Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions
Corwin Lee Forum Member • Posts: 66
Check out all the sample photo first before decide

I'm also tempted with A7 but after checkout all the sample photo, I decide not to take any action for the moment. I suggest you should check their sample photo too, they are no way close to Nikon D800E or D600!

Corwin Lee's gear list:Corwin Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 13,293
Sorry posted in wrong place....

NT

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 13,293
Nope. Not even slightly.

I bought a Fuji because of what is WAS not what it wasn't.

I already have a D800, and with lenses it only weighs a little more than an equivalent Sony kit. But I have a feeling that the Xpro2 may even make me reconsider my Nikon ownership. But not anything larger.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
javaone360
javaone360 Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?

But it is Sony.  Not on my radar

javaone360's gear list:javaone360's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 III Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 +31 more
OP Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,831
Re: I am tempted...

Thanks for that. Sounds like a cool setup.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
OP Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,831

Well it seems consensus is no not interested and that most here want the small size but excellent smallish lenses, cost with high image quality Fuji provides.

Fuji has quite a loyal and happy customer base it seems.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
SubPrime Senior Member • Posts: 1,238
Very

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

A small compact full frame with those absolutely gorgeous 24 and 36mp sensors is very tempting.

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Not only is it a compact system,  but it looks to be a true DSLR replacement given it's FF sensor.

I hope Fuji respond with a FF offering, because I think that the Sony could well be a micro 4/3rds killer.

SubPrime Senior Member • Posts: 1,238

shankardarren wrote:

Im want to be honest and say Im tempted, really tempted ! Image quality wise, I believe in Fuji's sensors and colors. But the only one thing I'm frustrated with is the autofocus ! Why, for the amount of money I paid for the X-pro1 why fuji why? I really do hope they improve it in some kinda update or their next model, or they will lose more than one customer.

I totally agree.  The IQ is superb, but they have a lot of work to do to remain competitive.

MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,650
Re: The lenses will be huge...

NTNphoto wrote:

A small compact full frame

The lenses will be huge, heavy and expensive. So the small compact body does not matter any more.

I prefer the Fujifilm approach of building high quality cameras: Innovative sensor design and fast, high quality lenses.

(That's why I never bought a NEX: the lenses are comparatively slow)

Not necessarily. If you plan to use manual focus lenses with the excellent sony focus peaking you're looking at a very small set up. Probably smaller than the Fuji really especially if you're talking the Fuji with that 55-200 on it. M mount lenses are very small and if you can live with their high quality vs lack of AF vs price you'll be in for a treat.

I for one have already preordered one of the sony cameras. I shoot mainly raw so I don't care that sony's jpegs stink and I'll be shooting M glass on it so I don't care about the AF lenses being too big although I don't think the primes look THAT big. I'm also being more of an editorial and portrait photographer I don't go much wider than 35mm so I probably won't run into the issues with the wide angle rangefinder lenses that Wide angle shooters will.

What it means for me and Fuji well ill probably keep the X-E1 and use it from time to time. It's not really worth all that much on the secondary market and I can mount M glass on it still and if I plan on shooting jpegs it'll definitely be better than the Sony. I'll probably never shoot it in RAW anymore. I've always found their RAW files frustrating so Fuji can be my jpeg camera I guess which isn't really a terrible thing.

I'm guessing most people won't want to give up AF though and we've yet to see how these new Sony's perform with rangefinder lenses, there have been issues at the boarders with ASPC sensors so FF is obviously a challenge.

BillyInya
BillyInya Senior Member • Posts: 1,453

A small compact full frame with those absolutely gorgeous 24 and 36mp sensors is very tempting.

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Not in the least. Why lumber around great monster weight lenses and gear when there just is simply no real benefit in image quality anymore.

I spent about three months comparing my X-E1 output with full frames and mostly all of the time I prefer the image quality coming out of my Fuji. Not to mention not having to use a crane to lift full frame lenses.

Heck, I've seen some images coming out of the very latest smart phones that give monster full frame cams a run for their money.

I can't see any advantage at all in big heavy full frame lenses and equipment any longer, unless you have a lucrative contract to supply images that were to be displayed off the side of a bridge or building - but even then most latest APS-C sensor cams, especially the Fuji's, would deliver very well there.

For me personally full frame just doesn't give the major advantages it once did, in fact, quite the opposite now.

When I see people lumbering around great monstrous heavy full frame equipment now I sort of have a bit of a laugh to myself now. I know I shouldn't but I do.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Zardoz
Zardoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,249

Todd3608 wrote:

No way...They make Fuji's lenses seem cheap.

They are cheap. There are also substantial image and build quality differences.

Zardoz
Zardoz Senior Member • Posts: 1,249

MrFlash wrote:

Nope. I don't understand the fascination with FF anyway. It's all about IQ right?

Different people care about different things.  DoF.  Adapting old FF lenses and retaining focal length.

After shooting with the X system for a year or so, I sold my Canon FF equipment. The difference in IQ between the Canon 5D II w/ 'L' lenses and the X-Pro1 was not significant. I have no reason to believe that a FF camera from Sony will be significantly better than a FF camera from Canon.

Sensor tech has moved on five years since the 5D2, improvements are significant.  Whether they matter for you personally is another matter.

Jeff Seltzer Senior Member • Posts: 1,796
Yes, totally agree

uniball wrote:

Definitely will switch systems. Then when Panny/Oly announce their next feature rich camera, I'll switch again. Fuji will likely continue to introduce some sweet products, can always go back. And hey, there are others as well that might surprise me and prompt a GAS attack.

I am such a great photographer camera tech is always the limiting factor.

...I was thinking the same thing while at the driving range, then I started noticing a slight fade...clearly, it's time for a new driver!

Matz03 Regular Member • Posts: 186

Absolutely it's peaked my interest...but not for a while would I seriously consider one.  If the bodies fall in price a bit in a year or so and we see more lenses that aren't too big and crazy pricey, then maybe I'll research further.  $799 for the 35mm f2.8, $999 for the 55 1.8, $3k for the 70-200, that's pricey!

Not going to lie, would love an A7 with something like a 17-40 f4, and a small 35mm f2  50 f1.4, all weather sealed so i can easily hike with such a kit.

That ef to e-mount metabones adapter that will focus canon glass is now really interesting!

breamer Regular Member • Posts: 259
Yes but only for landscapes and staged people shots

I will get one to replace my 5D2. Primarily for landscape shooting. At least I think I will. I've pre-ordered the A7r. The loud shutter bothers me. If it had a quiet shutter then I'd have no reservations whatsoever in replacing my 5D2 and Fuji.

I also heard that the minimum ISO was 200, which if true is somewhat disappointing.

Stilograph Regular Member • Posts: 304

Honestly, and for the first time in years, yes.

But not until they introduce 24-70 2.8, 35 1,4, 70-200 2.8 and 85 1.4.

And the AF needs to be DSLR-snappy.

But you know, I really doubt that at full frame and large apertures, the system is not going to have a big weight advantage over D600.

1drey
1drey Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
Re: Yes but only for landscapes and staged people shots

7/7r has base ISO 100

I also consider 7/7r as a potential replacement for my 5d mkii - use it similar to your application (shooting spherical panoramas) and interested in better high ISO performance, better DR and higher resolution. No rush, but if the test images will show noticeable advantage over 5d mkii, I'll go for it.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a7R +7 more
CraigArnold Contributing Member • Posts: 697

uniball wrote:

I am such a great photographer camera tech is always the limiting factor.

Haha, me too.

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony a7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
CraigArnold Contributing Member • Posts: 697

Yes very tempted.

Mainly as a replacement for my 5DMkII, the most likely functional replacement for my X100 will be a Nokia 1020 or similar.

Love Fuji, not a big fan of X-trans. I don't find it either unreservedly better or worse than Bayer, just a bit different, but not in a way that I particularly like.

Don't want lots of lenses, and I certainly don't care about fast lenses. The current Zeiss 35f2.8 is probably the only lens I'd really need. Though I'd add a wide angle later as long as it was small.

Difficult choice between the faster AF of the 7 or the better sensor of the R. Probably go with the R.

CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony a7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Yxa
Yxa Senior Member • Posts: 2,455

Daniel Lauring wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

Wouldn't replace my Fuji but might replace my D800E - EVF+focus peaking for my MF lenses and true OLPF-less 36MP sensor is very tempting

Ditto with my D800. My only concern is the focus speed. I haven't seen on sensor phase detection work as well as a good old fashioned SLR yet.

"In Speed Priority mode, up to 4 fps continuous shooting is possible, or 1.5 fps in normal continuous mode."

The D800 locks focus on every frame in AF-C at 4 fps

That would indicate much faster AF-system than the A7r :s 1.5fps

(The D4 same AF-system (same as the D800) manages 10 fps with individual focus)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads