Nikon D7000, D7100, D600 Shutter grinding issue

Started Oct 18, 2013 | Discussions
rembart79 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Nikon D7000, D7100, D600 Shutter grinding issue

Lots of D600, D7000, D7100 users are claiming that they are experiencing shutter grinding issue.

If you are using D600, D7000 or D7100 you should check your shutter, too.

1.Set your release-mode dial to Mup (mirror up)

2.Dismount your lens from the camera body

3.Simply press the shutter button once

The mirror will be up and you can check your shutter.

Here is a picture of my D7100 shutter

You can easily find the scratches.

This is really bad I guess.

Ronan_M
Ronan_M Senior Member • Posts: 1,445
Re: Nikon D7000, D7100, D600 Shutter grinding issue

rembart79 wrote:

This is really bad I guess.

Why?

OP rembart79 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Nikon D7000, D7100, D600 Shutter grinding issue

Think about it.

When the shutter gets grinded those particle(or what we say dust) could set on the sensor.

(or somewhere in your camera)

Ronan_M
Ronan_M Senior Member • Posts: 1,445
Re: Nikon D7000, D7100, D600 Shutter grinding issue
1

rembart79 wrote:

Think about it.

When the shutter gets grinded those particle(or what we say dust) could set on the sensor.

(or somewhere in your camera)

Meh...hardly worth worrying about it

OP rembart79 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Nikon D7000, D7100, D600 Shutter grinding issue

Haven't you heard about the D600 dust(or oil) issue?

This is quite a problem to D600 users.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,244
different
1

rembart79 wrote:

Haven't you heard about the D600 dust(or oil) issue?

This is quite a problem to D600 users.

Not an issue though for the D7000/D7100 (to date) and your example shows wear points every different from the d600 wear that caused its issues. Do your f22 pics all show a problem?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

panos_m Senior Member • Posts: 1,486
What a coincidence :)

Another South Korean dpreview user just found the same problem:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52352726

-- hide signature --

Panagiotis

MalbikEndar Regular Member • Posts: 216
Re: What a coincidence :)
1

> When the shutter gets grinded those particle(or what we say dust) could set on the sensor.

Could don't mean does.

I've been shooting extensively with a D7000 for a couple years now and no such problem has emerged. I'd buy a D7100 if I was ready for a new camera.

toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,500
Re: Nikon D7000, D7100, D600 Shutter grinding issue
1

THIS JUST IN:

The sky is falling!

OP rembart79 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: It's not a false alarm

This is a test from a Korean Nikon D7100 user called "mook"

His D7100 shutter count was only about 300 when the test were started

This is the test setup

The first shot

The red circle show where the dust is

After about 500 shots

The black circle shows the point where dust are  added

Lens were never changed during this test.

So this test shows D7100(not all but some) also has dust problem like D600.

I asked in "SLR Club"(which is the largest Nikon users community in South Korea)

and I got more than 100 replies in 6 hours that they are experiencing shutter grinding

(from D600, D7000, and D7100 users)

Yes, may be shutter grinding is nothing to do with dust issue.

But think about it. Is shutter grinding is normal?

D4, D800, D300, or D700 users says their shutters are clean.

If you are using D600, D7000, D7100 plz check your shutter.

May be it could be a problem only exists in South Korea.

But lots of Nikon users in South Korea are really angry about this.

evan47
evan47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,554
Re: It's not a false alarm
1

rembart79 wrote:

This is a test from a Korean Nikon D7100 user called "mook"

His D7100 shutter count was only about 300 when the test were started

This is the test setup

The first shot

The red circle show where the dust is

After about 500 shots

The black circle shows the point where dust are added

Lens were never changed during this test.

So this test shows D7100(not all but some) also has dust problem like D600.

I asked in "SLR Club"(which is the largest Nikon users community in South Korea)

and I got more than 100 replies in 6 hours that they are experiencing shutter grinding

(from D600, D7000, and D7100 users)

Yes, may be shutter grinding is nothing to do with dust issue.

But think about it. Is shutter grinding is normal?

D4, D800, D300, or D700 users says their shutters are clean.

If you are using D600, D7000, D7100 plz check your shutter.

May be it could be a problem only exists in South Korea.

But lots of Nikon users in South Korea are really angry about this.

oh well, the next time i take pics of a plain, light coloured wall at f32 and pixel peep i will post a reply. until then i dont think i will lose any sleep over it.

 evan47's gear list:evan47's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D500 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +2 more
OP rembart79 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: It's not a false alarm

evan47 wrote:

oh well, the next time i take pics of a plain, light coloured wall at f32 and pixel peep i will post a reply. until then i dont think i will lose any sleep over it.

Hmm, I'm not sure "pixel peep" is the right word when we can see it even at resized image.

Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,244
more

rembart79 wrote:

evan47 wrote:

oh well, the next time i take pics of a plain, light coloured wall at f32 and pixel peep i will post a reply. until then i dont think i will lose any sleep over it.

Hmm, I'm not sure "pixel peep" is the right word when we can see it even at resized image.

Since the depris issue really isn't popping up with the D7100/D7000, and now seems to be fixed with the D600 (way fewer reports than in beginning)...it would seem you and your friend got lemons or introduced some abrasive depris into the mirror box. I would contact Nikon service ASAP before you make it worse by taking more example pics. seems an easy fix. Checked mine and no issue. Good luck

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Chuvarsky
Chuvarsky Senior Member • Posts: 1,615
Re: Nikon D7000, D7100, D600 Shutter grinding issue
3

I have both a D7000 & D7100.  Neither have the issue, nor have I heard of it before now.  Having done aircraft metallurgical failure analysis work in the past, my opinion is that your shutter appears to show the result of an abrasive material on the shutter rather than a shutter problem.

 Chuvarsky's gear list:Chuvarsky's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +6 more
aquua New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Nikon D7000, D7100, D600 Shutter grinding issue
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 25,244
nothing new

aquua wrote:

visit this url : http://shutterscratch.tistory.com/1

Nothing new there. Same user pics as op posted here. Looks like they simply got together ( same two guys) and simply took more picks of same camera then set up a site to go with the thread here.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

OP rembart79 Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: They are all individual body

Click at the small picture

You can find the scratches are all little different.

Yes, there is my shutter pic, too

Because we are gathering evidence.

blue_cheese
blue_cheese Senior Member • Posts: 1,880
Wow

Amazing how the DX forum showed more self restraint to this troll post than the FX forum....

If the OP seriously is concerned about this "issue" then I suggest they get any of the mirorless offerings that do not have a mechanical shutter. You may also want to move away from using hard drives with mechanically spinning disks and moving heads, SSD is the choice for you. As for vehicles, forget it.... they all have moving parts, even bikes. You may want to reconsider walking as that wears out cartridge in your joints... ask any old person.

Edit...oooh I can't help myself....

Since you are being thorough... you may want to closely inspect the aperture blades on all your lenses. I have noticed some of the more frequently used lenses of mine to have similar scrape marks, this would totally explain some of the residue I see on the inside elements of my lenses.

blue_cheese
blue_cheese Senior Member • Posts: 1,880
Re: It's not a false alarm

rembart79 wrote:

evan47 wrote:

oh well, the next time i take pics of a plain, light coloured wall at f32 and pixel peep i will post a reply. until then i dont think i will lose any sleep over it.

Hmm, I'm not sure "pixel peep" is the right word when we can see it even at resized image.

you are right, f32 for that shot brings other words to mind.... like the ones you would use for someone that underexposes by 10EV and then complains about banding....

MalbikEndar Regular Member • Posts: 216
Re: It's not a false alarm

> But lots of Nikon users in South Korea are really angry about this.

I suppose it helps keep your minds off the crazy man up north.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads