Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

Started Sep 16, 2013 | Discussions
romullus New Member • Posts: 22
Defishing. Which projection do you prefer
2

I was never a big fan of defishing of any kind. I thought, and in fact still think, that beauty of fisheye is in... ermm, fisheye distortion by itself. But then i bought fe lens, tried to defish a few photos and get hooked. Most of the time i'm using panini projection, although it has some drawbacks. Like its not very useful on portrait orientation photos and my workflow with it is rather complicated. On the positive side it does great job at preserving fov and doesn't smear edges like some other projections do.

I never liked fisheye to rectilinear conversion, but recently i tried partial defishing to rectilinear in lightroom and i must say i quite liking it.

Whats yours experience with defishing?

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer
3

I've never bothered owning one.

It always struck me as the kind of lens I would use a few times and then once the novelty wore off I would end up selling it!

slimandy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,142
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer
1

I'm not a fan of de-fishing. I use a fisheye if I want the fisheye effect.

Having seen your samples I think the image gets less interesting as you de-fish it, so I'm inclined to stick with my opinion. If i want WA I'd rather use a WA lens.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

 slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,376
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

I have made some experiments with a borrowed 7.5 fisheye to see if it was possible to get it rectilinear. And it was, with quite good result, but I decided to get a 9-18 instead for UW.

As you may guess I don't like the fisheye look and thus I prefer the rectilinear projection of yours. But I would have worked a little more on the picture, to get rid of the keystoning and make it horizontal. I guess that's your next step.

 MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 35,676
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

romullus wrote:

I was never a big fan of defishing of any kind. I thought, and in fact still think, that beauty of fisheye is in... ermm, fisheye distortion by itself. But then i bought fe lens, tried to defish a few photos and get hooked. Most of the time i'm using panini projection, although it has some drawbacks. Like its not very useful on portrait orientation photos and my workflow with it is rather complicated. On the positive side it does great job at preserving fov and doesn't smear edges like some other projections do.

Ditto, mainly using the FF Fisheye to Panini General or Panini Equirectangular, but I'll experiment with other options depending on the composition elements. Getting a rectilinear rendering from the fisheye has it's conveniences in the field. So far defishing is still a novelty, so I can't say I'm happily wedded with it 'till death do us part, but it is convenient for the wider FOV with a single exposure. It's like having two lenses in one, using it for it's obvious tendencies as well as for corrected projections.

The rectilinear exhibited appeals to me the most for your scene, though the center and level needs a bit of refining (Possible to adjust with left/right mouse clicks in Hugin, not sure what you're using). The choice of how to correct can depend on what is featured as the central interest, though.

I've set up a Fisheye Set of work in Flickr, if interested.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man
.

 Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
drpoop
drpoop Regular Member • Posts: 449
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

I like partially recitlinear. But it depends on the subject/shot

What software did you use for the de-fishing?

 drpoop's gear list:drpoop's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
markintosh13
markintosh13 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,050
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

I think the panini retains the big toothy "grin" of the car best while removing the fisheye bulge. Quite like that one.

duartix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,589
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

MPA1 wrote:

It always struck me as the kind of lens I would use a few times and then once the novelty wore off I would end up selling it!

You'd be surprised...

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

 duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
markintosh13
markintosh13 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,050
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

Yeah, it looks like the kind of lens you'd want in the bag for certain scenes.

"Oh yeah... wait a second"... rummage, rummage...

Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,060
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

MPA1 wrote:

I've never bothered owning one.

It always struck me as the kind of lens I would use a few times and then once the novelty wore off I would end up selling it!

Nah, it's one of those lenses that, so long as you remember you've got it, you'll always find nifty uses for it. Of course, if you've got a UWA, then YMMV.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
duartix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,589
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

romullus wrote:

But then i bought fe lens, tried to defish a few photos and get hooked.

When should create a mutual aid group. Perhaps together we can shake this off.
My name is Duarte and I've been a fishaholic since 03/05/2012.

Most of the time i'm using panini projection, although it has some drawbacks. (...) workflow with it is rather complicated. On the positive side it does great job at preserving fov and doesn't smear edges like some other projections do.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/69528#Comment_69528
You'll have to log to download it. The script will take a folder filled with fisheye images and defish them losslessly to Panini with possibly no interaction (timeout automation for default options).

Whats yours experience with defishing?

It will all depend heavily on the subject/photo but I Panini is definitely my favorite if proper care was taken when taking the photo (basically levels & placement of radials). If you take that care, you might even avoid a lot of defishing.

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

 duartix's gear list:duartix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,060
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

I like the partial rectilinear, in this series.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Dr_Jon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,390
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer
1

Personally I prefer fisheye-hemi, which is a photoshop plugin and tries to make people look okay (so isn't mathematically exact).

The photoshop adaptive wide-angle filter can be okay, and adds the ability to straighten up some bits by line drawing.

 Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM +28 more
Isacas Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Check this web site!

Have you ever seen camperbc's work with the Samyang fisheye and he rarely defishes. He uses his Samyang as an ultra wide angle and his landscapes of New Foundland with this lens are spectacular. Here is a link and enjoy! Glen is the king of the Samyag fish eye, which is a great lens!!!!

http://www.focusonnewfoundland.com/gallery_449568.html#

 Isacas's gear list:Isacas's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
Isacas Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Re: Check this web site!

By the way, Glen (camperbc) posts on the Sony Alpha forum.

 Isacas's gear list:Isacas's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
OP romullus New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

Bob Tullis wrote:

Ditto, mainly using the FF Fisheye to Panini General or Panini Equirectangular, but I'll experiment with other options depending on the composition elements. Getting a rectilinear rendering from the fisheye has it's conveniences in the field. So far defishing is still a novelty, so I can't say I'm happily wedded with it 'till death do us part, but it is convenient for the wider FOV with a single exposure. It's like having two lenses in one, using it for it's obvious tendencies as well as for corrected projections.

The rectilinear exhibited appeals to me the most for your scene, though the center and level needs a bit of refining (Possible to adjust with left/right mouse clicks in Hugin, not sure what you're using). The choice of how to correct can depend on what is featured as the central interest, though.

You're right, i should work more on leveling horizontal lines.

I've set up a Fisheye Set of work in Flickr, if interested.

You have some trully amazing photos in your collection. Very inspiring!

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man
.

OP romullus New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

drpoop wrote:

I like partially recitlinear. But it depends on the subject/shot

What software did you use for the de-fishing?

I used ptgui for panini and lightroom for rectilinear.

OP romullus New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

Mjankor wrote:

MPA1 wrote:

I've never bothered owning one.

It always struck me as the kind of lens I would use a few times and then once the novelty wore off I would end up selling it!

Nah, it's one of those lenses that, so long as you remember you've got it, you'll always find nifty uses for it. Of course, if you've got a UWA, then YMMV.

Well, i have 9-18mm in 4/3 mount, but i find samyang much more versatile

Isacas Contributing Member • Posts: 614
Sample of undefished ultra wide angle shot with Samyang
1

This photo was taken with an EPL2 and the Samyang fish eye. It is NOT defished. When I defish I use Hemi plug in

 Isacas's gear list:Isacas's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +4 more
OP romullus New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Defishing. Which projection do you prefer

duartix wrote:

romullus wrote:

But then i bought fe lens, tried to defish a few photos and get hooked.

When should create a mutual aid group. Perhaps together we can shake this off.
My name is Duarte and I've been a fishaholic since 03/05/2012.

Most of the time i'm using panini projection, although it has some drawbacks. (...) workflow with it is rather complicated. On the positive side it does great job at preserving fov and doesn't smear edges like some other projections do.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/69528#Comment_69528
You'll have to log to download it. The script will take a folder filled with fisheye images and defish them losslessly to Panini with possibly no interaction (timeout automation for default options).

Thanks, i will look at this.

Whats yours experience with defishing?

It will all depend heavily on the subject/photo but I Panini is definitely my favorite if proper care was taken when taking the photo (basically levels & placement of radials). If you take that care, you might even avoid a lot of defishing.

-- hide signature --

Duarte Bruno

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads