Any tips / advice for trip to Rome?

Started Sep 6, 2013 | Questions
James_lpool
James_lpool Contributing Member • Posts: 578
Any tips / advice for trip to Rome?

I am going to Rome this Sunday morning (8th Sept), maybe i would have been best asking this a bit sooner than now, but just wondered if anyone has any general tips and camera advice for when i'm there.

I have never been there before, up to now i have a couple of spare batteries ready, i will be there for 5 days.

Thanks

James

James_lpool's gear list:James_lpool's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,059
Re: Any tips / advice for trip to Rome?

What sort of tips are you looking for? Locations, equipment, safety? Is photography the main purpose, etc? Tell us a bit more and we can better help you. And what gear are you taking?

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
James_lpool
OP James_lpool Contributing Member • Posts: 578

Photography isn't the main porpose but will be a big part for me, my girlfriend isn't a huge photography fan so i will probably have to be quick with my shots lol

I guess locations would be good, maybe apart from the most obvious (coliseum etc) as i will be at them at some point anyway, so maybe the less known places?

I generally shoot in A mode a lot of the time.

James_lpool's gear list:James_lpool's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Len_Gee
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,686

Beware of the ever present pickpockets.

Guard your gear and wallet at all times.   Same with girlfriend.

You'll be likely targets.   Be careful on buses, and at popular tourist sights.

Enjoy Rome.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F +8 more
marlyd Regular Member • Posts: 116

If you have time, some places less visited : EUR (district built under Mussolini) and Foro Italico(see my photos http://marlyd.zenfolio.com/p1016776680)

Take the lift up the Victor Emmanuele monument, terrific view.

100 or more different spaghetti dishes at L'Archetto

jiggedy New Member • Posts: 14

Do as the Romans do.

Krocket Forum Member • Posts: 56

Go early morning or later in the evening to avoid the huge crowds, and yes, watch out for pickpockets, that will bump into you and such.All the fountains are beautiful, the Pantheon, the Forum is great, the Spanish steps, the Vatican, and certainly the biggest, the Coliseum. So much to see- ENJOY!

Krocket's gear list:Krocket's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D3300 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,059

+ have a nice long lunch at lunchtime rather than shoot - as in bright sunny weather the contrast can be huge and a challenge for the DR of any camera - late afternoon and early evening sunlight are great especially in combination with some of the Roman architecture

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
sheepy1964 Forum Member • Posts: 78

I come to Rome often. In fact I am here now.

Rome is amazing. You will love it.

Go across the bridge and into the district of Trastevere in the evenings around Piazza Di Santa Maria and there are many many areas to just wander and experience the outside dinning and ambiance that the locals know only too well but many tourists have no idea it exists. Pictures of us dinning a couple of nights ago. September is the best month of the year to go!

sheepy1964's gear list:sheepy1964's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T*
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads