K-01 metering question

Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions
robertophoto Regular Member • Posts: 140
K-01 metering question

I am about to start using a new K-01 and it will be my first Pentax digital camera.  My usual practice is to dial in a minus 1/3 stop or 2/3 stop exposure compensation when using other cameras in bright daylight to avoid blowing highlights.  Is this a common recommendation for the K-01 as well?

6x9
6x9 Regular Member • Posts: 269
Re: K-01 metering question

Normally you do not need to apply the "minus" correction. I usually put +.3 for general shooting. This camera has Highlight correction (which is turned ON by default). It is the best to leave this default setting intact, unless youn have good reasons not to do so...

-- hide signature --

- 6x9 -

6x9's gear list:6x9's gear list
Nikon D80 Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Pentax K-01 +26 more
britcam
britcam Senior Member • Posts: 2,462

I do exactly the same as you have described by default, since I prefer to have enough headroom in RAW processing. But if a quick look at the scene shows that tonal values need more or less EV, then I adjust accordingly. I don't think these things should be set in stone - it's something you develop with experience, so that it becomes second nature.
--
Kind regards
Rich S (britcam)

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
veroman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,862

robertophoto wrote:

I am about to start using a new K-01 and it will be my first Pentax digital camera. My usual practice is to dial in a minus 1/3 stop or 2/3 stop exposure compensation when using other cameras in bright daylight to avoid blowing highlights. Is this a common recommendation for the K-01 as well?

I generally shoot minus 1/3, but as another poster said, these things are not etched in stone. The DR of the K-01 is wide enough to accommodate most instances bright highlights without losing the detail within ... if there is any. When I'm uncertain what the outcome might be or don't have time to re-shoot, I'll set the EV to minus 1/3 to be on the safe side.

With my Olympus cameras, on the other hand, minus 1/3 to minus .7 is pretty much routine.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Ricoh GR II Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-E2
OP robertophoto Regular Member • Posts: 140

Where is Highlight correction in the m,enus and in the manual?  I am reading the manual in advance of getting delivery, and I don't find it. There is HDR Mode and HDR capture...   Is Highlight correction done only for Jpegs?

OP robertophoto Regular Member • Posts: 140

Yes, my prior cameras are Oly's and Fuji's and I find that they tend to overexpose brightly lit scenes if left to themselves.  I'll interpret your advice (all of you!) to be that I should shoot and learn from the results.  That's always better than hard and fast rules.

Thanks.

JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 3,310

The K-01 metering is extremely accurate, and rarely do I find it necessary to dial in compensation. The Highlight Correction might best be left in Auto, as low contrast scenes suffer from the higher ISO triggered by Highlight Correction. You want to shoot at ISO 100 if possible, and HC precludes that.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads