What was your first camera ever that sparked your interest in photography?

Started Oct 16, 2013 | Discussions
jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,028
Re: What was your first camera ever that sparked your interest in photography?

Larry Berman wrote:

my first camera was the Pentax Spotmatic SP500 in 1971. My (soon to be ex) wife wanted it so I purchased it for her as a wedding present. When we divorced, she got the camera because I had already purchased a Nikon F2 and 85mm f1.8 lens, which it ended up shooting basketball with a few years later.

Thanks for the reply.  Those Spotmatics were great cameras!  My first SLR was an SP1000, a little later in the 1970's than yours.  I kept it along with a more comprehensive Praktica system I had built up, then finally gave it to a friend after I switched to a Contax system.  A lot of my favorite pictures to this day, though, were taken with that SP1000 and 55mm F/2 Takumar lens.

Jim Cassatt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,888
Argus C3 (nt)

nt

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
jnoll Regular Member • Posts: 144

Canon A1 Film. That camera took my virginity back in 1977.

jnoll's gear list:jnoll's gear list
Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +1 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,400
Kodak Brownie Starflash

No text.

Hemidart
Hemidart Senior Member • Posts: 2,069
Ricoh KR-5 I bought got in 1978 n/t
-- hide signature --

Proud owner of the Canon 5D MkI Classic.

Hemidart's gear list:Hemidart's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80 Canon EOS 5D Pentax K-50 Canon Pixma Pro-100
v steffel Senior Member • Posts: 1,289
Argus C3 Re: What was your first camera ever that sparked your interest in photography?

It was a great film camera for its time and I still have it.  It opened up new windows from the Kodak Brownie that my parents had.  Later I took apart the Brownie to see how it worked/

-- hide signature --

v steffel
frame frame! shoot shoot! sauvette!

v steffel's gear list:v steffel's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,309
Re: I had a Polaroid Swinger...

Glen Barrington wrote:

It was fun to use, I guess, but pretty expensive to operate on my limited budget at the time. I wonder if THAT was why I never managed to have as much fun as the people in the commercial.

Beer, cameras, whatever, NOBODY has as much fun as people in commercials.

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,309
Re: Kodak Starflash

Henry Falkner wrote:

Mine was a Kodak Starflash, a derivation of the Brownie concept, about 1958.

It had a 'meniscus' lens, two apertures, one shutter speed, a flashbulb socket in a reflector, and it used roll film for 4x4cm square camera originals.

Nifty little camera - my mom had one. I had an earlier TLR version in black called the Starmite.

JoeNapa
JoeNapa Forum Member • Posts: 82

I found a my dad's rangefinder in the garage.  It was  a Yashica Lynx.

JoeNapa's gear list:JoeNapa's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,612

The first camera I owned was a little plastic job, probably made in Hong Kong which most trinkets like that were in the early sixties. I can't remember the make, probably not one if the memorable camera makers, more probably a toy company. It cost 4/6p which is 19p Uk or about 50c US. I forget which size film it took but the negs were about one inch square. It only had one aperture and shutter speed but I managed to get decent, if not small, prints from it. The lens was probably plastic. If I forgot to wind on after the shot I got a double exposure which could be fun. My first serious camera and SLR was my Pentax Spotmatic which was a great camera. In fact I believe that a lot of cameras today don't do a much better job than that one did. We just have more bells and whistles today!

JulesJ

Alleg1 wrote:

A Kodak Brownie 127, a birthday present when I was 8...first "serious" camera, a Kodak Retina 2a.

That was my elder brothers first  camera. I loved it and in the 80's or so I started to buy them in markets in London. I now have a shelf with about fifty if them on it! I have posted a picture of them on DPR in the past, and will again if requested.

Jules

JulesJ

Larry Berman wrote:

Ok sorry.

my first camera was the Pentax Spotmatic SP500 in 1971. My (soon to be ex) wife wanted it so I purchased it for her as a wedding present. When we divorced, she got the camera because I had already purchased a Nikon F2 and 85mm f1.8 lens, which it ended up shooting basketball with a few years later.

Similar story here too Larry. I went from the Spotmatic to a couple of Nikon FE2s. I use Canon now but that's another story, my wife uses Nikon!

JulesJ

Edwaste wrote:

It wasn't a camera that sparked my interest. It was reading LIFE, LOOK, and National Geographic as a youngster. The LIFE magazine issue featuring the Zapruder images really clinched it. That was almost 50 years ago.

To say a camera could spark interest in photography is an indication that it's not creating or capturing images that interests a person...but a love for gadgets. Nothing wrong with that, but the camera lust comes after the love of photography.

I remember my dad passed on his twin lens reflex Rollie to me. He had bought it when in the a Royal Navy and stationed in Palestine when he was out there 'Trying to stop the Arabs and Jews killing each other' as he put it. He said he paid the equivalent of about £9 ( 18US$ ) for it. i eventually dropped it and it wouldn't focus any more. That was sad.

JulesJ
Re: Kodak Instamatic

Dennis wrote:

My Dad's Kodak Instamatic (126 cartridge camera).

It was awesome ! It was kept in a plastic hard shell case with red flocking. It had a big knob on the top that you'd wind up for spring loaded film advance that sounded so cool after each shot. And flash cubes ! It didn't get any better than that.

Then I bought my own camera. A Kodak 110 with a dual lens - move a slide to switch between wide angle and tele. And instead of rotating flash bulbs, it used flash strips with 10 flashes per strip !

The gold old days

I had one of those, was it the 50 or more advanced 100 with the pop up flash. I still have examples of those.

JulesJ
Re: had a Kodak Instamatic 304

jess shudup wrote:

The model just below the one with auto film advance. But it used flash cubes, and had a selenium light sensor, although I wonder how much it was adjusting anything...

But it was better than my Brownie Starmite !

What really got me started though was the Kodak book "How to Make Good Pictures".

A late-50's edition, it was filled with good- better- best photos of numerous subjects. It was my first "tutorial" for composition, cropping, exposure, and basic photography. From age ten, I'm still at it.

Those were the days !

I remember as a lad when first getting into photography if dreaming of owning a camera that would have a fast enough shutter speed to stop say water thrown up into the air. I later did it with an old bellows film camera with a 250th of a second shutter speed. It was amazing seeing the print come up in the darkroom.  Can you imagine any camera buyer now getting excited about having a fast shutter speed and what they could do with it. My brother and I tried to mimic the Salvador Dali shot if cats, and water and things in the air if you know it. Our cats survived and no animals were harmed in the experiment! but do photographers get excited about what their cameras can do today. I sort of somehow think we all take their features for granted and not use them to their limits experimentally any more. Photography should be a lot of fun. Shooting your friend in a bar with a drink seems to be the limit of mist young people on FaceBook nowadays. It's not photography as we know it captain!

Beach Bum Senior Member • Posts: 1,055
My first colonoscopy camera...

After I saw it in action, I couldn't help but fall in love. It touched me and reached me in ways that even my girlfriend can't.

rovingtim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,644
Kodak Brownie box camera

Mine looked like this:

Charles Wass Regular Member • Posts: 230

My interest in photography was not sparked by a camera, but by looking at photographs by famous photographers, so I bought a serious camera - the Canon F1.

Charlie

Charles Wass Regular Member • Posts: 230
Re: Sony F-717

The Sony F-707 was my first digital camera, bought after friends encouraged me to move over to digital after 30 years of using SLRs.  It was a highly original design and the camera was much praised at the time.  I am surprised that the folding design was not carried forward more than a few years, as in my view it was the camera's best feature.

Charlie

Apollo18
Apollo18 Senior Member • Posts: 1,317
Pentax MX

After all, who needs batteries.

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads