How do i explain to someone its not about megapixels ?

Started Oct 4, 2013 | Questions
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,421
Re: How do i explain to someone its not about megapixels ?

redsf1 wrote:

JTC111 wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

Whilst i'm after a Pentax K30 or one of the K5's and will use it for multitude of subjects she wants a 600D for the only reason of its got 18MP. and the only reason she is going for a Canon is cos its what everyone uses. so how do i explain to her its not just MP? i currently have a basic Oly CSC with only 12mp but its more than good enough for looking at the pics on a screen or printing at a reasonable size. she wants it for portraits so is never going to massive posters. i just don't know how to explain it to her.

Why do you want to bother? If that's what she wants, let her buy it. She won't be disappointed with a 600D.

Because the first reason of getting the camera above everything else is its got 18mp cos thats means everything and her second reason is cos its a canon. i just don't want her to buy a camera purely on the amount of mp's. her previous camera is a iphone!

If she gets what SHE wants, she's likely more inclined to use it, to learn about it, to grow into it. If she gets what you insist she gets, it may not see the light of day all that much. Some arguments are just not worth having and this is certainly one of them, imo. If it's going to be HER camera, let her get what she wants.

i DO see where your coming from but i'm just trying to get more advice than i can give her before she spends her money. yes when she chooses the camera she will defo use it. she has a mind of her own and i bloody know it! I'm not saying to her don't buy it as i know canon make dam good camera and lenses all i want is to give her some advice and try and get her to try out a Nikon or Sony just so she can see what else is about. so far all she has done is gone to Curry's and looked at the 1100d and 600D and decided the 600D is the camera for her

If it feels right, that makes a big difference. The menu system is also less complicated on Canon. Check prices online. I am sure they will be cheaper than Currys.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,421

Dareshooter wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

Don't bother to explain it to her and when she sees how good the output is from the 600d she won't be able to tell you how wrong you were for trying to put her off.

In no way am i trying to put her off, just trying to get her to see there is other stuff about. preferably not Pentax or m4/3

Sounds like it to me and it may come across that way to her too.It's her money and if it makes her happy be then be happy for her.

If somebody you knew was buying something they knew nothing about wouldn't you try and advise them? and especially when she has asked for your advise?

Sure if they were making a bad choice but in this case she isn't is she ? Quite the contrary actually she's actually making a very sound choice regardless of the number of mpix.

Your last point is the most relevant one. If the 600D was slated as a load of s**t then yes I would advise her to try some others. Anyway at £400 it's great value & I doubt she will get anything better for the money.

You did ask for advice from the forum. The overwhelming opinion is, let her buy the 600D. If it goes wrong, at least you are off the hook {-D

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,165

It's so funny how so many people on these forums can never seem to answer a  simple question. I agree with many here that the 600D is a fine camera and it's 18 mp doesn't hinder it's image quality, BUT, that's not what you asked is it? I would talk to your girlfriend about how she plans to use the images and if she plans on printing often. I would also show her many fine images by pros that were taken with far less mp's. Then I would discuss the many different features that various cameras and systems have weighing the pros and cons of each. Just let her know that, while the number of mp is not insignificant, there are many factors regarding image quality, ergonomics, and operation that may be more significant in actual use. As long as your girlfriend is open-minded and you are not defensive  then she should end up with a lot of good information to use to make a smart decision. As you said, she DID ask you your opinion. After that it's up to her. No matter what she chooses I'm sure she will get a great camera that she will enjoy. Good luck.

-Tim

Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Detail Man
Detail Man Forum Pro • Posts: 17,050
Re: Well, if she would buy a car based primarily on horsepower ...

bobn2 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

...then it makes sense.

For what other reason would you buy a car?

For the pure "panache" of driving an automobile associated with "professional photographers" ?

Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 17,108

Timj351 wrote:

It's so funny how so many people on these forums can never seem to answer a simple question. I agree with many here that the 600D is a fine camera and it's 18 mp doesn't hinder it's image quality, BUT, that's not what you asked is it? I would talk to your girlfriend about how she plans to use the images and if she plans on printing often. I would also show her many fine images by pros that were taken with far less mp's. Then I would discuss the many different features that various cameras and systems have weighing the pros and cons of each. Just let her know that, while the number of mp is not insignificant, there are many factors regarding image quality, ergonomics, and operation that may be more significant in actual use.

Nah. Let me talk to your girlfriend. I'm sure we'll both have a better time.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 22,234
Re: Nope.

AceP wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

dholl wrote:

3) less pixels on same size sensor within same sensor-generation generally mean better high-ISO performance and better DR/colour-depth at higher ISO's too.

That's absolutely false, the classic counterexample being the D600 vs D800.

When I compare the ISO 6400 and above RAW samples in the DPreview widget, it's pretty obvious that the D800 has more noise, especially colour, than the lower megapx D600.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d600/21

Nope.  Try again.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
ultimitsu
ultimitsu Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650

redsf1 wrote:

Whilst i'm after a Pentax K30 or one of the K5's and will use it for multitude of subjects she wants a 600D for the only reason of its got 18MP. and the only reason she is going for a Canon is cos its what everyone uses. so how do i explain to her its not just MP? i currently have a basic Oly CSC with only 12mp but its more than good enough for looking at the pics on a screen or printing at a reasonable size. she wants it for portraits so is never going to massive posters. i just don't know how to explain it to her.

you are right that picking canon for the mp is not a good reason, but there are many other good reasons for going canon over pentax or m43:

1, much cheaper lenses

2, better AF than both

3, wider range of lenses

4, more mature and cheaper flashes

5, great upgrade path, if she buys EF primes and EF tele zooms, and if in2 years time she would like a FF, she can.

nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,479
Just tell her it's a law

redsf1 wrote:

Then show her the law:  Law of Diminishing Returns

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Joe186
Joe186 Senior Member • Posts: 2,098
Buy a used F31fd

When I go to pro-camera restricted art or fashion review, sometimes the security will ask to take a look at my camera. I snickeringly show them the “6.3 megapixels” etched into the front handgrip. They always knowingly shake their heads in satisfaction and leave me alone for the rest of the evening.

When I show my prints to the artists, they always buy them for their hard portfolios. Often, I am asked, how I was able to use a pro grade camera at the show. <snicker> I just tell them, “I’m just that good, that’s all”. <snicker>

-- hide signature --
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,659

redsf1 wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

RhysM wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

RhysM wrote:

How about letting her buy a 600D and not interfering, if she was buying a D800 with 36mp just to put photos on Facebook then fair enough, but a 600D is hardly excessive or extravagant.

Because she asked for my advice. i just don't want her to make any decisions till she has looked Nikon.Sony,Pentax or the m4/3's.

Then advise her it's a good camera with a mature system, many lenses, speedlights, etc,etc and if she can afford it and likes it, there's no reason not to buy it.

That is I'd say what really counts in favour of the Canon, you not only have a large system but a system with some very cheap but good lenses on offer.

I know just im trying to advise her

Well you didn't mention that at all in your previous posts and its obviously in favour Canon over say Pentax, especially if your talking used lenses.

Vlad S Veteran Member • Posts: 3,754

redsf1 wrote:

so how do i explain to her its not just MP?

With examples.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/37549285

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,296

brucet wrote:

Why do city folks buy and drive 4x4's?

Just cos they can.

You want you children to be safe when you drive them to school, don't you?

The sacrifices parents have to make ....

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS XF 90mm
OP Onyx S21 Regular Member • Posts: 126

happysnapper64 wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

JTC111 wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

Why do you want to bother? If that's what she wants, let her buy it. She won't be disappointed with a 600D.

Because the first reason of getting the camera above everything else is its got 18mp cos thats means everything and her second reason is cos its a canon. i just don't want her to buy a camera purely on the amount of mp's. her previous camera is a iphone!

If she gets what SHE wants, she's likely more inclined to use it, to learn about it, to grow into it. If she gets what you insist she gets, it may not see the light of day all that much. Some arguments are just not worth having and this is certainly one of them, imo. If it's going to be HER camera, let her get what she wants.

i DO see where your coming from but i'm just trying to get more advice than i can give her before she spends her money. yes when she chooses the camera she will defo use it. she has a mind of her own and i bloody know it! I'm not saying to her don't buy it as i know canon make dam good camera and lenses all i want is to give her some advice and try and get her to try out a Nikon or Sony just so she can see what else is about. so far all she has done is gone to Curry's and looked at the 1100d and 600D and decided the 600D is the camera for her

If it feels right, that makes a big difference. The menu system is also less complicated on Canon. Check prices online. I am sure they will be cheaper than Currys.

I wont be getting it from currys most likely from SRS but they dont do the 600d

Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 42,943
Re: Buy a used F31fd

Joe186 wrote:

When I go to pro-camera restricted art or fashion review, sometimes the security will ask to take a look at my camera. I snickeringly show them the “6.3 megapixels” etched into the front handgrip. They always knowingly shake their heads in satisfaction and leave me alone for the rest of the evening.

When I show my prints to the artists, they always buy them for their hard portfolios. Often, I am asked, how I was able to use a pro grade camera at the show. <snicker> I just tell them, “I’m just that good, that’s all”. <snicker>

Then they'd be blown away by what an RX100 could do, or the prints are so small that the IQ advantage of the RX100 is overkill.  Still, I wonder if they'd stop you at the door with a "professional" RX100, given that it has 20 MP, and all.  I wonder if they screen for those 41 MP cell phones, too.

happysnapper64 wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

I got the 600D 2yrs ago as my first camera, having not even used an iphone or any other type of stills camera. It's a very good camera to start on IMO. As another poster has said, if it's her choice she will most likely use it more.

Im not disputing its not gonna be a good camera or if she likes it she will most likely use it just i want her to see what else is about before she makes the investment

Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 14,616

If I have to choose between cameras of the same kind, I choose the one with the higher pixel count. I do moon and bird shots, and some times they need enlarging. Given the choice between a longer lens and more pixels, it is more pixels that retains the detail. I also have the lousy habit of trying to read ships names on wide angle harbour shots. With 16 MP I can at 100 %, with 10 MP it is partially guess work.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II

John1940 wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

JamesMortimer wrote:

Why redsf1 wrote:

Why do you want to?

If she's happy with the 600D then let her be happy with it.

What's it to do with you?

Why do you want to? cos all she she's is pixels

What's it to do with you? when she asks me for advice i'm trying to help her. no harm in that is there ?

Yes, there is great harm to your relationship because you are trying to stuff a 12-MP Pentax down her throat, so to speak. You have no idea how many relationships something like that has ruined. OK, I'm just and old engineer (and do have a 600D) but I've watched the Dr. Phil program several times.

also as my girlfriend i thought id try and get her better advice from more knowledgeable people

If she offers to cook mushroom soup for you, let your cat taste it first. If you don't have a cat, borrow one. I am very knowledgeable about such things, but am currently down to one cat.

John1940

I DONT WANT HER TO GO WITH PENTAX OR M4/3. she wont touch my m4/3 cos the pic quality is rubbish with 12mp....apparently.

If she offered to cook id take a life insurance policy out purely for eating her food!

Detail Man
Detail Man Forum Pro • Posts: 17,050

redsf1 wrote:

John1940 wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

JamesMortimer wrote:

Why redsf1 wrote:

Why do you want to?

If she's happy with the 600D then let her be happy with it.

What's it to do with you?

Why do you want to? cos all she she's is pixels

What's it to do with you? when she asks me for advice i'm trying to help her. no harm in that is there ?

Yes, there is great harm to your relationship because you are trying to stuff a 12-MP Pentax down her throat, so to speak. You have no idea how many relationships something like that has ruined. OK, I'm just and old engineer (and do have a 600D) but I've watched the Dr. Phil program several times.

also as my girlfriend i thought id try and get her better advice from more knowledgeable people

If she offers to cook mushroom soup for you, let your cat taste it first. If you don't have a cat, borrow one. I am very knowledgeable about such things, but am currently down to one cat.

I DONT WANT HER TO GO WITH PENTAX OR M4/3. she wont touch my m4/3 cos the pic quality is rubbish with 12mp....apparently.

Aha, the underlaysingub- strata begins to appear. A "spatial frequency aware" lady, indeed ...

If she offered to cook id take a life insurance policy out purely for eating her food!

Tell her that you will buy her a Nikon D800 and a new resource-rich computer system to process the 36 Mpixel image-files without sputtering and choking - if she will only let you do all of the cooking ...

Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 42,943
Re: Nope.

AceP wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

dholl wrote:

3) less pixels on same size sensor within same sensor-generation generally mean better high-ISO performance and better DR/colour-depth at higher ISO's too.

That's absolutely false, the classic counterexample being the D600 vs D800.

When I compare the ISO 6400 and above RAW samples in the DPreview widget, it's pretty obvious that the D800 has more noise, especially colour, than the lower megapx D600.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d600/21

Not so obvious to me, as the D800 is being viewed with greater enlargement.  Upsample the D600 file to the same dimensions as the D800 file and compare.  I think you'll find the differences to be trivial after DPR adds the D600 to their new studio scene so you can compare at the same enlargement.

ultimitsu wrote:

redsf1 wrote:

you are right that picking canon for the mp is not a good reason, but there are many other good reasons for going canon over pentax or m43:

1, much cheaper lenses

2, better AF than both

3, wider range of lenses

4, more mature and cheaper flashes

5, great upgrade path, if she buys EF primes and EF tele zooms, and if in2 years time she would like a FF, she can.

I love Pentax for quality and for me at least its best all rounder with weather sealing as i'll be taking it out in some wet weather and i have a couple of old lenses i can use.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads