Most activity on M4/3s forum

Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions
ApertureAcolyte
ApertureAcolyte Contributing Member • Posts: 994
Re: Most activity on M4/3s forum

Sean Nelson wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

I went over the the Canon forum I used to frequent a lot, guess what, the activity there is not near what it is here. Why do you think that is the case.

I see a lot of (sometimes flippant) theories in this thread, but nobody seems to have pointed out the actual most likely reason...

There are no less than four Canon DSLR forums, so that really dilutes the activity among them. Contrast that with the M43 forum, where two separate manufacturers are lumped together, bringing the users of each into the same place.

No wonder there's more posts here.

Yes but apparently we a such a tiny market according to the dinosaurs...

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Jan Chelminski
Jan Chelminski Contributing Member • Posts: 940
Bravo! Best post I have read here in awhile.

007peter wrote:

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Less innovation. Less inspiration. Cynical product releases (EOS M)... and most important of all.... little to troll or argue about.

M43 system is trailblazing....making people insecure left, right and centre.

That is a rather righteous one-side-opinion. I owned M43, NEX, and EOS-M, in the past I owned several canon dslr.

The TRUTH is that M43 forum is very active because M43 forum must constantly defend against:

• NEX attacks
  • FF equivalence debate
  • Olympus vs Panasonic debates
  • APS-C vs M43 superiority-inferiority-debates
  • Why does M43 suck so bad in action shoot
  • Why M43 wil died
  • Why DSLR are doom

That is why there is so much activity here. Its a dream forum for TROLL + DEFENDERS alike. There is No Discussion about photography; no show & tell of what you took today; its all about being offensive (DSLR will died) or being defensive against troll attacks. If you're honest with yourself, you know that spoke the TRUTH.

Canon forum is very quiet....and I like it like that. Browsing any forum, and what strike me immediately is the absence of trolls, nor any thread to defend itself.

• No FF Equivalence debates, since canon makes most of FF
  • No Canon will died attacks = no canon will survive counter-threads
  • No Sales Figure threads, no BCN/amazon numbers, because canon is ususally #1
  • No Dual Brand Civil War either (Panasonic vs Olympus)
  • etc... etc...

M43 forum is WAR ZONE by comparison. It is very exciting here. I go to canon forums to talk about photography, then come here for flame war entertainment. No a day goes by without some kind of attack and counter-attacks. DPR loves this, since M43 forum generate so much activity and page turn here.

Well put.

Baron LaCat Contributing Member • Posts: 908

The Downside is that your posted question will disappear off the front page by the end of the day !!

Baron LaCat's gear list:Baron LaCat's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III Panasonic GH5
rhlpetrus Forum Pro • Posts: 24,858
The millions Canonites are taking photos n/t
-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +4 more
Zensu11
Zensu11 Senior Member • Posts: 1,542

Canon and Nikon are well established and well made cameras, they have been building on their designs for decades and they have pretty much smoothed off all rough edges. Nothing much to talk about.

We are part of the birth of a new format which brings many questions as this system is beginning to make pro quality cameras and lenses. 43's was a great tool but wasn't able to make a different enough case for itself against APS-C DSLR's. They were a little smaller but not by much. M43's has come along and is changing the game up in photography. New smaller lighter cameras and lenses that are considerably different from APS-C equipment. We are on the cusp of a revolution in photography and none of us are completely sure of how image capturing equipment will function 10 years from now, IMHO.

Wormsmeat
Wormsmeat Forum Pro • Posts: 14,112
Re: Folks here have taken a divergent path - they need validation

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

I shot Canon for years and still use a Canon DSLR sometimes. I went over the the Canon forum I used to frequent a lot, guess what, the activity there is not near what it is here. Why do you think that is the case.

They also may generally have questions that can't be answered by your average camera salesperson, who knows little specific detail with respect to Micro 4/3 products.

Going with Canon or Nikon DSLRs is a conventional choice, requiring little external validation, and conventional wisdom about those systems abounds.

Very good point. I also believe that people who choose m43 are more likely to be genuinely interested in, and therefore talk about, photography itself. Whereas a larger percentage of those buying CaNikon do so because they want to be seen to have big professional looking gear (which they subsequently use to make snapshots).

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +5 more
Mephistopheles* Regular Member • Posts: 256
Only forum defined by sensor size, not brand

Think the reason for the high level of activity in this forum is fairly simple. It is the only DP Review forum whose scope includes all cameras of a certain sensor size rather than being limited to a particular a brand. So it has more discussion because multiple brands are included, and because it invites debates about the advantages and disadvantages of different classes of camera systems (as defined by sensor size).  If there were a single APS-C or full frame forum, I would expect it would be similarly active.

Jim

Mephistopheles*'s gear list:Mephistopheles*'s gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 +5 more
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,868
Re: [The TRUTH] b/c M43 forum have to defend againt NEX, FF, APS-C attacks

007peter wrote:

Canon forum is very quiet....and I like it like that.

This is true... but it wasn't always like that.  The Canon forums (lens forum in particular) is a comparative ghost town to where it was six or seven years ago, before the Nikon FFs were released and users started to have a choice (and competition since then from all over the marketplace).  Times sure have changed.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +25 more
NCV
NCV Senior Member • Posts: 5,772

Mirrorless is in my opinion the first real digital camera system(s).  DSLR’s are more or less film cameras with a digital sensor ( nothing wrong with that) and so not that exiting.

Mirrorless  is heavily software driven with lots of lens adjustments and other stuff done by software and the  cameras are innovating at a fast rate.

My old DSLR did more or less what my film cameras did, lens distortion and softness were unmodified.

With mirrorless one has the sensation of taking part in a revolution of camera design and perhaps for this reason people wish to talk about it with others.

I found my first 4/3 camera a sensational experience and for the first time commented on a forum.

http://nigelvoak.blogspot.it/

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
SDPharm Regular Member • Posts: 226
Brilliant post! [nt]

No text.

SDPharm's gear list:SDPharm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
TrapperJohn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,488
Canon forums are broken up by type

There are three primary Canon DSLR forums. There is only one µ43 forum.

Also, µ43 has had two new and very interesting high end bodies lately. Canon has had only one recent release, the 70D, which does an interesting PDAF on sensor implementation, but being a DSLR, it's not all that useful as it already has traditional PDAF.

RealPancho
RealPancho Senior Member • Posts: 1,313
Many of us need no validation, thank you very much

dougjgreen1 wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

I shot Canon for years and still use a Canon DSLR sometimes. I went over the the Canon forum I used to frequent a lot, guess what, the activity there is not near what it is here. Why do you think that is the case.

They also may generally have questions that can't be answered by your average camera salesperson, who knows little specific detail with respect to Micro 4/3 products.

Going with Canon or Nikon DSLRs is a conventional choice, requiring little external validation,

I've only been here for about 9 months, but based on what I've seen, advice and/or fellowship far outweigh the need for validation - unless it's for their parking ticket, that is.

and conventional wisdom about those systems abounds.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,175
Simply because these are gear forums

And.... relatively speaking.... there has been a lot more going on in the world of M4/3 in the past four years than there has been for Canon DSLR or any other brand.

This forum is "where the action is" at least as far as new gear goes. We have more to talk about here, because more is happening here.

EVERY forum has it's trolls, controversies, and people who just love to argue about stuff, but the thing that causes so much traffic on this forum is that there is more gear to talk about.

OK.... I suppose to be fair, we could also say we have the Equivalence Nazis who come here constantly to educate us, and to entertain themselves., and they do add a lot of traffic. But the Olympus SLR forum had them too, and they never had this much traffic.

So I still say the answer is "more new gear."

For example.... since 2009, there have been the following interchangeable lens cameras and lenses....

• M4/3.............28 new bodies, 36 new lenses (just from Olympus and Panasonic)
  • Sony DSLR......20 new bodies, 15 new lenses
  • Canon DSLR....16 new bodies, 26 new lenses
  • Nikon DSLR.....14 new bodies, 28 new lenses
  • Samsung NX....12 new bodies, 13 new lenses
  • Sony NEX........11 new bodies, 14 new lenses
  • Pentax DSLR....10 new bodies, 17 new lenses
  • Nikon 1............7 new bodies, 11 new lenses
  • Leica................5 new bodies, 5 new lenses
  • Fuji-X...............4 new bodies, 10 new lenses
  • Pentax Q..........3 new bodies, 7 new lenses
  • 4/3 DSLR..........3 new bodies, no new lenses
  • Sigma DSLR.......2 new bodies, 24 new lenses
  • Canon EOS M....1 new body, 7 new lenses
  • Ricoh GXR.........1 new body, 6 new lens modules
  • Pentax K-01......1 new body, 1 new lens
 Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +11 more
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,226
[TRUTH #2] DRP will never break up M43 forum. Its a money generator

007peter wrote:

M43 forum is WAR ZONE by comparison. It is very exciting here. I go to canon forums to talk about photography, then come here for flame war entertainment. No a day goes by without some kind of attack and counter-attacks. DPR loves this, since M43 forum generate so much activity and page turn here.

I forgot to add that this is also the reason why DPR will never breakup M43 forum.  M43 forum and its endless battles is a money generator.  The more activity, more clicks, more AD, more VIEW = more $$$.

Sad, but I wish DPR would at least breakup this forum into a M43 body and a M43 lens forum.  Afterall, canon/nikon have their lens centric forum and there is enough lens in M43 system to justify a separate forum.

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,621
Re: [TRUTH #2] DRP will never break up M43 forum. Its a money generator

007peter wrote:

I forgot to add that this is also the reason why DPR will never breakup M43 forum. M43 forum and its endless battles is a money generator. The more activity, more clicks, more AD, more VIEW = more $$$.

Sure would be interesting to know whether DPR sells ad space on a per-forum basis, and if so what the rates are for the various forums...

brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,145
Re: [The TRUTH] b/c M43 forum have to defend againt NEX, FF, APS-C attacks

Chez Wimpy wrote:

007peter wrote:

Canon forum is very quiet....and I like it like that.

This is true... but it wasn't always like that. The Canon forums (lens forum in particular) is a comparative ghost town to where it was six or seven years ago, before the Nikon FFs were released and users started to have a choice (and competition since then from all over the marketplace). Times sure have changed.

-- hide signature --

-CW

That was back in the day when Canon users were so smug about their sensors that the saying was "wish I had a Canon sensor in a Nikon body", which Nikon obliged with the D3.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D810 Samsung NX1 +24 more
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,145

NCV wrote:

Mirrorless is in my opinion the first real digital camera system(s). DSLR’s are more or less film cameras with a digital sensor ( nothing wrong with that) and so not that exiting.

Mirrorless is heavily software driven with lots of lens adjustments and other stuff done by software and the cameras are innovating at a fast rate.

My old DSLR did more or less what my film cameras did, lens distortion and softness were unmodified.

With mirrorless one has the sensation of taking part in a revolution of camera design and perhaps for this reason people wish to talk about it with others.

I found my first 4/3 camera a sensational experience and for the first time commented on a forum.

http://nigelvoak.blogspot.it/

Canon/Nikon embraced digital technology to protect their investment in lenses, and their survival. If their never was 35 mm, digital would have evolved with smaller bodies and lenses.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D810 Samsung NX1 +24 more
tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,122
you guys are confused

Great cameras = people out taking photos = not much forum activity

cameras with problems = people complaining = lots of forum activity

cameras with problems vs cameras w/no problems = lots of jealously and comparisons

Nice try though. The Canon 5dIII is probably the greatest camera made so far. Just about perfect. I guess I'm more active taking photos and entering contests than complaining about a camera I love.

How about you guys?

Jere Landis wrote:

Chez Wimpy

brianric wrote:

Canon/Nikon embraced digital technology to protect their investment in lenses, and their survival. If their never was 35 mm, digital would have evolved with smaller bodies and lenses.

A very good point.  If anything it seems that the 135 format has held back digital SLRs for the last decade in that sensor fabrication of that particular size (IIRC, the APS-H format Canon used in their 1D series was settled upon as the largest non-stitched sensor design) is perhaps an order of magnitude more expensive than APS-C sensors.  Had FF digital rebels been the standard from the start, so much of the current angst around the false-dichotomy "why buy the EM1 when an XX FF is the same price?!" among (presumably) crop DSLR users would never have existed.  APS-C created a mess of compatability / backward looking / over-sized frankenstein solutions as DSLR makers were intent on grafting onto their film-era markets... with a generally unsatisfying user-experience for the vast majority of buyers.  Something as simple as the 12/2 for m43 (still to this day) has no equivalent on APS-C DSLRs.  If you want a 17/1.8 for the Canon 7D, you have to mount the 24/1.4 (a lens alone larger than a pen+17/1.8 combo).  Discounting the questionable approach of 4/3, m43 is the first digital system with a complete suite of lenses to match, and it is really exciting to see what is next on the horizon.  Looking at Fuji and Sony, it might be the case that there is no advantage to FF mirrorless at all given comparable size seems to determine lenses a stop slower (if the leaks are true) yet $1000s more for sensor bragging rights.  I know a number of people IRL who seem obsessed "ahh, yes, one of your cameras has a FULL SIZE sensor" yet they seem to overlook that I mostly carry the "micro" cameras with me

-- hide signature --

-CW

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +25 more
Chez Wimpy
Re: you guys are confused

tko wrote:

Great cameras = people out taking photos = not much forum activity

cameras with problems = people complaining = lots of forum activity

cameras with problems vs cameras w/no problems = lots of jealously and comparisons

Nice try though. The Canon 5dIII is probably the greatest camera made so far. Just about perfect. I guess I'm more active taking photos and entering contests than complaining about a camera I love.

How about you guys?

We need your wisdom here:

???? = people complaining about other people complaining on a forum they shouldn't even have noticed since they were busy taking pictures and entering contests using the greatest camera made so far (with no problems).

-- hide signature --

-CW

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads