Question About X-Trans Detail

Started Oct 18, 2013 | Discussions
kcamacho11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,529
Question About X-Trans Detail

I have both an X-E1 and a NEX-6 (purchased the NEX-6 for HD video and tilt screen).

I have both cameras with their kit lenses (18-55 and 16-50). The concern I have is that when I zoom in a bit (not even 100%), I am seeing more detail in the NEX-6 images compared to my X-E1. I find this odd as both cameras are 16MP with excellent sensors.

For example, I took a picture of my dog with each camera, at very similar focal length and same aperture (F5.6), ISO200....yet when viewing it in my Macbook Pro, when I zoom in to see the detail of my dog's face, like the eyes, nose, etc. the NEX-6 photo just looks sharper to me.

Both were jpeg's, straight out of the camera, no post-processing...and I have each camera's sharpness setting at +1.

The X-E1 photo looks great when viewing in its regular size, but its when I zoom in where I see some differences every now and then. Not only in this photo of my dog, but in others as well.

What could be the issue here? Does the X-Trans sensor suffer from a bit of lack of detail?

Asylum Photo
Asylum Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,277
Re: Question About X-Trans Detail

If you notice a lack of detail for your work flow, then that answers your question, doesn't it?

I use LR and there's a lack of detail in some scenes... those scenes I use Iridient, and the detail is outstanding.

Also, lowering NR for JPEGs helps out.

But again, it's all about your work flow. If you prefer to keep NR settings stock, or shoot in a certain fashion and the detail is less than the NEX, then for your purposes, the NEX outputs more detail, and that's all that really matters.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
OP kcamacho11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,529

Asylum Photo wrote:

If you notice a lack of detail for your work flow, then that answers your question, doesn't it?

I use LR and there's a lack of detail in some scenes... those scenes I use Iridient, and the detail is outstanding.

But again, it's all about your work flow. If you prefer to keep NR settings stock, or shoot in a certain fashion and the detail is less than the NEX, then for your purposes, the NEX outputs more detail, and that's all that really matters.

My NR setting is set to LOW on both cameras.

I guess what I mean is that when I zoom in a bit, I tend to see more smudging in the X-E1 photo, while the NEX-6 retains more detail and sharpness.

xeriwthe Regular Member • Posts: 486

kcamacho11 wrote:

I have both an X-E1 and a NEX-6 (purchased the NEX-6 for HD video and tilt screen).

I have both cameras with their kit lenses (18-55 and 16-50). The concern I have is that when I zoom in a bit (not even 100%), I am seeing more detail in the NEX-6 images compared to my X-E1. I find this odd as both cameras are 16MP with excellent sensors.

For example, I took a picture of my dog with each camera, at very similar focal length and same aperture (F5.6), ISO200....yet when viewing it in my Macbook Pro, when I zoom in to see the detail of my dog's face, like the eyes, nose, etc. the NEX-6 photo just looks sharper to me.

Both were jpeg's, straight out of the camera, no post-processing...and I have each camera's sharpness setting at +1.

The X-E1 photo looks great when viewing in its regular size, but its when I zoom in where I see some differences every now and then. Not only in this photo of my dog, but in others as well.

What could be the issue here? Does the X-Trans sensor suffer from a bit of lack of detail?

since you're comparing JPEG, i'll give you my quick summary of what i've learned about relative detail levels between bayer and x-trans:

- generally, cameras with bayer sensors like your NEX-6 will output JPEGs with higher sharpening levels than x-trans cameras, with a concomitant increase in sharpening artifacts.  if you look at sharp transitions you might see a bit more haloing around edges

- the x-trans images may appear a bit smudged in fine details, especially if you use default NR settings.  at low ISO, things will generally just look softer than the Bayer camera.

in my own work flow, using JPEG from x-trans sensor, i set sharpening to soft (-2), NR to -2 or -1, and then sharpen in lightroom with a large radius.  it takes some time to tweak things to my liking, but i really enjoy the appearance of the images.

to give you my (probably biased) opinion on the x-trans vs bayer debate: if the user knows what he/she is doing, one can produce very sharp, very clean, smoothly detailed images, that have a different sort of look than the standard consumer-sharpened bayer image.  it's not always better, but it's a unique and pleasing appearance

xeriwthe wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

since you're comparing JPEG, i'll give you my quick summary of what i've learned about relative detail levels between bayer and x-trans:

- generally, cameras with bayer sensors like your NEX-6 will output JPEGs with higher sharpening levels than x-trans cameras, with a concomitant increase in sharpening artifacts. if you look at sharp transitions you might see a bit more haloing around edges

- the x-trans images may appear a bit smudged in fine details, especially if you use default NR settings. at low ISO, things will generally just look softer than the Bayer camera.

in my own work flow, using JPEG from x-trans sensor, i set sharpening to soft (-2), NR to -2 or -1, and then sharpen in lightroom with a large radius. it takes some time to tweak things to my liking, but i really enjoy the appearance of the images.

to give you my (probably biased) opinion on the x-trans vs bayer debate: if the user knows what he/she is doing, one can produce very sharp, very clean, smoothly detailed images, that have a different sort of look than the standard consumer-sharpened bayer image. it's not always better, but it's a unique and pleasing appearance

Thank you so much for your explanation.

To be honest, I only shoot Jpeg and I hate post-processing. I only PP when I absolutely have to. So I will leave the settings as is. I just had this doubt, because in certain similar of similar subjects/scenes, I was seeing a whole lot of difference between both cameras. For a second, I thought something was wrong with my X-E1 because the NEX-6 photos looked much sharper and detailed.

Thanks again!

bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,490

kcamacho11 wrote:

Let's see...

Here you say you have an X-E1 and a Nex6.

Four days ago you wrote (in m4/3 forum) about your Panasonic GX7 (a new camera model) and your Canon 70D.

Then 2 days ago you wrote that you received your Canon 70D that morning, your favorite DSLR ever.

Then 1 day ago you wrote that you own a Nex7, your "favorite camera of all time."

Then 1 hour ago you wrote that your RX100M2 is your favorite camera -- you dumped all your DSLR gear for it.

Now you write that you have an X-E1 and Nex6, and have concerns about the detail of the Fuji.

Well I have a 2015 American Motors Pacer that I'm having difficulties with...

Come on...

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more

bowportes wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

Let's see...

Four days ago you wrote (in m4/3 forum) about your Panasonic GX7 (a new camera model) and your Canon 70D.

Then 2 days ago you wrote that you received your Canon 70D that morning, your favorite DSLR ever.

Then 1 day ago you wrote that you own a Nex7, your "favorite camera of all time."

Then 1 hour ago you wrote that your RX100M2 is your favorite camera -- you dumped all your DSLR gear for it.

Now you write that you have an X-E1 and Nex6, and have concerns about the detail of the Fuji.

Come on...

stalkstôk/verbgerund or present participle: stalking

1. 1. pursue or approach stealthily."a cat stalking a bird"
    • harass or persecute (someone) with unwanted and obsessive attention."for five years she was stalked by a man who would taunt and threaten her"
    • literarymove silently or threateningly through (a place)."the tiger stalks the jungle"
  2. 2. stride somewhere in a proud, stiff, or angry manner."without another word she turned and stalked out"

Might as well give you all the info, before you try to hack into my computer to find out who I am.

My name is Karel. I am one of 3 brothers. I am a professional photographer and I own an arsenal of cameras just for fun, because I just happen to love photography and technology. X-E1, NEX-6, NEX-7, 70D (my favorite camera of all time for video, sorry for misinterpretating), Nikon D600, among them.

My two other brothers, are not pro's and one of them owns an RX100M2 and the other owns a GX7 (which I bought for his b-day). Nontheless, they are always borrowing my cameras and using them.

The three of us, post here using MY same screenname (kcamacho11). My youngest brother lives with me, and he is usually the one posting, not me.

Are you happy?

kcamacho11 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

Let's see...

Come on...

• harass or persecute (someone) with unwanted and obsessive attention."for five years she was stalked by a man who would taunt and threaten her"
    • literarymove silently or threateningly through (a place)."the tiger stalks the jungle"
  2. 2. stride somewhere in a proud, stiff, or angry manner."without another word she turned and stalked out"

Might as well give you all the info, before you try to hack into my computer to find out who I am.

My name is Karel. I am one of 3 brothers. I am a professional photographer and I own an arsenal of cameras just for fun, because I just happen to love photography and technology. X-E1, NEX-6, NEX-7, 70D (my favorite camera of all time for video, sorry for misinterpretating), Nikon D600, among them.

My two other brothers, are not pro's and one of them owns an RX100M2 and the other owns a GX7 (which I bought for his b-day). Nontheless, they are always borrowing my cameras and using them.

The three of us, post here using MY same screenname (kcamacho11). My youngest brother lives with me, and he is usually the one posting, not me.

Are you happy?

it's easy enough to use different screen names if what you say is true.  I did the logical thing, which was to look at your gallery to see whether you had any examples. It revealed 0 images and the string of posts just mentioned... It required no stalking, simply a click on your name.

my suggestion would be that you upload images to display the difference when you begin a thread such as this. Some of us are actually interested, and would like to examine the problem you identify. When I clicked on your name to see that string of posts, it was only logical to reach the conclusion I did.

No malice. Thanks for clarifying. Why don't you post a comparison so we can see the issue you describe? It would be helpful.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more

it's easy enough to use different screen names if what you say is true. I did the logical thing, which was to look at your gallery to see whether you had any examples. It revealed 0 images and the string of posts just mentioned... It required no stalking, simply a click on your name.

my suggestion would be that you upload images to display the difference when you begin a thread such as this. Some of us are actually interested, and would like to examine the problem you identify. When I clicked on your name to see that string of posts, it was only logical to reach the conclusion I did.

No malice. Thanks for clarifying. Why don't you post a comparison so we can see the issue you describe? It would be helpful.

Well my brothers are lazy in a sense, and I always leave myself logged in at Dpreview so they just use my screen name.

Randy Benter
Randy Benter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196

kcamacho11 wrote:

bowportes wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

Let's see...

Come on...

bowportes was not stalking. He simply noticed the obvious inconsistencies in your posts.

Are you happy?

It would cause less confusion if your brothers created their own accounts. When we read posts with your account today, we have no idea if they are written by a pro or an amateur; a Fuji fan or a Sony fan. Regular posters build a forum reputation based on their post history. Your reputation is currently based on the inconsistencies of your posts. As you are a pro, you might have something to offer the forum, but how are we supposed to know if it is you who is posting? Feel free to continue if you wish, but don't get defensive when people point out the obvious.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Apple Aperture Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
Asylum Photo
Asylum Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,277

kcamacho11 wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

I guess what I mean is that when I zoom in a bit, I tend to see more smudging in the X-E1 photo, while the NEX-6 retains more detail and sharpness.

Then it sounds like the NEX-6 suits your needs better, doesn't it? Not really sure what you're looking to gain here... Some cameras work better for some folks than others *shrugs*

Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 20,143

Seems a perfectly reasonable question to me, not sure why you are dismissing it. The cameras use the same sensor, the detail should be the same. If they are not, then there has to be a reason.

The question the OP is asking is: is the reason the xtrans CFA?

If it is the reason, then clearly the xtrans approach is not doing what it is advertised as doing, producing crisper, sharper pictures by allowing the safe omission of the AA filter. And if this is the case, Fuji would better serve their customers by using conventional Bayer array (or solving the problem). I don't think this is an issue to dismiss. .

If on the other hand, it is not the CFA but something else, workflow, shutter slap, mis-focusing or whatever, then the OP would probably appreciate being guided to a solution.

-- hide signature --

I appreciate your dislike of editing images but I feel it's worth saying you are missing out.

The ability to easily and quickly edit and image in a way that in film days would have taken a highly skilled worker hours to do is IMO the single biggest advantage of digital.  Now everyone has the opportunity to produce images to better than yesterday's professional standards with the minimum of skill and effort.  Almost every great image in the history of photography has a certain amount of editing. It's very rare to produce a great shot by pointing and clicking.

Not everyone wants to spend hours at the computer but most photographer's output would be hugely improved by:

1. Deleting 99% of their images

2. Spending 60 secs of editing time per image tightening up the remaining 1%.

This is what makes the difference between an admired photographer and a snapshotter.

-- hide signature --

Does any of this "reputation" thing matter, like you suggest?  The poster (whichever one) asked a simple question that ought to stand in isolation.

It seems a valid question, why not just answer it rather then dreaming up ad hom excuses for not doing so? Switching the point of attack to the poster seems like defensiveness and invites suspicion that the old hands know something bad about xtrans they are hiding. Probably the opposite effect than you intend by silencing the questioner.

I'm interested (slightly, not that much really, because I bought my XE1 for the user interface, not xtrans). I assumed its output would be more or less the same as every other 16MP sony sensor because they all generally are. I may get concerned in future if it turns out Xtrans is inherently flawed.  I could compare my 5n and K5 16MP sensors but unless it becomes obvious using the XE1 that there is a major problem, i won't bother. But I'd still be interested in seeing someone else's results and the answers to this question.

It's also important given the way Fuji market Xtrans as better.  No benefits, I can accept with no qualms, but promising the best and delivering something worse would be irritating to say the least.

-- hide signature --
phoozy Junior Member • Posts: 40

I know what you mean. That´s the reason why I sold my x-e1 and stuck to the x100.
Having owned several cameras (also the hex 5r) I really am a bit dissapointed with the x-trans.
The x100 has less noise/grain up to iso 3200 and much more detail at a 100percent view.

phoozy's gear list:phoozy's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +2 more
H Smith
H Smith Senior Member • Posts: 1,404

In my experience, the X 100s or the other X-Trans  cameras have significantly more detail in their images than even the X100. You just have to process them with the right software (I use Capture 1).

Henry F. Smith Jr
Visit my blog at http://henrysmithscottage.com

H Smith's gear list:H Smith's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Bill Robb Senior Member • Posts: 3,332

kcamacho11 wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

What you are seeing is different levels of sharpening/ noise reduction from each camera. Sony's base line isn't the same as Fuji's, so there is no equivalency between the settings. You can probably make the images look very similar by fiddling with sharpness and NR settings on one or the other until you get what you want.

DMillier wrote:

Does any of this "reputation" thing matter, like you suggest? The poster (whichever one) asked a simple question that ought to stand in isolation.

It seems a valid question, why not just answer it rather then dreaming up ad hom excuses for not doing so? Switching the point of attack to the poster seems like defensiveness and invites suspicion that the old hands know something bad about xtrans they are hiding. Probably the opposite effect than you intend by silencing the questioner.

I'm interested (slightly, not that much really, because I bought my XE1 for the user interface, not xtrans). I assumed its output would be more or less the same as every other 16MP sony sensor because they all generally are. I may get concerned in future if it turns out Xtrans is inherently flawed. I could compare my 5n and K5 16MP sensors but unless it becomes obvious using the XE1 that there is a major problem, i won't bother. But I'd still be interested in seeing someone else's results and the answers to this question.

It's also important given the way Fuji market Xtrans as better. No benefits, I can accept with no qualms, but promising the best and delivering something worse would be irritating to say the least.

This thread remains in the realm of rumor and speculation until we see the two comparable dog images mentioned in the original post. It would be simple enough to post them so that we would have something real to assess and discuss.

marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088

DMillier wrote:

Does any of this "reputation" thing matter, like you suggest? The poster (whichever one) asked a simple question that ought to stand in isolation.

Don't know the OP at all, but yes reputation matters. When you have posters claiming to own ALL of the latest cameras (NEX6, XE1, GX7, 70D, RX100 II) and then you see their user gallery with zero images from any of those cameras, it raises questions about credibility and frankly, about trolling.

XTrans and RAW conversion has been covered over and over and over again. The idea that other 16 mp crop sensor Bayer sensor cameras have more detail than a well processed XTrans image been disproven over and over again (see any Lenstip Fujifilm lens review to see MTF scores as good or better than any other APS-C lenses or have a look at DPR studio test comparisons). And the fact that the OP seems so concerned with pixel peeping images at 100% calls into question their priorities and whether they are interested in actual photography or are more concerned with gear head forum bragging rights.

But any serious questions about X-Trans files can be thoroughly answered with a simple Google search which will return dozens of comparisons with crops from all the various RAW processors and by having a look at the many recent forum posts on this well covered topic.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more

marike6 wrote:

Don't know the OP at all, but yes reputation matters. When you have posters claiming to own ALL of the latest cameras (NEX6, XE1, GX7, 70D, RX100 II) and then you see their user gallery with zero images from any of those cameras, it raises questions about credibility and frankly, about trolling.

What do you care if I have photos in my gallery or not? ...And I not not own a GX7 or a RX100II.

I do not need to show YOU any pictures from any of my cameras just to prove to you that I have them. That is of MY concern.

. And the fact that the OP seems so concerned with pixel peeping images at 100% calls into question their priorities and whether they are interested in actual photography or are more concerned with gear head forum bragging rights.

1- When did I say I was comparing photos at 100%? If you read clearly, I said "just by zooming in a bit". And YES, I own both an X-E1 and NEX-6, and I DO see differences in sharpness and detail in certain shots at times. I do not care what any other website says or what someone from YouTube says. I have compared them and seen it myself.

2-Who am I bragging to? Have you seen any posts of me bragging about all the cameras I own or how I take such great photos with them? I guess not, if "I don't have any photos in my gallery" right?

3-What YOU need to prioritize, is your own life and your own gear. Does me asking questions about comparisons of cameras I own concern you at all? Does the fact of me owning over 6 different cameras impact your life? All I did was ask a simple question to see if someone was experiencing the same thing.

And no, reputation does not matter. This is a freaking internet photography message board. There are more important things to life than coming here for "bragging rights".

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads