Most activity on M4/3s forum

Started Sep 27, 2013 | Discussions
Jere Landis Senior Member • Posts: 1,863
Most activity on M4/3s forum

I shot Canon for years and still use a Canon DSLR sometimes. I went over the the Canon forum I used to frequent a lot, guess what, the activity there is not near what it is here. Why do you think that is the case.

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
ApertureAcolyte
ApertureAcolyte Contributing Member • Posts: 994
Re: Most activity on M4/3s forum

Jere Landis wrote:

I shot Canon for years and still use a Canon DSLR sometimes. I went over the the Canon forum I used to frequent a lot, guess what, the activity there is not near what it is here. Why do you think that is the case.

Less controversy. Less innovation. Less inspiration. Cynical product releases (EOS M)... and most important of all.... little to troll or argue about.

M43 system is trailblazing....making people insecure left, right and centre.

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +1 more
Manip16 Contributing Member • Posts: 515

Because Canon hasn't produced a good SLR in about three years, their sensors are antiquated, and people are jumping ship to Nikon, Fuji, Sony NEX, m43, and similar in droves.

The 70D they just released has a worse sensor in it than the E-PL5. It is more or less the same sensor as the one they had in every camera they made in the last few years, no advancement there at all.

I too am a former Canon user. Jumped ship when they stopped updating their cameras and failed to release many new APS-C (EF-S) lenses into their lineup (one L lens for example). Basically Canon is dying (but they're still huge, so it is like a dying elephant).

The EOS-M is the latest in a long line of Canon really failing as a company. There is something deeply wrong at Canon, they have "lost it" and it is going to take more than a few years to get it back. The 5D III was good but only if you ignore the D800.

Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,601

Jere Landis wrote:

Canon and Nikon have had decades to hone and perfect things like the ergonomics of their cameras, operation of their remote flash systems etc. Things work well and its small incremental upgrades now so nobody gets too excited or worked up (well ... apart from Canon shooters wanting the same clean shadow sensor tech that the competition has). Also, there are a large number of photographers there who are now very experienced with digital, so most of the questions have been answered.

Micro fourthirds however is still new with lots of things not working as well as they should - its an immature technology. So there's loads to bitch about here. Plus, there's a bag full of newbies who have only just managed to work out how to turn the camera on, let alone work out what depth of field means. Plus the small size of the cameras causes immense pen1s envy with a whole bunch. AND the refusal to accept the simple laws of physics in terms of mostly big really is better, means its REALLY busy around here 

ApertureAcolyte

Manip16 wrote:

Because Canon hasn't produced a good SLR in about three years, their sensors are antiquated, and people are jumping ship to Nikon, Fuji, Sony NEX, m43, and similar in droves.

The 70D they just released has a worse sensor in it than the E-PL5. It is more or less the same sensor as the one they had in every camera they made in the last few years, no advancement there at all.

I too am a former Canon user. Jumped ship when they stopped updating their cameras and failed to release many new APS-C (EF-S) lenses into their lineup (one L lens for example). Basically Canon is dying (but they're still huge, so it is like a dying elephant).

The EOS-M is the latest in a long line of Canon really failing as a company. There is something deeply wrong at Canon, they have "lost it" and it is going to take more than a few years to get it back. The 5D III was good but only if you ignore the D800.

Canon failed to realise that the DSLR video craze peaked, forgot about improving stills quality.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +1 more
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 11,859

We get cool toys and get to take them with us.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +8 more
Manip16 Contributing Member • Posts: 515

Canon failed to realise that the DSLR video craze peaked, forgot about improving stills quality.

Great point!

Yeah Canon really went into the video side of things whole hog. The 5D II was adapted to be a good video camera, the 5D III was designed to be one. Now you have people like Panasonic coming in and Black Magic, they're out-performing Canon at 1/3 the price, and Canon has no answer for that.

So they lost the still image war to Nikon and Sony (in the SLR space), and they're about to lose the video wars to Panasonic, Black Magic, and others.

So, yeah, they have their new EOS Cinema line of cameras which might be successful, but that is a really niche product indeed, it won't capture the larger scale consumer market.

Looking even at Canon rumours there isn't much even being discussed on the horizon. I mean they have another EOS-M camera with viewfinder set to come out, but now they're competing with themselves and trying to sell three mounts (EF, EF-S, and EF-M). Plus the lack of glass is a big problem, it is going to be hard to sell an EOS-M system when there are like three lenses compatible with it.

ApertureAcolyte

Big Ga wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

Canon and Nikon have had decades to hone and perfect things like the ergonomics of their cameras,

Really? Each to their own. I think the ergonomics of full frame DSLR's just plain suck. They are bloated boat anchors compared to 35mm Film SLR's

dougjgreen1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,317
Folks here have taken a divergent path - they need validation

Jere Landis wrote:

They also may generally have questions that can't be answered by your average camera salesperson, who knows little specific detail with respect to Micro 4/3 products.

Going with Canon or Nikon DSLRs is a conventional choice, requiring little external validation, and conventional wisdom about those systems abounds.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
eques Senior Member • Posts: 2,590
People jumping ship from Canon?

Manip16 wrote:

Interesting. I seem to remember that Canon sales are higher than all Nikon, Sony A and NEx and mFT together. Do you have the data, you are refering to?

Again I may be wrong, but I remember that Canon is the only company that makes profits from camera sales.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +3 more
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,114
Re: People jumping ship from Canon?

Manip16 wrote:

Interesting. I seem to remember that Canon sales are higher than all Nikon, Sony A and NEx and mFT together. Do you have the data, you are refering to?

Again I may be wrong, but I remember that Canon is the only company that makes profits from camera sales.

Peter.

True, but it can be dangerous to rely on old technology also if it works well and sell. Suddenly things happens and you see yourself caught up and left behind before you even notice it. Look at Nokia - world's leading cellphone manufacturer until not long ago. Who thought this flagship could sink as a stone?

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
dougjgreen1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,317
Re: People jumping ship from Canon?

eques wrote:.0

Peter.

Nikon certainly did, prior to getting skinned on the Nikon 1 system.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +11 more
007peter
007peter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,129
[The TRUTH] b/c M43 forum have to defend againt NEX, FF, APS-C attacks

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Less innovation. Less inspiration. Cynical product releases (EOS M)... and most important of all.... little to troll or argue about.

M43 system is trailblazing....making people insecure left, right and centre.

That is a rather righteous one-side-opinion. I owned M43, NEX, and EOS-M, in the past I owned several canon dslr.

The TRUTH is that M43 forum is very active because M43 forum must constantly defend against:

• NEX attacks
  • FF equivalence debate
  • Olympus vs Panasonic debates
  • APS-C vs M43 superiority-inferiority-debates
  • Why does M43 suck so bad in action shoot
  • Why M43 wil died
  • Why DSLR are doom

That is why there is so much activity here.  Its a dream forum for TROLL + DEFENDERS alike.  There is No Discussion about photography; no show & tell of what you took today; its all about being offensive (DSLR will died) or being defensive against troll attacks.  If you're honest with yourself, you know that spoke the TRUTH.

Canon forum is very quiet....and I like it like that.  Browsing any forum, and what strike me immediately  is the absence of trolls, nor any thread to defend itself.

• No FF Equivalence debates, since canon makes most of FF
  • No Canon will died attacks = no canon will survive counter-threads
  • No Sales Figure threads, no BCN/amazon numbers, because canon is ususally #1 
  • No Dual Brand Civil War either (Panasonic vs Olympus)
  • etc... etc...

M43 forum is WAR ZONE by comparison.  It is very exciting here.  I go to canon forums to talk about photography, then come here for flame war entertainment.  No a day goes by without some kind of attack and counter-attacks.  DPR loves this, since M43 forum generate so much activity and page turn here.

dennis tennis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,726

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

Canon and Nikon have had decades to hone and perfect things like the ergonomics of their cameras,

Really? Each to their own. I think the ergonomics of full frame DSLR's just plain suck. They are bloated boat anchors compared to 35mm Film SLR's

Big Ga's point was just made by you.

57 posts, DSLR ergonomic's sucks,  Yep, probably never owned a Pro FF body with Pro Grade lens.

So DSLR are boat anchors to 35mm Film SLR eh?  Well, go and pick up a Pro level Film DSLR.  They look pretty much like the Pro DSLR now.

nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,481
Simple meteorology

Jere Landis wrote:

Air masses move around.  They are made up of different temperatures and densities.

What you're seeing here is just differences in the volume of hot air.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus E-PL7
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,124

Jere Landis wrote:

After you left, there really was no reason to visit anymore.  

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha 7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +11 more
sdribetahi Contributing Member • Posts: 819

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

Jere Landis wrote:

They also don't need accessory grips just to hold them. Chew on that. Your hand isn't a rectangle.

JeanPierre Martel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,003

Jere Landis wrote:

I went over the the Canon forum I used to frequent a lot, guess what, the activity there is not near what it is here. Why do you think that is the case.

Interchangeable Lens Compacts in general (and m4/3 cameras more specifically) have started a revolution a few years ago, probably as important as the one one that reflex camera did a long time ago (vs rangefinders).

Since this family of cameras is new, we feel the need to add new lenses to our collection. So is the need to share information about them.

When a new lens is announced, there is a lot of expectations. Later, some are disappointed (often about the price), while others can't wait to share the photos taken with their new "toy".

Etc, etc., etc.

In a nutshell, we live in a very exciting epoch for photography.

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +24 more
Lights
Lights Veteran Member • Posts: 3,569
Re: A wrench (spanner) in the gears (nt)
-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
The Joker: Why so serious?

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,531

Jere Landis wrote:

I went over the the Canon forum I used to frequent a lot, guess what, the activity there is not near what it is here. Why do you think that is the case.

I see a lot of (sometimes flippant) theories in this thread, but nobody seems to have pointed out the actual most likely reason...

There are no less than four Canon DSLR forums, so that really dilutes the activity among them.   Contrast that with the M43 forum, where two separate manufacturers are lumped together, bringing the users of each into the same place.

No wonder there's more posts here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads