E-M1 wifi control without Android or iOS apps?

Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions
Benjamin Ries Regular Member • Posts: 114
E-M1 wifi control without Android or iOS apps?

Question for anyone with an E-M1 or who has read the answer somewhere in the barrage of info flying at those of us on the preorder list...

Based on previews, I was under the impression that the Android and iOS apps weren't the only ways of connecting a device to the E-M1 via WiFi - that you could either scan the QR code from those apps (which would automatically configure your client's wifi settings to connect to the camera's AP, get an IP address and start the app communicating with the camera) or you could manually enter in a wifi AP name and WPA password, displayed in small type on the camera LCD.

I was under the impression that the second option would allow you to browse to an HTML5 interface served up by the camera (e.g. http://192.168.xxx.1) and do some of the things that the Android and iOS app does. This would be important to those of us with older Mac desktops, Windows tablets and laptops, Windows Phone or Blackberry devices, etc.

Am I correct in this understanding? Does anybody know which wifi control/preview functions are available through this workaround?

In theory, the camera could provide the entire control and preview interface via HTML5. That would also allow 3rd party developers to make apps for the above-listed platforms.

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-PL2 / M.Z 14-42mm II / Panny 20mm / ZD 12-60mm SWD / ZD 50-200mm SWD / ZD 50mm / MMF-2 / EC-14 / FL-50R

Benjamin Ries's gear list:Benjamin Ries's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Benjamin Ries Regular Member • Posts: 114
Re: E-M1 wifi control without Android or iOS apps?

bump - can anyone say what happens when you manually connect your device to the camera via wifi, and then visit the camera's IP address with your mobile browser?

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-PL2 / M.Z 14-42mm II / Panny 20mm / ZD 12-60mm SWD / ZD 50-200mm SWD / ZD 50mm / MMF-2 / EC-14 / FL-50R

Olympus E-M1 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
3DrJ Senior Member • Posts: 1,027
Good question...

Benjamin Ries wrote:

Question for anyone with an E-M1 or who has read the answer somewhere in the barrage of info flying at those of us on the preorder list...

Am I correct in this understanding? Does anybody know which wifi control/preview functions are available through this workaround?

In theory, the camera could provide the entire control and preview interface via HTML5. That would also allow 3rd party developers to make apps for the above-listed platforms. ...

Really, an excellent question. In fact there's been much discussion in other threads here about this kind of "open access" for remote operation of the camera.

You may know that Sony recently announced and published a specification for an "open API" allowing remote access to their future WiFi enabled cameras. Basically Sony's API implements a protocol built on HTTP and JSON standards, that is, just a web client/server model with a sprinkle of USB-like "discovery" added on. The API makes it pretty easy to write a camera-control program for practically any OS or platform with an IP stack (and WiFi of course).

That's a wonderful idea, but as far as I know, Olympus doesn't provide info describing their camera remote-control protocols. It may be possible to link to the camera WiFi server, however since receive/send data format is unspecified (as far as I know), communication with the camera to accomplish a specific task is essentially impossible.

I suppose the communication protocol could be "reverse engineered" with enough effort and time, but until the camera is "in the wild", it's hard to venture what could be done to work around lack of "official" information.

What's been announced is E-M1 remote-control "apps" will be available for Android and iOS (but not other OS). I agree with you 101% that's way too limiting. Not at all hard to think of use cases where these "canned" apps are inadequate or incompatible. For example, prospective E-M1 buyers considering camera remote-access/control from an installed-base platform would have to reject the E-M1 on the grounds that it there's no straightforward way to do so.

After all, the camera is supposed to be "professional". And if it really is intended for "professional" applications, that necessarily includes sophisticated studio/laboratory environments where the camera would have to interface with existing powerful computing systems. In such instances, Android and iOS are plainly irrelevant.

By all means, we must address this question to Olympus, and in the strongest terms express our need for (and utility of) having the "open access" you describe above. Emphatically, not only would it serve our purposes, but also be enormously beneficial to Olympus in promoting a wider market for the very capable E-M1.

Jules.

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Thomas Karlmann
Thomas Karlmann Senior Member • Posts: 2,761
Same question; Different Approach!!! (Use Eye-Fi??)

What about forgetting about all that difficult and perhaps undisclosed Olympus secret-decoder-ring stuff, and, just for those other connections, use an Eye-Fi card on the E-M1? Does anyone have a notion of compatibility for Eye-Fi?

I know, as an example, that the Sony a99 has no built-in Wi-Fi, but there are icons on the camera screen specifically for use with an Eye-Fi card.

I can see myself using the Olympus-Wi-Fi for remote triggering -- if I ever got a Smart Phone. I have no need or desire to transfer my images to a Smart Phone. That for me is ridiculous -- those (full Res.) images need to go to a laptop PC for editing and printing. So, I have pro applications where all I need to do is to send my photos to my Laptop PC for Event-type-use. Is THIS possible with E-M1?

P.S.: The Eye-Fi site lists compatibility with the OMD E-M5.

http://support.eye.fi/cameras#Olympus

-- hide signature --

Thom--

Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,142
Re: Same question; Different Approach!!! (Use Eye-Fi??)

Thomas Karlmann wrote:

What about forgetting about all that difficult and perhaps undisclosed Olympus secret-decoder-ring stuff, and, just for those other connections, use an Eye-Fi card on the E-M1? Does anyone have a notion of compatibility for Eye-Fi?

I know, as an example, that the Sony a99 has no built-in Wi-Fi, but there are icons on the camera screen specifically for use with an Eye-Fi card.

I can see myself using the Olympus-Wi-Fi for remote triggering -- if I ever got a Smart Phone. I have no need or desire to transfer my images to a Smart Phone. That for me is ridiculous -- those (full Res.) images need to go to a laptop PC for editing and printing. So, I have pro applications where all I need to do is to send my photos to my Laptop PC for Event-type-use. Is THIS possible with E-M1?

I dont have the E-M1 yet but I looked up this question in the E-M1 user manual.

You will be pleased to know that the E-M1 still has an eye-fi menu similar to the one on the E-M5 under cog 'k' 'utility'. I was hoping that with the E-M1 it might be possible to program a function button to toggle 'eye-fi' on and off but it doesnt seem that this is possible.

I can see myself occasionally using the E-M1's wifi for remote triggering but other than that I will stick to the 'eye-fi' cards which offer a lot more compatibility to software apps.

Pedal2Floor Senior Member • Posts: 1,268
I contacted Olympus and was told no......

First off, there is a new OI.Share Olympus application coming, we will see if they do something more, they are not saying anything so who knows

With the E-30, I was not happy with the tethering options and the software that Olympus had written.  I was able to get a license for the SDK and I developed my own tethering application which I still use with my E-30.

I asked about the same for the E-M1, and I was told, there is no open API and they had no plans to publish one.

If you want the option, your best bet is to purchase an only Android phone like a Samsung Galaxy II or III or similar HTC phone and side load the application and keep the phone just to use OI.Share.  The Samsung phones can use GPS without a SIM card so could be handy in that respect.

While Olympus may make nice cameras, they still have no clue about software

if they opened their API to allow any developer to use the API, then everyone would support Olympus camera's and the more software application that supported Olympus, they would probably also sell more cameras.  Keeping things closed does not help anyone including Olympus themselves.

I believe what you are asking is available with the Panasonic GX7, but Olympus has not changed how it is doing things.

Yes, anything can be reverse engineered but there are not enough camera's in the wild to make it happen.

Your best bet is to put in your request and displeasure to Olympus via their support email as well as Facebook and hope they answer.  Better yet, if someone could create a Olympus "We want OI.Share support on the PC" facebook page and have people sign-up that may give the issue more attention.

Your options are limited otherwise.  While Eye-Fi is an option, it is painfully slow!

Pedal2Floor's gear list:Pedal2Floor's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +8 more
jack Hoggard
jack Hoggard Contributing Member • Posts: 825
Re: I contacted Olympus and was told no......

What Software comes with the camera?  Is it only image processing, or a combined download (wifi)/processer?

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

jack Hoggard's gear list:jack Hoggard's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Nexus 7 +1 more

Pedal2Floor wrote:

First off, there is a new OI.Share Olympus application coming, we will see if they do something more, they are not saying anything so who knows

With the E-30, I was not happy with the tethering options and the software that Olympus had written. I was able to get a license for the SDK and I developed my own tethering application which I still use with my E-30.

I asked about the same for the E-M1, and I was told, there is no open API and they had no plans to publish one.

If you want the option, your best bet is to purchase an only Android phone like a Samsung Galaxy II or III or similar HTC phone and side load the application and keep the phone just to use OI.Share. The Samsung phones can use GPS without a SIM card so could be handy in that respect.

While Olympus may make nice cameras, they still have no clue about software

if they opened their API to allow any developer to use the API, then everyone would support Olympus camera's and the more software application that supported Olympus, they would probably also sell more cameras. Keeping things closed does not help anyone including Olympus themselves.

Probably true, and probably the reason Sony published their API documentation: they think it will help sell their cameras.

I believe what you are asking is available with the Panasonic GX7, but Olympus has not changed how it is doing things.

Yes, anything can be reverse engineered but there are not enough camera's in the wild to make it happen.

Soon there will be a lot of them "in the wild".  (Like a lot of folks, I'm waiting for the E-M1's arrival.)  Once they land, the search will be on.  Sounds like it could be a fun project.

Your best bet is to put in your request and displeasure to Olympus via their support email as well as Facebook and hope they answer. Better yet, if someone could create a Olympus "We want OI.Share support on the PC" facebook page and have people sign-up that may give the issue more attention.

Your options are limited otherwise. While Eye-Fi is an option, it is painfully slow!

If anyone from Olympus checks this forum, they'd already know what we want them to do.  But it won't hurt to "say it at them" one more time...

Jules.

-- hide signature --

Thomas Karlmann

Abrak wrote:

Thomas Karlmann wrote:

You will be pleased to know that the E-M1 still has an eye-fi menu similar to the one on the E-M5 under cog 'k' 'utility'. I was hoping that with the E-M1 it might be possible to program a function button to toggle 'eye-fi' on and off but it doesnt seem that this is possible.

I can see myself occasionally using the E-M1's wifi for remote triggering but other than that I will stick to the 'eye-fi' cards which offer a lot more compatibility to software apps.

Great news!  For some reason, I didn't look in the Manual -- you are right -- Eye-Fi is definitely supported.  I guess my question now is:  Why all the fuss over how the internal Wi-Fi on E-M1 works?  Just get an Eye-Fi (Pro) card!!

-- hide signature --

Thom--

Thomas Karlmann

Pedal2Floor wrote:

If you want the option, your best bet is to purchase an only Android phone like a Samsung Galaxy II or III or similar HTC phone and side load the application and keep the phone just to use OI.Share. The Samsung phones can use GPS without a SIM card so could be handy in that respect.

This sounds like a path I might choose. Does anyone know what the top Samsung Galaxy phone would cost if obtained that way? I'm not a smart-phone person, but I thought the phones themselves were subsidized by the 2-year-or-whatever Plan commitment. Would a phone without a Plan raise the price to ~$700 or what?

Your options are limited otherwise. While Eye-Fi is an option, it is painfully slow!

What speed are we talking about for Eye-Fi?  In seconds-per-image in RAW -- using the fastest (Pro X2) Eye-Fi card they have.

One guy at the Eye-Fi forums stated a transfer rate of 1.8MB/sec for the card -- not sure which one  -- gosh I hope he meant Bytes -- this would be then roughly 10.7 seconds per image in RAW?   I would want the Pro X2 -- shown compatible with no issues for the OMD E-M5. (Speed presuming ~19.2MBytes (?)/ RAW Image)  Wow, that is a bit long, but perhaps workable for me.  What times were you thinking about or getting?

More Thinking:  I may not require RAW if I have good control over lighting in my Portable Studio setup that I was thinking about using, so I might go JPEG.

Further thoughts?

-- hide signature --

Thom--

Thomas Karlmann wrote:

Abrak wrote:

Thomas Karlmann wrote:

Great news! For some reason, I didn't look in the Manual -- you are right -- Eye-Fi is definitely supported. I guess my question now is: Why all the fuss over how the internal Wi-Fi on E-M1 works? Just get an Eye-Fi (Pro) card!!

I suppose the question would be whether the "Eye-Fi" (Pro or otherwise) provides desired functionality vs. the camera's built-in WiFi access point.  The card may be adequate for some tasks, but possibly not do other things that the camera user wants to accomplish.

In other words, if the card provides what you need it's great, but if it doesn't, then back to arm-wrestling with Olympus over "apps" or convincing them to "open up" the WiFi remote access API.

Jules.

-- hide signature --

Thom--

-- hide signature --

Jouko Senior Member • Posts: 1,591
Oi.share

already to be downloaded to Android and iPad/iPhone. Works at least in Sony phones and iPad thesame way, but no clue so far how it will work with the camera (Waiting...)

But for someone more experienced than I am, this link can be helpfull...

http://www.solvusoft.com/en/update/drivers/wireless-router-wifi/olympus/models/

Looks too complicated for me at the moment, but for someone else it might be the way to go

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/

eclipsechaser1 Regular Member • Posts: 353

you know this thread would be equally important for the pen ep5. As olympus has chosen to cripple the wifi control to Iauto so it doesn't compete with the em1. Sounds to me like we could really do with someone opening up the olympus cameras for us, possible like the chdk lot did for cannon cameras.

eclipsechaser1's gear list:eclipsechaser1's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
No idea right now

Your guess is good as anyone right now.  Traditionally you get a Black CD with Olympus Viewer and the Manual in PDF.   If there is more to come, nobody I asked so far knows anything

Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +8 more
Eye-fi is too slow.....

Yes, 10seconds+  A lot depends on environmental factors.  10+ seconds is on the fast side. It can be much slower.

My Nokia Lumia 920 can move a 19mb file in about 2 seconds.

Here is where I get upset.  Olympus wants a PRO camera, but has never had a good tethered feature.

Tethering is important on several levels

1) If you are doing a shoot with a client you can have an assistant collecting the tethered work and showing the client almost real-time

2) If you are teaching a class. being able to instantly show your students how your setting changed the shot, is very important

3) If you can have tethered live view say via the mini HDMI, if you are doing some sort of long exposure or light painting, you can see the results as the photo is being developed [Yes, I know that Olympus already has the feature in the camera, but you try to determine from a 3" screen what is happening].

4) If you are doing light box studio shots perhaps for products, it would be nice to see if you got everything framed and lighted correctly before you touch or move the camera again.  If I can review it before the next shot great.  But at 10+ seconds a shot, that is too slow

I have done all this with Canon's I have rented as well as my Nikon I own.  Very useful!  The little money I earn for photography is working with interior designers.  It is nice to review the shots before I move onto the next room or room feature.  It would be a pain to keep taking out the memory card.

I wrote my own software that works with Lightroom and my E-30 and that is what I use today.  I have a small laptop and I tether to the laptop as I shoot.

The killer feature for me is the remote control of the camera.  But right now only available with iphone or Android

OP Benjamin Ries Regular Member • Posts: 114

Hmm... well whenever my E-M1 arrives, I intend to try and get the OI.Share android app running on my Windows PC using BlueStacks Android emulator. That might be a clunky stop-gap solution for tethered PC shooting, though no idea if it will be fast enough to support the liveview framerate.

Once that connection is possible, perhaps some packet-sniffing on the PC will tell us a bit about the types of data going too and from the camera over WiFi... that might allow the development of 3rd party solutions. But it will take more programming knowledge than I have.

I'm not going to buy an iOS or Android device just to get this functionality. Windows Phone may not be huge in Japan or North America, but it has more market share than iPhone in Russia, India, Latin America and parts of Eastern Europe. The Lumia 920, 925, 928 and 1020 still have the best-rated cameras and I should think that I'm not the only photography enthusiast who was won over by that appeal. However, the answer to this issue might be similar to the absence of 25p video framerate.

Anyhow, there's plenty of spelunking to be done: what sort of DHCP address does the camera assign to WiFi clients; what ports are used by the OI.Share app, etc. I guess the early recipients of the device (or, as noted, E-P5 owners) don't include many people with this type of curiosity.

-- hide signature --

Thomas Karlmann

3DrJ wrote:

Thomas Karlmann wrote:

Abrak wrote:

Thomas Karlmann wrote:

Great news! For some reason, I didn't look in the Manual -- you are right -- Eye-Fi is definitely supported. I guess my question now is: Why all the fuss over how the internal Wi-Fi on E-M1 works? Just get an Eye-Fi (Pro) card!!

I suppose the question would be whether the "Eye-Fi" (Pro or otherwise) provides desired functionality vs. the camera's built-in WiFi access point. The card may be adequate for some tasks, but possibly not do other things that the camera user wants to accomplish.

In other words, if the card provides what you need it's great, but if it doesn't, then back to arm-wrestling with Olympus over "apps" or convincing them to "open up" the WiFi remote access API.

Jules.

I have seen the Oly Wi-Fi work as camera remote with Live Feed in real time -- apparently you can also save images to your ever-present smart phone; and I now know that E-M1 also supports Eye-Fi to transfer images to my laptop.  That takes care of what I need to do, so perhaps that's why I can't see the problem.

-- hide signature --

Thom--

Thomas Karlmann

Benjamin Ries wrote:

Hmm... well whenever my E-M1 arrives, I intend to try and get the OI.Share android app running on my Windows PC using BlueStacks Android emulator. That might be a clunky stop-gap solution for tethered PC shooting, though no idea if it will be fast enough to support the liveview framerate.

Once that connection is possible, perhaps some packet-sniffing on the PC will tell us a bit about the types of data going too and from the camera over WiFi... that might allow the development of 3rd party solutions. But it will take more programming knowledge than I have.

I'm not going to buy an iOS or Android device just to get this functionality. Windows Phone may not be huge in Japan or North America, but it has more market share than iPhone in Russia, India, Latin America and parts of Eastern Europe. The Lumia 920, 925, 928 and 1020 still have the best-rated cameras and I should think that I'm not the only photography enthusiast who was won over by that appeal. However, the answer to this issue might be similar to the absence of 25p video framerate.

Anyhow, there's plenty of spelunking to be done: what sort of DHCP address does the camera assign to WiFi clients; what ports are used by the OI.Share app, etc. I guess the early recipients of the device (or, as noted, E-P5 owners) don't include many people with this type of curiosity.

Have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwkMlNWLrjY

Timecode 12:50: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_pPfm1D0ts

I also saw, but cannot find now, the live update rate from the Wi-Fi to a cell phone.  The update rate seemed instantaneous as the guy moved the camera on a table.  Can't find the vid!

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Thom--

Abrak Veteran Member • Posts: 4,142
Re: Eye-fi is too slow.....

Pedal2Floor wrote:

My Nokia Lumia 920 can move a 19mb file in about 2 seconds.

Hmmm. Yes. But the question is how exactly? My guess is that it achieves that 'transfer' using data transmission over a 3G or 4G network. I doubt that is from a 'wifi hotspot' created by the phone.

The reality is that wifi SD cards are pretty slow - that is all wifi SD cards. 1.8MB/sec is a max and an average of 1.0MB/sec the norm. While this isnt a particular problem for jpegs it is really too slow for RAW.

However, from what I gather, noone has yet produced a camera with built in wifi that is actually faster than a wifi SD card. I have only limited experience testing cameras built in wifi - namely the Canon 6D and its transfer speeds are identical to a wifi SD card. So I really wouldnt be too heroically optimistic about wifi transfer speeds on the E-M1 especially as wifi on the E-P5 is reported to be a similar speed.

Only Android or iOS is stupid...

Pedal2Floor wrote:

Here is where I get upset. Olympus wants a PRO camera, but has never had a good tethered feature.

Tethering is important on several levels

1) If you are doing a shoot with a client you can have an assistant collecting the tethered work and showing the client almost real-time

2) If you are teaching a class. being able to instantly show your students how your setting changed the shot, is very important

3) If you can have tethered live view say via the mini HDMI, if you are doing some sort of long exposure or light painting, you can see the results as the photo is being developed [Yes, I know that Olympus already has the feature in the camera, but you try to determine from a 3" screen what is happening].

4) If you are doing light box studio shots perhaps for products, it would be nice to see if you got everything framed and lighted correctly before you touch or move the camera again. If I can review it before the next shot great. But at 10+ seconds a shot, that is too slow

I wrote my own software that works with Lightroom and my E-30 and that is what I use today. I have a small laptop and I tether to the laptop as I shoot.

The killer feature for me is the remote control of the camera. But right now only available with iphone or Android

Absolutely right. Without tethering, it's much harder trying to use the E-M5 in a number of "professional" circumstances. The E-M1 is supposed to have better facilities via WiFi connection, but as you note, it's only accessible through "apps" on Android or iOS, which means having to use an additional or intermediate "mobile device" to accomplish anything or transfer images. IMO, it's a stupid limitation.

Image transfer, but not tethering, has been possible with USB on Olympus mFT cameras. Since WiFi is less secure and slower, a wired USB connection for image transfer and tethering could be preferable in a studio setting. I imagine USB tethering could be implemented in firmware along with WiFi, but I don't think Olympus will consider doing it.

Since the E-M1 has WiFi as the only method of tethering, Olympus is wrong to ignore widely used and far more capable platforms camera owners might want to employ besides Android and iOS.

Consequences of Olympus' wrong idea are going to show up soon.  By coincidence, in a couple of months, by which time the E-M1 will be available in quantity, the new generation Intel-based tablets/convertibles running Windows 8.1 will also be hitting the shelves in a big way.

According to a multitude of reports and analysis these tablets (and convertibles) are expected to perform, and sell, quite nicely. Won't owners of these computers also expect to be able to access the camera remotely? Now, is Olympus going to provide software for these systems as well?

I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen.  But do expect the murmur of complaints to start rolling in by year's end.

Give me the protocol information, and I'll write a utility to access the E-M1 from my unix box and call it good. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to do it for any OS for that matter. Just seems not very smart to ignore a significant-sized market segment, when it wouldn't cost anything (or very little) to let it happen.

Jules.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads