Details, details, details ...

Started Oct 4, 2013 | Discussions
veroman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837
Details, details, details ...

Old, abandoned theater in Newark, New Jersey (obviously). First image is the full capture; second image is a 100% crop (large file!). I have no reason to sell my E-5 in favor of an EM-1.

Shot RAW, but hardly any sharpening in PP

100%

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Leica Digilux 2 Ricoh GR II Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-E2
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,010
Re: Details, details, details ...

An attractive exterior still.  I like the detail shot but would correct the vertical distortion and for me give it a little more of a contrasty look by adjusting local contrast.  I think if you have more of these buildings around that it would make an interesting series.

Andrew

OP veroman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837

19andrew47 wrote:

An attractive exterior still. I like the detail shot but would correct the vertical distortion and for me give it a little more of a contrasty look by adjusting local contrast. I think if you have more of these buildings around that it would make an interesting series.

Andrew

Andrew:  the vertical distortion has already been corrected a bit.  It looked a little strange when corrected 100%, possibly some parallax distortion or other anomaly.  I also tried adding some micro-contrast, but I thought it made the building look a little TOO good.  It's a real weather-worn structure with rust, greatly faded colors, etc.  I didn't want to beautify it all that much.

-- hide signature --

SteveG

Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,305

Your E-5 has recorded some nice details there, an interesting façade.

I don't understand why the spurious reference to not needing to buy an E-M1 was necessary, however. I am still happy with my E-1 ... I don't need to buy an E-M1 either. I just want one, simple as that.

-- hide signature --
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724

That is a lot of detail. Very nice .

Well after all the hype and initial  disappointment I have decided I am happy with my  4/3 cameras. I asked myself what I would be gaining and other that better high ISO not hell of a lot more but nothing quantum.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
rovingtim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,640
Is this a 'nice picture' thread?

I ask this genuinely because if it is a 'nice picture' thread, I won't say anything. Much of detail is impressive and the facade is an interesting photographic subject.

On the other hand, if this is a genuine analysis of a file, can I point out the alias artifacts in it?

citizenlouie Contributing Member • Posts: 796
Re: Is this a 'nice picture' thread?

rovingtim wrote:

I ask this genuinely because if it is a 'nice picture' thread, I won't say anything. Much of detail is impressive and the facade is an interesting photographic subject.

On the other hand, if this is a genuine analysis of a file, can I point out the alias artifacts in it?

As I and some people have mentioned it, the files uploaded on DPR somehow did some NR or anti-aliasing thing to it (don't know what exactly), and the resolution is much lower than the original in 100% view.  Downsampled view is fine, but once you get into detail..., you'd feel you could have shot with a lower-end camera (like a m4/3 camera with kit lens) and nobody would tell a difference.  It's not the camera that's causing the "alias artifacts", it's DPR's process....

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
really?

citizenlouie wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

As I and some people have mentioned it, the files uploaded on DPR somehow did some NR or anti-aliasing thing to it (don't know what exactly), and the resolution is much lower than the original in 100% view. Downsampled view is fine, but once you get into detail..., you'd feel you could have shot with a lower-end camera (like a m4/3 camera with kit lens) and nobody would tell a difference. It's not the camera that's causing the "alias artifacts", it's DPR's process....

I hadn't heard this. Sure looks like alias artifacts to me. Still, if what you say is true, then I have nothing to say.

19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,010
Tim

Tim, I would like you to go ahead and point them out, with enough detail about their location that I can find them so that I can see what point you are trying to make. Then if there is a solution to the issue I would like to hear that as well, other than buying a new camera.  However, I don't want to subvert the thread to a direction it wasn't intended to go.

Andrew

Andrew

I'm happy to go with nice picture if that is the intent of the thread. That is why I asked. If you would like to pm an email link, I'll be happy to send you a crop (jpg).

My solution is to remind all manufacturers that alias artifacts are not ideal in picture files. Either put the AA back in, or find a solution that works (software cannot work ... it can only help). Or maybe an adjustable AA as Nikon is suggesting.

CollBaxter
Can't see any shutter shock though.

-- hide signature --

Collin
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
CollBaxter
Start a new thread.

rovingtim wrote:

I'm happy to go with nice picture if that is the intent of the thread. That is why I asked. If you would like to pm an email link, I'll be happy to send you a crop (jpg).

My solution is to remind all manufacturers that alias artifacts are not ideal in picture files. Either put the AA back in, or find a solution that works (software cannot work ... it can only help). Or maybe an adjustable AA as Nikon is suggesting.

Tim this post is not the time and place for a hobby horse post. Start a new thread if you want to pursue that topic.

-- hide signature --

Collin

Re: Can't see any shutter shock though.

Indeed

And you do crack me up sometimes.

Re: Start a new thread.

CollBaxter wrote:

rovingtim wrote:

Tim this post is not the time and place for a hobby horse post. Start a new thread if you want to pursue that topic.

As I said, if this is a 'nice picture' thread, I'll leave it.

It's just that 100% E5 files are rare and I have been accused of 'making it up'. The best proof is simply to point out the artifacts in other peoples' files. Otherwise, I get accused of cherry-picking files to 'make my point'. That is why I no longer bother starting threads about this.

It was just a feeler.

Re: Is this a 'nice picture' thread?

rovingtim wrote:

Yes, detail is impressive and the building is interesting. That's why I posted the picture.

Go right ahead.

-- hide signature --

SteveG

citizenlouie Contributing Member • Posts: 796
Re: really?

Go ahead and upload some photos on your own, and compare your photos posted here with the one you see on your hard drive.  Take a look at both versions at 100%, you'll see the differences.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more

Godfrey wrote:

Your E-5 has recorded some nice details there, an interesting façade.

Yes on both counts.

I don't understand why the spurious reference to not needing to buy an E-M1 was necessary, however. I am still happy with my E-1 ... I don't need to buy an E-M1 either. I just want one, simple as that.

Spurious?  Just a personal statement, that's all.

-- hide signature --

SteveG

aja2
aja2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,657
Start a new forum with just you in it. *nt*
Brad Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,924
So where in Newark..

Steve, I live in Westfield NJ, about 11 miles west of Newark. lived in NJ for 17 years, but besides NJPAC and the train station,I do not know the city, or the photo opportunities, perhaps a guided tour,  just kidding, although I would like to know the location! and any other spots that you found interesting

Brad

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Brad Ross's gear list:Brad Ross's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II
Re: So where in Newark..

Brad Ross wrote:

Steve, I live in Westfield NJ, about 11 miles west of Newark. lived in NJ for 17 years, but besides NJPAC and the train station,I do not know the city, or the photo opportunities, perhaps a guided tour, just kidding, although I would like to know the location! and any other spots that you found interesting

Brad

Brad: I can't really say I know the area well.  I hadn't been in Newark for many, many years prior to going there yesterday.  I'm only 35 minutes north, in Bergen County.  I drove down mostly out of curiosity and to search some good photo opportunities.  But I didn't stay long.

I parked in a public lot right near the PNC Building, which is near the Ironbound district.  I walked over to Market Street and almost immediately didn't feel safe ... certainly not with a camera bag and strap that had "CPS Canon Professional" written all over it.  I'd only walked two blocks when I saw the old theater, grabbed a shot, then headed towards the train station for a bite to eat.  I left for home shortly afterwards.

My brief stay in the city tells me there are many, many photo opportunities in the city of Newark.  But I brought the wrong camera.  Something smaller and more discrete ... and less "professional looking" than the E-5 ... would have been more appropriate.  The E-510, E-420 or a Fuji X10 would have been better.  I'll be going again soon, but with a much smaller camera.

-- hide signature --

SteveG

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads