Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions
DAndison Contributing Member • Posts: 527
Re: Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?

errrr no. The weight is going in the wrong direction. I need a quality compact system and the Sony A7 lenses are moving back towards the weight of the Canon full frame lenses. The camera looks good but not convinced about the lens line up.... especially the price.

DAndison's gear list:DAndison's gear list
Sony FE PZ 28-135mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony RX100 +9 more
WT Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,495
No (NT)

No text

-- hide signature --

Warren

1drey
1drey Senior Member • Posts: 1,412
I am tempted...

...to replace my EOS 5D MkII with 7 or 7r - because I use it professionally to shoot spherical panoramas, hope Fuji will finally produce something able to be used as a real reportage camera - will get Sony for VR stuff and Fuji for the rest of work.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha a7R +7 more
OP Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,696

Yes my thoughts as well. But after the initial excitement of wanting a new product the sombre assessment was my D800E is working perfectly well. I have no complaints about it except its large.

Oh one thing, I think D800E images are a bit colour biased to green slightly.

I also have a slew of accessories and the Nex 7 had the magenta cast issue with widefield lenses which I would need to know is corrected in the A7.

But D800E type image quality in a portable smallish body like XE1 is very appealling. A bet there will be a lot of D800E's on the market soon.

Fuji X though is more than just great looking cameras and style. The images are amazing and the colours the best.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
km25
km25 Contributing Member • Posts: 696

Time marches on. If Fuji does not improve maybe. But they have not came ou with their new "High End" camera. Fuji is a major sensor producer. I would wait. If you think Fuji is slow with lens roll out see Sony and Zeiss. The camera looks like a DSLR, after you ad grip...maybe just buy a D800E or D610. Look at Cannon, they did not go 36MP, because they know it has limited uses. Your low light WILL suffer with higher MP. The best of the two to will be the 24MP. The bottom line here is pixelpeepers, Do just want to say you got the MP, if that is what you want buy a Hassi with a 60MP back.

Billions of years ago when I was young we used films. You were a 35mm, medium format or view camera photographer, maybe uses one or more for different needs. Bottom line, chose, it is not different now, a Nokia Phone can have 40Mp, it will not look better the a Sony point and shoot with 20MP. THE IMAGE IS MORE IMPORTAN THE IMAGE QUALITY.

Wait my Fuji users, agian like years gone buy, your Fuji glass will fit the next camera they make. You would be wiser to buy a D800E, Nikon, as I hear, has more then four lens for it. Buy a system. Not just one camera. Upgrades will always come and go. Fuji knows the X-Pro 1 can not be their last camera.

-- hide signature --

kam

km25's gear list:km25's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH +10 more
57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 3,993

It's a bit late imo. I was looking at cameras a year ago and I thought the RX1 a very cool thing, except it was expensive, not ILC and had no rangefinder. Fuji was a third choice (had a little yearn for Leica but it's not like film bodies these days, is it?), almost a "well, what else is in that vein?". I'm still really happy with the X-E1, it was serendipitous.

36 MP for less that £2k is quite a deal, though. It would show my basic errors in stunning detail :/

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
Alan Wolf Regular Member • Posts: 308
Not in the least (NT)

No text.

Alan Wolf's gear list:Alan Wolf's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 4/18 ZM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 +22 more

Hilarious post!

Greg.

Sony Alpha a7R II Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Re: I am tempted...

What's VR mean?

Greg.

1drey
1drey Senior Member • Posts: 1,412
Re: I am tempted...

VR = Virtual Reality, often used as a synonym for 360 degrees panoramas

I think about mounting my VR set on quad (or hexa) copter  - it is where even 400g difference in weight can play important role...

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha a7R +7 more
StickBreitling Regular Member • Posts: 189

Not tempted because:

- don't shoot ultra wide

- don't shoot razor thin DOF

- x series has more than adequate ISO performance

- not a fan of Sony colours or camera interaction after having had an NEX7

- 16mp is more than enough for me

DDWD10
DDWD10 Contributing Member • Posts: 766

StickBreitling wrote:

Not tempted because:

- don't shoot ultra wide

- don't shoot razor thin DOF

The upcoming 10-24mm and 56mm/1.2 will be there... should your preferences and needs change.

DDWD10's gear list:DDWD10's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +8 more
HB1969 Senior Member • Posts: 1,264

Stephen787 wrote:

Still 16Mp, really in 2013?

How big are you printing? (This is an honest question- not being nasty)

I've printed 6MP images from my old camera to 40x60cm. So 16MP may be able to do 80x120cm. I haven't enlarged any of my xe-1 images past A4 yet so this is a guess.

HB1969's gear list:HB1969's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
vkphoto
vkphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,632

Hi Greg, good question.

I feel pretty much content with my x-trans/foveon/film cameras and lenses. No intention to buy anything else other than (may be) H501Cm or XF23/1.4.

Personally I am not big fan of Sony's design, it looks to me like a little computer with the imaging sensor and the lens mount attached. Prefer cameras with traditional knobs/dials, I like to see all exposure settings at a glance even if the camera is powered off. Good news, EC dial is there, may be somebody on the design team still remembers XE-7 from Minolta/Leica honeymoon times

But I am interested to see how well A7/r will perform with legacy lenses. If well, then A7r could be a perfect solution for current Leica M users. You would get a second body to share Leitz glass AND ability to use fast Zeiss tele photo lenses with AF/IS.

I had S75, F707 once and still have NEX, and hope that this time Sony has done it right.

Regards,

vkphoto

-- hide signature --
Jim Evidon
Jim Evidon Contributing Member • Posts: 951

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

A small compact full frame with those absolutely gorgeous 24 and 36mp sensors is very tempting.

How many are tempted?

Greg.

No to both questions. APSC format gives me images larger than I really need as it is. 30X40 is no problem. I'll forgo FF and enjoy carrying around lighter weight lenses, thank you.
Jim

Jim Evidon's gear list:Jim Evidon's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 DxO One Fujifilm X70 Leica M Typ 240 Leica TL2 +2 more
Beat Traveller Contributing Member • Posts: 744

A small compact full frame with those absolutely gorgeous 24 and 36mp sensors is very tempting.

How many are tempted?

Greg.

I'm not switching to anything full frame until there's at least a 30% drop in current lens and body prices. Right now APS-C gives me the best value for money because I rarely print anything larger than 16X12.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
rusticus
rusticus Contributing Member • Posts: 559

I do not - will not buy - why?

rusticus's gear list:rusticus's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,454

How many are tempted?

Show me a relatively compact lens line with high IQ to go with it.  I own a dSLR and a Fuji XE-1. Each has a place and I don't see the Sony A7 displacing either.

-- hide signature --
Corwin Lee Forum Member • Posts: 66
Yes, but after view all the sample photo, I think I have no point waste the money

No text.

Corwin Lee's gear list:Corwin Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Jack Bishop Contributing Member • Posts: 559
Re: Yes, but after view all the sample photo, I think I have no point waste the money

No !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads