Spec comparison: Fuji X 55-200 vs. EOS-M 55-250

Started Oct 14, 2013 | Discussions
WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,021
Spec comparison: Fuji X 55-200 vs. EOS-M 55-250

I've been thinking about a Fuji system for a while. Was planning on getting a used XM1 until the whole XM1/XA1 controversy kicked up.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'll just still with my little EOS-M a while.

I compared the Fuji 55-200 vs. the Canon 55-250 STM. I liked the comparison so much, I went ahead and ordered the STM.

Attribute: Fuji vs Canon

• Focal length equivalent: 84-305 vs 88-400: Canon gets more reach on the long end, same on the wide end
  • Aperture: 3.5-4.8 vs. 4.0-5.6: Fuji has a brighter aperture by 1/2 stop+
  • Min Focus Distance: 1.1m vs. .85m: for me, closer is always better, so the Canon wins here
  • Max Mag: .18x vs. .29x: Again, nicer on the Canon
  • Ap. blades: 7 vs. 7: Of course, that doesn't really tell you the bokeh. I'll have to look for samples
  • Filter size: 62mm vs. 58mm: for me, personally, I already have 58mm filters, as my other canon lenses are mostly 58mm
  • Size (DxL): 75x188mm vs. 70x111mm. That's a pretty sizable difference on length. Also, if I remember the Canon 55-250, there is minimal zoom creep because the front element isn't that heavy
  • Weight: 580g vs 375g: that's a huge difference for walking about in the Canon's favor
  • Price: $699 vs $349. That's a lot of savings.

Fuji has a more "consumer" oriented zoom lens on their roadmap, but it's not out yet, and it has an even smaller aperture

I read on Canonrumors that there might not be any more Canon announcements this year, but if they released an M2 w/the 70D PDAF, this kind of lens would simply rock on that body.

I get the lens tomorrow, and will try to get some samples to post either in this thread or one of the other 55-250 STM threads.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +1 more
Jefenator
Jefenator Senior Member • Posts: 2,402
Re: Spec comparison: Fuji X 55-200 vs. EOS-M 55-250

Hope you got an adapter for your new lens. The EF-S 55-250 should work work quite nicely on your EOS-M body but not without that extra bit of hardware.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Canon EOS M +3 more
OP WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,021

Yeah, I got one last week to try the 40mm lens. I like the 40mm lens, but not sure what to do with a 64mm eq FL, so I thought I'd try the 55-250 instead.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +1 more
Tim McClanahan
Tim McClanahan Regular Member • Posts: 170

One of the rumored upcoming lenses is an EF-M telezoom; most people seem to assume it'll be an EF-M version of the 55-250. I hope that's true; I'd love an EF-M-size version of that lens. I have the older EF-S non-STM version of the lens, but I'm not tempted to upgrade just to get the STM version of the EF-S; I'll hold off until the EF-M telezoom arrives.

Tim McClanahan's gear list:Tim McClanahan's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EOS 550D +8 more
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,154

WT21 wrote:

I've been thinking about a Fuji system for a while. Was planning on getting a used XM1 until the whole XM1/XA1 controversy kicked up.

I compared the Fuji 55-200 vs. the Canon 55-250 STM. I liked the comparison so much, I went ahead and ordered the STM.

Since you already have a EOS-M, buying a 55-250 STM makes a lot of sense if you are trying to avoid committing a lot of money into a system.

I am in a similar situation:  $500 for an EOS-M bundle w/ EF adapter is a lot cheaper than buying a XM-1 and two to three lens.

My EOS-M bundle should arrive on Wednesday and I am renting a 55-250 STM the day after.  It'll be interesting to see how well the 55-250 stacks up optically against my old 70-200/2.8L IS II on the APS-C sensor.

I plan on renting a Fuji-X body and a couple of lens later on to see how they stack optically with the Canon offerings.  Ultimately need to decide when to invest heavily into a mirrorless system and I am curious to see how well the Fuji lens are.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +48 more

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

WT21 wrote:

Since you already have a EOS-M, buying a 55-250 STM makes a lot of sense if you are trying to avoid committing a lot of money into a system.

I am in a similar situation: $500 for an EOS-M bundle w/ EF adapter is a lot cheaper than buying a XM-1 and two to three lens.

My EOS-M bundle should arrive on Wednesday and I am renting a 55-250 STM the day after. It'll be interesting to see how well the 55-250 stacks up optically against my old 70-200/2.8L IS II on the APS-C sensor.

I plan on renting a Fuji-X body and a couple of lens later on to see how they stack optically with the Canon offerings. Ultimately need to decide when to invest heavily into a mirrorless system and I am curious to see how well the Fuji lens are.

I have rented/owned several of the Fujis (XPro 1 -- too big for me, XE1 -- still a bit big, but a nice camera. XM1 -- the closest comparison to the EOS-M).

IMO, the 22mm Canon is a saving grace. The Fuji 27/2.8 is not in the same class as the 22mm Canon. Doesn't open as wide. Not as sharp. Not great bokeh. Flare issues. No starbursts at small apertures. I think the colors are equal, though different.

I like the touch screen on the EOS. Then there's the price. Everything else, IMO, is better on the Fuji XM/XA body -- faster camera, more control points, faster AF, etc. But you do need to try both, because so much is personal.

I did handle the 55-200 at my local camera store, and it's pretty darn big and heavy, at least when on a body like the XM or XA.

tomtom50 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,244

People on the forum have tried the 55-250 STM on the EOS-m (with adapter, obviously) and they report it works really well, with AF comparable to the kit zoom.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
Marcos Villaroman Veteran Member • Posts: 5,154

WT21 wrote:

I have rented/owned several of the Fujis (XPro 1 -- too big for me, XE1 -- still a bit big, but a nice camera. XM1 -- the closest comparison to the EOS-M).

IMO, the 22mm Canon is a saving grace. The Fuji 27/2.8 is not in the same class as the 22mm Canon. Doesn't open as wide. Not as sharp. Not great bokeh. Flare issues. No starbursts at small apertures. I think the colors are equal, though different.

I like the touch screen on the EOS. Then there's the price. Everything else, IMO, is better on the Fuji XM/XA body -- faster camera, more control points, faster AF, etc. But you do need to try both, because so much is personal.

I did handle the 55-200 at my local camera store, and it's pretty darn big and heavy, at least when on a body like the XM or XA.

Thanks for sharing your impressions on the Fuji-X system.  As of now, my only experience with Fuji is my X100S which I really love using.  I did have to add an expensive adapter plate and grip from ReallyRightStuff to make it handle the way I want it to.

I look forward to seeing how everyday shooting with the EOS-M and 22 compares to the X100S.

Before buying the X100S, I rented the EOS-M.  It had the older firmware.  I couldn't get past the really slow AF and I didn't spend enough time learning how to adapt to the touch screen.

Having read a lot of positive reviews about the EOS-M since the firmware update, I decided to give it another chance.  Even if I have to limit the EF lens I use with it due to size/weight, the EOS-M should be a lot better than my current m43 setup (Panasonic GF5, 14-42 power zoom, 20mm pancake, 45-200).

Really small camera bodies with large lens seems to be a problem for some people.  I've noticed such comments about the Olympus EM-5 as being too small or too big, depending on the lens attached to it.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +48 more

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

WT21 wrote:

Thanks for sharing your impressions on the Fuji-X system. As of now, my only experience with Fuji is my X100S which I really love using. I did have to add an expensive adapter plate and grip from ReallyRightStuff to make it handle the way I want it to.

I look forward to seeing how everyday shooting with the EOS-M and 22 compares to the X100S.

Before buying the X100S, I rented the EOS-M. It had the older firmware. I couldn't get past the really slow AF and I didn't spend enough time learning how to adapt to the touch screen.

Having read a lot of positive reviews about the EOS-M since the firmware update, I decided to give it another chance. Even if I have to limit the EF lens I use with it due to size/weight, the EOS-M should be a lot better than my current m43 setup (Panasonic GF5, 14-42 power zoom, 20mm pancake, 45-200).

Really small camera bodies with large lens seems to be a problem for some people. I've noticed such comments about the Olympus EM-5 as being too small or too big, depending on the lens attached to it.

If you only want that focal length, then maybe the X100s is the answer! I was thinking the interchangeable cameras. I heard the X100s is a great camera. I tried the X100, but it was too fiddle and slow for the price at the time. The EOS-M is also fiddly and slow, but cheap!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads