Dull Day in the Street-Not, IR DP2

Started Sep 24, 2013 | Discussions
SigmaTog
SigmaTog Contributing Member • Posts: 861
Dull Day in the Street-Not, IR DP2

Thanks to Gary

I have no clue what is happening here, Gary told me to use a WB on the full spectrum DP2 camera. I have liked mono IR & have dabbled in colour & astro filters & liked the effects BUT nothing beats this, WB in a full spectrum Sigma / Foveon Camera ! I have a limited understanding of White Balance & Colour Temperature, but what happens when it is used on a full spectrum Foveon sensor, who cares, it is one of those rare life experienced when you say FARRRRK !

Credit to Gary Radford for opening the door

Full Spectrum camera, grey card WB, no PP SOOC

Full Spectrum camera, grey card WB, as above to mono

Full Spectrum camera, grey card WB, from the mono back to the custom WB, but the red is blown.

Full Spectrum camera, grey card WB, reduced the red with + 41 cyan.

Full Spectrum camera, grey card WB, from the reduced red then -2 saturation to remove the colour & presto !

atom14
atom14 Senior Member • Posts: 2,163
Re: Dull Day in the Street-Not, IR DP2

For me, #3, BUT, the cyan has affect the pole and the garage doors too much.

It does add a bit of contrast to the palm (and all) foliage, though. Maybe a little bit of PP

is really necessary.

atom14.

SigmaTog
OP SigmaTog Contributing Member • Posts: 861

Yep, thanks for looking atom

Yes the pole could go & the power lines too.

Just a fun exercise to see the effects of this WB business in Full Spectrum on a Foveon Sensor.

Lots of funky fun here with these colours

I love my Naked Foveon

ΣigmaTog

G Radford Contributing Member • Posts: 889

That's the stuff !! The bw versions look almost normal, instead of the usual white foliage. The last color version is the one I'd go for. My thing is the Aerochrome look, but you may have a different vision. I find that a bit of selective processing can really make your images pop. -Gary

G Radford's gear list:G Radford's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus E-M1 Sigma sd Quattro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +1 more
SigmaTog

Thanks Gary

Yep always learning

I sent you a private message the other day too.

ΣigmaTog

oregonyankee
oregonyankee Regular Member • Posts: 107

I rather like the first color photo. These and other IR photos I've been seeing here lately are inspiring me to try some full spectrum photography with my SD1. If I can produce something remotely similar to what I've been seeing, I'll be quite happy (now if only it would stop raining here). This looks like great fun!

oregonyankee's gear list:oregonyankee's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art
SigmaTog

It is as simple as popping the dust filter & you are on you way.

Do as Gary says & do a custom WB on a grey card in full sun.

You won't have live view, but you'll be able to compose & you'll learn to adjust the exposure compensation down to a suitable level.....I use manual setting.

I use a CPL but it is not necessary.

ΣigmaTog

SigmaTog

I just found out what to do with the dust protector when you take it out of the SD camera....

The two lens cap & body cap screw / lock together......that makes a nice secure place to place the dust protector inside

ΣigmaTog

SigmaTog

Gary I have sent you a private message.

Col

PavelAKACert Regular Member • Posts: 186

Try B+W 090 or similar soft red filter. It allows foliage to stand out and results are much more friendly for color adjustment. Shifting color of whole image doesn't create weird artifacts (If I remember, I will post example of different color, just shifting hue in PS, so you know what I mean.)

Here is example of DP1 with B+W 090:

WB was done in SPP. DP1 can't set custom WB even with soft red filter.

-- hide signature --

DP1 - full spectrum, DP2M

SigmaTog

Thanks PavelAKACert

This is a great IR thanks for showing it.

This thread is a follow-on from two threads from Gary Radford

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3549418#forum-post-52198610

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3550697#forum-post-52215857

Gary has introduced me / us to a Sigma Camera Rich Full Spectrum technique & setting a custom WB in full spectrum. This gives an impressive photo Straight Out Of Camera.

ΣigmaTog

Here you go. RGB versions, just by moving hue slider. All because the soft red filter desaturated buildings(after balancing white). Resulting sky and foliage is a matter of taste. Full spectrum version would be much harder to process.

-- hide signature --

DP1, DP2M

oregonyankee

These photos don't feature any attractive young women (as those posted by Sigmatog). However, inspired by all the IR full spectrum photos I've been seeing here lately, I thought I'd try my hand at the process tonight.

No, they are not great photos, but it was fun to get my feet wet. Oh.....the last photo is utter rubbish. I'm only posting it because it shows the name of the street I live one, which seemed kind of poetic tonight.

Played with the hue slider to obtain the yellow/green color

Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art
SigmaTog

That's good oregonyankee

Keep turning those leaves..........

You are on your way to Sigma Rich Full SpectrumPhotography

I don't have a Merrill camera, but I use manual mode & I use -1 to -2 exposure compensation.

Another tip I worked out the other day.....If you screw the lens cap & body caps together, it makes a nice safe home for the dust protector

Keep up the good work oregonyankee.........& the chicks might come to you !

ΣigmaTog

SigmaTog

I for got to mention too oregonyankee, a CPL filter works well too

ΣigmaTog

oregonyankee

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement Sigmatog. It is greatly appreciated!

I tried out your trick to screw the lens cap & body caps together. It works beautifully.

I'm now anxious to try out some filters, as you mentioned. All and all I'm thrilled to have "discovered" this new niche of photography.

I wonder....did Sigma intentionally make the IR filter so easy to remove, or was it just happenstance?

oregonyankee wrote:

I wonder....did Sigma intentionally make the IR filter so easy to remove, or was it just happenstance?

Probably intentional to allow sensor access for cleaning etc. In case of DP cameras it's glued and the only way to remove it is to break it. But it's behind a fixed lens anyway.

-- hide signature --

DP1, DP2M

oregonyankee

That does make sense Pavel. Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads