BIF- Bat in Flight

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions
kittykat23uk
kittykat23uk Senior Member • Posts: 1,183
BIF- Bat in Flight

I was on Safari once again and the lodge we stayed at put out banana to attract the bush babies and these guys, Peter's Epaulated Fruit Bat. It gave my E-620, 50-200 and FL50R a good work out. I had many misses, any advice for shooting wildlife in the dark with this combo would be appreciated. The biggest problems I have are, the lens hunting lots and when I do lock on, sometimes when I press the shutter it seems to default to a long exposure, despite the flash being fully charged? I variously tried Aperture mode, and Auto, and also prefocusing on a beam at rughly the same distance that the bats were flying around. I also tried Manual focus and S-AF + MF but I think in the end, S-AF and a lot of luck got me this shot. It is a bit sharper than it looks on here.

All the best

Jo

-- hide signature --
 kittykat23uk's gear list:kittykat23uk's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Olympus E-620 (EVOLT E-620)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dharma108 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,740
Re: BIF- Bat in Flight

Yeah--that is a very cool shot of an extremely difficult subject. Surprised you don't have more responses. You can see the sharpness very well when you go to the larger size.

Thanks for posting this on. Dharma

dharma108's gear list:dharma108's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +27 more
19andrew47
19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 33,699

I simply can not imagine trying to shot bats in the dark!  Amazing you got anything!

Andrew

kittykat23uk
OP kittykat23uk Senior Member • Posts: 1,183

Thanks both! The Bush Babies were difficult enough, but these bats were a real challenge!

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,337

Zounds, this is a first-time seeing for me, around these parts. Tough subject and well done! Having tired hummingbirds and the like, I simply can't imaging doing that in the pitch dark.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Danielvr Veteran Member • Posts: 4,941

I had many misses, any advice for shooting wildlife in the dark with this combo would be appreciated. The biggest problems I have are, the lens hunting lots and when I do lock on, sometimes when I press the shutter it seems to default to a long exposure, despite the flash being fully charged?

Do everything manually; put the camera on a tripod pointing upwards, use a fairly wide focal length (eg 40-80mm depending on where the bats fly - they shouldn't become too small but the angle should be wide enough to actually catch them), choose a small aperture for lots of focus depth and use ISO 200 to avoid noise. Set focus manually to the approximate distance of the bats. Set the flash to manual as well and set its power to what you expect will be needed for the combination of ISO, aperture and distance. Make a couple of test shots until you get the exposure right. Then setup a comfy stretcher near the cam, lie down and shoot whenever you see a bat fly over. With some luck, quite a few will be sharp and correctly exposed. If it's really dark and the sky is clear and there are no branches in sight, you can even keep the shutter open for a minute or so, and just fire the flash whenever a bat swoops along -- that way you will get multiple bats in each image. I've done something like this a couple of years ago with some success, but I had to improvise and use the internal flash of my E-510. When you're prepared and have a powerful flash that recharges quickly, it should work quite well.

Danielvr's gear list:Danielvr's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +2 more
Bobby J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,878
Re:Pretty darn good I'd say. Not sure

what I'd think to do in such a situation.  You did very well to get this I think.

-- hide signature --

BJM

Bobby J's gear list:Bobby J's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +12 more
Geo Wharton Senior Member • Posts: 1,389
Re: Holy BIF Batman!

Nice job, that has to be a tough shot to get!

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL6 +37 more
Braxton7
Braxton7 Contributing Member • Posts: 882

Looks good to me but that thing is kind of creepy  LOL. Yikes!

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
ashgupta61 Regular Member • Posts: 126

Very well done. Thanks for the tips

-Ash

ashgupta61's gear list:ashgupta61's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
kittykat23uk

Thanks for the tips!

-- hide signature --
kittykat23uk

I like bats, when we were all eating around the boma, they put banana all along the fence around us so every now and then you'd hear this little scuffle and see a bat disappearing off with his meal. Not good if you have a phobia though! I think one lady guest was somewhat perturbed by them, but I loved it!!

-- hide signature --
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724

Wow that is really fantastic.

I once saw an article with a setup with triggers to shoot bats. You have proved you don't need it.

How many frames did you use.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
kittykat23uk

Thanks all!

-- hide signature --
kittykat23uk

Wow that is really fantastic.

I once saw an article with a setup with triggers to shoot bats. You have proved you don't need it.

How many frames did you use.

Thanks Col, I spent a couple of evenings trying to get the shot! Lots of frames!
--
My Website

http://www.kats-korner-uk.com/index1.html

Rich Z
Rich Z Veteran Member • Posts: 9,973

Wonderful shot, Jo. I can't imagine how many shots it would have taken me to get a good one under those circumstances. You didn't give up, and look what you got! Very nice, indeed! Rich

http://photobucket.com/dfr49_pix

kittykat23uk

Thank you Rich Z.

-- hide signature --
Braxton7
Braxton7 Contributing Member • Posts: 882

I'm still laughing about that picture. Looks like a fox terrier with wings coming for my neck:). I can find most creatures kind of cuddly but that one not so much. Still now I'm a bit intrigued. There are some caves around here with large bat populations.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 15,867

that is extraordinarily good

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads