HEY OLYMPUS! I’m irritated as %@&#!!!

Started Sep 14, 2013 | Discussions
RealPancho
OP RealPancho Senior Member • Posts: 1,313
Re: ME TOO. Irritated! DIFFERENT GRIPE.

FrankParis wrote:

RealPancho wrote:

Olympus is making life harder on retailers like my local camera store. I hope this consequence is unintended.

That's not been my experience. My local camera store gets cameras and lenses before the big mail order joints. I always go with my local store first because of that. I think manufacturers may go with brick and mortar before mail order because they get to charge them more (just a guess -- but why else?).

Good to know, good for them, and good for you. Obviously, experiences differ. As I suggested, the consequence may be unintended.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
Re: HEY OLYMPUS! I’m irritated as %@&#!!!

Just be glad that you do not live in NZ.

The US and UK both get nice deals with these cameras - free grips, flashes or adapters etc.

I'll be surprised if we get any such deals and if the cameras themselves are anything approaching comparable in price.

Nikon don't bother offering us NPS either.

Canon and Nikon rarely if ever offer us the cashback deals others get and we have no access to refurbished equipment from them either.

With only 4 million or so residents, I do not expect this to change but it certainly is irritating being able to see what others get that we do not.

Why don't we buy overseas, you ask? Simple. Because the camera manufacturers invented an artificial construct 'the grey market' to protect their margins and won't in most cases cover such purchases under their warranty (Leica are an honourable exception as their warranty is international). Why that is legal (and it is not legal in the EU to refuse warranty cover from something bought in another EU country so at least they win out) I have no idea.

uberzone
uberzone Regular Member • Posts: 279
What is that smell????

Who brought the beans and sauerkraut? Serious case of GAS in here. The EM-1 and 12-40 are super exciting editions to m4/3, but can you really not wait a few months to save $200? You do have options. If you really need both NOW, I'm sure someone somewhere will be reselling them fairly quickly at a slight premium. Just think of it as an early adopter tax.

Yes, in a perfect world both Olympus and Panasonic would have massive quantities of all of their new lenses and cameras available all over the world to anyone who wants them. Sadly neither Panasonic or Olympus have the capital or capacity to do so at this time.

Rest assured, the camera and lens as a kit will eventually make it over here. Until then, take a deep breath. It will all be ok.

uberzone's gear list:uberzone's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Rokinon 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +16 more
Jeff Tokayer Veteran Member • Posts: 6,278
I'm happy.

Today I went Ho Henry's Downtown, to check out the E-M1. I took with me my 12-60 and 50-200. They performed as well as on the E-3 and E-30 I owned previously. Maybe even a bit better.

Had Olympus offered the 12-40 as a kit, I probably would have bought it, relegating the 12-60 to the closet. I feel that there's still a bit of life left to these lenses, so saving $1000 on the 12-40, and possibly $1200 to $1500 on the 40-150 is a bonus.

I only wish Olympus updates their rebate program to include the HLD-6, instead the MMF-3 and FL-300, which I already own.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

FrankParis Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Thanks for the tip!

uberzone wrote:

The EM-1 and 12-40 are super exciting editions to m4/3, but can you really not wait a few months to save $200?

No way!

You do have options.

Oh, I took one: preordered both at my local brick and mortar camera store, which has served me brilliantly for decades.

If you really need both NOW, I'm sure someone somewhere will be reselling them fairly quickly at a slight premium. Just think of it as an early adopter tax.

Wow! really? Thanks for the tip! Can't wait!

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more

MPA1 wrote:

Just be glad that you do not live in NZ.

Yeah, but you do live in new Zealand, and I'm jealous.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Optical1
Optical1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,096
Re: What is that smell????

uberzone wrote:

Who brought the beans and sauerkraut? Serious case of GAS in here. The EM-1 and 12-40 are super exciting editions to m4/3, but can you really not wait a few months to save $200? You do have options. If you really need both NOW, I'm sure someone somewhere will be reselling them fairly quickly at a slight premium. Just think of it as an early adopter tax.

Yes, in a perfect world both Olympus and Panasonic would have massive quantities of all of their new lenses and cameras available all over the world to anyone who wants them. Sadly neither Panasonic or Olympus have the capital or capacity to do so at this time.

Rest assured, the camera and lens as a kit will eventually make it over here. Until then, take a deep breath. It will all be ok.

I'm hopeful, but doubtful.  If they were going to release it here, I think they would have done so with the rest of the world, and simply had supply shortages as they did with the E-M5.  Releasing a kit later would do nothing more than infuriate those who purchased at release.  Announcing the kit now with a later release, might delay some sales, but I would have been one to pre-order.

In fact, I was ready with credit card in hand ready to preorder until I realized that the camera wasn't going to be available with the kit.  Now, I'm on the fence considering my options...

Sort of amusing considering Panasonic lost a (admittedly impulse) purchase when the GX7 was released because of their color/kit restrictions in the US.

Damn money burning a hole in my pocket...

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 +18 more
Olymore
Olymore Senior Member • Posts: 1,749

If the US was to buy more mirrorless cameras it would probably get higher priority.
Blame your fellow citizens

I'm expecting the kit in the first or second week in October here in the UK.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Olymore's gear list:Olymore's gear list
Olympus E-M1
3DrJ Senior Member • Posts: 1,027
Know what you mean.

FrankParis wrote:

3DrJ wrote:

This little bit of history suggests a "kit" offer will likely be forthcoming early next year. It may sooner, need to keep an ear to the ground to catch the opportunity.

Yeah, well, I'm 71 years old and although healthy and very active, at my age you never know. I'm living to the hilt for all I'm worth (literally). I want it now because I may not be here tomorrow, and for who knows why?

Daresay, at ANY age, who knows what happens or why. Too many friends and family have gone all too soon. It ain't the time we have left, it's what we do with it.

The E-M1 looks like it will be great. Go for it, I know I will. Damn it though, Oly isn't going to make the lens appear just because I want it. January will arrive all to soon anyway, I'm keeping a Good Thought I'll be around to enjoy it.

What you're saying, I'd take to mean if no "kit" for months, what the hell, spend the extra $200, get the 12-40 later when it is available. What merit is there in self-deprivation? Enjoy what's there now. Spending the additional $200 or $400 or whatever means nothing by comparison.

BTW, my reserves are at Pro Photo Supply, where I've spent thousands and thousands over the years, almost all of it from early reserves I've made. What a great brick and mortar camera store they are, got to be one of the best remaining in the country.

Last time I stopped in there, made a similar remark to the guy at the cash register, but he didn't react. Maybe good training. (Or maybe "heavy spenders" aren't rare.) It's OK, having been photographing for more than half a century, I really prefer not dwelling on the total I've spent on photo gear.

What a coincidence, as I write, half out the door, overdue for a trip to that very self-same Mother Source.  Or rather more accurately, Mother Drain.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Jules.

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +5 more
erichK Veteran Member • Posts: 6,072
My E1, E3 OM-D pricing experiences...

3DrJ wrote:

FrankParis wrote:

Corkcampbell wrote:

Not sure what all of the fuss is about...not much to do in San Antonio, I think.

Or Portland, Oregon, where I live. I'm peeved as well. Was really looking forward to getting the kit for $2,200 right out of the chute.

As I recall, when I bought the E-1 in Feb 2004, the camera had been around for about 4 months or so.

In early 2004, there was a "special offer" whereby purchasing the E-1 body for $1500, one could get the 14-54mm for a discounted $500 or so, "for a limited time". And that's what I did, and I think the store was Pro Photo Supply.

BTW I still have both E-1 and 14-54mm. I hope the latter will work with the E-M1. If it's at least as good as the E-1 (not the greatest challenge I presume), I'd be happy about it.

This little bit of history suggests a "kit" offer will likely be forthcoming early next year. It may sooner, need to keep an ear to the ground to catch the opportunity.

Jules.

I waited nine months longer and got the same E-1/14-54 kit for about $15OO or possibly 1599US along with the silly little FL20 flash, from ePhotocraft in Wash DC, and was thereby able to add the 50-200 and the 50 macro for a little more than that price again.

I was also able to buy the E-3/12-60 kit for $2300 0r 2400 by waiting a couple of months, shopping a bit just catching a Christmas Special in the last days of 2007.

Although I did buy the OM-D/12-50 pretty soon after its release, the poor US kit possibilities (which generally prevail for Canada as well) are making me hesitate to buy it. I probably do want to get the 12-40 lens with it, but there is no way I will pay $2400 for the combination.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M5 II +25 more
Azilla Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: Not much to do here, either. I wanted the kit out of the chute!

FrankParis wrote:

Corkcampbell wrote:

Not sure what all of the fuss is about...not much to do in San Antonio, I think.

Or Portland, Oregon, where I live. I'm peeved as well. Was really looking forward to getting the kit for $2,200 right out of the chute. But I'm too impatient to wait for a kit. I have both the body and the lens on reserve.

Where in PDX did you reserve from? Luckily I am still 4 months away from getting camera, hoping the kit hits the US by then..

-- hide signature --

Find me on google+ will be using that for my photo sharing blog
http://gplus.to/mburnham

brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,811

uberzone wrote:

I don't pay blackmail prices, so I'm not interested in buying a camera from some scum bag trying to make a quick buck. That, and questions on whether Olympus will honor the warranty from a non authorized dealer. As someone who is looking into getting a MF3 setup, I can wait until I can either get the kit, or both separately at the same time. I'm in no hurry to buy.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D810 Olympus E-M1 II +28 more
Re: Know what you mean.

3DrJ wrote:

What you're saying, I'd take to mean if no "kit" for months, what the hell, spend the extra $200, get the 12-40 later when it is available. What merit is there in self-deprivation? Enjoy what's there now. Spending the additional $200 or $400 or whatever means nothing by comparison.

As long as you have it, you betcha. However, reality has its limits. Not much splurging for me will be possible anymore. But I already have enough books, SACDs, Blu-Rays, and photo gear (at least once I have the E-M1 and 12-40 f/2.8) to keep me happy until I'm drooling and otherwise making a mess of myself. And then there's all the hiking trails around here I've been exploring for the past 35 years (since moving here in 1977). That only costs gas money. (And stupid trailhead parking fees. Should be free for people our age. So should gas actually. I've paid my dues.)

I really prefer not dwelling on the total I've spent on photo gear.

And how much stuff I've sold at whatever loss. However, taking into consideration how much I've gained from owning in the meantime, it's really not a loss after all.

What a coincidence, as I write, half out the door, overdue for a trip to that very self-same Mother Source. Or rather more accurately, Mother Drain.

Well, it's a complicated and confusing drive for me from the SE side of Portland (especially at my age), so I reserve such trips for picking up gear that has arrived that I have on order. Next two trips may be my last -- unless I sell a bunch of my M4/3 gear! Got too much redundancy!

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Azilla wrote:

Where in PDX did you reserve from?

1112 NW 19th Ave Portland, OR 97209

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Olymore wrote:

If the US was to buy more mirrorless cameras it would probably get higher priority.

So that's it... I've yet to see anyone else using an M4/3 camera and I go out on excursions 3 or 4 times a week and most always see people lugging monster DSLRs around with two foot long telephoto lenses and leaden backpacks.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Azilla Forum Member • Posts: 73

FrankParis wrote:

Azilla wrote:

Where in PDX did you reserve from?

1112 NW 19th Ave Portland, OR 97209

Thanks, totally forgot about them...was hoping wasnt from the Ritzidiotz

-- hide signature --

Find me on google+ will be using that for my photo sharing blog
http://gplus.to/mburnham

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 18,069
What a few months to save $200? No...that's poor use of time.

$200 is nothing compared to lost shots if you really need the hardware now.

I'm not interested in the camera (have a GH3, couple gh2s, and a couple of OM-Ds), especially since I like video, but I'd pay $100 more for that lens if I could get it quickly. I rely on primes, but a reasonably fast zoom like the new Oly would really help now for some shoots.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M5 II +5 more
RealPancho

uberzone wrote:

Who brought the beans and sauerkraut? Serious case of GAS in here.

And this is a problem for you how?

The EM-1 and 12-40 are super exciting editions to m4/3, but can you really not wait a few months to save $200?

Of course I can, but I'd feel better about it if it was MY choice, not someone else's.

You do have options. If you really need both NOW, I'm sure someone somewhere will be reselling them fairly quickly at a slight premium.

I don't buy used gear. I sell it.

Just think of it as an early adopter tax.

I'd happily pay such a premium.

You see, I've never been an early adopter of anything. The closest I came was buying my E-M5 in late August of 2012. I think I've been to maybe 3 movies the weekend they opened and bought an album or two on the day of their releases, but I have never before bought anything this expensive on or near its release date. For once, after 56 years, I was looking forward to doing so.

It already is okay. I'm not rolling around on the floor having a tantrum, just venting a little frustration over a situation I can't control. I've been following the development of the rumors for this pair since they were first mentioned, with growing enthusiasm at each verification of both their existence and their quality. I can certainly understand how the enthusiasm of myself and others might amuse you, but it actually offends you, well, then, I'd say it's you who needs to take a deep breath. If not, I probably misread you.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
RealPancho

FrankParis wrote:

Olymore wrote:

So that's it... I've yet to see anyone else using an M4/3 camera and I go out on excursions 3 or 4 times a week and most always see people lugging monster DSLRs around with two foot long telephoto lenses and leaden backpacks.

My wife and I are members at our local botanical center, and I was standing in line to get in earlier this summer behind a guy with this hideous footlong monstrosity draped around his neck. Curious to know what it was, I inched closer. I didn't ID the camera, but the lens said "70-200" on it. I looked down at my E-M5 with the Panasonic 35-100 attached and I thought, "is this what they mean by equivalent?"

-- hide signature --

Frank

Paul Amyes
Paul Amyes Senior Member • Posts: 1,785

Take heart that it isn't available in a kit or otherwise here in Oz. But it's nice to see our American friends suffer the same sort of problems we have. Just relax, buy the new iPhone, you can get it with a plan for $99 I'd have to stump up $800 AUD for it. Buy some software, Adobe products are double here what they are in the US. Buy a video or an album off of iTunes for 1/2 the price we pay. And books don't get me started about books, books that cost $30 in the States regularly go for over $100 AUD here.

Have you tried throwing yourself on the floor in the middle of your local camera store banging your hands and feet on the floor and holding your breath till you turn blue? I'll let you in on a little secret I've tried and it doesn't work the staff just post the video on youtube. 

Paul Amyes's gear list:Paul Amyes's gear list
Voigtlander 35mm F2.5 Color Skopar
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads