GX7 EVF great or not so great

Started Sep 27, 2013 | Polls
uberzone
uberzone Regular Member • Posts: 279
Re: GX7 EVF great or not so great

My first impression of the camera though is very very good. The battery is small and spares will be needed but of course no time yet to work out how the battery life is. One interesting thing - there's a rubber flap in the battery/SD card slot cover which reveals a small hole, e.g. for a cable of some sort. Does this mean some kind of accessory battery pack or mains adapter could be (or become) available?

Rick

Yes that would be for an AC adapter so you can power your camera directly from a wall socket.

 uberzone's gear list:uberzone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +16 more
nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,265
Comparing specs

Sony NEX-6       Viewfinder magnification 1.09x    Viewfinder resolution 2,359,000

Panasonic GH3   Viewfinder magnification 1.34x    Viewfinder resolution 1,744,000

Panasonic G6     Viewfinder magnification 1.4x     Viewfinder resolution 1,440,000

Panasonic GX7   Viewfinder magnification 1.39x    Viewfinder resolution 2,764,800

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

 nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
Schjeldal Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: Comparing specs

nevada5 wrote:

Sony NEX-6 Viewfinder magnification 1.09x

Panasonic GH3 Viewfinder magnification 1.34x

Panasonic G6 Viewfinder magnification 1.4x

Panasonic GX7 Vievinder magnification 1.39x

It is not quite so simple. The aspect ratio of the EVFs means a lot. I have just received my new GX7. On paper it has almost the same magnification as my old G1 (1.4x). But the 1.39x magnification in the GX7 EVF is when 16:9 ratio is used. In the G1 this magnification factor is appearent in the viewfinder when the native aspect ratio 4:3 is used. When 4:3 ratio aspect is used in the GX7 viewfinder there is a huge cropping of the viewfinder image and the magnification is significantly reduced. Big black areas in the sides of the viewfinder. - Personally I will be turning my head against the cheaper G6, as the viewfinder size is of great importance for me when composing photos.

Here are some illustrations: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3535810#forum-post-52022146

 Schjeldal's gear list:Schjeldal's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +5 more
Trevor Carpenter
OP Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,267
Re: Comparing specs
1

nevada5 wrote:

Sony NEX-6 Viewfinder magnification 1.09x Viewfinder resolution 2,359,000

Panasonic GH3 Viewfinder magnification 1.34x Viewfinder resolution 1,744,000

Panasonic G6 Viewfinder magnification 1.4x Viewfinder resolution 1,440,000

Panasonic GX7 Viewfinder magnification 1.39x Viewfinder resolution 2,764,800

This is why specs don't do a lot for me and why I value the opinions of people on these forums so much.

I have seen with my own eyes my G5 a G6 and a GX7 and believe me the GX7 just isn't in the same ball park.  Read the report above (thanks for posting) and it appears to be twice as good as any competitors.  The feeling that I must be wrong is I am going back to my local LCE tomorrow who have a GX7 and a G6 on display and I will try again.

My Galleries are a
http://picasaweb.google.com/trevorfcarpenter

 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
leo9 Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: Comparing specs

Schjeldal wrote:

nevada5 wrote:

Sony NEX-6 Viewfinder magnification 1.09x

Panasonic GH3 Viewfinder magnification 1.34x

Panasonic G6 Viewfinder magnification 1.4x

Panasonic GX7 Vievinder magnification 1.39x

It is not quite so simple. The aspect ratio of the EVFs means a lot. I have just received my new GX7. On paper it has almost the same magnification as my old G1 (1.4x). But the 1.39x magnification in the GX7 EVF is when 16:9 ratio is used. In the G1 this magnification factor is appearent in the viewfinder when the native aspect ratio 4:3 is used. When 4:3 ratio aspect is used in the GX7 viewfinder there is a huge cropping of the viewfinder image and the magnification is significantly reduced. Big black areas in the sides of the viewfinder. - Personally I will be turning my head against the cheaper G6, as the viewfinder size is of great importance for me when composing photos.

Here are some illustrations: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3535810#forum-post-52022146

Looking at those illustrations, I think the GX7's rectangle size may be incorrect.  The GX7 EVF has the same height as the NEX-7, which is one of the largest viewfinders.

If the GX7's rectangle was scaled down so it's total width fitted within the width of the NEX-7's rectangle, that would make more sense to me.  It's height would then be roughly the same as the Nikon 7100, which sounds about right based on what users have been saying.

 leo9's gear list:leo9's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +1 more
FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,071
Re: GX7 EVF great or not so great

Next to the one on my GF1, the EVF on the GX7 is going to be fantastic!

F.

somersetlad Regular Member • Posts: 254
Re: GX7 EVF great or not so great

Stimpy - early days, until I get into a Cathedral or such where I try to keep the iso down a bit, but light is not always good it is hard to tell. Though I like both brands I prefer Pana UI so the plan will be to ultimately part with the Oly - providing I can match its output with the GX7 - which I would think certainly do-able. Still leaves a choice of back up, which UI aside might be the EPL 5 as I do like best of both worlds.
John

 somersetlad's gear list:somersetlad's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +2 more
rcjim Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Comparing specs

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

nevada5 wrote:

Sony NEX-6 Viewfinder magnification 1.09x Viewfinder resolution 2,359,000

Panasonic GH3 Viewfinder magnification 1.34x Viewfinder resolution 1,744,000

Panasonic G6 Viewfinder magnification 1.4x Viewfinder resolution 1,440,000

Panasonic GX7 Viewfinder magnification 1.39x Viewfinder resolution 2,764,800

This is why specs don't do a lot for me and why I value the opinions of people on these forums so much.

I have seen with my own eyes my G5 a G6 and a GX7 and believe me the GX7 just isn't in the same ball park. Read the report above (thanks for posting) and it appears to be twice as good as any competitors. The feeling that I must be wrong is I am going back to my local LCE tomorrow who have a GX7 and a G6 on display and I will try again.

My Galleries are a
http://picasaweb.google.com/trevorfcarpenter

Well, currently 20 out of 25 people who have seen the GX7 vote "Great."  So are you still valuing the opinions of those in these forums?

 rcjim's gear list:rcjim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Dodge Man
Dodge Man Regular Member • Posts: 274
Re: GX7 EVF great or not so great
1

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

I was very unimpressed with the GX7s EVF and several others have commented similarly. Others have said how brilliant it is. If you've seen a GX7 perhaps you'd like to vote. It is hard to believe that views can be so different on a simple assessment.

Just got mine, I would say somewhere in between. It's a bit on the small side but bright & sharp. I like the tilt and will probably use it quite a bit.

Trevor Carpenter
OP Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,267
Re: Comparing specs
1

rcjim wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

nevada5 wrote:

Sony NEX-6 Viewfinder magnification 1.09x Viewfinder resolution 2,359,000

Panasonic GH3 Viewfinder magnification 1.34x Viewfinder resolution 1,744,000

Panasonic G6 Viewfinder magnification 1.4x Viewfinder resolution 1,440,000

Panasonic GX7 Viewfinder magnification 1.39x Viewfinder resolution 2,764,800

This is why specs don't do a lot for me and why I value the opinions of people on these forums so much.

I have seen with my own eyes my G5 a G6 and a GX7 and believe me the GX7 just isn't in the same ball park. Read the report above (thanks for posting) and it appears to be twice as good as any competitors. The feeling that I must be wrong is I am going back to my local LCE tomorrow who have a GX7 and a G6 on display and I will try again.

My Galleries are a
http://picasaweb.google.com/trevorfcarpenter

Well, currently 20 out of 25 people who have seen the GX7 vote "Great." So are you still valuing the opinions of those in these forums?

I do.  My only reservation with this forum is that the participants are a bit more passionate than the average man in  the street.  If the vote is that swayed, I have to think I'm wrong so I'm gong back to have another look tomorrow.  My only reservation is that sometimes on this forum there is a tendency for participants to say that what they have is best when they have never seen the opposition.  I try to keep an open mind and am perfectly happy to believe that the GX7 EVF is better than the G6s and I just didn't see it.

-
My Galleries are at
http://picasaweb.google.com/trevorfcarpenter

 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
John Buechler Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: Comparing specs
1

In the specs you have to include the NATIVE view finder panel ratio, ie: 16:9, 4:3, etc. John

 John Buechler's gear list:John Buechler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +24 more
Jerodequin
Jerodequin Senior Member • Posts: 1,288
Re: Comparing specs

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

nevada5 wrote:

Sony NEX-6 Viewfinder magnification 1.09x Viewfinder resolution 2,359,000

Panasonic GH3 Viewfinder magnification 1.34x Viewfinder resolution 1,744,000

Panasonic G6 Viewfinder magnification 1.4x Viewfinder resolution 1,440,000

Panasonic GX7 Viewfinder magnification 1.39x Viewfinder resolution 2,764,800

This is why specs don't do a lot for me and why I value the opinions of people on these forums so much.

I have seen with my own eyes my G5 a G6 and a GX7 and believe me the GX7 just isn't in the same ball park. Read the report above (thanks for posting) and it appears to be twice as good as any competitors. The feeling that I must be wrong is I am going back to my local LCE tomorrow who have a GX7 and a G6 on display and I will try again.

As have I but compared in-store to my GH2, and I disagree, my GH2 EVF has a slightly larger view, but the GX7 I tried had a sharper display with a visibly improved refresh rate, especially in low light.

It's obviously a subjective, personal thing, but I'll take slightly smaller, more detailed with superior colour reproduction and refresh rate over slightly larger.

 Jerodequin's gear list:Jerodequin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +14 more
gftphoto Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: GX7 EVF great or not so great

Assuming that Olympus is Panasonic's primary competition in MFT, does one have a significantly better EVF than the other?

ThePhilips Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Somewhere in the middle.

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

I was very unimpressed with the GX7s EVF and several others have commented similarly. Others have said how brilliant it is. If you've seen a GX7 perhaps you'd like to vote. It is hard to believe that views can be so different on a simple assessment.

(Con) It is relatively small. I expected it to be larger.

(Minor Con) One can see artifacts when moving eyes too fast around.

(Pro) Color reproduction is good.

(Pro) No visual artifacts in very bright or dark light.

(Pro) Refresh rate and lag seem to be sufficient for me. (But I haven't yet tried to shoot something moving.)

To be honest, I expected it to be larger. But I'm already used to smaller OVFs of entry-level DSLRs.

On the other side, the fact that it is an EVF and not OVF, to me personally is already a Pro of its own. (Disclosure: my first cam with an EVF.) I can see immediately effects like exposure compensation, white balance and color mode. (Also: level gauge.) To me, exposure compensation was always a game with DSLRs: you win some, you lose some (then you lose some more, due to forgotten exposure compensation from before). White balance was a total mystery, better lest on auto, untouched. Overall, I simply shot RAWs and fixed the rest in PP. Now with EVF, I actually see the real image which is going to be recorded and I have already mostly figured the WB, missed exposure compensation only once and do not need to realign my photos in PP since I can display the level at any time. After two sessions in RAW+JPEG mode, I have switched to JPEG-only and am pretty satisfied with the results. Right now I'm not even sure that I would ever want to trade the goodies of EVF for a better/larger/brighter OVF. (The only downside to EVF I have found to date is the slower refresh rate in low light.)

 ThePhilips's gear list:ThePhilips's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +9 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208
Re: GX7 EVF great or not so great

I tested the camera at a local shop. I really like the tiltable evf and the high res, but the rainbow effect is still a big issue for my eyes (I'm very subject to that effect...I had to return a dlp projector, for that, years ago).

 tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
babalu Regular Member • Posts: 325
Re: GX7 EVF great or not so great
2

Well , ladies and gents, I just now had a look through the OVF of my Nik D7000, and there is NO

comparison to GX7 ; GX7 beats nikon in every aspect.

- it is TILTABLE

- it is BRIGHTER (but can be dimmed if needed)

-holds ALL information

-can be used for review of stills (and enlarge/browse them),  or to view videos

(good in bright sunshine)

-can be used to change any menu setting (good in bright sunshine)

-contrary to some other comments in this thread , it has ABSOLUTELY NO tunnel feeling; the

size of the picture depends on ... the size of the picture chosen !  4:3 , 3:2, 16:9, 1:1  ...

9:16 for example is so huge that you have the feeling of looking at cinemascope .

For me, this is the best viewfinder I have used yet , beaten only by the heavy calibers of the

FF pro dinosaurs , and there only picture-wise, not functions-wise !

babalu Regular Member • Posts: 325
Re: GX7 EVF great or not so great

rcjim wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing about the GX7 EVF. I own the FZ200, which IMO has a fantastic EVF. Anyone own both the GX7 and FZ200 that can comment on how the EVFs compare?

I have the FZ200 and, since yesterday, the GX7 . The GX7 plays in a higher league altogether,

barring of course the  FZ200's whopping 2.8 aperture throughout the zoom rage . As for the EVF,

the GX7's dwarfs the FZ200 in every aspect (and of course, it's tiltable

Trevor Carpenter
OP Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,267
Re: GX7 EVF great or not so great

babalu wrote:

Well , ladies and gents, I just now had a look through the OVF of my Nik D7000, and there is NO

I don't understand how I managed to get it so wrong.  My OP post said exactly what I saw and a few others clearly had similar reservations.   Can it be something with the way it is configured.  I wear glasses but I don't that would have had such an impact.

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +1 more
Schjeldal Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: GX7 EVF great or not so great

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

babalu wrote:

Well , ladies and gents, I just now had a look through the OVF of my Nik D7000, and there is NO

I don't understand how I managed to get it so wrong. My OP post said exactly what I saw and a few others clearly had similar reservations. Can it be something with the way it is configured. I wear glasses but I don't that would have had such an impa

I have just returned my GX7 after two days of considerations. It was a very nice camera with almost everything as I wanted including a tiltable viewfinder. Unfortunately the EVF did not work very well together with my variofocal glasses. Even if my glasses are made of very flexible titanium and can be pressed close to the eye, it was impossible for me to see the picture in the EVF, when it displayed pictures in  16:9 or 3:2 aspect ratios. OK these ratios are not of big importance for me and when the EVF was displying pictures in aspect ratio 4:3 I could see the hole picture at a glance, and furthermore in a quality far ahead of the picture I am used to in the EVF of  my G1. Except for one thing: the size. This is unfortunetaly a deal breaker for me. I understand that people with good vision or people coming from the smaller OVFs in APS DSLRs are exited about the EVF of the GX7. It was with mixed feelings I had to return the GX7. None of the M43 alternatives with bigger EVFs are ideal:  The two topmodels from Olympus have much bigger EVFs but the one have a clumsy add-on EVF and the other one is too expensive. Then there is the G6 which is relatively cheap, and also feels cheap in the hand, but at least have an EVF in a size and an aspect ratio of 4:3 which is comparable  with my current G1.

 Schjeldal's gear list:Schjeldal's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +5 more
pH77
pH77 Junior Member • Posts: 47
GX7 EVF not so great
1

GX7 EVF not so great. In fact, I am returning my copy of this camera just because of the EVF. I have been using it for about a week and during this time I was not able to adjust the diopter correction properly. Image in the VF can never get sharp and on the LCD, that has much less pixels, I can see every detail much much better. I wanted to use GX7 and it's focus peaking and magnified PIP with the Voigtlanders but the EVF does quite ruin my experience. Yes, I can frame the picture quite well with it, but I feel as if I had my glasses off.

With VF-2 in my E-M5, on the other hand, I have nothing to complain about in this regard. It is at least as sharp as the OLED (if not sharper), it has considerably bigger 4:3 view (the GX7's 16:9 EVF when cropped to 4:3 is definitely smaller) and it does not tear the image to rainbow.

I even tried another copy of GX7 in my camera store but I did not see any difference. I will try it again, because I loved all the features of GX7 and I think it is a great camera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads