"Nikon's most lame new DSLR"

Started Oct 8, 2013 | Discussions
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,897
D600s at most, PR disaster

CFynn wrote:

PerL wrote:

Look at DXO marks. The second best sensor you can buy. The best lens system in existence together with Canon. An OVF that is sharper and gives a more natural image than any EVF. An AF system that despite it limitations outperforms any of the new breed of mirrorless cameras. The second most compact FF at an affordable price.

Exacly what is lame?

It is lame that they should have to release a D610 almost exactly the same as the previous D600 less than a year after the D600 release.

Clearly the D610 was released only to deal with the D600 oil/dust "issue". It is lame that they didn't catch that problem earlier and have ever only indirectly admitted it.

Sure the D600 is a great camera when it doesn't have that problem. The D610 is only what people expected when they bought the D600.

When I called the rumored camera a D600s many cried foul, I was being too harsh and we didn't even know exactly the specs. Well, I've learned to trust NR when they publish specs, it's 99% right. This actually is not an "s", even, at most a camera with a corrected flaw plus a firmware update. Despite being a great camera, it's a PR disaster, it surely is, I just can't believe Nikon has ben this inept. Something isvwrong with Nikon.

That said, i'll wait 6 months to try one, and may eventually get it, but surely the excitement is not with Nikon these days.

PS: I posted the Spanish site announcement believing it was fake, since it did not mention improved sealing and just the new silent mode, but they were right, it was legit.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
thomas2279f
thomas2279f Senior Member • Posts: 2,850
Re: "Nikon's most lame new DSLR"

Agree another turkey was the 10mp release of the D60 (10mp) which succeeded the 10mp D40x.

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Apple iPad WiFi +1 more
caspianm Senior Member • Posts: 2,386

Most likely the new shutter could not fit the D600 hence the D610. That was the scope of the project. Fitting the Nikon's high end focusing into the entry level and improved features????

All Nikon has been doing is to have products that edges the Canon's. Recall 6D had 9 focus point. I am glad they solved the dust issue if it actually has. Thom is wasting time or trying to increase site hits. There is nothing else can be accomplished at this stage. Seems like with every new Nikon there are more complains.

Yea it would have nice to have the D800 focusing, wiFi, sat and more in it for $2k but did not happened.  And there won't be such FF camera by any maker for a while.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Alpha a7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +14 more
Radu Tenenbaum
Radu Tenenbaum Senior Member • Posts: 2,886

kiirokurisu wrote:

Wow, Thom is really starting to sound incredibly bitter and dire. Anything for a few clicks eh? It takes years of study and experience to become an engineer, but anyone can pick up a keyboard and take a big dump all over that engineer's efforts. There's a critic born every minute...

Thom's article is not about engineering.  It's about corporate management's respect (or lack of) for their customers.   Bad things happen, it's inevitable.  It's how those issues are handled with an eye to customer satisfactions, that differentiates customers.

Right now the only slogan that makes sense for the D610 is "D600 that works".

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

Radu Tenenbaum's gear list:Radu Tenenbaum's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +10 more
Radu Tenenbaum
Radu Tenenbaum Senior Member • Posts: 2,886
D600w

D610 = D600 that (w)orks

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

Radu Tenenbaum's gear list:Radu Tenenbaum's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +10 more
SnappinOutdoors Junior Member • Posts: 42
Where are all the bigmouth naysayers?

This forum was filled with people laughing at this D610 rumor, calling D600 users with issues a bunch of whiners.  "Clean your sensors and move on!", they said.  "Nikon would never release a D600 replacement, because it's not necessary"... blah blah.

This is a major embarrassment to Nikon.... because indeed what they've done is release a hardly changed model as a direct replacement for a faulty model.  While scarcely publicly acknowledging that the D600 was flawed!!  That's the insane part. I really believe you may see a class action lawsuit.... not something I'd care about, but I can see it happening.

And folks, if this camera turns out to have a widespread QC issue of ANY variety.... the company is in trouble. I can't imagine it, because they must have tested this thing into the ground before release.

Leif Goodwin Senior Member • Posts: 1,390

Donald Chin wrote:

Actually he is complaining Nikon forcing him to write off all his D600 user guide books!
--
http://www.fotop.net/DonaldChin

Ha ha, yes, change all those D600 occurrences to D610.

-- hide signature --

Leif Goodwin's gear list:Leif Goodwin's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +4 more
brunobarolo Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Re: Where are all the bigmouth naysayers?

SnappinOutdoors wrote:

This forum was filled with people laughing at this D610 rumor, calling D600 users with issues a bunch of whiners. "Clean your sensors and move on!", they said. "Nikon would never release a D600 replacement, because it's not necessary"... blah blah.

This is a major embarrassment to Nikon.... because indeed what they've done is release a hardly changed model as a direct replacement for a faulty model. While scarcely publicly acknowledging that the D600 was flawed!! That's the insane part. I really believe you may see a class action lawsuit.... not something I'd care about, but I can see it happening.

And folks, if this camera turns out to have a widespread QC issue of ANY variety.... the company is in trouble. I can't imagine it, because they must have tested this thing into the ground before release.

I'm quite sure the D610 will not have any QC issue. After all, it has been tested by tens or even hundreds of thousands of beta testers, i.e. the D600 buyers. All those beta testers found only one big problem, and that should be solved now with the new shutter. Sarcasm off.

djsphynx Contributing Member • Posts: 542

stuntmonkey wrote:

kiirokurisu wrote:

Wow, Thom is really starting to sound incredibly bitter and dire. Anything for a few clicks eh? It takes years of study and experience to become an engineer, but anyone can pick up a keyboard and take a big dump all over that engineer's efforts. There's a critic born every minute...

Read his resume first.

This.

Moreover, it's Nikon that took a big dump on their own brand with the D800/SB-900/D600 engineering issues. Thom, myself and others are just pointing to these ongoing QC/QA issues out and wondering: wtf is going on at Nikon HQ?

Maybe it's just me, but I expect top notch quality in the pro gear that I buy. The D3s/D700/D300/SB-800 are good examples of good engineering.

Lastly, where is the D400? I really want a serious DX camera on my next trip to Africa!

-- hide signature --
bgbs Veteran Member • Posts: 3,195
D600, a closer step to D700 replacement

The gap has narrowed just a little bit, and I think it maybe a good time to replace my D700. But I will wait until the first adaptors test it for me.

Catalana Senior Member • Posts: 1,259

Well, that is what Nikon did for my D600. I took it in for a service (within the warranty period) and got a new shutter. Seems like they actuated it close to 300 times before they released the camera to me. In any event, D600 owners should send their camera in when possible. No point in getting bent out of shape. Life is too short...

Catalana's gear list:Catalana's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D600 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
fotolopithecus Senior Member • Posts: 1,699

I can see how someone who bought the D600 might be a little ticked, but the upside of this is that they have now taken the best all round camera Nikon makes, and made it nearly perfect. I will now buy the D610, where I refused to buy the D600 because the oil, and debis issues angered me.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
John SC New Member • Posts: 3

I just want to add that I am following the d600 and d610 threads carefully. I am looking for my first DSLR and the D600 reported issues have caused me to research more and wait longer. I hope Nikon realizes how much damage this does to their reputation. All companies will have quality control issues although one hopes they never do. It's how they respond that matters. I am in particular watching to see if they fully remedy the issues some current d600 owners are having. If not then it's no Nikons for me, period! Fixing the issue on a new camera and moving past the old one seems very slick in my opinion. I try hard not to buy from a company which doesn't stand behind their products in a proper respectful way. It may at times be expensive to do so, but the expense pails in comparison to the resulting lack of respect and decreased sales.

I do hope they make this right and keep their good reputation!

Telefoto Regular Member • Posts: 295
It's Nikon that seems to be in distress

Yes, Thom has been getting more negative lately, but I see that as simply reflecting surprisingly bad developments at Nikon. I bought my D3x in 2009 with the hope it would resist obsolescence to the end of this decade, and I'm finding that wish fulfilled by Nikon's own choices beyond my expectations. I have reliable dual CF card slots and a ridiculously high shots per charge count that make it a breeze to prepare for photo expeditions to remote locations. I have reliability and performance.

In contrast, everything in the second gen FX makes me basically cringe. Batteries took a big step back based on some mealy mouthed justification about battery laws in Japan. The D4 introduced a mismatched card solution that includes a "new standard" card type so utterly ignored by the entire globe of electronics manufacturers, it makes Nikon something of a laughing stock as it reveals the confusion of their internal politics and leadership. Even *they* have abandoned it in the FX line! Wow.

The D4 itself asked you to pay another 6 Gs for basically the same functionality that the D3 generation already offered without the deficits noted above. Then comes the D600 made in Thailand with a defective shutter. And, yes, my SB 900 overheats badly when I need it most. All in all, as a guy who started with Nikon in the 90s film days, I was almost sold by the D3 gen that Nikon was just as solid and dependable in digital as they were in film, but the last 2 years have shown me the fallacy of that belief. It is literally to the point where we simply have no idea what to expect from them next, and that isn't good at all.

Telefoto's gear list:Telefoto's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +6 more

fotolopithecus wrote:

I can see how someone who bought the D600 might be a little ticked, but the upside of this is that they have now taken the best all round camera Nikon makes, and made it nearly perfect. I will now buy the D610, where I refused to buy the D600 because the oil, and debis issues angered me.

So, What happens when the D610 starts to have some type of issue with the new shutter or some other change they have made? Will you wait for the d620 or the D630? Where does this train wreck of disrespect and unfairness end? How does one get back the waisted money and time? When does Nikon change it's attitude when people keep buying their cameras and letting them do this to their customers?

vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 3,397

I for one am not sure that the D610 will not have the same problem - my rationale would be if the D610 shutter mechanism does not have the debris  and oil problem, it would be logical that Nikon would have used this to fix the problem on the D600 currently being repaired or "cleaned".

I have had my D600 shutter mechanism replaced 2X!!!! and it still showing some debris or oil spots!!!

I hope I am wrong in this  - but I will wait for the final verdict on the 610 before I do something with my D600.  If the D610 is without this problem, ideally I would like to see some mechanism to transition from my D600 to the D610. Perhaps a "trade-in for a fee" or something like that..

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +31 more
RichRMA Veteran Member • Posts: 4,073

It's good from two aspects:  One, they've probably fixed the oil issue.  Two, the still above $2000 price hints that it's possible a decent APS may come available, which would have a real body, unlike the D7100.  But I'm probably wrong.

They should have called it the D600s.

I am new to this forum, and hope I don't step on toes, but I suggest everyone wait to buy the d610 until they see Nikon start to look after those whose d600 has issues. This appears to be the only leverage customers have since Nikon itself appears to refuse to do what it should. If you buy the 610 without Nikon first changing it's attitude then you are leaving others hanging out to dry, and putting yourself at risk for the same thing.

I want this camera, but I will not buy it until Nikon remedies the d600 cameras which are defective, or works out a fair option to get those people the new shutter or camera. I simply am not going to trust Nikon's new untested camera or Nikon until they do this. This may sound harsh, but I simply see it as fair!

Todd3608 Contributing Member • Posts: 780

I agree.  I will NEVER buy another Nikon DSLR because of how they handled the D600 fiasco.  They should be sued and have to pay up big time.

Shove it under the rug and replace it with basically the same features with a different model number...That's customer focus!  Yeah right...

John SC wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

So, What happens when the D610 starts to have some type of issue with the new shutter or some other change they have made? Will you wait for the d620 or the D630? Where does this train wreck of disrespect and unfairness end? How does one get back the waisted money and time? When does Nikon change it's attitude when people keep buying their cameras and letting them do this to their customers?

Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 7,298
Re: Excellent suggestion

Pixnat2 wrote:

anirbana wrote:

What Nikon should do is offer the same shutter assembly used in D610 as repair for all D600 owners free of cost and keep the firmware upgrade on 6fps restricted to D610 only to differentiate it with the D600 and keep both products on sale.

I think that would make all D600 owners very happy as it is a fantastic camera. I will be glad to pick it up with the shutter assembly from the D610.

If Nikon makes what you suggest, they will save their reputation.

Maybe if you send in your D600 now they'll put in the shutter that goes into the D610.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads