What was your first digital camera?

Started Sep 3, 2013 | Discussions
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,995
1997 Ricoh RDC-2E

My first was a Ricoh RDC-2E that was about 800,000 pixels. Yeah, zero point 8 megapixels! And anyone who thinks you don't need megapixels for a good photo should look at the crap this thing produced.

And it only cost me $700... to get photos like this. (Not intended to be a great shot, I was just shooting pics of the area.)

Paul B Jones
Paul B Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,808
Canon 10D - Unhappy Experience

Canon 10D. Could not keep the sensor clean (thought it was dust but in retrospect it was probably massive lubricant splatter). Gave up on digital photography for a few years in frustration. Picked up the 30D a few years later and haven't looked back.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 1,407
Re: What was your first digital camera?

Fuji MX700 (1.3MP), circa December 1998.

Actually, I had a Mitsubishi DJ-1000 camera before that. but it was an absolute piece of garbage and unusable for any serious purpose.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-T2 Leica M10 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Ricoh Theta V +23 more
photo madness Junior Member • Posts: 29

I started with an Oly 2100 UZ. 2.1 megapixels and a 10 x zoom. Ok picture quality but it chewed through doubleA batteries like no tomorrow.  I've still got it but will never use it again.

MOD Olga Johnson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,128
Agfa 307 - 1997

The Agfa 307 was great as a first camera. Besides, who needed anything bigger than 640 x 480?  

-- hide signature --

Olga

Joel in Goe Forum Member • Posts: 84
Casio Exilim S1

Wonderful piece of technology - the size of a credit card, and this is in 2003

Set the basis for my desire for tiny cameras. As my definition of "good enough" has changed, the size has gradually crept up (via Canon Ixus i, Fuji F30 and LX3/5) to reach the heights of m4/3 now

When 1.4 Megapixels was just not enough any more, I upgraded to the Exilim S20:

Now with 2 whole Megapixels - enough for anyone

Joel in Goe's gear list:Joel in Goe's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
deleted-13120401 Regular Member • Posts: 212
Some kind of Fuji 0.9MP - can't remember the model

But here are some sample pics. I can't seem to find the exact model. All i can remember is many people hacked the O/S and installed Doom on it!

What it lacked in resolution it also lacked in sharpness... not complaining though it was a gift. I saved up $1,200 for my next camera, a DSC-S70 I bought purely based off reviews in DPreview. (OK also two competitor websites that are still around)

Suhas Sudhakar Kulkarni Regular Member • Posts: 290

Mine was Minolta F300, which I purchased in 2003. I still have it, although I do not use it. I got more advanced cameras now.

This is a nice little camera with complete manual control support and loads of functionality (like customer white balance!) which was rare at that times. 5 Mp images are good, but video quality is so-so

-- hide signature --

Suhas

Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,165
Re: Sony F717

MediaArchivist wrote:

Loved this camera! Awesome lens, "night vision", and pretty rugged, to boot. Sadly, after 6 years and tens of 1000s of photos, the sensor failed and I was forced to upgrade to an R1.

The F707 was my second digital camera and it still works perfectly to this day. The laser focus grid was pretty cool and would sometimes freak people out if you used it in a dark environment. I don't think that camera ever had focus errors.

-Tim

Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Cloud Regular Member • Posts: 207
Olympus C-2100 UZ

Olympus C-2100 UZ - in early 2001. I used to love it...

-- hide signature --

Cloud

Cloud's gear list:Cloud's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Steve Grooms Senior Member • Posts: 2,576
Olympus C-8080

In 2004, this was one of the finest digital cameras to hit the market, and it proved to be a classic. The C-8080 now seems unacceptably slow, but it still produces superb images. I could not have chosen a better camera at the time.

Steve Grooms's gear list:Steve Grooms's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Olympus OM-D E-M10
Nastavnik Regular Member • Posts: 361

Well, le t me see,

I started with a canon G3, 4MP I believe. Quite expensive too at the time. I believe it was 2002 or 2003. It was a good camera in fact, and the one that first made me believe digital wasn't all crap (i am talking compact models). I have some very nice photos of sicily made with it, and one that was even printed rather succesfully  at 40cmx30cm. Though one should try and keep isos around 50 (I didn't know that back then, iso 400 is already quite noisy --- but at least I did get that last photo of my grandfather, under bad lighting, while with film I would hve had no way to know he moved in the first attempt).

Most impressive part: that camera still works. I use it as a polaroid, when I am testing the lighting for photos taken with my RB67.  I must say that since then, no other camera I've had has had the same longevity. Though the fuji f200exr still performs nicely (but it has half the age of the g3).

Ahender Senior Member • Posts: 1,554

Olympus C-700 zoom (2 mp).  Bought in 2002. Have some great pictures from that camera.

liquid stereo
liquid stereo Veteran Member • Posts: 7,265
Sony F717 as well

MediaArchivist wrote:

Loved this camera! Awesome lens, "night vision", and pretty rugged, to boot. Sadly, after 6 years and tens of 1000s of photos, the sensor failed and I was forced to upgrade to an R1.

It was my first as well. Excellent camera. Everything except for the easily saturated red channel.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
all_digital Senior Member • Posts: 2,202

Casio QV-10. Purchased in Hong Kong Jan 1996. Still have it/

-- hide signature --

Art

jimrpdx
jimrpdx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,581

Kodak DC260.  Had some very advanced features for the time, but I moved on pretty quickly. Purchased in late 2000 or 2001 I believe.

amazing image, once upon a time...

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Ahender Senior Member • Posts: 1,554

Here's a C-700 picture.  Took it on my second trip to the Obed River Canyon in Tennessee (2002).

tex Veteran Member • Posts: 7,544
2001: Kodak DC 4800 /nt
-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Ricoh Theta V Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +28 more
n3eg
n3eg Senior Member • Posts: 2,276

Kodak C300, 3MP fixed focus lens.  Gave it to my granddaughter.

First in a long line of Kodaks, last one is the Z990 which I'm using this weekend.

-- hide signature --

It ain't easy being me, but someone's gotta do it.

n3eg's gear list:n3eg's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Kodak Pixpro S-1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +57 more
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208

Canon Powershot g1. Year was 2001, I think March.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads