Fuji X-A1

Started Sep 5, 2013 | Discussions
4thnebula Senior Member • Posts: 2,089
Was interested in X-trans from the reviews...

looked to me to have promise.  It is a concern that Fuji is trying a more normal sensor.  A major positive to me was that Fuji was willing to do and try new things (like their potentially coming organic sensor).   Everyone uses Bayer design.  Clearly there can be something better.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Olympus PEN E-PL5 +11 more
Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925
Why is this such a big deal?

If this camera take good pictures and brings in users it is a good marketing ploy and maybe even a good camera (G-d forbid). I am more concerned with how the 16-50mm lens performs, I have to catch up.  This may be a very nice travel camera, and not all are enamored with the Trans X, while some swear by it. There is room for both, let the buyer decide.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,040
Re: Was interested in X-trans from the reviews...

Wouldn't the image quality be more like the X100 without the Xtran sensor? I read on this forum and other sites that some people really prefer the image quality of the X100 over the X100s they said it more filmic. We will see I guess, very soon.

Ed B
Ed B Veteran Member • Posts: 8,806
Re: Fuji X-A1

forpetessake wrote:

Elliot H wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

So it's essentially an x-m1 without the x-trans headaches and cheaper too.

what "x-trans headaches" are you referring to?

thank you

Let me guess -- bad colors, strange artifacts.

You may need to do yourself, and everyone else, a favor and simply read the review of the X-E1 posted on this site.

The only "hit" the camera takes is with its video output and if a person is looking for a video camera they would be better off with a different camera (Bayer sensor?).

Naturally, cameras like the X-Pro1 and X-E1 aren't the most ideal cameras for everyone. They're just cameras and some people will like them; some people won't like them.

Almost every professional reviewer agrees that if you're an experienced photographer, who's primarily interested in still photographs you'll probably like the X-P1/X-E1 cameras.

There are other cameras that have more consumer friendly features and that a compact camera "up-grader" would be more comfortable using. There are many other cameras that produce a great picture.

When you start looking at upper level mirrorless or DSLR cameras it's hard to find one that's not a good camera.

You're obviously one of those people who would be much happier with a different camera.

Nothing wrong with that.

carlk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,940

JohnNewman wrote:

Even better, I'd love to see Fuji bring out a DSLR with full PDAF which accepted the gorgeous X mount lenses.

I don't think dslr is the reason for most people to go to Fuji.  There are plenty of dslr models of all kinds and huge lens selections from the big two.  Not to mention x mount lens will not be able to be used on a dslr.  It needs to be an entirely new system.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
vkphoto
vkphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,632
you're wrong

forpetessake wrote:

Elliot H wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

thank you

X-Trans (and Foveon) is the most advanced sensor technology for photography on the market. As of today. Keyword=photography.

-- hide signature --
stuartgolden
stuartgolden Forum Member • Posts: 57

DonSantos wrote:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fotoskoda.cz%2Fclanky%2F129-novinky-fujifilm-x-a1-a-fujinon-xf23mm-f1-4%2F

I so plan to get one!

It's a deplorable photoshop of this image:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilm-x-m1/images/xm1-colours.jpg

But let the internets go wild with speculations!!!

stuartgolden's gear list:stuartgolden's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Leica D-Lux (Typ 109)
forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

sgoldswo wrote:

Elliot H wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

thank you

Must have missed those, no wait, they used to be a problem. As for bad colours, that's laughable

For Fuji it's not a laughing matter when buyers see weak, often wrong, plastic-y colors and chose the competition. They are in the market to make money, not the fanboys happy.

forpetessake
forpetessake Veteran Member • Posts: 4,892

Ed B wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

Elliot H wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

thank you

You may need to do yourself, and everyone else, a favor and simply read the review of the X-E1 posted on this site.

LOL. I bought the X-E1 and tested it extensively. It has FAILED written all over it.

Ed B

forpetessake wrote:

Ed B wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

Elliot H wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

thank you

LOL. I bought the X-E1 and tested it extensively. It has FAILED written all over it.

I find that hard to believe and think most of your posts are strictly from a person who has no experience with any camera, other than a point & shoot.

If you did own an X-E1 that had "failed" written all over it, if your camera produced plastic looking pictures, and you couldn't get it to perform to your standards, then there was either something wrong with your camera or your ability to use the camera.

You're simply one of those outspoken people who has an opinion that differs from every (and I mean every) professional reviewer who has used the camera.

You're entitled to your opinion but to come on the Fuji forum and try to convince people of your expertise borders on trolling.

Fuji cameras and Fuji sensors aren't perfect and aren't for everyone. You simply need to buy another brand.

Ed B
Re: Was interested in X-trans from the reviews...

4thnebula wrote:

looked to me to have promise. It is a concern that Fuji is trying a more normal sensor. A major positive to me was that Fuji was willing to do and try new things (like their potentially coming organic sensor). Everyone uses Bayer design. Clearly there can be something better.

They're putting a Bayer sensor in their cheapest entry level camera.

Reasons?

The Bayer sensor is cheaper and will be better for video.

This new camera is designed to make the average consumer happy and to give them a less expensive/better option when up-grading from a compact camera.

Most point & shoot up-graders do not like the upper level Fuji cameras. They're too expensive and don't have the features they depend on to get a decent picture.

These entry level cameras with Bayer sensors will allow Fuji to make an entry level cameras that will appeal to the average camera buyer.

yardcoyote Senior Member • Posts: 8,891

That would interest me a lot, actually.  Not without the EVF, though.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +12 more
rxbot Senior Member • Posts: 1,844

So as it is not an X trans sensor does it or doesn't it have anti alias filter, either way it should have come with EVF. Is it compatible with both A and X mount lens like I read on leaked press release?

Joel Stern
Joel Stern Forum Pro • Posts: 10,925

Mechx1009 wrote:

extraeee wrote:

Elliot H wrote:

DonSantos wrote:

thank you

also interested to know.

Yea, me too. First I've heard of any "headaches"

The headaches referred to are the watercolor effect when processing RAW, especially foliage.  I am surprised a Fuji X user would be unaware of this.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

DarnGoodPhotos Senior Member • Posts: 6,808

I'm a P&S upgrader, from an S100, and I'm leaning towards the X-A1. What I've realized is that at my level of photography the more expensive sensor won't yield noticeably better photos and the $150 saved will go towards a nice compact XF prime. My next upgrade, in a couple of years will be to a Fuji with a viewfinder and better sensor at which point that nice prime I'm buying now will work then.

Hope that shines a little light on how some upgraders see the X-A1 vs the X-M1.

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Canon G7 X II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
vivanchenko Regular Member • Posts: 224

I am an up-grader to. I loved what X cameras equipped with X-Trans can do, so for me the choice was obvious. I chose M1 for its size and uncompromized IQ. M1 did not disappoint. Love the colors, love the white balance, love the  low light performance. No headaches whatsoever. All minor issues easily solved by Capture One or Iridient Developer. Just happy with my M1. Hope it shines a light on what other up-graders might think.
For me it is heard to overestimate how important size is when it comes to capturing those precious moments in life. I keep my X-M1 always with me.  This is a key asset for me. The camera fits in my briefcase. Even E-1 wouldn't. I could afford E1 or E2, but I did not view M1 as a downgrade. With it I can do something what I can't do with other X comers and this something is simply keeping your camera at hand at all times. Inspiration is a wonderful, but unpredictable thing. When it comes I prefer having at hand a camera without VF rather than a DSLR or other larger camera sitting like a dumbbell at home or in my car. Just as long as IQ is not compromised and with M1 it is not. Uncompromized IQ in a small package is an extremely valuable, though underestimated asset.

vivanchenko's gear list:vivanchenko's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads