NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

Started Sep 6, 2013 | Discussions
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,534
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

hyenadog wrote:

Diopter wrote:

gwlaw99 wrote:

The 5R usually comes with the 18-55 lens. The 5T comes with the 16-50 lens.

I agree: motorized zoom for an interchangeable lens camera is a nonsense

I would disagree, the ONLY advantage the NEx has over the small light entry level dslr is compactness, bolt on a big standard kit lens to anyone rational it looses this advantage .. after all the NEX (5/6) is far more expensive, AF is crap in comparison, lens choice is crap in comparison, ergonomics are crap in comparison, battery life is crap in comparison .. etc etc

apart from some people not liking the PZ lever the usual Sony lens QC problem hammered the new folding lens design - a lot of people say its soft - in 99% of cases its crap Sony QC on the AF
- buy the focus bracketing app and test it and if the AF is out send it back to Sony

I got a crap focusing AF PZ kit and with the Focus bracketing app proved easily to Sony the AF was crap and got the lens block replaced with a V2 one which AF properly and is very sharp and at least as good as the std kit lens

You only own an original NEX-5, right? How would you know?

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,534
Re: LOL (n/t)

Diopter wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

cross product synergy' or whatever terms the senior managment use to define what needs to appear to be done if one wants a good appraisal

LOL

I thought it was a 'cross-pollinator.'

LOL

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Zenjitsuman Contributing Member • Posts: 793
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

Maybe the Nex 5S will come along with a BSI sensor   That would be good

for 40% better sensitivity.  Lower the noise, better dynamic range.

 Zenjitsuman's gear list:Zenjitsuman's gear list
Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Voigtlander 21mm F1.8 Ultron
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,534
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

Zenjitsuman wrote:

Maybe the Nex 5S will come along with a BSI sensor That would be good

for 40% better sensitivity. Lower the noise, better dynamic range.

No, I'm afraid that SAR got the last BS. Woops, I meant 5S.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Kashmir442 Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head
3

parallaxproblem wrote:

The release is very strange as it offers no obvious advantages to new users (unless there are interface changes, which could have been implemented via a firmware change to the 5r anyway) and alienates existing 5R users who just see the value of their camera drop and who will almost certainly not see any firmware improvements which might(?) appear in the new model migrated to the 5R (ie. the 5T effectively becomes a $700 firmware upgrade over the 5R)

I suspect the release is mainly driven by internal Sony politics... nfc is a feature of the latest Sony phones and triluminous is a feature of the latest Sony TV's. These features will be of no interest or use to most customers but doubtless the product manager won 'brownie points' (or at least hoped to) for 'leveraging cross product synergy' or whatever terms the senior managment use to define what needs to appear to be done if one wants a good appraisal

No, it's just a simple product refresh, not an upgrade. It's not very hard to understand, although some people kind of "block" their own thought processes and tie themselves in knots trying to come up with trivial things to whinge about.

If you feel alienated by a product refresh, you perhaps need a new outlook on life. What does it even mean that the "value" of your 5R has dropped? Are you planning on selling it soon? Did you buy it as an investment, rather than a tool to take pictures? Would you be satisfied with the 5T release if it had more new features and de-valued your personal camera even more?

On second thought, don't bother answering those questions. I have a good idea of what the answers will be, and I shouldn't encourage you to suck up everyone's bandwidth with pointless whining.

parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

Kashmir442 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

The release is very strange as it offers no obvious advantages to new users (unless there are interface changes, which could have been implemented via a firmware change to the 5r anyway) and alienates existing 5R users who just see the value of their camera drop and who will almost certainly not see any firmware improvements which might(?) appear in the new model migrated to the 5R (ie. the 5T effectively becomes a $700 firmware upgrade over the 5R)

I suspect the release is mainly driven by internal Sony politics... nfc is a feature of the latest Sony phones and triluminous is a feature of the latest Sony TV's. These features will be of no interest or use to most customers but doubtless the product manager won 'brownie points' (or at least hoped to) for 'leveraging cross product synergy' or whatever terms the senior managment use to define what needs to appear to be done if one wants a good appraisal

No, it's just a simple product refresh, not an upgrade. It's not very hard to understandd

It is for me, but then I'm a bit of a thickie.  I wish I'd been born clever like you.   I bet you can read those long latin numbers you see at the end of BBC documentaries and everything!  Please explain this concept to me (the simple product refresh, not the latin numbers) as I find it hard to grasp.

- I'm very interested in understanding what has been 'refreshed'

- why it needed a new product launch

- exactly what has Sony gained from all the costs associated with a new product launch (regulatory approvals, creating necessary product literature, new packaging, advertising, dumping/writing-off old stock)

- why anything 'refreshed' in this product (and please exclude nfc and triluminous video output to maintain some personal credibility) couldn't have been supplied by a firmware update to the 5R

On second thought, don't bother answering those questions. I have a good idea of what the answers will be, and I shouldn't encourage you to suck up everyone's bandwidth with pointless whining.

Gosh, I'm really not worthy! To be replied to by somebody who is able to predict what I can type before my hands even reach the keyboard!

As it's always fun to receive insults so I had a quick look at your past postings and see that sadly you have a history of insulting and agressive behaviour in your 79 posts. I'm a bit disappointed as I thought I might be special in some way in order to deserve this

Still not quite sure how posting here is "sucking-up everyone's bandwidth" but as the level of of the argument was above my intellectual level in so many other ways I guess I will just have to take that statement on trust

 parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,534
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

Kashmir442 wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

The release is very strange as it offers no obvious advantages to new users (unless there are interface changes, which could have been implemented via a firmware change to the 5r anyway) and alienates existing 5R users who just see the value of their camera drop and who will almost certainly not see any firmware improvements which might(?) appear in the new model migrated to the 5R (ie. the 5T effectively becomes a $700 firmware upgrade over the 5R)

I suspect the release is mainly driven by internal Sony politics... nfc is a feature of the latest Sony phones and triluminous is a feature of the latest Sony TV's. These features will be of no interest or use to most customers but doubtless the product manager won 'brownie points' (or at least hoped to) for 'leveraging cross product synergy' or whatever terms the senior managment use to define what needs to appear to be done if one wants a good appraisal

No, it's just a simple product refresh, not an upgrade. It's not very hard to understand, although some people kind of "block" their own thought processes and tie themselves in knots trying to come up with trivial things to whinge about.

If you feel alienated by a product refresh, you perhaps need a new outlook on life. What does it even mean that the "value" of your 5R has dropped? Are you planning on selling it soon? Did you buy it as an investment, rather than a tool to take pictures? Would you be satisfied with the 5T release if it had more new features and de-valued your personal camera even more?

On second thought, don't bother answering those questions. I have a good idea of what the answers will be, and I shouldn't encourage you to suck up everyone's bandwidth with pointless whining.

Be nice!

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Diopter
Diopter Senior Member • Posts: 2,830
Upgrade vs. refresh ?! Scratching my head again ....

Kashmir442 wrote:

No, it's just a simple product refresh, not an upgrade.

That’s quite creative differentiation ...

Probably the T-refreshment is more oriented toward moderately goofed advanced amateurs not for totally frustrated entry level enthusiast - as the R-incarnation.

Seriously speaking: such "refreshment" is a waste of money and is deceiving attention of the public.

Again: as the whole society we are entering new levels of the austerity programs and it is time for Sony to get it.

(-)

crudman Regular Member • Posts: 209
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

Kashmir442 wrote:

No, it's just a simple product refresh, not an upgrade. It's not very hard to understand, although some people kind of "block" their own thought processes and tie themselves in knots trying to come up with trivial things to whinge about.

If you feel alienated by a product refresh, you perhaps need a new outlook on life. What does it even mean that the "value" of your 5R has dropped? Are you planning on selling it soon? Did you buy it as an investment, rather than a tool to take pictures? Would you be satisfied with the 5T release if it had more new features and de-valued your personal camera even more?

On second thought, don't bother answering those questions. I have a good idea of what the answers will be, and I shouldn't encourage you to suck up everyone's bandwidth with pointless whining.

This is so true.

People are too used to expecting massive scale upgrades such as the earlier generation of Apple products since the iPhone. There hasn't been any claims from Sony about this and my local Sony site doesn't even feature the product prominently, it simply replaces the spot where the 5R was. If someone buys a new 5 range camera they get the latest technology that they've created for it, not last years and not the technology present in the more premium 6 and 7 range.

A brand new 2013 model car is not going to have much difference to a brand new 2012 version of the same thing or earlier versions for the most part. If you want something better, upgrade to a better model and not a later version of the same thing.

parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

crudman wrote:

Kashmir442 wrote:

No, it's just a simple product refresh, not an upgrade. It's not very hard to understand, although some people kind of "block" their own thought processes and tie themselves in knots trying to come up with trivial things to whinge about.

If you feel alienated by a product refresh, you perhaps need a new outlook on life. What does it even mean that the "value" of your 5R has dropped? Are you planning on selling it soon? Did you buy it as an investment, rather than a tool to take pictures? Would you be satisfied with the 5T release if it had more new features and de-valued your personal camera even more?

On second thought, don't bother answering those questions. I have a good idea of what the answers will be, and I shouldn't encourage you to suck up everyone's bandwidth with pointless whining.

This is so true.

People are too used to expecting massive scale upgrades such as the earlier generation of Apple products since the iPhone.

There hasn't been any claims from Sony about this and my local Sony site doesn't even feature the product prominently, it simply replaces the spot where the 5R was.

Then why perform a release at all?

If someone buys a new 5 range camera they get the latest technology that they've created for it,

And what 'latest technology' would that be?

not last years and not the technology present in the more premium 6 and 7 range.

'technology' in the NEX-6 is identical to that in the 5T.  Sensor and Processor and LCD are seemingly identical.  Only the WiFi chip has been replaced with a revised one that offers NFC and possibly the video output chip is a different revision (or maybe Triluminous compatible output is performed in firmware?)

A brand new 2013 model car is not going to have much difference to a brand new 2012 version of the same thing or earlier versions for the most part. If you want something better, upgrade to a better model and not a later version of the same thing.

Doesn't a 2013 model of the car have at the very least a different paint job together with improved extras/trim level (for an existing model) and some minor styling changes?

What changes are there  in the NEX 5T?  I see no paint job, no changes to 'trim level', no real extras or improvements...  it doesn't compare to an incremental year-on-year car release at all from what I can see

Cars also tend to have a useful working life of 15 years or maybe more and it's a well established and mature market so ongoing upgrades of features and trim between major model replacements is a given

Mirrorless cameras are a new and (normally) rapidly moving technology.  It seems extraordinary that a new model in this market does not bring any obvious technology advances other than NFC (who's benefits aren't even pushed in the launch literature) and Triluminous compatible video output (which isn't even mentioned in the launch literature and which I only saw when I read carefully through the full product specs!)

 parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,080
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head
1

kage wrote:

Perhaps this has been discussed before...

But is the difference between the two really just the NFC?

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy right now, and am wondering if I am missing some detail. Maybe there is a performance difference? Something?

Confused.

-k-

I have Nex5, Nex5n, Nex5r...and once I brought them to the same trip.

From my Lightroom browser, I can see quite a visible difference in terms of colour reproduction and image quality, although the image difference is slight.

So I believe 5t must have an improved sensor.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

 Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D500 +66 more
parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

Mark K wrote:

kage wrote:

Perhaps this has been discussed before...

But is the difference between the two really just the NFC?

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy right now, and am wondering if I am missing some detail. Maybe there is a performance difference? Something?

Confused.

-k-

I have Nex5, Nex5n, Nex5r...and once I brought them to the same trip.

From my Lightroom browser, I can see quite a visible difference in terms of colour reproduction and image quality, although the image difference is slight.

You find the 5R better than the 5N?

Many people here say the opposite.  I don't have a 5N so can't compare

So I believe 5t must have an improved sensor.

It doesn't, sorry.  The sensor in the 5T is the same as the sensor in the 5R.  There are certainly improved sensors in the pipeline but it appears they weren't ready in time to be used in this model

 parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
Mark K
Mark K Veteran Member • Posts: 6,080
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

parallaxproblem wrote:

Mark K wrote:

kage wrote:

Perhaps this has been discussed before...

But is the difference between the two really just the NFC?

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy right now, and am wondering if I am missing some detail. Maybe there is a performance difference? Something?

Confused.

-k-

I have Nex5, Nex5n, Nex5r...and once I brought them to the same trip.

From my Lightroom browser, I can see quite a visible difference in terms of colour reproduction and image quality, although the image difference is slight.

You find the 5R better than the 5N?

Many people here say the opposite. I don't have a 5N so can't compare

So I believe 5t must have an improved sensor.

It doesn't, sorry. The sensor in the 5T is the same as the sensor in the 5R. There are certainly improved sensors in the pipeline but it appears they weren't ready in time to be used in this model

1. Yes, I images of my 5r better than the two 5ns I have. I double check the sensor performance from DxO lab and sensor in 5r offers better colour depth and colour difference is the most from my result. I shoot primarily using manual mode, iso 100, aperture 8 or smaller. 5n's sensor offers better high iso performance but in my case, 5r is still better. The faster AF usign 5r is also helps a lot.

2. I am talking about incremental and smaller improvement as I also believe all these cameras use the same snesor.

One of the reasons is the price. The price difference of having a kit 5n, 5r and 5t is very small so I will advise it is still better to have a 5t than 5n.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

 Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7R II Nikon D500 +66 more
Karsten Meyer
Karsten Meyer Contributing Member • Posts: 803
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

I heared that coupling a camera to a smartphone via WiFi is just a pain. With NFC you just hold the two devices together and press a button - that's it. But NFC needs a tiny piece of hardware, so they couldn't do it just as a firmware update. So they made the NEX-5t.

Btw I never tried it, but sometimes I'm dreaming of such a possibility. Up to now I take terrible pictures with my old smartphone when I want to show a friend where I am - and my NEX remains in its bag...

-- hide signature --

--> See my photos on http://gplus.to/KarstenMeyer

nevercat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,193
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head
1

totaly agree, unless you realy realy wants the NFC

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 21,096
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head
1

paulcraig wrote:

Personally, I'd grab a 5R since they are a great deal now. The 5T adds very little. Sony cameras are already on a yearly refresh cycle (more or less) so I wonder if this is an attempt by Sony to accelerate this further, taking a page from Apple's playbook.

I think it is entirely about the practical problems of mass production.

Components are available for only a limited time. Sony orders, for example, a year's supply of some switch or connector used in the NEX-5. A year later, the supplier has a new design of switch. The old switch is no longer available. This goes on all over the camera, requiring a general redesign.

While they are doing a redesign, they incorporate any new features that have come along. This year the only new feature was the NFC.

Models like the 7 that sell more slowly can go for longer between revisions.

captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,534
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

Mark K wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Mark K wrote:

kage wrote:

Perhaps this has been discussed before...

But is the difference between the two really just the NFC?

I'm trying to figure out which one to buy right now, and am wondering if I am missing some detail. Maybe there is a performance difference? Something?

Confused.

-k-

I have Nex5, Nex5n, Nex5r...and once I brought them to the same trip.

From my Lightroom browser, I can see quite a visible difference in terms of colour reproduction and image quality, although the image difference is slight.

You find the 5R better than the 5N?

Many people here say the opposite. I don't have a 5N so can't compare

So I believe 5t must have an improved sensor.

It doesn't, sorry. The sensor in the 5T is the same as the sensor in the 5R. There are certainly improved sensors in the pipeline but it appears they weren't ready in time to be used in this model

1. Yes, I images of my 5r better than the two 5ns I have. I double check the sensor performance from DxO lab and sensor in 5r offers better colour depth and colour difference is the most from my result. I shoot primarily using manual mode, iso 100, aperture 8 or smaller. 5n's sensor offers better high iso performance but in my case, 5r is still better. The faster AF usign 5r is also helps a lot.

2. I am talking about incremental and smaller improvement as I also believe all these cameras use the same snesor.

One of the reasons is the price. The price difference of having a kit 5n, 5r and 5t is very small so I will advise it is still better to have a 5t than 5n.

The 5N and the 5R must have slightly different sensors because the 5R's has PDAF pixels embedded.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Kashmir442 Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

parallaxproblem wrote:

crudman wrote:

There hasn't been any claims from Sony about this and my local Sony site doesn't even feature the product prominently, it simply replaces the spot where the 5R was.

Then why perform a release at all?

Why do you think Sony owes you an explanation? Your questions are not invalid, but I jumped on you because this is at least the 7th thread that I've seen you whingeing about the same minor product refresh (and I don't even read every thread). It's tiresome and unnecessary.

My best guess is that they're not ready to do a major overhaul of the 5-series rangefinder body for a while, but the competition is adding more and more connectivity options to their cameras. I think they're slipping the NFC in to keep up with the other guys somewhat and there might have also been some synergy with the QX lenses NFC on development cost / time.

But again, that's just a guess. Lots of stuff that Sony does isn't clear to me, but nobody says that it really needs to be. As long as they keep making stuff I do want then they'll get some shekels out of me.

GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,658
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

parallaxproblem wrote:

crudman wrote:

Kashmir442 wrote:

No, it's just a simple product refresh, not an upgrade. It's not very hard to understand, although some people kind of "block" their own thought processes and tie themselves in knots trying to come up with trivial things to whinge about.

If you feel alienated by a product refresh, you perhaps need a new outlook on life. What does it even mean that the "value" of your 5R has dropped? Are you planning on selling it soon? Did you buy it as an investment, rather than a tool to take pictures? Would you be satisfied with the 5T release if it had more new features and de-valued your personal camera even more?

On second thought, don't bother answering those questions. I have a good idea of what the answers will be, and I shouldn't encourage you to suck up everyone's bandwidth with pointless whining.

This is so true.

People are too used to expecting massive scale upgrades such as the earlier generation of Apple products since the iPhone.

There hasn't been any claims from Sony about this and my local Sony site doesn't even feature the product prominently, it simply replaces the spot where the 5R was.

Then why perform a release at all?

It seems like they could save money and extend the existing model another year.  It's up to their marketing department to make the call, I guess.  Hard to get people excited about an "old" model in this day of ever-improving technology.

If someone buys a new 5 range camera they get the latest technology that they've created for it,

And what 'latest technology' would that be?

not last years and not the technology present in the more premium 6 and 7 range.

'technology' in the NEX-6 is identical to that in the 5T. Sensor and Processor and LCD are seemingly identical. Only the WiFi chip has been replaced with a revised one that offers NFC and possibly the video output chip is a different revision (or maybe Triluminous compatible output is performed in firmware?)

If these are the only differences, and the Nex-5T is sold at the same price as the Nex-5R was, then what's the problem?

At any rate, I thought part of the rumor was an "improved sensor"?  If so, this is another change beyond simply a new firmware.

since there are changes, better to call it a new version than have people wonder what's in their camera. Or would you call it a 5T-mark 2?  

A brand new 2013 model car is not going to have much difference to a brand new 2012 version of the same thing or earlier versions for the most part. If you want something better, upgrade to a better model and not a later version of the same thing.

Doesn't a 2013 model of the car have at the very least a different paint job together with improved extras/trim level (for an existing model) and some minor styling changes?

Not always.  I had a 2005 TSX.  I think colors and body style were the same probably through the entire model design (until 2008?).  A minor bump in horsepower and minor changes to the bumper style went into effect in 2006, but otherwise things were pretty much the same.

In my current car's model, between the years 2010 and 2013, I think the only difference has been minor improvements to the engine and the radio.

So you might go out to buy a new car and it'll often be exactly the same as the prior year's car.  Or it could be a redesign.  Or just a few minor improvements and almost exactly the same.

What changes are there in the NEX 5T? I see no paint job, no changes to 'trim level', no real extras or improvements... it doesn't compare to an incremental year-on-year car release at all from what I can see

But there are differences. If there were absolutely no differences, I'd agree, leave the name.

Cars also tend to have a useful working life of 15 years or maybe more and it's a well established and mature market so ongoing upgrades of features and trim between major model replacements is a given

Mirrorless cameras are a new and (normally) rapidly moving technology. It seems extraordinary that a new model in this market does not bring any obvious technology advances other than NFC (who's benefits aren't even pushed in the launch literature) and Triluminous compatible video output (which isn't even mentioned in the launch literature and which I only saw when I read carefully through the full product specs!)

What else do you want? 20 mp?  Another button or dial?  I dunno, until they come up with something substantial, we're just left with incremental improvements. The camera is already pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

 GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
parallaxproblem Veteran Member • Posts: 5,335
Re: NEX-5R vs NEX-5T... scratching my head

GaryW wrote:

What else do you want? 20 mp? Another button or dial? I dunno, until they come up with something substantial, we're just left with incremental improvements. The camera is already pretty good.

But we it seems that we didn't even get any incremental improvements on the NEX-5T except for things allowing it to connect to other Sony devices that most of us don't own!

I don't care about resolution (14MP was fine for me!) but there are plenty of incremental improvements which could easily be made whilst keeping the same sensor (as we have already discussed, many times):

- Weatherproofing (people are reporting issues caused by water and humity)

- polarising on rear LCD glass to give better sunlight visibility (like on recent mobile phones)

- More sensitive/responsive touchscreen

- Faster, lower-powered CPU (yes, you can have both) for improved interface response (particularly 'wake-up' from sleep which can be problematic) and longer battery life

- Improved PDAF performance (if possible with current sensor)

- Make some use of the top dial: at the moment it is almost pointless (except in M mode)

- Move top dial to front of camera body, next to shutter (as on DSLR bodies), so it can be operated by forefinger leaving thumb for rear dial rather than moving the thumb pointlessly between the two dials

- Rear buttons should go back to silver colour and strap eyelets should revert to the way they were in original NEX-5 and NEX-5N

- Restore LCD light sensor from NEX-5 and NEX-5N

- Restore metal top panel as in NEX-5N (and to some extent original NEX-5).  Why was this removed, but the camera price remained the same between 5N and 5R?  Quality drops are not impressive between models when the list remains the same and encourages suspicions of profiteering

- Maybe add standard hotshoe (actually this would annoy me, but I would understand why they did it) as with RX100II

- Improved App integration

- Increase number of customisation options from 6 to 8

- Quick-Navi screen enabled when EVF is attached (why is this only on NEX-6 - buying the EVF should give you NEX-6 capabilities, surely?)

- Allow different customisation options when using EVF to when only using LCD (selectable point becomes important with EVF as cannot use touchscreen for this when looking through EVF)

- Customisable, direct access to a function (exposure compensation, ISO?) on rear dial whilst shooting

- Improve the user interface when using the DMF function (currently not optimal)

- Remove pre-flash on 'M' mode (pointless)

- Keep histogram visible when applying exposure compensation

- Move MFNR from app into main firmware where it really belongs

- Allow better features for RAW HDR users

- Re-Organise menus so that they make more logical sense (particularly the difference between items in 'camera' and 'setup' which seem rather arbitary)

- etc etc

See... not difficult, and I'm not even a professional camera designer!  Also note that everything after the hotshoe in the above can be done in firmware

 parallaxproblem's gear list:parallaxproblem's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 NEX5R Sony a77 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads