* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 281, 13 09 11 *

Started Sep 11, 2013 | Photos
Zindanfel
Zindanfel Veteran Member • Posts: 9,269
Re: Stillness...

stephent wrote:

No talk of a new camera here, just a calm morning of reflection.

Regards.

Stephen.

Just beyond I see a second small bend of the stream. Though out of direct view it surely is not out of mind, and in the viewer's awareness of the further, unexplored cove lies the heart of the picture -- the promise of a new place, a fresh experience.

Calm water in the scene's foreground evokes a contemplative mood, which is leavened by the second cove's suggestion of subtle dynamics inherent in imminent prospects for discovery.

A top-crop to eliminate the distant green shrubbery would intensify the interpretation.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Re: Inhabited Ruins and a sunbeam in to Black and white..

LouHolland wrote:

Inhabited Ruins and a sunbeam in to Black and white..

Thanks for Looking&Comments

Lou

Click to enlarge

The expansive foreground works well to allow the viewer a measured, thoughtful approach to the scene. This is useful because there is a great deal of architectural content to be taken in. A tight, in-your-face crop would not work.

The small green patch demands my eye disproportionate to its role in the scene. I would prefer no color in the grass, or if there must be color, a uniform barely-present sepia tone throughout the foreground grass might work.

-- hide signature --

Zin

Zindanfel
Re: Kingen does Heartbreak Hotel

Fixxxer wrote:

Swedish performer Kingen Karlsson does his trademarked version of Elvis Presley's Heartbreak Hotel where he sings parts of the song in a megaphone. Taken at the inaugural Logrock festival in Sveg, Sweden. Biggest problem was that I didn't use a flash at this show as I stood just by the band in front row and didn't want to blind them.

Canon EOS 1D mIIN with Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6

Well, for sure Elvis has left the building.

I will imagine that the megaphone is transforming the vocal to that tinny quality heard in The New Vaudeville Band's 1966 rendition of "Winchester Cathedral."

All the angular mic supports are useful counterpoints to both the megaphone's round bell and the random lines of human form, and also effectively set a "performance" scene. I would never mistake this for an emergency announcement -- those guys never close their eyes.

A trim off the bottom just above the red patch would nicely neaten up the crop .

-- hide signature --

Zin

LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,311

Stephent, a really lovely shot and if I have to look it over and over again, you could say there is someting wrong but I don't know what... or you could say, it is so lovely to look at, I probably can't do anything to improve it. I will choose for the last option. However to give it a slight more swamp feeling I couldn't hold myself back. So I have done some slight work on the light and dark parts as it has to got a tiny bit more in balans, Anyway that is just personal. I made a seperate layer from the top to blend it in, so the lighter parts still hold it own color and I've used some burn tools and blendings. It's all just a tiny bit. Stephent this prove will be removed within five days. You may think or say everyting about it.

Lou

-

stephent wrote:

No talk of a new camera here, just a calm morning of reflection.

Regards.

Stephen.

tinternaut Veteran Member • Posts: 7,755
Re: A city square

This is certainly an area I've photographed and shown here before. This was taken in harsh, early autumn light, and I took a very different approach to processing it, in order to preserve highlights.  I'll not say how, at this point.

City Square Redux, ©2013 Jason Hindle

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +13 more
Zindanfel
Re: The Lion and the Lamb

RoelHendrickx wrote:

A Las Vegas street photo

(shot at that vague hour between the end of the evening/night and the beginning of a new day - although that distinction and period may be a bit less clear in Sin City than it is elsewhere) :

It is actually two pictures separated -- literally -- by the white stonework.

The viewer's challenge is whether to imagine a synthesis in which each half helps explain the other, or to merely admire the photographic excellence.

It's tempting to just look and move on; the emotional price for lingering is high.

Roel's is not the Photography of Easy Answers.  As usual.

-- hide signature --

Zin

minniev Senior Member • Posts: 2,954
sunbeam walkway

I took a bunch of pictures this morning just after sunrise in the swamp up the Trace. I'd been waiting impatiently for a morning with fog to see what the early sun might look like there. It was only a tiny bit of fog & didn't last long. I got eaten alive by mosquitos. Came away with a lot of intriguing shots that I don't know quite what to do with, wish I could post a dozen for your advice. May slip some of them into other threads. I didn't want the big tree on the right but when I moved a bit left the beams went away, so I just accepted it. I'm standing on the second step going down to the bridge, trying to keep the steps out because they are ugly and distracting.

What I like best, of course, is the sunbeam. It brings the scene to life. The contrast between the warm beam and what it does to brighten and colorize the otherwise less than colorful (somewhat gloomy) scene is, to me, what is appealing. (Rays of hope, to be philosophical) But then I do enjoy spooky old ruins and sunbeams so a photo that brings them together is bound to appeal.

dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
Strawberry Peak red bush

On Sunday I climbed about 2000 feet through Colby Canyon to reach a ridge between Strawberry Peak and Josephine Peak. This is dead center in the middle of where the Station Fire of August, 2009 burned through. The low brush and chaparral have come back but it will be many years before the tall pine trees return. It's a 3 hour hike and 3000 foot climb one way to reach that peak.

Three images of the same bush, just a short way up the trail. That's Strawberry Peak up high. The backside is a 1000 foot high shear cliff that looks like a smaller version of Yosemite's Half Dome.

E-5 and 14-35 mm lens at 16 mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/80 sec. Red on the sunny side.

Red on the sunny side.

White on the backlit side. Same settings, same exposure, accurate WB.

White on the backlit side

A close-up of the seeds. E-5 and 14-35 mm lens at 35 mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/100 sec.

Seeds emerging from flower

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines

That's a fine S-curve with wonderful colors. Very peaceful feeling.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Re: Thought about skipping this week

Skipping requires a beach full of flat rocks and calm water. None of that here in So Cal today so I'm glad you didn't skip. Thanks for running a great thread.

It's important to keep posting photos with our DSLRs and even m4/3 with so much anticipation going on. It will be a couple of months before we start to see photos from the E-M1.

-- hide signature --

Dave

LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,311
Re: Strawberry Peak red bush

The first is a rather busy and restless shot with a lack of detail, also the overall impression is flat and a bit hectic and not enough seprate the background to make it interesting, the second does the job better, but the latter is a beauty with a wonderfull color scheme and expression.

Lou

-

dave gaines wrote:

On Sunday I climbed about 2000 feet through Colby Canyon to reach a ridge between Strawberry Peak and Josephine Peak. This is dead center in the middle of where the Station Fire of August, 2009 burned through. The low brush and chaparral have come back but it will be many years before the tall pine trees return. It's a 3 hour hike and 3000 foot climb one way to reach that peak.

Three images of the same bush, just a short way up the trail. That's Strawberry Peak up high. The backside is a 1000 foot high shear cliff that looks like a smaller version of Yosemite's Half Dome.

E-5 and 14-35 mm lens at 16 mm, ISO 200, f/11, 1/80 sec. Red on the sunny side.

Red on the sunny side.

White on the backlit side. Same settings, same exposure, accurate WB.

White on the backlit side

A close-up of the seeds. E-5 and 14-35 mm lens at 35 mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/100 sec.

Re: Thought about skipping this week

Thank you for NOT skipping. The general fuss and grumble will turn into something else eventually and everyone will remember WHY we are interested in camera stuff in the first place. The image threads are the most valuable part of the forum in my opinion, and what sets this forum apart from the m43 forum where it is always like this for one reason or another. Thanks for staying the course.

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,700

Indeed, a nice calm image.  Like the deep blue of the water.  Also like Lou's subtle modification.  The darkening of a couple of areas draws the eye more into the water and the reflection.  Had to go back and forth several times to see exactly what was done.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: The Lion and the Lamb

A well executed, but disturbing image!  The lion proudly taking a stance while the gentleman on the steps looks totally defeated.  Then there are the two cans sitting beside him.  What was his down fall?  The lion, the raft of sins available in Sin City, the contents of the cans??  We can only guess.

Andrew

19andrew47

A well executed working of the image Lou.  Where the sunbeam breaks through and illuminates the scene, there is colour and in the other areas, monochrome!   I like the treatment and the subject matter as well.  Nicely framed and composed to boot.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: A city square

A very attractive street scene. Some place I would like to walk and visit. Colourful, interesting old buildings, and a slice of life of the area. Any perspective distortion seems to have been corrected. I like it.  Don't know if it is possible to bring up the shadows from the left side slightly, but it is fine the way it is.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: sunbeam walkway

Like the light coming through the trees.  An attractive image.  Tried a couple of different crops but they didn't really do anything for me.  I think it is good as it is.

Andrew

dave gaines
Strawberry Peak - Thanks for the critique

LouHolland wrote:

The first is a rather busy and restless shot with a lack of detail, also the overall impression is flat and a bit hectic and not enough seprate the background to make it interesting, the second does the job better, but the latter is a beauty with a wonderfull color scheme and expression.

Lou

Thanks for the critique Lou,

You're absolutely right. The first shot in full sun showing the red was like photographing a pink cotton ball against a faded red flannel sheet. The bush was soft without details and the ground was a warm sandy color.

For me, this image is about the peak and ridge. I'd just hiked back down from the ridge on the left, between peaks. That took about 1 1/2 hours and 1800 of the total 2000 foot elevation difference. I've hiked to the peak several times before the forest fire. It's a gruelling 3 hour climb of 3000 feet, the last part scrambling up rocks with hands and feet. The trail has been closed since the fire and still is. But it was accessible if you knew where to park. It was good to see someone has been doing a lot of work on the trail.

The 2nd shot is backlit. I saw these white glowing bushes on a ridge above me as I hiked down to this point. It wasn't until I hiked around this one, which was next to the trail, that I saw the variation between sunlit color and opaque whispy backlighting.

I'm glad you like the last one. It does show detail and variation with the oof background. Shot from about as close as that lens will focus at the long end of the zoom.

dave gaines wrote:

On Sunday I climbed about 2000 feet through Colby Canyon to reach a ridge between Strawberry Peak and Josephine Peak. ...

A close-up of the seeds. E-5 and 14-35 mm lens at 35 mm, ISO 200, f/8, 1/100 sec.

-- hide signature --

Dave

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines

Ah, the sunbeam in an otherwise cloudy day. It is good fortune that you happened apon the good light or patient that you waited for it to appear. It illuminates the house and pond well.

I like how you've turned the sky into a black and white scene. You must be really good at the post processing.

If it's inhabited they have a lot of work to do to keep this place ship shape. The basement must be very damp. At first it seems like an old grist mill or textile plant with the access to flowing water. But there don't appear to be any working quarters or accomodations for water through the living quarters. So I imagine it is a well protected fortress, surrounded by water and with a watch tower.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads