Noise added during RAW to JPG conversion

Started Sep 13, 2013 | Discussions
Bill Donnell Senior Member • Posts: 1,026
Noise added during RAW to JPG conversion

I have done some test shots in higher ISOs there was little if any noise when the RAW file was viewed. When converted to JPG, noise was apparent. (Converted in SilkeyPix) Is this common in JPG conversions? If so, what is causing this? Can't find another program that will convert X20 RAW files. Is there an option to keep this from happening?

Bill Donnell's gear list:Bill Donnell's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon D3200 +1 more
Trevor G Veteran Member • Posts: 6,576
Re: Noise added during RAW to JPG conversion

Bill Donnell wrote:

I have done some test shots in higher ISOs there was little if any noise when the RAW file was viewed. When converted to JPG, noise was apparent. (Converted in SilkeyPix) Is this common in JPG conversions? If so, what is causing this? Can't find another program that will convert X20 RAW files. Is there an option to keep this from happening?

Can you provide a RAW sample file for me to try, please?

It might have something to do with wrong USM settings when Developing.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

OP Bill Donnell Senior Member • Posts: 1,026

Thanks Trevor Be glad to send Awaiting instructions

OP Bill Donnell Senior Member • Posts: 1,026

Trevor, I went back and pixel peeped both RAW and JPG. I made the shot against a strong back light to induce noise in a dark subject. After examining both I have concluded that the noise in the JPG was induced by aggressive post processing to correct the exposure of the subject. I also detected some noise in the RAW when peeped. I now don't think conversion had anything to do with it.

Trevor G Veteran Member • Posts: 6,576

Bill Donnell wrote:

. I now don't think conversion had anything to do with it.

That's what I imagined, too.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Elyharbour
Elyharbour Senior Member • Posts: 2,292

Bill Donnell wrote:

Bill you mentioned about no other program opening X20 RAWs. Well I know ACR will, but my suggestion is to use the Adobe DNG converter. Just about every RAW converter will open DNGs as far as I know.

Update: On reflection, there have been issues with DNG converter and .RAF files. But when I import as DNG in LR4.4 everything looks fine...so it's an idea anyway.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Canon G9 X Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads