E-5 in Antarctica

Started Sep 14, 2013 | Photos
erichK Veteran Member • Posts: 6,565
Re: E-5 in Antarctica
1

John King wrote:

Thanks for sharing those wonderful shots, David.

Must have been a fabulous trip ... I'm very envious ...

You're a lot closer that I am, John!

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada (52.5% North)

Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

 erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +25 more
erichK Veteran Member • Posts: 6,565
Re: E-5 in Antarctica
When you can cover 3,000 plus riders crossing a finish line at 15 to 30 mph over a four hour period with an E5, then I'll consider it; otherwise I'll stick to my D3S and 70-200/2.8 VR2. Batteries alone will kill me on a E-5 with 10,000 plus shots. I did this with one extra battery on the D3S.

Happily, I usually find more interesting things to shoot, but each to his or her own.  D3s is a nice camera that handles beautifully with just a prime.  But every time my friend puts a tele zoom or his 300 on his, I quickly change my mind about ever buying, or lugging one.  Would also prefer to stay married!

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

 erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +25 more
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,567
Re: E-5 in Antarctica

erichK wrote:

When you can cover 3,000 plus riders crossing a finish line at 15 to 30 mph over a four hour period with an E5, then I'll consider it; otherwise I'll stick to my D3S and 70-200/2.8 VR2. Batteries alone will kill me on a E-5 with 10,000 plus shots. I did this with one extra battery on the D3S.

Happily, I usually find more interesting things to shoot, but each to his or her own. D3s is a nice camera that handles beautifully with just a prime. But every time my friend puts a tele zoom or his 300 on his, I quickly change my mind about ever buying, or lugging one. Would also prefer to stay married!

I find it quite interesting knowing each rider raised money for cancer research, and I managed to get over 2,000 out of the 3,000 plus riders. My client, American Cancer Society, is quite happy with my work. As far as using a prime on the D3S, next year I'm bringing my 200 mm/2.0 out to cover the finish line.

 brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6400 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +23 more
gsergei Contributing Member • Posts: 842
Stunning work !

I am jealous, dude. Thank you for sharing

-- hide signature --

Sergei,
Calgary.
www.alberta-photo.com

 gsergei's gear list:gsergei's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus E-M1 +13 more
OP davidrm Senior Member • Posts: 1,366
Re: E-5 versus OM-D

erichK wrote:

Silverback46 wrote:

Beautiful set David! I understand your thoughts on the E-M5. It is a nice small package to carry when you want small and the image quality is excellent. But these photos are excellent and on a trip like this it's good you achieved results you are happy with.

Don't know how cold it was for these pictures, but if you still needed gloves at sea in this Antarctic summer, the you definitely were ahead using the E-5. The OM-D is a terrific little camera and does have a better sensor but I find it almost impossible to use effectively wearing gloves during the 6 or 7 months one has to, even here in much less polar Saskatoon.

Beautiful pictures, btw. Your iceberg shots (#9 and 10) even remind me of Sebastiao Salgado's magnificent image of one for his GENESIS shows and book. And that print sells on Amazon for $17,000., enough to finance another trip!

Well thanks for the kind words, but I wouldn't place myself quite at Salgado's level! One or two lucky vacation shots on my part, a lifetime of brilliant dedicated work on his, not quite the same.

On tbe gloves side, yes, most of the time gloves were needed, especially at sea. No problem witb the E-5, but I also had a Sigma DP-2 with me and that was unusable with glovex (although to be fair my inexperence with it did not help). I don't think the OM-D would have been very easy to work with, and the 12-50 as onlyweatherproof lens would have been very restrictive.

-- hide signature --

Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

aja2
aja2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,657
Excellent work...

and I am jealous! That's a trip I can only dream of... closest I got was Alaska (talking about glaciers, here). I'd love an E-5 someday, too.

Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,624
Re: E-5 versus OM-D
1

davidrm wrote:

On tbe gloves side, yes, most of the time gloves were needed, especially at sea. No problem witb the E-5, but I also had a Sigma DP-2 with me and that was unusable with glovex (although to be fair my inexperence with it did not help). I don't think the OM-D would have been very easy to work with, and the 12-50 as onlyweatherproof lens would have been very restrictive.

I can't even operate the EM5 buttons properly WITHOUT gloves

Oly500Enew
Oly500Enew Senior Member • Posts: 1,008
Great set...thanks for sharing.
-- hide signature --

I'm not a professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.
www.2112photography.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21868346@N00/

 Oly500Enew's gear list:Oly500Enew's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
erichK Veteran Member • Posts: 6,565
Re: E-5 in Antarctica

brianric wrote:

erichK wrote:

When you can cover 3,000 plus riders crossing a finish line at 15 to 30 mph over a four hour period with an E5, then I'll consider it; otherwise I'll stick to my D3S and 70-200/2.8 VR2. Batteries alone will kill me on a E-5 with 10,000 plus shots. I did this with one extra battery on the D3S.

Happily, I usually find more interesting things to shoot, but each to his or her own. D3s is a nice camera that handles beautifully with just a prime. But every time my friend puts a tele zoom or his 300 on his, I quickly change my mind about ever buying, or lugging one. Would also prefer to stay married!

I find it quite interesting knowing each rider raised money for cancer research, and I managed to get over 2,000 out of the 3,000 plus riders. My client, American Cancer Society, is quite happy with my work. As far as using a prime on the D3S, next year I'm bringing my 200 mm/2.0 out to cover the finish line.

Glad to hear it.  I' sure that you are doing work that interests you.  Were my interests similar, then I would likely use similar gear.  They are not.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

 erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +25 more
erichK Veteran Member • Posts: 6,565
Re: OM-D buttons

Big Ga wrote:

davidrm wrote:

On tbe gloves side, yes, most of the time gloves were needed, especially at sea. No problem witb the E-5, but I also had a Sigma DP-2 with me and that was unusable with glovex (although to be fair my inexperence with it did not help). I don't think the OM-D would have been very easy to work with, and the 12-50 as onlyweatherproof lens would have been very restrictive.

I can't even operate the EM5 buttons properly WITHOUT gloves

It ain't easy, but can usually done, once one sets up the camera.  Which ain't as easy as it should be, either.  Did enable me to do some discrete night shooting in Rio, where I would not have dared to carry or use a more obvious expensive camera.  You are right, though, that buttons and distances between them should be larger, more logically arranged and more "tactile" (for want of a better term).

I liked the Pen 5 because it seemed to represent some significant R&D on organizing control of such a large set of options in so small a place.  And the EM-1 does seem to have taken this further with improvements od button surfaces, etc.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

 erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +25 more
Marathonianbull
Marathonianbull Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Re: E-5 in Antarctica

Well said.. AND DONE: AMAZING PICTURES from the E-5, a 1000x THKs for posting these! I, too, considered while in Japan that both my E-5 (4/3) and my E-P3 (m4/3) deserved their place. The big one for my sweaty hands w/ its proper zoom in the middle of nowhere (landscape, nature, fieldtrip), the tiny handy one for more urbanized areas filled with shy crowds when discretion is advised!!! After my trip, I knew I would forever need both format.

EDIT: Would the E-M1 then turn out to be a game changer. I personally bet it will, when either my E-5 or E-P3 dies, that is...

 Marathonianbull's gear list:Marathonianbull's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10 Olympus E-620 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro +28 more
travlinhoosier Regular Member • Posts: 196
Beautiful pics.

I trust you've got a lot more.

And  thanks.

 travlinhoosier's gear list:travlinhoosier's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Braxton7
Braxton7 Contributing Member • Posts: 882
Re: E-5 in Antarctica

davidrm wrote:

Braxton7 wrote:

#4 with the whale is amazing. Is that as close as it looks? I'm not much for oceans but I would like to see one of those things up close someday.

It was something like 100m away, I guess. We actually had a Minke whale (smaller than this humpback) go directly under the zodiac, touching it. As a fellow photographer put it, "(expletive deleted) I never expected to need the wide angle!". I had my 12-60 attached to my spare E-3, but didn't quite get to it in time...

Other people on the same trip got very close to a sleeping humpback. And others still, kayaking, got close enough to be just a little worried. But the whales seem to be quite aware of us (really, I'm not anthropomorphizing, they really do appear to realize that there are some kind of strange creatures in these rubber rafts. Good thing for us they don't remember what such creatures did to their ancestors..) and move slowly in the vicinity of small craft.

Whatever, they're curious animals, so generally if you wait a bit they'll approach.

That reply inspired me to read up on whales. Very interesting, especially Orca (killer) whale societies. Thanks

 Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549
Re: E-5 in Antarctica

Great shots David. Really enjoyed them.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Jim Ford Senior Member • Posts: 1,240
Re: E-5 in Antarctica
1

brianric wrote:

When you can cover 3,000 plus riders crossing a finish ne at 15 to 30 mph over a four hour period with an E5, then I'll consider it; otherwise I'll stick to my D3S and 70-200/2.8 VR2. Batteries alone will kill me on a E-5 with 10,000 plus shots. I did this with one extra battery on the D3S.

Top tip - thanks!

Would my E5 be OK for 2999 riders crossing a finish at 15 to 29 mph over a three hour period, then? I'd probably only be taking 9,999 shots anyway.

Jim

dharma108 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,741
Re: E-5 in Antarctica

Brilliant series.

Thank you for posting.

Dharma

 dharma108's gear list:dharma108's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +27 more
brianric Veteran Member • Posts: 8,567
Re: E-5 in Antarctica

Jim Ford wrote:

brianric wrote:

When you can cover 3,000 plus riders crossing a finish ne at 15 to 30 mph over a four hour period with an E5, then I'll consider it; otherwise I'll stick to my D3S and 70-200/2.8 VR2. Batteries alone will kill me on a E-5 with 10,000 plus shots. I did this with one extra battery on the D3S.

Top tip - thanks!

Would my E5 be OK for 2999 riders crossing a finish at 15 to 29 mph over a three hour period, then? I'd probably only be taking 9,999 shots anyway.

Jim

And how many batteries would you be going through?

 brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6400 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads