Daylightviewer for cellphone

Started Oct 10, 2013 | Discussions
TonyGamble Veteran Member • Posts: 3,013
Daylightviewer for cellphone

I am often still defeated when I try to take a picture with my Samsung S4 phone.

I feel like a chump with it stuck out at arm's length and I struggle to hold it steady to get the shot I have already composed in my mind.

I spotted this device:-

http://www.daylightviewfinder.com/

Snag is it only for the iPhone.

I am told by the developer that an Android version will exist by Christmas.

In case anyone around here is interested I have emailed a link to this post so the developer can tell us here.

Tony

fishycomics Contributing Member • Posts: 773
Re: Daylightviewer for cellphone

that is so cool. love to TEST one out

pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,866

Wow! Only one problem. You have now made your iPhone as big as many of the mirror-less cameras. Will we soon be carrying our iPhone in a camera bag with all the accessories.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 23,979

pavi1 wrote:

Wow! Only one problem. You have now made your iPhone as big as many of the mirror-less cameras. Will we soon be carrying our iPhone but a camera bag with all the accessories.

-

Exactly.  Who wants to keep dragging out a VF accessory to attach every time you take a picture?

OP TonyGamble Veteran Member • Posts: 3,013

OK, two negatives.

So how do you guys frame and take pictures on your phones?

Do you hold them at arm's length (or even half bended arm's length) ?

Do you never have problems with sunlight on the screen?

Are you never concerned that the cellphone will not move and blur an otherwise potentially sharp image?

Let's have the advice of the experienced, please.

Tony

pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,866

TonyGamble wrote:

OK, two negatives.

So how do you guys frame and take pictures on your phones?

I don't really take anything important with my iPhone. My D300S is for that. Most pictures with the iPhone are for text message of Facebook.

Like today at the jogging trail.

What is this? Sent to brother-in-law.

1/935s f2.4 Is this all the iPhone can do? Why did it pick those settings on a bright day.

If, and I don't, wanted a good picture of that car, my D300S was 100' away.

When someone hands me their business card I will take a picture of it and insert the picture into the business cards folder on my iPhone. I then put the card in a card holder at home.

Do you hold them at arm's length (or even half bended arm's length) ?

Unless I have my reading glasses on, I will be at arm's length. If I happen to have reading glasses, I can hold the phone a little closer. Biggest problem with mirrorless cameras and the electronic viewfinder is reading glasses necessary to see the viewfinder clearly.

Do you never have problems with sunlight on the screen?

It was cloudy today but I could barely tell the car was in the center of the frame. Not much chance of doing close framing on a sunny day. Probably not much chance of doing close framing ever with the camera at arm's length

Are you never concerned that the cellphone will not move and blur an otherwise potentially sharp image?

It pretty much always moves and blurs if the shutter speed is not fast enough.

Let's have the advice of the experienced, please.

Tony

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Thanks Pav,

You have the same problems as me then.

It staggers me that nobody has come up with a good idea yet.

I had 60 people to a 'fancy dress party' last night. I employed a pro to cover the event but I must have my picture taken six times on phones or camera with no viewfinder. Everyone struggled. The shots will be rubbish compared with if they had some form of viewfinder.

I am not suggested the Daylight Viewer is the solution - but there must be a fortune waiting to be made by the man who finds one.

Tony

TonyGamble wrote:

Thanks Pav,

You have the same problems as me then.

It staggers me that nobody has come up with a good idea yet.

I had 60 people to a 'fancy dress party' last night. I employed a pro to cover the event but I must have my picture taken six times on phones or camera with no viewfinder. Everyone struggled. The shots will be rubbish compared with if they had some form of viewfinder.

I am not suggested the Daylight Viewer is the solution - but there must be a fortune waiting to be made by the man who finds one.

Tony

Was this an indoor event with little ambient light?

The party was indoors in the evening.

There would have been plenty of light for my GH2 without flash if I'd wanted to use it. My pro used flash - and so did 50% of the people using phones or pocket p&s cameras.

Tony

TonyGamble wrote:

The party was indoors in the evening.

There would have been plenty of light for my GH2 without flash if I'd wanted to use it. My pro used flash - and so did 50% of the people using phones or pocket p&s cameras.

Tony

Even with flash, cell phone cameras won't be very good in low light.  Some point & shoots will give ok results, some won't.

"Even with flash, cell phone cameras won't be very good in low light. Some point & shoots will give ok results, some won't."

Thank you Mark. I know that .

Can I have your observations about viewfinders as an altenative to trying to compose on the back screen, please?

Tony

TonyGamble wrote:

"Even with flash, cell phone cameras won't be very good in low light. Some point & shoots will give ok results, some won't."

Thank you Mark. I know that .

Can I have your observations about viewfinders as an altenative to trying to compose on the back screen, please?

Tony

Yes...it would make a cell phone just as bulky as a point 'n shoot, nor would I want to carry accessories for my cell phone...so I don't see the point.  Sorry.

Thanks Mark,

So you never have problems composing a picture holding the phone so you can see the back screen?

How do you manage?

Tony

TonyGamble wrote:

Thanks Mark,

So you never have problems composing a picture holding the phone so you can see the back screen?

How do you manage?

Tony

I don't use it for important shots, that's what I have the DSLR for   Even if I happen to be using it outside, I've never noticed that it was that big of a deal.

Mark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads