+++YOU AND YOUR M43 - WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN UP TO THIS WEEK?+++

Started Oct 12, 2013 | Discussions
GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
Re: Urban rambles

FrankS009 wrote:

These are from a ramble around town last week-end. They were taken with a G1 and 14-45 mm lens. Comments welcome of course.

F.

Symbols of Sudbury Ontario - Canadian Pacific Railway that links the country together, and the big stack for nickel refining.

Good symbols of YSB.   How/why did you soften the above?

t

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
GeorgianBay1939
Re: Side light

gene thomson wrote:

Thanks for your comment, Tom. While cropping certainly can improve composition, I usually take all my images in 16:9 ratio because that is what my monitor screen is, and I like to see a full screen without black bars (just my preference). If I do crop, I still try to keep about the same 16:9 aspect ratio. Your suggestion for a square image interested me, since I took countless square images with my Rolleiflex TLR many years ago. Thus, I followed your suggestion and came up with the following. It certainly seems better from a compositional standpoint.

Never thought of using 16:9 for that reason.  My traditional photog friends are 3:2 all the way and tend not to "like" 16:9, although one guy, a retired architect, has access to big printers and does his own mounting and framing.... resulting in aspect ratios that fit the composition.  I have learned a lot about cropping from him.... and now tend to think "outside the box" ... at least sometimes ... when it comes to framing, composing.  With my GH2 I selected AR in the camera.  With my other MFT camera(s) I just leave it on 4:3 and crop later.

By the way, thank you showing the crop of your original.  To me it tends to lend a little more drama to that blossom.

Nicely done.

Tom

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
GeorgianBay1939
Re: Autumn is coming

Great sense of texture!  NICE!

t

FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,169
Re: Urban rambles

I saw the stack and the train coming and ran to try to get a shot of the two together. But I was still a long way back when I had to shoot. So this image is a substantial crop of the original.

F.

FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,169
Re: What a shower

Enjoy these. Am getting a GX7 but not giving away my GF1. Am pretty good at over-exposing with it though.

F.

PaulChapman
PaulChapman Contributing Member • Posts: 986

I would be interested in comparisons of the GF1 and GX7 in terms of exposure and blown highlights. GX7 is much better at higher ISO...but then I generally use base ISO. I gave my GF1 away....don't do it!

GeorgianBay1939

PaulChapman wrote:

Been practicing using my shiny new GX7/Voigtlander 25mm/f0.95 on the end of a pole and wifiing to a tablet....need more practice before a big trip in a couple of weeks time.

SNIP

PS the upward folding GX7 EVF is quite nice to use and you can hold the camera close to your chest. GX7 blows the highlights though.

and then the shower....not very clear this one but rounding the corner came a BSA and bath tub..

And the verdict on the GX7 after a couple of weeks.... I'll be looking for another GF1 since it doesn't overexpose itself so much. GX7 has all the bells and whistles...but no soul.

What??? double-decker buses have been exported Canada .... but motorized bath tubs??? especially for goggled passengers with no helmet???  I guess that we colonials have something to look forward to.   The boffins might want to thinks about putting the rigs on skis for Canadian Winter transportation.

What exposure mode are you using with the GX7?  I found that in two days of shooting mainly M(anual) Mode I had few exposure issues.  Maybe less challenging conditions?

See http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3558939

I'd appreciate your advice.

Many thanks,

tom

klythawk
klythawk Contributing Member • Posts: 628
Re: Going to miss these guys....

Michael L NYC 99 wrote:

klythawk wrote:

Probably the last time i'll see these guys this year, going to miss them. E-M5/Pany100-300mm

Thanks for looking,

John.

Nice and sharp! I would perhaps frame or crop the dragonfly closing to center.

Thanks for the encouragement Michael, never know with wildlife shots wether to frame centrally or compose to the rule of thirds.

klythawk's gear list:klythawk's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 +7 more
PaulChapman
PaulChapman Contributing Member • Posts: 986

This is Bristol....Bristol as in the west country and where John Cabot's boat still sails in memory of when he discovered Canada by mistake. As for the GX7 exposure... Use Aperture Priority and have done for decades. Never had so much in the way of blowing highlights before.. GF1, M9 etc.. These days I shoot in RAW. Maybe I am expecting too much...but I may get another GF1 for when the going gets tough. In the meantime I will dial in some exposure compensation.

savonie
savonie Senior Member • Posts: 2,400
Re:Everlast and Norman McLeod

Here is tug Everlast 'In the notch' with non powered barge Norman Mcleod at the Sun Oil dock in Sarnia Ontario-

Monty

savonie's gear list:savonie's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 5,134

t, thank you. I have only had the EM5 for a little while, but it is certainly great fun to use.

Peter Del

Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
kgwhite
kgwhite Veteran Member • Posts: 5,496
Re: Out & About

Absolutely beautiful. I can just about smell the crisp air and see the fish jumping.

kgwhite

Very nice series. Autumn color is something we don't see much of here in San Antonio. Today is mid 80s F and humid. The first and last images are my favorites.

Hen3ry
OP Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
Beautiful pic, hawk

With one limitation. I don’t know how much time you had, of course, but this looks like a case of needing to set the focus focus (sic!) off-center so you could focus on the little beastie's eye and get more of beastie and less of background.

Fair comment?

Of coiurse, I hasten to add that I've never taken a dragon fly pic that would hold a candle to this, and I've tried!

That longer lens (my longest is the 40-150) is on my shopping list. I keep seeing very good results using it and you’ve added another one.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
kgwhite
Re: On the street

Thanks. The old gentleman read with fire and brimstone in his breath. In the original image you can easily read the entire page from Genesis.

Edward Lowy
Edward Lowy Regular Member • Posts: 214
Re: French Cinema

LincolnB wrote:

LOVE that first shot. Fantastic use of light and subject.

Here, here. Inspired.

Edward Lowy's gear list:Edward Lowy's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus PEN E-PL2 +4 more
Hen3ry
OP Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
An adventure in your backyard - right on. 1939

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Great "postcard' image.

What is the material spewed? Water? Particulates? Gases? What do you get when in a boat downwind from the volcano? If the wind changes to direct the effluent towards a population are inhabitants evacuated?

Cool adventure in your back yard!

Thanks for the compliment -- it is EXACTLY a postcard image. We’ve had a really daggy dry season this year with lots of overcast days and bits of rain and stuff and lots of humidity haze. This was an exceptional day with the humidity quite significantly lower and the haze drastically reduced. We should have had day after day after day like that but it just didn't happen.

There are two prevailing wind according to the season:

* South-east in the dry season (now, although it is starting to switch) which takes the plume over Rabaul town (immediately adjacent to the voclano) and away from where I was shooting, Kokopo (about 20km as the plume drifts from the volcano).

* North-west in the wet season (the north-west monsoon) which brings the plume over Kokopo (the new capital of the province since the volcanoes wiped out/made uninhabitable about 90% of Rabaul town when they erupted in 1994). hopefully, the plume is high by the time it reaches Kokopo, but that is not always the case. I was sitting in an outdoor restaurant in Kokopo one day last wet season and was checking the menu for lunch when we were enveloped by a cloud of "rotten egg" (sulphurous) gas. Lunch went off my personal menu for a while! The other problem is that the airport (relocated away from Rabaul after 1994) is another 15 km or so south-east of the volcanoes so if these burps and belches continue into the west season, the airport is going to be closed for extended periods. And we are on an island! You see the implications!

What's coming out of Tavurvur is a mix of gases. Sulphur is high in the mix, water vapor, of course. But also find ash -- of various degrees of fineness. It is very irritating, acidic, and sharp and abrasive. You don’t wipe it off, it will scratch everything, you very lightly brush it off or wash it off. It is also very fine and very light so it gets in everywhere and the slightest stirring of a breeze gets up a dust cloud.

Some thousands of people are living in the plume zone -- many with very strong ancestral ties to the land and others who just hope that the volcanoes will quieten (as they did for quite a few years after the big one in 1994) and Rabaul town will live again (in the 1950s, James Michener called it the most beauitful town in the South Pacific). I told some friends of mine -- attracted to the area by ancestral ties -- that they had to move out NOW or expect to be suffering emphysema in their middle age in 20 years' time. They got the message and moved. There are areas these people can move to.

They had a festival in Rabaul in mid-September to celebrate the end of the 1994 eruptions. On the second day of it, the ash in the air was so bad that when I was standing next to a building with light, uniformly colored walls, I could actually see little rocks floating through the air! I kid you not! I was supposed to be photographing some bands. Phooey! I jumped on the first bus with an empty seat and fled to Kokopo.

Having said all that, it is a fascinating place -- which is why I am here -- and well worth a visit. Just bring your dust mask with you for a Rabaul town component of the visit. Seriously.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
klythawk
Re: Beautiful pic, hawk

Hen3ry wrote:

With one limitation. I don’t know how much time you had, of course, but this looks like a case of needing to set the focus focus (sic!) off-center so you could focus on the little beastie's eye and get more of beastie and less of background.

Fair comment?

Of coiurse, I hasten to add that I've never taken a dragon fly pic that would hold a candle to this, and I've tried!

That longer lens (my longest is the 40-150) is on my shopping list. I keep seeing very good results using it and you’ve added another one.

Cheers, geoff

Thanks for the kind comment Geoff, in fact I was trying to focus on the darters eye, but wasn't using a tripod. Have the E-M1 on order, so hopefully the smaller focus boxes should help. Really do love the 100-300mm, use it more though spring and summer than my macro lenses, and always hand held, although I have just invested in a tripod (benro2682B1) which also converts into a monopod, should be quite useful for wildlife shots.

Edward Lowy
Edward Lowy Regular Member • Posts: 214
Trying to have some time with my new E-P5!

A lot to experiment with, a lot to learn.

Funky iPhone charger left on our black granite surface

Lovely Autumn colour and contrast in the garden

Love the 60 mm Macro

Thanks for looking

Edward

Edward Lowy's gear list:Edward Lowy's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus PEN E-PL2 +4 more
klythawk

Smashing series, very nice detail in the last pic.

John.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads