.

No doubt he'll have some long, convoluted and utterly "logical" response to this! However, fortunately for those with an allergy to said BS, it appears it's past his bedtime.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads