Morning Kit and Afternoon Sigma!

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions
Car629
Car629 Contributing Member • Posts: 647
Morning Kit and Afternoon Sigma!

Hi was out and about today..... two from this morning as the sun managed to peak through the clouds over Loch Morlich using my kit lens 18-55mm IS MKII and a ND filter set to 7 stops.

Also

Two from this afternoon using my new Sigma 17-50mm lens which I love, just need to get an ND filter for it and I will start using it in the morning too.

Carol

Loch Morlich

Loch Morlich

Tulloch Moor

Bog Cotton

happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417
Re: Morning Kit and Afternoon Sigma!

More nice peacefull photos Carol. What is the difference between a ND & a polarizing filter? I have  polarizer & it was expensive & it only fits a couple of my lenses @ 77mm.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
Car629
OP Car629 Contributing Member • Posts: 647

happysnapper64 wrote:

More nice peacefull photos Carol. What is the difference between a ND & a polarizing filter? I have polarizer & it was expensive & it only fits a couple of my lenses @ 77mm.

Hi Lee,

I took this off the web as it was better than what I could say. I have a polarizer but don't use it very often and yes it was expensive! Then ND filter was about half the price and it's a 10 stop ND filter which I have just started to use and I am considering getting one for my Sigma too.

Hope this helps Lee.

Carol

A neutral density filter is simply gray glass. It's purpose is to reduce the amount of light that enters the camera, allowing you to choose either a longer exposure or a wider aperture to achieve the image you are trying to photograph. Neutral density filters are available in several densities - generally, one, two or three stops of density (requiring one, two or three stops, respectively, of additional exposure).

Polarizing filters polarize the light entering the camera. They generally involve sheets of filter material mounted in a way that allows you to adjust the relative angles between the filter and the source of light in the scene. The effect of a polarizing filter is to reduce reflections and glare - this can lead to deeper blue skies, more intense colors in both objects and foliage. Rotating the filter allows you to vary the degree of polarization. Polarizing filters are grayish in color and tend to absorb two stops of light, so in that sense they can have similar effects as a two stop neutral density filter.

Polarizing filters come in two forms - linear and circular. Linear polarizers are the least expensive and consist of two sheets of material that have to be adjusted with respect to each other as well as with respect to the source of light (typically the sun since they are normally used outdoors). However, linear polarizers can interfere with the automation in some cameras, and in those instances you must use a circular polarizer.

happysnapper64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,417

Thanks Carol. I think I should have researched this more before I bought my polarizer.

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.
"I'm so fast, when I turn off the light, i'm in bed before the room gets dark" The great Mohamed Ali.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
J Flavin Junior Member • Posts: 30

Some nice photos . I have the 17-50 sigma too - on a Sigma sd 14 and it is vg- but sd 14 is limited to 100/200 iso  so I have the canon  60d  too .  I presume from your comments that you have  a variable ND filter ?/. They are quite expensive .

I was slightly puzzled by your setting s of Bog Cotton Shot  using f 4.5 .

SeaScout851 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,342

Wonderful series.  I particularly like the framing of the first image.

Andy

Jeff Peterman
MOD Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,805

A polarizer can do things that an ND filter can't: selectively darkening reflected light, which can remove glare from glass/water and improve color contrast. If you use TWO polarizer filters you can have the advantages of a polarizing filter and a variable density ND filter: you put a circular polarizer on the lens and a linear one (much cheaper) in front of that: by rotating the filter on the lens you can get the polarizing effect that you want (and a roughly 2 stop ND) and by rotating the filter in front of that you can go to essentially an infinite ND.

The simple way to think of this is that a polarizing filter blocks all the light that has a wave form in a specific direction, so adding another in front and rotating it 90 degrees relative to the first with result in all the light being blocked. A circular polarizer has a plate on the back that randomizes the wave forms so that the light entering the camera is not polarized. But remember I said "a simple way to think of this..." the actual technical details are more complex.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
photosen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,077
Dazzling

Really, really nice, those colours are amazing, honestly made my day. Thanks for sharing.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads