Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?

Started Oct 17, 2013 | Discussions
Florian Reichl Regular Member • Posts: 107
The lenses will be huge...

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

A small compact full frame

The lenses will be huge, heavy and expensive. So the small compact body does not matter any more.

I prefer the Fujifilm approach of building high quality cameras: Innovative sensor design and fast, high quality lenses.

(That's why I never bought a NEX: the lenses are comparatively slow)

Florian Reichl's gear list:Florian Reichl's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,321
No OVF = Zero Temptation (n/t)

No text.

Perry Kivolowitz
Perry Kivolowitz Regular Member • Posts: 275
Re: Are you tempted to switch to Sony A7 or get one as well as your Fuji?

Not I. My interest is in the intersection of IQ and low weight.

Perry Kivolowitz's gear list:Perry Kivolowitz's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +11 more
brudy Senior Member • Posts: 1,510

Pre-ordered the A7r. I'll probably sell my x100 if it works out.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7R Fujifilm X-T10
shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,819

Stephen787 wrote:

shigzeo ? wrote:

Joohan wrote:

I have already preordered the A7R. I can't be bothered with brand loyalty. I invest mostly in m-mount lenses so I will keep the X-pro1 and have the luxury of a second body.

We are in the same boat. I'm not a fan of Sony, but I don't have confidence in the X brand to purchase lenses. So, I'm all L and M lenses on my X. Will switch to the first reliable FF ILC camera that does what I need it to do. If it's a Sony, oh well.

dear mister shigzeo

i am interested in buying leica M lenses for an mirroless camera from leica store in munich. which sell sec hands lenses, maybe even new leica lenses in their future wetzlar hq.

But i would like to know from you. Is the IQ better on M lenses, the X format lenses is optimize on mirrorless camera, the gap between lens element and sensor is very small. Can your M lenses still beat fuji with such disadvantage?

Can you from your photo gallery pick out the one from leica or an X or L lens?

The 60mm f2.4 fujifilm lens is so good compare to their other lenses, that i can easily pick them out from photo folder with mix lenses. Will you able to pick up photo taken from M lens?

Dankjewel

Hello Dank,

I don't update my DPreview gallery very often at all.

The only L mount (old Leica) lenses I've used at DPReview are the 10,5cm/2,5 LTM Nikkor, the 35/2 LTM Canon, and that is it for now. However, I use Summicrons and Summiluxes both new and old. I've found that no maker is perfect. One thing about Leica is that their build quality is second to none.

The Fuji lenses are sharp and have good colours, but are strapped to a 100% completely electronic mount. The Leica lenses can be used free, on other cameras, and even ringed together for crazy macro.

I use only older lenses, mostly from the 60-80's and each one, for F or L/M mount is amazing. My favs are the 10,5 Nikkor and the Canon 35/2. Why? The Canon is extremely sharp, but has amazing OOF rendition that isn't just smooth, it's painterly.

One thing I dislike about the Fuji lenses is that they are smooth without much background character. It is fine. A lot of people enjoy that style. I don't. I shoot advertising photography for a living but when I get out with a fun camera, I'm looking for something memorable. It is why I'm saving for the 50/1,4 pre-asph Leica Summilux, which not that smooth, has great spec, is sharp, and has lovely, painterly OOF areas.

As for my gallery, I hope to update soon. So far, the only L/M shots are these:

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica M10 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +6 more
Alohaman Contributing Member • Posts: 576

If I ever go back to FF, it will probably be a mirrorless.  If Sony is there alone, the A7s or their successors will be my only choice.  Hopefully other manufacturers will come up with their FF mirrorless.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Canadianguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,687

I was excited until I saw the lens line-up.

FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS - kit lens

FE 55mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T - $999

FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T - $799

FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar T - $1199

FE 70-200 F4

I don't have a bag full of Leica lenses either so using it as a body with an adopter has no interest for me.

I am looking for small, fast primes - not large slow zooms.

Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,235

I am tempted, but I am really unhappy with the cost of the A mount lens adapter.  Camera body + a mount adapter + minolta lenses... and pfft, i might as well buy an A99.

I do REALLY want full frame, but so far the price isnt low enough for me to jump on it.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-E1 + PK lens adapter + 55mm Pentax SMC 55mm F1.8

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Sony FE 50mm F1.8
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

A small compact full frame with those absolutely gorgeous 24 and 36mp sensors is very tempting.

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Nope, someone has to be first.

I would not necessarily run and buy a first generation of anything. With that it is a matter of time before other manufactures make changes.

I would not be surprised that everything returns to its Film roots where their was just a SLR or p&s that were 35 mm, medium format and so forth.

Digital gives the manufactures the means to make lots of money with little improvements. Same thing I think about Cell Phones. Same with a manufacture just changing pixel count, OH.. a great example is the Nikon D600 - D610, oil whatever, it was Nikon needs a new camera release.

Anyway, unless you need a certain technological improvement it is a waste of money to buy into because you know in a year or two it will cost $500 less whatever...

Stephen787 Regular Member • Posts: 491

shigzeo ? wrote:

One thing I dislike about the Fuji lenses is that they are smooth without much background character. It is fine. A lot of people enjoy that style. I don't. I shoot advertising photography for a living but when I get out with a fun camera, I'm looking for something memorable. It is why I'm saving for the 50/1,4 pre-asph Leica Summilux, which not that smooth, has great spec, is sharp, and has lovely, painterly OOF areas.

Thank you shigzeo, you will enjoy your leica on A7R in future. I will have to get more information before deciding what to do with leica lenses on mirrorless. I might just have to buy a cheap second hand leica from the leica store, put it on a mirrorless and snap away. Then i can decide if it is worth it for me.

Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342

inasir1971 wrote:

Wouldn't replace my Fuji but might replace my D800E - EVF+focus peaking for my MF lenses and true OLPF-less 36MP sensor is very tempting

Ditto with my D800.  My only concern is the focus speed.  I haven't seen on sensor phase detection work as well as a good old fashioned SLR yet.

uniball Senior Member • Posts: 2,023

Definitely will switch systems. Then when Panny/Oly announce their next feature rich camera, I'll switch again. Fuji will likely continue to introduce some sweet products, can always go back. And hey, there are others as well that might surprise me and prompt a GAS attack.

I am such a great photographer camera tech is always the limiting factor.

NTNphoto Regular Member • Posts: 236
Re: The lenses will be huge...

A small compact full frame

The lenses will be huge, heavy and expensive. So the small compact body does not matter any more.

I prefer the Fujifilm approach of building high quality cameras: Innovative sensor design and fast, high quality lenses.

(That's why I never bought a NEX: the lenses are comparatively slow)

Not necessarily. If you plan to use manual focus lenses with the excellent sony focus peaking you're looking at a very small set up. Probably smaller than the Fuji really especially if you're talking the Fuji with that 55-200 on it. M mount lenses are very small and if you can live with their high quality vs lack of AF vs price you'll be in for a treat.

I for one have already preordered one of the sony cameras. I shoot mainly raw so I don't care that sony's jpegs stink and I'll be shooting M glass on it so I don't care about the AF lenses being too big although I don't think the primes look THAT big. I'm also being more of an editorial and portrait photographer I don't go much wider than 35mm so I probably won't run into the issues with the wide angle rangefinder lenses that Wide angle shooters will.

What it means for me and Fuji well ill probably keep the X-E1 and use it from time to time. It's not really worth all that much on the secondary market and I can mount M glass on it still and if I plan on shooting jpegs it'll definitely be better than the Sony. I'll probably never shoot it in RAW anymore. I've always found their RAW files frustrating so Fuji can be my jpeg camera I guess which isn't really a terrible thing.

NTNphoto's gear list:NTNphoto's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +6 more
Jeff Seltzer Senior Member • Posts: 1,791
There will always be something "better"

A small compact full frame with those absolutely gorgeous 24 and 36mp sensors is very tempting.

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Funny thing...the introduction of the Sony does not seem to negatively effect the quality of images coming from my X-Pro1.

DDWD10
DDWD10 Contributing Member • Posts: 769

The Fuji lens lineup is just too good.  I am so glad I dumped all of my antiquated Canon EOS gear and got onboard with the XF lineup.  Otherwise, yes, the A7 looks terrific.

DDWD10's gear list:DDWD10's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Pentax 01 Standard Prime +5 more
Alohaman Contributing Member • Posts: 576

I already have a Canon T4i, Sony NEX 7 and Fuji X100s.  Don't need to add a Sony A7/7r. I will wait and see what other manufacturers come up with.  In a couple of years, we may have half dozen FF mirrorless to choose from.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Landsandgrooves Regular Member • Posts: 244

Not interested in the Sony. I can easily get 24x30-inch prints out of my X100s or X-E1. Bigger will hold up just fine.

Low light performance is stunning.

Fuji lenses are great. I also can use my closet full of Nikon and Leica lenses on the X-E1.

At a certain point, you stop worrying so much about the latest and greatest, and you just take photos.

When painters get together, they don't talk about brushes.

-- hide signature --

Tom Gresham

Landsandgrooves's gear list:Landsandgrooves's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7S II Sony Alpha a7R III Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +15 more
david6785 Regular Member • Posts: 249

Its tempting at first but the more I think about it I'm pretty damn happy with the Fuji system! Were still on the first gen x cameras and I expect them to have some kick ass sensors in the future! I really love the every thing about Fuji cameras especially the lenses why switch and go down a endless rabbit hole gas syndrome. I'm really trying to get better with what I got

MrFlash Contributing Member • Posts: 781

Nope. I don't understand the fascination with FF anyway. It's all about IQ right?

After shooting with the X system for a year or so, I sold my Canon FF equipment. The difference in IQ between the Canon 5D II w/ 'L' lenses and the X-Pro1 was not significant. I have no reason to believe that a FF camera from Sony will be significantly better than a FF camera from Canon.

Do I want to carry around bigger, heavier lenses - Nope.

And on the subject of lenses - Fuji glass is exceptional. Sony lenses have been called many things - exceptional is not one of them. The Sony FE system may eventually offer some Zeiss glass and it will be excellent, big, heavy and very expensive.

Obviously I haven't tried the latest offering, but I've owned a couple of Sony mirrorless cameras and DSLRs. Sony and I have very different ideas about how a camera is supposed to work and feel (personal taste).

If I was obsessed with the idea of FF, I would still be lugging my Canon stuff around.

-- hide signature --

MrFlash

MrFlash's gear list:MrFlash's gear list
Nikon Df Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
sgoldswo
sgoldswo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,717
Not me...

How many are tempted?

Greg.

Not me, I'm selling cameras right now. X-E1, RX-1, GH3, M9 all up for sale or sold. 

I'm not about to be bankrupted, my M240 order finally turned up... Somewhat mixed feelings now, but I had placed a deposit and an A7 doesn't have a rangefinder, so....

In case anyone wonders I still have an X-Pro1 and my X100S, so I'll still be posting here!

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica Q Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads