iPhone 5s is in the DPReview studio database! & a quick comparison to the 1020

Started Sep 21, 2013 | Discussions
Menneisyys Senior Member • Posts: 1,458
iPhone 5s is in the DPReview studio database! & a quick comparison to the 1020

DPReview has just published their standard studio shots of the iPhone 5s:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2170241431/iphone-5s-studio-comparison?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text-comment&ref=comments_0_0#comments

The same database also contains the 1020, the iPhone 5 and some other smartphone flagships.

A quick note: Regrettably, the Nokia 808, the LG G2 or the Sony Z1 aren't in the DPReview database. Regarding the latter, only the older Z is available and it delivers really inferior results to any of the current flagships. As far as the current data on the LG G2 is concerned, it, regrettably, has considerably lower video resolution and higher sharpening than the rest of high-end phones (1020, iPhone 5/5s, GS4). It has around 900p resolution according to GSMArena's comparometer at http://www.gsmarena.com/vidcmp.php3?idType=3&idPhone1=5543&idPhone2=5371&idPhone3=4910 , while the iPhone 4S and 5 nicely deliver true 1080p. As I've pointed out several times, the Samsung GS4 doesn't seem to have a low-pass filter. The results of this can easily be spotted in the video results: as with the faulty downsampler of the 1020, it introduces tons of false detail over the Nyquist threshold. This is unacceptable. Let me the real-world results of this, compared to the 808 and the LG G2 (I've selected the G2 here to prove it indeed has somewhat lower resolution in video than the 808 / all the 1080p-capable iPhones):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33448355@N07/9854600536/

See the absolutely awful aliasing effects over the 10-11 signs, not present in the 808 / G2 framegrabs?

The 1020 has, when using its full-res mode and doing the downsampling on the desktop (to avoid the messed-up in-camera downsampling in the 1020), has considerably better IQ than the iPhone 5s, let alone the iPhone 5. (The 5s indeed has considerably less noise but it's in no way as clean as the 1020, assuming the same target size. You can easily make the DPReview comparometer do the downsampling online by clicking the “Print” icon in the upper right.)

I've made two crops clearly showing this. The first ISO12233 reschart crop + color saturation tester:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33448355@N07/9854528645/

As you can see, the 5s, while having the same effective resolution, produces a far less noisy image than the iPhone 5. The properly (again, not using the currently pretty cr@ppy in-camera downsampler!) downsampled full-res image of the 1020, on the other hand, delivers way less noise and considerably more effective resolution. The GS4's downsampled image has about the same noise and resolution as the 5s (and significantly less noise than the 5). It, therefore, can't come close to that of the 1020.

A “real-world” (read: no-12233) resolution and noise tester:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33448355@N07/9854591373/

The 1020 is the best of the four here too. The GS4 shows a lot of oversharpening effects but, despite those, just can't deliver the “Nationalbank” subtitle reliably. The subtitle is almost unreadable on the two iPhones' shot. The rendition quality of the upper right coin, with pretty much homogenous color, is the best on the 1020. The upper left one's rendition particularly suffers from the GS4's oversharpening.

Corner softness & CA in practice

We all know how bad the 1020 is in the corners (as opposed to the 808). Let's compare it to the three above smartphones!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33448355@N07/9855098156/

(Upper right corner. The lens behave in exactly the same way on all the four tested cameras in all corners. That is, this corner is representative of corner sharpness & CA.)

As you can see, the 1020 definitely lags behind the others. Yes, as I've recommended in my previous article at http://mynokiablog.com/2013/07/18/mnb-rg-nokia-1020-still-image-quality-any-good/ , you WILL want to use cropping if you shoot in 16:9. Let me point out again that, if you crop 16:9 to 3:2 horizontally but not vertically (that is, not removing any of the pixel rows, only the columns), you can get rid of the entire offending area, which is 10% on both sides. Just make sure you compose your shoot accordingly and don't let anything important in the outermost 10% region. While this certainly reduces the field-of-view of the lens, it'll still be around 33mm equiv after the crop – that is, that of the iPhone 5 / 5s in stills mode.

Interestingly, the 5s seems to behave somewhat worse in the corners than the 5. The latter is definitely sharper there. The best is the GS4, oversharpening aside.

Conclusion

All in all,

- the 5s delivers better, less noisy images than the iPhone 5
- it, however, has somewhat worse corner sharpness than the previous model (as was easy to predict, given that the lens is brighter and the sensor larger, while the lens is of the same size. 808 vs. 1020 effect, albeit not as pronounced.)
- the 1020 delivers considerably better images, both noise- and resolution-wise, than any of the iPhones, if you shoot full-size and downsample on the desktop. Before it's fixed, avoid using the output in-camera downsampler for serious shooting!
- however, the 1020 has definitely worse corner & left/right border sharpness than even the iPhone 5s, let alone the, in this regard, better-than-5s iPhone 5. Shoot in 16:9 and crop afterwards to compltely get rid of the problem.

OP Menneisyys Senior Member • Posts: 1,458
Re: iPhone 5s is in the DPReview studio database! & a quick comparison to the 1020

BTW, I've created two very interesting comparative crops, now, using another region of the original DPReview test chart: the three-colored text on the top center.

This is the print-res (the 38 Mpixel 1020 / 13 Mpixel GS4 shots downsampled so that they can be directly compared to the 8 Mpixel iPhone 5 / 5s shots) comparison between the four top smartphones:

The two iPhones deliver pretty much the same, legibility-wise. The iPhone 5 applies a little more sharpening because of the stronger NR, which makes text a little bit less readable. However, the difference is negligible.

The GS4 fares significantly better than the two iPhones and, as was easy to predict, the 1020 delivers the best results. With the latter, approximately the first eight rows of the text can be read, while with the iPhone 5s, about the first three and, with the GS4, about the first six. The iPhone 5 fares the worst in this test because of its aggressive sharpening – it's not possible to safely read even the first three rows.

With this text, it's REALLY worth checking out the resolution advantage of the full-res shoot. This is the full-res comparison between the four top smartphones:

As you can see, it's only the last three rows of the text that can't be read – a much-much better result than even that pf the GS4, let alone the two iPhones.

That is, this test definitely shows the 1020 has much better effective resolution in low(ish) light than any of the three other phones. (Again, all this when using the native, full-res image.)

bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,490
Re: iPhone 5s is in the DPReview studio database! & a quick comparison to the 1020

How can you tell the 1020 has a faulty down sampler for 1080 video? It does not seem any data is available for comparing using GSM arena comparitor.

bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X

Think the iPhone 5s does relatively well and is an improvement over the 5. The slightly soft corners can be forgiven, as it is only slightly soft, and I suspect one may not even see it s real life images too much. The 1020's soft corners are more substantial and can be seen in day to day image captures.

Also wishing that the new DP review would port over more phones like the 808 to it's new studio scene comparison, and better yet have the pureview mode available for the 1020, as I suspect the corner performance will appear to be better at a lower resolution.

Apple iPhone X

bigley Ling wrote:

Think the iPhone 5s does relatively well and is an improvement over the 5. The slightly soft corners can be forgiven, as it is only slightly soft, and I suspect one may not even see it s real life images too much. The 1020's soft corners are more substantial and can be seen in day to day image captures.

Yup, as I've also mentioned above, the 5s indeed produces better images than the 5. Too bad it's just insufficient to beat the GS4, let alone the 808 / 1020.

Also wishing that the new DP review would port over more phones like the 808 to it's new studio scene comparison, and better yet have the pureview mode available for the 1020, as I suspect the corner performance will appear to be better at a lower resolution.

The 1020 review did have the 5Mp shots - see page 9 at http://connect.dpreview.com/post/5234892048/nokia-lumia-1020-camera-review?page=9 . The corners are equally bad in the downsampled version. This is why I'm telling people to shoot in either 4:3 and crop the left/rightmost 2*7% of the frame or in 16:9 and crop to 3:2 (or, at least, the outermost 2*10%).

Menneisyys wrote:

The 1020 review did have the 5Mp shots - see page 9 at http://connect.dpreview.com/post/5234892048/nokia-lumia-1020-camera-review?page=9 . The corners are equally bad in the downsampled version. This is why I'm telling people to shoot in either 4:3 and crop the left/rightmost 2*7% of the frame or in 16:9 and crop to 3:2 (or, at least, the outermost 2*10%).

Ah, different area. I was just looking at the standard new dp review studio comparison chart, which had the 1020 compared at full resolution.

Actually, from tha t page 9 review on connect, the 920's corner performance is not that hot either. but less noticeable than the 1020, partly since the 1020 has higher resolution sensor which can reveal more.

Think the 808 does best with the largest sensor and largest optic imho.

Apple iPhone X

bigley Ling wrote:

Think the 808 does best with the largest sensor and largest optic imho.

Yup, it does. Too bad it's not in the DPReview DB (and unlikely to be ever included, I'm afraid.)

BTW, after carefully examining the EXIF data of DPR's images, it seems the 5s have a somewhat wider lens (30 mm vs. the 33mm of the iPhone 5).

This is certainly a step in the right direction but, unfortunately, still doesn't match the 25-28mm of the alternatives. (Wide lens is preferable on a phone, which is mostly used for "social" snaps and definitely not for "pro" stuff like shallow-DoF portraits.)

Unfortunately, as can also be seen in Mark Guim's video at http://mynokiablog.com/2013/09/22/nokia-lumia-1020-gsmarena-review-is-up-1020-demolishes-the-iphone5s , the video footage of the 5s is still using a way narrower FoV than the still mode of the same camera - or, of course, the 1020 (808 / 92x). Again, 38-40mm equiv FoV is already too narrow for casual "social" shooting. Should you want something wider, you'll need to completely disable EIS to widen the FoV by about 10% (my dedicated article: http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/why-you-may-want-disable-image-stabilization-during-video-recording ) or wait for my 5s-compliant full sensor downsampler (my iPhone 5 version is at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1538193 ). (Hope it'll produce faster-fps footage than with previous iPhone models.)

yes it may be very sad. I do not know why they even bothered to include the over 1 year old Z, since the Z1 will replace it. One has to remember the 808 is not that much older.

Apple iPhone X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads