Purchasing a NEX 5R/T or 6 a bad idea now?

Started Oct 16, 2013 | Discussions
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,617
Re: Purchasing a NEX 5R/T or 6 a bad idea now?

Mel Snyder wrote:

Actually, Gary, in Japan there is an assumption that people buy new cameras more often than in the States. Dealers put a lot of pressure on the manufacturers to bring out new features annually. There is consumer demand for quality that would last decades - but dealer demand for features that encourage annual turnover.

Interesting.  I've been upgrading my digital cameras about every 3 years.  With each upgrade, the IQ difference is pretty substantial.  It's starting to taper off, though -- diminishing returns.  There's still plenty of room for improvements, but I wonder -- if my Nex-6 does everything I need from a camera, what will it take to sell me another?  Well, I'm good for another 2.5 years anyway.  

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,415
re: and this is EXACTLY the bone of contention

santiclaws wrote:

At worst, they'll get rid of the current rangefinder body style, but you'll still be able to use your lenses if all the new cameras are "DSLR-lite" in shape.

what should have been a day of Sony's PR triumph thanks to the FF A7/A7r and lenses, is badly tarnished by the lack of a clear message concerning the possible future of the APS-C RF-like cameras (the name is not important, but that form factor most certainly IS);

what we see instead is a biggest PR fu@kup in the current history - I do not recall anything close within the last 5 years in the photo industry!! The last big one concerned the Canon 1D3s disaster

jpr2

PS as far as many here are concerned S. can stuff the a3000 and alike DSLR-littes = they aren't what we are looking for in RF-like NEX'es upgrade path [sic!!]

parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Elite83 wrote:

Does anybody know if they're going to cut manufacturing of NEX's now? i.e. The NEX-7, NEX-6, NEX-5T, and NEX 3N?

And by now, I don't mean a year from now, I mean like within the next month or two.

No, nobody knows

And nobody knows what Sony's actual plans concerning future APS-C Emount body styles are. Everything you read (including my comments, and also 'reassuring statments' from self-styled forum guru's) is speculation

What we all need is a clear statement from Sony about what the future is for APS-C Emount bodies... whether there will be a NEX-7 replacement and whether they will continue releasing rangefinder bodies in the future

Will we get one?

Watch this space...

What did Sony say about the matter of APS-C and NEX-7 replacement at the gala presentation, yesterday?

Yes, how do they say it in French... 'silence radio'?

What is also very bothering to me is the way that the NEX-5T was going to be called the A5000 until just before the release... pre-production models even went out for testing with the A5000 written on them and partially covered by a rubber grommet. Here's one from the Imaging Resource NEX-5T review:

Look at the a5000 writing where the production models now say NEX-5T (although the 'a' is partially obscured)

You can find the complete review here in case anybody thinks we've discovered a 'future' A5000 (we haven't, it's a NEX-5T and will always be a NEX-5T):

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-nex-5t/sony-nex-5tA.HTM

So why didn't they want to call it the A5000 in the end?

The only reason I can think of is because they don't want the A5000 series to have that form factor... which means... 

parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
NowHearThis
NowHearThis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,574
Of course not.

the8thark wrote:

After a long decision process I have decided to go and purchase a NEX 5R or 6. I decided I didn't need what the 5T had to offer over the 5R. But . . .
After reading about the supposed death of the NEX line

None of which came from Sony.... this means it's just BS that someone fabricated in their own mind.

and the introduction of the A7/A7r would this make purchasing the NEX camera a bad idea?

How can it?  No new camera ever introduced in history has ever made any other camera start to shoot with lower IQ than what it already had.  So, the NEX 5R/6 were great cameras yesterday, today they're still equally great, not one thing has been diminished from what they had before.  In fact, years from now they'll still be great cameras.

Would the availability of lenses till be there in the future? I just don't want to buy it if the lens market for it just dies.

APS-C will not die.  Too many people buy APS-C, I like the crop factor, smaller lenses, smaller bodies.   I can't see myself choosing FF.  The biggest issue FF has is you will never have a $500-$600 body and lenses will still always cost more than the APS-C versions.

So what is your all opinion on this?

It's great for those well off folks who can afford spending thousands and tens of thousands on their camera equipment.  I like that Sony has offered yet another product that the big 2 don't have and my opinion is CaNikon won't release anything similar because they won't want to hurt FF sales.

Is a NEX camera still a good purchase today after all the information we have had recently delivered to us from Sony and others?

Yep, always will be too, for a great many people, myself included.

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH
Re: Of course not.

NowHearThis wrote:

the8thark wrote:

After a long decision process I have decided to go and purchase a NEX 5R or 6. I decided I didn't need what the 5T had to offer over the 5R. But . . .

None of which came from Sony.... this means it's just BS that someone fabricated in their own mind.

Actually two separate Sony reps have announced yesterday that NEX is no longer going to be used as a name for their product models:

http://youtu.be/rVRE6sFJ2jE

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52339620

and the introduction of the A7/A7r would this make purchasing the NEX camera a bad idea?

How can it? No new camera ever introduced in history has ever made any other camera start to shoot with lower IQ than what it already had. So, the NEX 5R/6 were great cameras yesterday, today they're still equally great, not one thing has been diminished from what they had before. In fact, years from now they'll still be great cameras.

Would the availability of lenses till be there in the future? I just don't want to buy it if the lens market for it just dies.

APS-C will not die. Too many people buy APS-C, I like the crop factor, smaller lenses, smaller bodies. I can't see myself choosing FF. The biggest issue FF has is you will never have a $500-$600 body and lenses will still always cost more than the APS-C versions.

It's great for those well off folks who can afford spending thousands and tens of thousands on their camera equipment. I like that Sony has offered yet another product that the big 2 don't have and my opinion is CaNikon won't release anything similar because they won't want to hurt FF sales.

Is a NEX camera still a good purchase today after all the information we have had recently delivered to us from Sony and others?

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,930

Mel Snyder wrote:

captura wrote:

Mel, for me t he biggest advantage that the 6 would have over my 5R is the active Quick-Navi screen. The 5R has it too but it's not activated! That's an example of Sony-Think!

I'll have to take your word for that - when I moved from a twin-lens reflex to an SLR, I never wanted to look at a ground glass - or an LCD acting like a ground glass - again. And so, I admit I have never used anything but an iPhone that didn't have an eye-level finder.

Someone here on the forum made the observation months back that the NEX cameras without EVFs were always displayed with the point and shoot cameras at Best Buy and Walmart. That was a profound observation that the Sony market research people clearly made, too. That, I believe, explains the A3000 and the A7 series. Point and shoots are dying, and Sony is determined not to be slotted to the camera cemetery.

I have the optional EVF, Mel, and I use it most of the time. I ven use it to look at the Quick Navi screen, which an excellent tool. But I can't use that screen to full effect like I could with a NEX-6.

Even my ancient E-PL1 has one, Olly calls it a Super Control Panel, and you can change any of about 25 menu functions off that single screen.

"It also becomes the first NEX camera to feature Sony's Quick Navi interactive control panel ..."

http://www.dpreview.com/products/Sony/slrs/sony_nex6

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,930

NowHearThis wrote:

the8thark wrote:

How can it? No new camera ever introduced in history has ever made any other camera start to shoot with lower IQ than what it already had. So, the NEX 5R/6 were great cameras yesterday, today they're still equally great, not one thing has been diminished from what they had before. In fact, years from now they'll still be great cameras.

APS-C will not die. Too many people buy APS-C, I like the crop factor, smaller lenses, smaller bodies. I can't see myself choosing FF. The biggest issue FF has is you will never have a $500-$600 body and lenses will still always cost more than the APS-C versions.

So what is your all opinion on this?at least the rangefinder style NEX models.

It's great for those well off folks who can afford spending thousands and tens of thousands on their camera equipment. I like that Sony has offered yet another product that the big 2 don't have and my opinion is CaNikon won't release anything similar because they won't want to hurt FF sales.

Rangefinder-style NEX is dead; that oracle of wisdom, SAR said so.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Mel Snyder
Mel Snyder Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088
THIS is the perfect response to the OP question

NowHearThis wrote:

the8thark wrote:

This is the perfect response! It should be enshrined here and reissued daily.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
franzel Contributing Member • Posts: 803

captura wrote:

Rangefinder-style NEX is dead; that oracle of wisdom, SAR said so.

Actually, SAR claims this :

Quote :

Izzybee New Member • Posts: 16

Does anybody know if  NEX 5R/T or 6 will accept the new full frame lenses, since the E-mount will be the same? If so, then we will have a bigger pool of lenses to choose from than before. That would be a good argument to buy a NEX body now....

Izzybee's gear list:Izzybee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 NEX5R +13 more
brownie314
brownie314 Senior Member • Posts: 1,918

Elite83 wrote:

Don't see why they would just "drop" the rangefinder style bodies, they're what sets Sony apart from everyone else. And from what I've gathered over my years in the NEX forum, it's their highest praised "feature" that keeps everyone coming back.

I mean, who wants another boring DSLR styled camera body? Leave Canon and Nikon to take care of that nonsense. The big selling point of cell phones every year at release is how much thinner and lighter the device is, so (let's pretend for a minute Sony decided to stop making Rangefinder styled bodies in favor of models like the A3000 or some other hybrid)--why is the camera industry going backwards, for bigger, bulkier and heavier while cell phone are going for smaller and lighter?

If you consider this fact, I think that the rangefinder bodies aren't going anywhere. Currently, they're the only choice as far as optimum body size:sensor size, ratio on the market.

-Matt

So smaller and lighter will always win?  Tell that to people buying SUV's.  And I don't agree that cell phones are getting smaller and lighter.  My first cell phone was the size of a candy bar.  Now I carry one that is much larger than that.  So no, I don't think they are getting smaller and lighter.  They are getting larger because that is the only way to make them more capable (larger screen, more buttons, larger battery, etc.).  There is an optimal size for a device, and that size will be different depending on how you use a device.  Smaller isn't always better.  I have tried some of the really small mirrorless - to me too much of a compromise in useability.  You may not agree.  But DSLR's are still outselling mirrorless, so I must not be the only person who is willing to carry a little bit larger device to get better ergonomics and functionality.

brownie314's gear list:brownie314's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M
Dennis Forum Pro • Posts: 18,216

NowHearThis wrote:

The biggest issue FF has is you will never have a $500-$600 body and lenses will still always cost more than the APS-C versions.

That depends on what you mean by "APS-C versions".  If you insist on having the same maximum *relative* aperture (like f/2.8 on either system, even though it gives you different DOF and you can bump the ISO up on FF to maintain the same shutter speed while you stop down to maintain the same DOF) then yes, it will typically be more expensive.  But it doesn't have to be that way.

The normal lens is a modest 50/1.8 instead of a 35/1.8.  Instead of a 16-85 you might opt for a 24-105 or 24-120 or even step down to a 24-85.  Depending on which you choose, it might be more or less expensive, but the lenses are typically faster in terms of f-stop, and then you get the benefit of the larger sensor on top of that.

When you get to tele zooms, you might compare the Sigma 50-150 to a 70-200.  But why not opt for the 70-200/4 instead ?  Same DOF, bump the ISO one stop to compensate and you're equal on noise.

Of course, it's fair to ask what's the point of moving to FF if you're NOT going to exploit the larger sensor by keeping the same fast f-stops.  But there are reasons (increase dynamic range, lower noise when you shoot at base ISO, higher res image files, because the sensor is less demanding of the lens).

So while it's probably true that the FF kit someone would choose is typically bigger, heavier and more expensive than the kit they'd choose for APS-C, it doesn't have to be that way.

(You also have the option of shooting only certain FF lenses, and shooting others in crop mode, particularly teles).

- Dennis

brownie314 wrote:

Elite83 wrote:

Don't see why they would just "drop" the rangefinder style bodies, they're what sets Sony apart from everyone else. And from what I've gathered over my years in the NEX forum, it's their highest praised "feature" that keeps everyone coming back.

I mean, who wants another boring DSLR styled camera body? Leave Canon and Nikon to take care of that nonsense. The big selling point of cell phones every year at release is how much thinner and lighter the device is, so (let's pretend for a minute Sony decided to stop making Rangefinder styled bodies in favor of models like the A3000 or some other hybrid)--why is the camera industry going backwards, for bigger, bulkier and heavier while cell phone are going for smaller and lighter?

If you consider this fact, I think that the rangefinder bodies aren't going anywhere. Currently, they're the only choice as far as optimum body size:sensor size, ratio on the market.

-Matt

So smaller and lighter will always win? Tell that to people buying SUV's.

Actually I'd tell people buying SUV's that they are jerks.  I waste my petrol in an AMG32 SLK which is of course a far superior way of squandering the earth's resources!

And I don't agree that cell phones are getting smaller and lighter. My first cell phone was the size of a candy bar. Now I carry one that is much larger than that. So no, I don't think they are getting smaller and lighter.

This is true and a very unfortunate trend IMHO.  I really don't understand how we are supposed to fit phones like the Galaxy S4 (taking one example) into our pockets, and as for the 'Note' range (and similar from other manufactures)... words fail me

They are getting larger because that is the only way to make them more capable (larger screen, more buttons, larger battery, etc.).

No, it's not that.  The small Sony Xperia Arc was just as capable in most respcts as the bigger Xperia phones of the same generation and offered a similar size battery capacity.  My tiny Nokia 700 was every bit as capable as the much bigger Nokia 701 (rather more so in some respects) except for a deliberate hobbling of internal memory size and a deliberately undersized battery (marketing requirements to differentiate the two models)

There's no reason why the Galaxy S3 mini had to be so weak in comparison to the S3 just because of its size

The phone manufacturers are playing some psychological game by making the flagship phones so large, but I have no idea what it is

There is an optimal size for a device, and that size will be different depending on how you use a device. Smaller isn't always better. I have tried some of the really small mirrorless - to me too much of a compromise in useability. You may not agree.

No, I don't.  Nor I suspect will any NEX users on this forum

But DSLR's are still outselling mirrorless,

Partly because DSLR's do some things better and are more established systems (larger lens ranges etc) but also partly through customer ignorance and also a reportedly strange desire on some customers part to simply carry a big camera around to 'appear impressive'(!) and the desire to own somethin that 'looks like a real camera'

so I must not be the only person who is willing to carry a little bit larger device to get better ergonomics and functionality.

Sorry, but the point of NEX was to be small which is why most of us NEX owners bought into it

There are lots of large and capable SLR systems out there for you if you value those qualities, but there are very, very few small camera systems

Why are you telling us that the system we chose needs to change to be like all the other large systems just because you happen to like things that way?

Is there no space for diversity in the camera interchangeable-lens system marketplace?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads