updated lens roadmap...

Started Oct 8, 2013 | Discussions
miles green
miles green Veteran Member • Posts: 6,456
Re: I like the deep purple of FA Ltds

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

I think that purple ring on updated FA Ltds would be quite cute.

That update would make "some smoke on Pentax waters", and raised fire in the sky

Lol Zvonimir.

I would rather have a 20mm and a 135mm FA ltd, rather than the same ones with a deep purple band.

Maybe next year would make more sense? 

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +8 more
Peter Budd
Peter Budd Senior Member • Posts: 1,057
Re: updated lens roadmap...

MightyMike wrote:

Peter Budd wrote:

SHood wrote:

I wonder what Pentax has planned for the Tele-zoom. From the map it looks like it could cover most of 100-400mm. I presume this would be f4-5.6 and compete against similar offerings from Canon, Nikon and Sony.

-- hide signature --

I think you are right on this , but personally I would prefer a constant F4 and WR.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Are you ready to pay $10,000 for it? Really? Constant F4? yes I'd like that too but let some reality sink in before you drool!

No , because it would not be that much IMO. I would pay around £2500 for it though.  As I would jump at the Sigma 120-300 F2.8 at a similar price £2800 in the UK if it was available in pentax K mount.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Peter Budd's gear list:Peter Budd's gear list
Nikon D810 Olympus E-PL7 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +16 more
Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,805

MightyMike wrote:

Peter Budd wrote:

SHood wrote:

I wonder what Pentax has planned for the Tele-zoom. From the map it looks like it could cover most of 100-400mm. I presume this would be f4-5.6 and compete against similar offerings from Canon, Nikon and Sony.

I think you are right on this , but personally I would prefer a constant F4 and WR.

Are you ready to pay $10,000 for it? Really? Constant F4? yes I'd like that too but let some reality sink in before you drool!

Only $10,000? I'll have 2!

Canon charge £10,000 for their 200-400mm f/4, although admittedly that has a built-in 1.4 teleconverter!

Such a lens would weight more than 3 kilograms, and have a front element more than 100mm across. Perhaps it would take internal filters, like the Sigma 500 f/4.5.

(I suspect from the roadmap that it would be more like 140-350mm. And since it has never been a DA* lens on the roadmap, I doubt if it will be a constant f-number. But I would now expect HD and WR).

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 ED AS UMC +16 more
Barry Pearson
Re: Tele zoom?

miles green wrote:

Any news on the tele-zoom?

The Canon 100-400 is a nice lens despite its age. To place the K3 amongst the wildlife contenders (as Thom suggests) Pentax ABSOLUTELY needs a weather sealed DA* 100-400-ish lens (or that TC, but we said that already).

The 560 sure is nice but due to budget is simply isn't an option for most of us.

If the 1.4x TC works on the 60-250mm and the 300mm, I probably won't need such a lens.

(I already have the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 and a 1.4x TC that works with it).

Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 ED AS UMC +16 more
brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337

MightyMike wrote:

Peter Budd wrote:

SHood wrote:

FWIW: The Nikon 200-400mm f4 VRII is listed at BHPhotovideo at $6749. IIRC: The earlier VR version was listed at about $5700.

I would expect a Pentax 200-400mm f4 to be a similar price.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,012

Peter Budd wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Peter Budd wrote:

SHood wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

No , because it would not be that much IMO. I would pay around £2500 for it though. As I would jump at the Sigma 120-300 F2.8 at a similar price £2800 in the UK if it was available in pentax K mount.

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

How much does a Nikon or Canon 200-400mm F4 cost??? now add an extra 100mm to the wide end and increase the price some more. Wake Up!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Barry Pearson wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

Peter Budd wrote:

SHood wrote:

Only $10,000? I'll have 2!

Canon charge £10,000 for their 200-400mm f/4, although admittedly that has a built-in 1.4 teleconverter!

Such a lens would weight more than 3 kilograms, and have a front element more than 100mm across. Perhaps it would take internal filters, like the Sigma 500 f/4.5.

(I suspect from the roadmap that it would be more like 140-350mm. And since it has never been a DA* lens on the roadmap, I doubt if it will be a constant f-number. But I would now expect HD and WR).

I see i was being nice with the $10,000 figure, I wouldn't mind seeing a 120-360mm F4 but i doubt that would happen. But I also might consider a 100-350mm F3.5-5.0.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

SHood Veteran Member • Posts: 5,013

Peter Budd wrote:

SHood wrote:

I wonder what Pentax has planned for the Tele-zoom.  From the map it looks like it could cover most of 100-400mm.  I presume this would be f4-5.6 and compete against similar offerings from Canon, Nikon and Sony.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Pentax will have a challenge competing with the existing competitor lenses.  The new Nikon 80-400mm @ 400mm is already sharper than Pentax's 300mm f4 (even after stopping down).  Pentax really needs a prime like IQ with this zoom.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/(lens1)/1130/(lens2)/694/(brand1)/Nikkor/(camera1)/865/(brand2)/Pentax/(camera2)/0

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro

SHood wrote:

Peter Budd wrote:

SHood wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Pentax will have a challenge competing with the existing competitor lenses. The new Nikon 80-400mm @ 400mm is already sharper than Pentax's 300mm f4 (even after stopping down). Pentax really needs a prime like IQ with this zoom.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/(lens1)/1130/(lens2)/694/(brand1)/Nikkor/(camera1)/865/(brand2)/Pentax/(camera2)/0

-- hide signature --

Totally invalid!!!! the score was artificially higher as the pixel count was higher...

Reality check!

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/%28lens1%29/1130/%28lens2%29/694/%28brand1%29/Nikkor/%28camera1%29/680/%28brand2%29/Pentax/%28camera2%29/0

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 8,700
Re: HD, WR....

miles green wrote:

kitsios_spyros wrote:

miles green wrote:

Looks like many lens are getting HD treatment, and some are getting WR.

I wonder if compared to SMC, HD coating is both better and cheaper to produce!?

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

HD sounds consumer friendly nomenclature so it may not be the best of their coatings.

Yes they do have a better one, they use on a few DA* and 645 lens. I forget the name. I wish the 560 HD were a little more consumer friendly!

The HD is indeed not their best coating, that would be Aero Bright Coating; but it appears to be almost as good (and better than SMC).

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more

MightyMike wrote:

SHood wrote:

Peter Budd wrote:

SHood wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Peter
GMT

Pentax will have a challenge competing with the existing competitor lenses. The new Nikon 80-400mm @ 400mm is already sharper than Pentax's 300mm f4 (even after stopping down). Pentax really needs a prime like IQ with this zoom.

-- hide signature --

Totally invalid!!!! the score was artificially higher as the pixel count was higher...

Reality check!

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/%28lens1%29/1130/%28lens2%29/694/%28brand1%29/Nikkor/%28camera1%29/680/%28brand2%29/Pentax/%28camera2%29/0

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

The sharpness score is still about the same for both lenses.  The prime should do better than this.

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 4,580
Re: On the Ltd zoom and the long zoom....

One thing that is mentioned every time a Pentax FF comes up is how many new lenses they'd need to create to be a viable system. It would certainly be quicker to come up with a couple of zooms rather than a whole family of primes. Maybe this is the wide angle FF zoom?

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +5 more
Petroglyph
Petroglyph Veteran Member • Posts: 6,051

miles green wrote:

The Canon 100-400 is a nice lens despite its age. To place the K3 amongst the wildlife contenders (as Thom suggests) Pentax ABSOLUTELY needs a weather sealed DA* 100-400-ish lens (or that TC, but we said that already).

The 560 sure is nice but due to budget is simply isn't an option for most of us.

Tamron puts a K-mount on the 200-500 and 900$ gets one close enough to the 560 given the K3 has SR.  The 100-400 WR lens would be sweet also but not cheap.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Rokinon 135mm F2.0 Samyang 20mm F1.8

The sharpness score is still about the same for both lenses. The prime should do better than this.

I've always found DXO's lens testing to have seriously flawed reasoning backed up by the fact that their results rarely agree with other more reputable testing websites.

So the 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 at 80mm F4.5 is as sharp as the 300mm F4.0...

So here is food for thought using DXO and your choice of comparison...

Look at the Nikon 500mm F4 G ED VR, it actually scores overall worse than the DA*300mm F4, its what 4 times the price? for an expensive high end prime it really should score higher you think? In fact in sharpness it scores the same as the 80-400mm, hmmm... bad testing and scoring methodology methinks! either that or all the 500mm F4 owners are seriously ripped off.

DXO has come up with a convoluted way of grading lenses that doesn't match anything in the history of testing lenses, and as a result doesn't match other websites evaluations of lenses at times.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

MightyMike wrote:

The sharpness score is still about the same for both lenses. The prime should do better than this.

I've always found DXO's lens testing to have seriously flawed reasoning backed up by the fact that their results rarely agree with other more reputable testing websites.

Look at the Nikon 500mm F4 G ED VR, it actually scores overall worse than the DA*300mm F4, its what 4 times the price? for an expensive high end prime it really should score higher you think? In fact in sharpness it scores the same as the 80-400mm, hmmm... bad testing and scoring methodology methinks! either that or all the 500mm F4 owners are seriously ripped off.

DXO has come up with a convoluted way of grading lenses that doesn't match anything in the history of testing lenses, and as a result doesn't match other websites evaluations of lenses at times.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Not sure what you were looking at but the Nikon 500mm F4 scored higher than both lenses, as would be expected for a prime.

-- hide signature --

SHood wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Not sure what you were looking at but the Nikon 500mm F4 scored higher than both lenses, as would be expected for a prime.

-- hide signature --

Look again (We're comparing these on 16mp APS-C sensors, You know a fair-ish place to start from for all lenses)

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Lenses/Compare-Camera-Lenses/Compare-lenses/%28lens1%29/1130/%28lens2%29/694/%28lens3%29/1174/%28brand1%29/Nikkor/%28camera1%29/680/%28brand2%29/Pentax/%28camera2%29/0/%28brand3%29/Nikkor/%28camera3%29/680

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Per Drud Nielsen Forum Member • Posts: 67

2013 or later: DA wide zoom. Could it be a Pentax-labeled Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8? Would so much like to include that one. Learned to know it by a Canon-friend...

-- hide signature --

PER DRUD NIELSEN

ChazSelf Forum Member • Posts: 88

miles green wrote:

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Corfu, Greece

I'd buy that one, if I didn't have to mortgage the house. Long ago, I had an early Tokina 80-400, but disliked its handling and its softness. Who needs a 400mm portrait lens? I sure didn't.

Barry Pearson

Per Drud Nielsen wrote:

2013 or later: DA wide zoom. Could it be a Pentax-labeled Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8? Would so much like to include that one. Learned to know it by a Canon-friend...

The line on the roadmap goes beyond 20mm. It is more like 12-28mm.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads