Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?

Started Sep 18, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
cdennis Regular Member • Posts: 217
Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?

Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers make an interchangeable type zoom lens for a large sensor mirrorless body (zoom somewhere in the range of 28 - 100 mm) that can retract when powered off to a thickness similar to the built in lenses on cameras like the Canon G16, Sony RX100, etc.?  Thanks.

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?

cdennis wrote:

Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers make an interchangeable type zoom lens for a large sensor mirrorless body (zoom somewhere in the range of 28 - 100 mm) that can retract when powered off to a thickness similar to the built in lenses on cameras like the Canon G16, Sony RX100, etc.? Thanks.

The closest you're going to get with Sony NEX-3N or 5R/5T with 16-50 PZ lens. But if you are okay with smaller sensors (up to 1"), RX100 itself.

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Prime85 Senior Member • Posts: 1,013
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?
1

How about the Olympus OM-D with the Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm.  Which is a 28-84mm equivalent.

GodSpeaks
GodSpeaks Forum Pro • Posts: 11,719
Sony QX100 (nt)
-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

 GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +45 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 14,315
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?
1

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

cdennis wrote:

Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers make an interchangeable type zoom lens for a large sensor mirrorless body (zoom somewhere in the range of 28 - 100 mm) that can retract when powered off to a thickness similar to the built in lenses on cameras like the Canon G16, Sony RX100, etc.? Thanks.

The closest you're going to get with Sony NEX-3N or 5R/5T with 16-50 PZ lens. But if you are okay with smaller sensors (up to 1"), RX100 itself.

RX100 is fixed lens.

gandalfII Senior Member • Posts: 1,952
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?
1

Several m43 lenses retract, eg oly 9-18.  However AFAIK no interchangeable lens retracts as far as a fixed lens does.

peevee1 Senior Member • Posts: 6,247
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?
1

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

cdennis wrote:

Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers make an interchangeable type zoom lens for a large sensor mirrorless body (zoom somewhere in the range of 28 - 100 mm) that can retract when powered off to a thickness similar to the built in lenses on cameras like the Canon G16, Sony RX100, etc.? Thanks.

The closest you're going to get with Sony NEX-3N or 5R/5T with 16-50 PZ lens. But if you are okay with smaller sensors (up to 1"), RX100 itself.

Panasonic 14-42 PZ is smaller than Sony 16-50 PZ, and of much higher quality. And its 28-84 equivalent is closer to the requested range than Sony's 24-75mm equivalent (although I think the latter is actually more useful as you can always crop/digital zoom a little).

Red5TX
Red5TX Senior Member • Posts: 1,586
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?

ILC?  No.  But the Canon G1X is a lot like what you're describing.

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?

peevee1 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

cdennis wrote:

Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers make an interchangeable type zoom lens for a large sensor mirrorless body (zoom somewhere in the range of 28 - 100 mm) that can retract when powered off to a thickness similar to the built in lenses on cameras like the Canon G16, Sony RX100, etc.? Thanks.

The closest you're going to get with Sony NEX-3N or 5R/5T with 16-50 PZ lens. But if you are okay with smaller sensors (up to 1"), RX100 itself.

Panasonic 14-42 PZ is smaller than Sony 16-50 PZ, and of much higher quality. And its 28-84 equivalent is closer to the requested range than Sony's 24-75mm equivalent (although I think the latter is actually more useful as you can always crop/digital zoom a little).

The lens might be smaller, as is the sensor, the body is bigger, consequently they aren't much different (and here pitted against RX100):

Top View: Sony NEX-3N w/16-50 PZ, Panasonic GF1 w/14-42 PZ, Sony RX100 II

Front View: Sony NEX-3N w/16-50 PZ, Panasonic GF1 w/14-42 PZ, Sony RX100 II

And Panasonic indeed does a good job covering up the lens' shortcomings with in-camera corrections (applied even to RAW).

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
sigala1 Senior Member • Posts: 3,634
I do not like the Panasonic 14-42mm pancake zoom

cdennis wrote:

Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers make an interchangeable type zoom lens for a large sensor mirrorless body (zoom somewhere in the range of 28 - 100 mm) that can retract when powered off to a thickness similar to the built in lenses on cameras like the Canon G16, Sony RX100, etc.? Thanks.

Panasonic makes exactly the lens you are looking for.

Unfortunately, I have used the lens and the image quality just isn't there; it lags considerably behind other kit lenses. Maybe it's because of "shutter shock" issues I have with the lens, but it doens't really matter what the reason is if it doesn't work for me. And zooming it using the little lever on the lens sucks--there's no step zoom feature when using the lens with Olympus cameras. And the lens produces massive purple fringing on Olympus cameras.

Even the smallest m43 camera with that lens is quite a bit less pocketable than a camera like an RX100 II.

cdennis OP Regular Member • Posts: 217
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?

The Canon G1x was near the top of my list of options to consider for a fairly compact body with high image quality at high ISOs.  However, the reviews indicate that AF is pretty slow, and that led me to look at other options including mirrorless removable lens options since their sensors are so large.  I'm trying to find something that has as much tele reach as possible but could still fit in a fanny pack or similar small carrier.

The choices I've looked at to date are:  Canon G16, Sony RX100 ii, Nikon P7800, Olympus Stylus XZ-2, Fuji X20.  Of course, they all have advantages and disadvantages since there is no perfect solution.  I've yet to get the time to investigate the numerous options of mirrorless + compact lenses; hence the post looking for a system with a lens with some reach of hopefully ~100 mm that might retract when powered down to be a fairly compact thickness.

peevee1 Senior Member • Posts: 6,247
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

cdennis wrote:

Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers make an interchangeable type zoom lens for a large sensor mirrorless body (zoom somewhere in the range of 28 - 100 mm) that can retract when powered off to a thickness similar to the built in lenses on cameras like the Canon G16, Sony RX100, etc.? Thanks.

The closest you're going to get with Sony NEX-3N or 5R/5T with 16-50 PZ lens. But if you are okay with smaller sensors (up to 1"), RX100 itself.

Panasonic 14-42 PZ is smaller than Sony 16-50 PZ, and of much higher quality. And its 28-84 equivalent is closer to the requested range than Sony's 24-75mm equivalent (although I think the latter is actually more useful as you can always crop/digital zoom a little).

The lens might be smaller, as is the sensor, the body is bigger, consequently they aren't much different (and here pitted against RX100):

Top View: Sony NEX-3N w/16-50 PZ, Panasonic GF1 w/14-42 PZ, Sony RX100 II

Front View: Sony NEX-3N w/16-50 PZ, Panasonic GF1 w/14-42 PZ, Sony RX100 II

Why choosing GF1, it is ancient and long out of production. See with GF5. Even smaller Panasonic is upcoming.

And Panasonic indeed does a good job covering up the lens' shortcomings with in-camera corrections (applied even to RAW).

It is your conjecture.

Here is the comparison.

Wide angle:

Sony 16-50 @16/3.5

Pana 14-42 PZ @14/3.5

Normal:

Sony 16-50 @ 35/5.6 (its fastest at this FL)

Pana 14-42 PZ @ 24/5.6 (could be opened up to f/4.8 in low light if needed)

Not such a big difference, but still.

peevee1 Senior Member • Posts: 6,247
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?

cdennis wrote:

The Canon G1x was near the top of my list of options to consider for a fairly compact body with high image quality at high ISOs. However, the reviews indicate that AF is pretty slow, and that led me to look at other options including mirrorless removable lens options since their sensors are so large. I'm trying to find something that has as much tele reach as possible but could still fit in a fanny pack or similar small carrier.

The choices I've looked at to date are: Canon G16, Sony RX100 ii, Nikon P7800, Olympus Stylus XZ-2, Fuji X20. Of course, they all have advantages and disadvantages since there is no perfect solution. I've yet to get the time to investigate the numerous options of mirrorless + compact lenses; hence the post looking for a system with a lens with some reach of hopefully ~100 mm that might retract when powered down to be a fairly compact thickness.

If you want viewfinder, reach and compactness, you are better off with G16. If viewfinder is not necessary (or you can live with an add-on), RX100 II is without competition so far.

EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?

peevee1 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

cdennis wrote:

Does anyone know if any of the manufacturers make an interchangeable type zoom lens for a large sensor mirrorless body (zoom somewhere in the range of 28 - 100 mm) that can retract when powered off to a thickness similar to the built in lenses on cameras like the Canon G16, Sony RX100, etc.? Thanks.

The closest you're going to get with Sony NEX-3N or 5R/5T with 16-50 PZ lens. But if you are okay with smaller sensors (up to 1"), RX100 itself.

Panasonic 14-42 PZ is smaller than Sony 16-50 PZ, and of much higher quality. And its 28-84 equivalent is closer to the requested range than Sony's 24-75mm equivalent (although I think the latter is actually more useful as you can always crop/digital zoom a little).

The lens might be smaller, as is the sensor, the body is bigger, consequently they aren't much different (and here pitted against RX100):

Top View: Sony NEX-3N w/16-50 PZ, Panasonic GF1 w/14-42 PZ, Sony RX100 II

Front View: Sony NEX-3N w/16-50 PZ, Panasonic GF1 w/14-42 PZ, Sony RX100 II

Why choosing GF1, it is ancient and long out of production. See with GF5. Even smaller Panasonic is upcoming.

When that happens. GF5 is actually deeper than GF1.

And Panasonic indeed does a good job covering up the lens' shortcomings with in-camera corrections (applied even to RAW).

It is your conjecture.

That Panasonic does a good job influencing RAW outputs as well? Or that it applies heavy corrections in RAW as well? Apparently, the Panasonic 14-42 Power Zoom sets a new record for optical distortion (-6.81% barrel distortion is quite impressive, if that is your definition of greatness) and even though the Sony isn't great, it is only slightly better.

So, while you're already giving up 4mm equivalent at the wide angle (24mm in Sony 16-50 versus 28mm in Panasonic 14-42), distortion correction is likely eating more into it. But then, most m4/3 seem more enthused by telephoto reach.

Neither lens make my personal cut, however, if that were key, why not just skip ILCs and go with RX100?

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
cdennis OP Regular Member • Posts: 217
Re: Mirrorless with a retractable zoom lens?

I've been considering the RX100.  The G16 viewfinder is not a big deal to me.  From the dpreview high ISO tests, and comparing the two at longest focal lengths, the G16 can achieve F2.8 vs RX100 at 4.9, so it looks to me like the G16 image quality at almost 2 stops faster has comparable image quality to the RX100 if using the lower ISO available to the G16 (G15 in the review).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads